- Associate Professor:HSE Campus in St. Petersburg / St.Petersburg School of Economics and Management / Department of Management
- Florian Stache has been at HSE since 2017.
Doctor of Sciences*
A post-doctoral degree called Doctor of Sciences is given to reflect second advanced research qualifications or higher doctorates in ISCED 2011.
Continuing education / Professional retraining / Internships / Study abroad experience
Freie Universität Berlin 2008-2012
Dissertation in business studies within the excellence doctoral program
“Research on Organizational Path Dependence” with a grant from the
German Research Foundation (DFG). Topic: “Gradual Path-Breaking Organizational Change
in Russian Healthcare? From Centralization to Multicenter Cooperation in the
Field of Children Oncohematology”. Supervisors Prof. Dr. Jörg Sydow
(Freie Universität Berlin), Prof. Dr. Volker Amelung (MH Hannover),
Prof. David Stark (Columbia University)
Grade: 1st class/highest honors (“summa cum laude”)
Freie Universität Berlin 2006
Graduation in business studies (Dipl.-Kfm., equiv. MSc.)
Thesis: “Cooperation with Eastern European Companies:
Partnership without Trust?”, including extensive fieldwork in Ukraine
Grade: 1.6 (best 5%)
Pischepromavtomatika Odessa 2003
Assisting the operations of an Ukrainian IT consulting enterprise
Bayer España S. A. Madrid (previously Schering) 1999
Assistant to the board member responsible for organization. Co-developing
a new organizational structure
Universidad Carlos III Madrid 2000
Awards and Accomplishments
Student Term / Thesis Papers
The Triple Helix Model: Can it Support Collective Innovation Strategies in Russia? The Example of the Saint-Petersburg and Leningrad Region Medical, Pharmaceutical and Radiation Technology Cluster (2019 ongoing)
Between Copying, Translation and Failure: The Stony Way of Developing and Implementing State-of-the-Art Management Practices at Pulkovo Airport (2019 ongoing)
Shared Electric Mobility: Can St. Petersburg be a Role Model for Russia? Insights from Experiences in Budapest (2019 ongoing)
- Chapter Stache F. Clusters and Cluster Policy: Russia´s Approach to Profit from Regional Concentration of Innovative Industries, in: Russia Business Cockpit 4.0 (forthcoming). Berlin : Springer Publishing Company, 2019.
- Article Stache F., Sydow J. Breaking a Path by Creating a New One – How Organizational Change Boosts Children’s Cancer Care (2nd Revise & Resubmit) // Organization Science. 2018
- Book Stache F. Kooperation mit osteuropäischen Unternehmen: Theorie und Praxis vertrauensvoller Zusammenarbeit. Saarbrücken : VDM Verlag, 2018.
- Chapter Amelung V., Wolf A., Brümmer A., Tangermann U., Reichert A., Stache F. Neue Versorgungsformen als bedeutende Systeminnovation, in: Innovative Konzepte und Verträge in der Rückenschmerztherapie. Berlin : Medizinisch-Wissenschaftliche Verlagsgesellschaft, 2015. P. 49-73.
- Preprint Stache F., Sydow J. Path-breaking Organizational Change: Effective Cancer Treatment through Multi-Center Cooperation / The Academy of Management. Series Academy of Management Annual Meeting Proceedings "Academy of Management Annual Meeting Proceedings". 2014. No. 1.
- Book Stache F. Gradual Path-Breaking Organizational Change in Russian Healthcare? From Centralization to Multicenter Cooperation in the Field of Children Oncohematology. Berlin : Freie Universität, 2012.
- Chapter Möllering G., Stache F. Trust Development in German–Ukrainian Business Relationships: Dealing with Cultural Differences in an Uncertain Institutional Context, in: Organizational Trust: A Cultural Perspective. NY : Cambridge University Press, 2010. P. 205-226.
- Chapter Möllering G., Stache F. German-Ukrainian Business Relationships: Trust Development in the Face of Institutional Uncertainty and Cultural Differences, in: MPIfG Discussion Paper 07/11. Koln : Max-Planck-Institut für Gesellschaftsforschung, 2007.
- 2018European Group for Organizational Studies (Tallin). Presentation: When Life or Death is a Matter of Organization: How Self-reinforcing Mechanisms Helped Institutionalizing Cooperative Children Cancer Care in Contemporary Russia
- 14th Workshop on New Institutionalism in Organization Theory (Milan). Presentation: Institutional Creation Fueled by Self-reinforcing Mechanisms? How Pediatric Cancer Care was Organized in Contemporary Russia
- 2017European Group for Organizational Studies (Copenhagen). Presentation: Innovating within and across the Organizational Boundary of a Synchrotron Facility: Structural Folds, Collaborative Practices, Individual Characteristics
- Conventions of Power Conference (Reutlingen). Presentation: Die Ökonomie der Konventionen: Potenzial für die betriebswirtschaftliche Organisationstheorieforschung?
- 2016Bridges Over Troubled Water - Die Konstitution von Netzwerken im Innovationsprozess (Berlin). Presentation: Collaborating within and across the Organizational Boundary of a Synchrotron Facility: Innovation at Structural Folds?
- 2015European Group for Organizational Studies (Athens). Presentation: Innovation in a Structural Fold? Organizational dynamics of creating new knowledge at a Synchrotron facility
- Columbia University Center on Organizational Innovation Conference Workshop (New York). Presentation: Innovation in a Structural Fold? Organizational dynamics of creating new knowledge at a Synchrotron facility
- 2014Academy of Management Annual Meeting (Pennsylvania). Presentation: Path-breaking Organizational Change: Effective Cancer Treatment through Multi-Center Cooperation
- 2013European Group for Organizational Studies (Montreal). Presentation: Path-breaking Change in Russian Healthcare: Organizing Effective Cancer Treatment through Multi-center Cooperation
- Workshop on International Management (Bremen). Presentation: Jacobs University Trust and Management in Eastern Europe
- 2011Focus-Workshop Eastern Europe (Oxford ). Presentation: Oxford Brooks University Trust and Management in Eastern Europe
Triple Helix Entrepreneurship in Russia. To be developed at HSE Saint Petersburg
with foreign research partner. Status: completed draft, ready for presentation and
WZB (Berlin Social Science Center) 2016-2017
Scholarship to continue collaboration with scholars
in France on the Economics of Conventions Theory (EUR 6.200)
ISIS/PEPS (Interactions entre Science, Innovation et Société) 2015
Project funding to organize a joint conference with COI (Center on Organizational
Innovation) taking place at Columbia University, New York (EUR 15.000)
DFG (German Research Foundation) 2008-2011
Scholarship for the excellence doctoral program “Research on Organizational
Path Dependence” (EUR 45.000)
DAAD (German Academic Exchange) 2004-2005
Scholarship to conduct Fieldwork for diploma in Ukraine (EUR 4.000)
Higher School of Economics Saint Petersburg 2017-now
Department of Management
Researching innovating processes in Russian industrial clusters
Teaching Strategic Management & Organization
Freie Universität Berlin 2015-now
School of Business and Economics, chair for inter-firm cooperation
Researching innovating processes in healthcare networks
Teaching Supply and Operations Management, key example car industry
École Normale Supérieure de Cachan Paris 2014-2015
Researching high-tech, high investment innovation in a synchrotron (SOLEIL)
within an evolving cluster (PARIS-SACLAY)
Teaching innovation in the car industry (RENAULT)
in collaboration with the international GERPISA automobile network
Columbia University New York
Postdoc (visiting) 2013
Center on Organizational Innovation Prof. David Stark
Researching path-breaking organizational change
Rossiya Airlines (scheduled) 2019
Executive Trainer. Strategic management, innovation, digital transformation
Freelance Consultant. Change management: responsible for the
preparation of the Bayer-Monsanto takeover reputation report.
Evaluating the potential change of perception amongst industry
experts in 11 key countries
Inav Institute for Applied Healthcare Research 2013
Consultant. Change management: developing concepts for
organizational change and digital health (Pfizer, MSD, BAG)
ZAO Terminal Smolensk 2007-2008
Vice-president. Representing the German investor starting up
a German-Russian logistics joint venture. Company founding,
warehouse design, construction planning
Droege&Comp. Internationale Unternehmer Beratung Duesseldorf 2006-2007
Consultant. Supply chain strategy development for one of the leading
German boutique strategy consultancies. Reorganizing the logistics of
a Russian client (Moscow) operating in pharmaceutical retail including
warehousing design and project-management of implementation
Delfingen Automotive (previously Langendorf technische Textilien) 2005-2006
Freelance Consultant. Logistics/outsourcing: Identifying potential
cooperation partners to produce automotive textiles in Ukraine,
assisting the CEO visiting production sites
Every year, HSE hires post-doctoral researchers from all over the world. And in 2017-18, more than 30 of them started work at laboratories and research centres in a large range of fields and specializations. The HSE Lookis pleased to introduce this year’s international researchers, so that you can learn more about your colleagues and find out about opportunities for potential collaboration.