- Elena Sautkina has been at HSE University since 2018.
Education and Degrees
PhD in Environmental Psychology
Paris V University (Paris Descartes)
Master's in Social Psychology
Paris V University (Paris Descartes)
Degree with Honours in Psychology
Russian State University for the Humanities
1st Class Honours
Student Term / Thesis Papers
A. Ivanova, Effects of Interoceptive/Exteroceptive Attention and Motivation on Visuo-Spatial Perspective-Taking. Faculty of Social Sciences, 2020
S. Narymbaeva, Interoceptive Attention and Perspective-Taking in a Relationship with Dispositional Mindfulness. Faculty of Social Sciences, 2020
L. Arhin, Mob Justice: The Influence of Group Behavior. Faculty of Social Sciences, 2020
S. Pimenova, Psychosocial Factors of Pro-Environmental Behavior at the Workplace. Faculty of Social Sciences, 2020
F. Agisova, Environmental Concern and Pro-Environmental Behavior in Kazakhstan: The Role of Values and Social Axioms. Faculty of Social Sciences, 2020
- Research Seminar: Analysis of Text Data in Social Studies (Bachelor’s programme; Faculty of Social Sciences; 3 year, 2, 3 module)Rus
- Theory and Methodology of Modern Psychology (Master’s programme; Faculty of Social Sciences; 1 year, 1, 2 module)Eng
- Theory and Methods of Social Psychology for Scientific Evaluation of Programs (Bachelor’s programme; Faculty of Social Sciences; 3 year, 1, 2 module)Eng
- Book Cummins S., Ogilvie D., White M., Petticrew M., Jones A., Goodwin D., Sautkina E., Mapp F. National Evaluation of the Healthy Communities Challenge Fund: The Healthy Towns Programme in England. Technical Report. London: London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, 2016.
- Book Poortinga W., Sautkina E., Thomas G., Wolstenholme E. The English plastic bag charge: Changes in attitudes and behaviour. [Project Report]. Cardiff: Cardiff University, 2016.
Articles and book chapters19
- Article Agissova F., Sautkina E. The Role of Personal and Political Values in Predicting Environmental Attitudes and Pro-environmental Behavior in Kazakhstan // Frontiers in Psychology. 2020. Vol. 11. P. 3660. doi
- Article Иванова А. А., Агисова Ф. Б., Сауткина Е. В. Проэкологическое поведение в России: адаптация шкалы Кэмерона Брика и связь с экологической обеспокоенностью // Психологические исследования: электронный научный журнал. 2020. Т. 13. № 70. С. 7.
- Article Thomas G. O., Sautkina E., Poortinga W., Wolstenholme E., Whitmarsh L. E. The English plastic bag charge changed behaviour and increased support for other charges to reduce plastic waste // Frontiers in Psychology. 2019. No. 10:266. P. 1-12. doi
- Article Nash N., Whitmarsh L., Capstick S., Hargreaves T., Poortinga W., Thomas G., Sautkina E., Xenias D. Climate-relevant behavioral spillover and the potential contribution of social practice theory. // WIREs Climate Change. 2017. Vol. 8. No. 6. P. 1-16. doi
- Article Thomas G., Poortinga W., Sautkina E. Habit discontinuity, self-activation, and the diminishing influence of context change: evidence from the UK understanding society survey // Plos One. 2016. Vol. 11. No. 4. P. 1-16. doi
- Article Thomas G., Poortinga W., Sautkina E. The Welsh single-use carrier bag charge and behavioral spillover. // Journal of Environmental Psychology. 2016. Vol. 47. P. 126-135. doi
- Article Goodwin D., Mapp F., Sautkina E., Jones A., Ogilvie D., White M., Petticrew M., Cummins S. How can planning add value to obesity prevention programmes? A qualitative study of planning and planners in the Healthy Towns programme in England // Health and Place. 2014. Vol. 30. P. 120-126. doi
- Article Sautkina E., Goodwin D., Jones A., Ogilvie D., Petticrew M., White M., Cummins S. Lost in translation? Theory, policy and practice in systems-based environmental approaches to obesity prevention in the Healthy Towns programme in England // Health and Place. 2014. Vol. 29. P. 60-66. doi
- Article Kearns A., McKee M., Sautkina E., Cox J., Bond L. How to mix? Spatial configurations, modes of production and resident perceptions of mixed tenure neighbourhoods // Cities. 2013. Vol. 35. P. 397-408. doi
- Article Kearns A., McKee M., Sautkina E., Weeks G., Bond L. Mixed-Tenure Orthodoxy: Practitioner Reflections on Policy Effects // Cityscape. 2013. Vol. 15. No. 2. P. 47-67.
- Article Sautkina E., Cummins S., Petticrew M., Goodwin D., Jones A., Ogilvie D., White M. More than Obesity Prevention? Defining Outcomes in the Healthy Towns Programme in England // Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health. 2013. Vol. 67. No. 1. P. A31-A31. doi
- Article Sautkina E., Bond L., Kearns A. Mixed Evidence on Mixed Tenure Effects: Findings from a Systematic Review of UK Studies, 1995–2009 // Housing Studies. 2012. Vol. 27. No. 6. P. 748-782. doi
- Article Goodwin D., Cummins S., Sautkina E., Ogilvie D., Petticrew M., Jones A., Wheeler K., White M. The role and status of evidence and innovation in the healthy towns programme in England: a qualitative stakeholder interview study // Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health. 2012. Vol. 67. P. 106-112. doi
- Article Bond L., Sautkina E., Kearns A. Mixed Messages about Mixed Tenure: Do Reviews Tell the Real Story? // Housing Studies. 2011. Vol. 26. No. 1. P. 69-94 . doi
- Article Egan M., Kearns A., Tannahill C., Bond L., Coyle J., Beck S., Crawford F., Hanlon P., Lawson L., McLean J., Petticrew M., Sautkina E., Thomson H., Walsh D. Protocol for a mixed methods study investigating the impact of investment in housing, regeneration and neighbourhood renewal on the health and wellbeing of residents: the GoWell programme // BMC Medical Research Methodology. 2010. Vol. 10. No. 41. P. 1-12. doi
- Article Gifford R., Scannell L., Kormos S., Smolova L., Biel A., Boncu S., Corral V., Günther H., Hanyu K., Hine D., Kaiser F., Korpela K., Lima M., Mertig A., Garcia-Mira R., Moser G., Passafaro P., Pinheiro J., Saini S., Sako T., Sautkina E., Savina Y., Schmuck P., Schultz W., Sobeck K., Sundblad E., Uzzell D. Temporal pessimism and spatial optimism in environmental assessments: An 18-nation study // Journal of Environmental Psychology. 2009. Vol. 29. No. 1. P. 1-12. doi
- Article Sautkina E., Kochetkov N. Notes on the current state of environmental psychology in Russia // Bulletin of People-Environment Studies. 2008. Vol. 34. P. 35-39.
- Chapter Amador S., Sautkina E. Analysing incivilities in places of business open to the public: Linking theory, research and practice., in: Environmental Psychology: Putting research into practice. Cambridge Scholars Publishing, 2007. P. 61-73.
- Chapter Rouquette M., Sautkina E., Castro P., Felonneau M., Michel-Guillou E. Social representations theory and environmental studies, in: Designing social innovation: planning, building, evaluating. Göttingen : Hogrefe & Huber Publishers, 2005. P. 107-115.
- 2018Московский Урбанистический Форум. Мегаполис будущего. Новое пространство для жизни. (Москва). Presentation: Transforming Urban Stressors into Opportunities: A Transactional Approach
- 2017International Conference on Environmental Psychology. Theories of Change and Social Innovation in Transitions Towards Sustainability (А-Корунья). Presentation: Behavioural and policy spillover of the English Plastic Bag Charge: Findings from a longitudinal mixed-methods research.
- 2016British Psychological Society, Social Psychology Section Annual Conference (Кардифф). Presentation: ‘It makes me think’. A Multi-Method Study of the English Plastic Bag Charge as a Habit Disruptor.
- 24th IAPS conference. The human being at home, work and leisure. Sustainable use and development of indoor and outdoor spaces in late modern everyday life. (Лунд). Presentation: The English Plastic Bag Charge and Environmental Behaviour Change: A Diary-Interview Study.
- XVI Polish Sociological Congress (Гданьск). Presentation: Awareness, compassion and non-duality: How Social Sciences can contribute to a positive shift in the times of unrest.
- 201511th Biennial Conference on Environmental Psychology (Гренинген). Presentation: People, environments and change. Open questions for travelers in time and complexity.
- 2nd Annual Conference of the British Environmental Psychology Society. (Шеффилд). Presentation: Identifying ‘candidate behaviours’ for behaviour spillover of the Plastic Bag Charge.
- 2nd Annual Conference of the British Environmental Psychology Society. (Шеффилд). Presentation: Patterns of Pro-Environmental Behaviours, and their Associations with Values and Attitudes.
- 201310th Biennial Environmental Psychology Conference, German Association of Environmental Psychology (Магдебург). Presentation: Environmental sustainability co-benefits of tackling obesity in the Healthy Towns Programme in England.
- Society for Social Medicine Annual Scientific Meeting (Брайтон). Presentation: Defining ‘relevant outcomes’ in the Healthy Towns Programme in England.
- Annual meeting of the International Society for Behavioural Nutrition and Physical Activity. (Гент). Presentation: Wider than obesity prevention? Defining outcomes in the Healthy Towns Programme in England.
2015-2017: Pro-environmental behaviours in supermarkets: An observational study of carrier bag use in England and Wales. Cardiff University.
2015-2018: The English Plastic Bag Charge and Behavioural Spillover: A Field Experiment,
Diary Study and Secondary Data Analysis. ESRC.
2010-2014: National Evaluation of the Healthy Towns Programme in England. Funder: Department of Health, England.
2008-2010: GoWell, a 10-year learning and evaluation programme. Funders: Scottish Government, Glasgow Housing Association, NHS Health Scotland.
2005-2008: Environmental and Psychosocial Factors of Sense of Safety in Built Environment. Post-doctoral fellowship grant. The Foundation of Science and Technology, Portugal. (Individual fellowship)
2004-2005: Study of Socio-Environmental Bonds: Social Distinction and Incivilities in Places of Business Open to the Public. SNCF, La Poste, Galeries Lafayette.
2000-2003. Pick-pocketing: environmental and psychosocial factors of the
delinquent-victim interaction. PhD fellowship. Ministry of Foreign Affairs, France. (Individual fellowship)
1998-1999: Postgraduate fellowship grant. Ministry of Foreign Affairs, France. (Individual fellowship)
2018 – present: Professor
National Research University Higher School of Economics, Moscow, Russia.
2015 – 2017: Research Associate
Welsh School of Architecture, Cardiff University, UK.
2010 – 2014: Research Fellow
Department of Social and Environmental Health Research, London School of Hygiene and
Tropical Medicine, UK.
2008 – 2010: Investigator Scientist
Social and Public Health Sciences Unit, Medical Research Council, Glasgow University, UK.
2005 – 2008: Post-Doctoral Fellow
Department of Social and Organisational Psychology, Lisbon University Institute - ISCTE,
2004 – 2005: Research Associate
Laboratory of Environmental Psychology CNRS UMR 8069, René Descartes - Paris 5
1999 – 2004: Research and Teaching Assistant
Laboratory of Environmental Psychology CNRS UMR 8069, René Descartes - Paris 5
At the first seminar of Environmental Psychology Research and Study Group, Professor Elena Sautkina (Department of Psychology, HSE University) presented a report: Psychology’s Role in Studying Pro-Environmental Behaviour. The seminar was held on Feb. 11 on the Zoom platform.
April 5-6 the VI International Research Conference "Culture in society, between groups and across generations", organized by the International Laboratory for Socio-Cultural Research at the Expert Institute of the Higher School of Economics took place in Moscow.
How the British society tackles excessive plastic bag use
On December 11 Elena Sautkina (PhD, Professor, Department of Psychology,Higher School of Economics, Moscow, Russia) took part in the "Culture matters" research seminar with the report "Habit Disruption and Behaviour Spillover. A Study of the English Plastic Bag Charge".