Glenn Eric Andre Diesen
- Glenn Eric Andre Diesen has been at HSE since 2018.
Education and Degrees
Master's in International Relations
Master's in International Business and Marketing Strategies
University of Sydney
- 2017International Conference on Innovative Research and Development (Бангкок). Presentation: Conceptualising Russia as an Asian Democracy
- Global Studies Conference (Сингапур). Presentation: Russia and the Geoeconomics of Eurasian Connectivity
- 2016APSec (Osaka). Presentation: Russia and Japan at a Crossroad: Russia’s Pivot to Asia and the End of Status Quo
- 2015The Eurasian Project in a Global Perspective (Cambridge). Presentation: The Eurasian Economic Union and the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation
- China’s Energy Outreach and its Impact on the Regional Order in Asia Pacific and Beyond (Ningbo). Presentation: Cooperation, conflict, contradiction…? Russia’s energy pivot to Asia
- National and International Security (Bachelor’s programme; Faculty of World Economy and International Affairs; programme "International Relations"; 4 year, 2, 3 module)Eng
- New Approaches to Sociopolitical and Economic Development of Asia (Master’s programme; Faculty of World Economy and International Affairs; programme "Socioeconomic and Political Development of Modern Asia"; 1 year, 1-4 module)Eng
- Research Seminar "Political and Economic Analysis of International Affairs in Asia" (Master’s programme; Faculty of World Economy and International Affairs; programme "International Relations: European and Asian Studies"; 2 year, 1-4 module)Rus
- The Key Problems in Asian Studies Research (Master’s programme; Faculty of World Economy and International Affairs; programme "Socioeconomic and Political Development of Modern Asia"; 1 year, 1 module)Eng
- Article Diesen G. E. China’s Geoeconomics and the ‘New Cold War’ // Valdai International Discussion Club Publication. 2018. No. 96. P. 3-15.
- Book Diesen G. E. The Decay of Western Civilisation and Resurgence of Russia: Between Gemeinschaft and Gesellschaft. L. : Routledge, 2018.
- Article Diesen G. E. The Geoeconomics of the Russian–Japanese Territorial Dispute // Asian Survey. 2018. Vol. 58. No. 3. P. 582-605. doi
- Article Diesen G. E., Keane C. The offensive posture of NATO's missile defence system // Communist and Post-Communist Studies. 2018. Vol. 51. No. 2. P. 91-100. doi
- Book Diesen G. E. Russia's Geoeconomic Strategy for a Greater Eurasia. L. : Routledge, 2017. doi
- Article Diesen G. E., Keane C. The two-tiered division of Ukraine: historical narratives in nation-building and region-building // Journal of Balkan and Near Eastern Studies. 2017. Vol. 19. No. 3. P. 313-329. doi
- Article Дисен Гленн Россия, Китай и "баланс зависимости" в Большой Евразии // Россия в глобальной политике. 2017. Т. 15. № 2. С. 208-219.
- Article Diesen G. E., Gatev I. Eurasian encounters: the Eurasian Economic Union and the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation // European Politics and Society. 2016. Vol. 17. No. 1. P. 133-150. doi
- Article Diesen G. E., Keane C. Divided we stand: the US foreign policy bureaucracy and nation-building in Afghanistan // Journal of International Peacekeeping. 2015. Vol. 22. No. 3. P. 205-229. doi
- Book Diesen G. E. EU and NATO Relations with Russia: After the Collapse of the Soviet Union. L. : Routledge, 2015. (in press)
- Article Diesen G. E. Inter-democratic security institutions and the security dilemma: a neoclassical realist model of the EU and NATO after the end of the Soviet Union // East European Quarterly. 2015. Vol. 43. No. 2-3. P. 137-161.
- Article Дисэн Г. Евроинтеграция поневоле? Оценивая “наступательный” характер ОПБО ЕС // Полис. Политические исследования. 2015. № 6. С. 81-102. doi
- Article Diesen G. E., Wood S. Russia's proposal for a new security system: confirming diverse perspectives // Australian Journal of International Affairs. 2012. P. 450-467. doi
Higher School of Economics, Moscow, Russia
Professor Sep 2018 - ongoing
Higher School of Economics, Moscow, Russia
Visiting Scholar Aug 2017 - Aug 2018
Western Sydney University, Sydney, Australia
Adjunct Research Fellow Aug 2016 - ongoing
Macquarie University, Sydney, Australia
Associate Lecturer/Scholarly Teaching Fellow Feb 2015 - Dec 2017
Macquarie University / University of Sydney, Sydney, Australia
Casual Convenor, Lecturer and Tutor Feb 2011 - Feb 2015
From January 21 to January 31, 2019 in HSE buildings on Myasnitskaya 20, Myasnitskaya 9/11 and Armenian pereulok 4 International Winter School was held. It was organized by the Faculty of World Economy and International Affairs.
Glenn Diesen, the Professor of the School of International Affairs, published the article called “China’s Geoeconomics and the “New Cold War” in “Russia in Global Affairs” journal.
On November 15, the official opening of the academic exchange program between the Eurasian Economic Union countries was held in HSE by Centre for Comprehensive European and International Studies (CCEIS) as a part of the research project “Developing a Modern Paradigm of the Development of the EAEU with Regard to Global Challenges”.
In October, the International Laboratory on World Order Studies and the New Regionalism hosted a research seminar in which Dr. Glenn Diesen, Professor in the Faculty of World Economy and International Affairs at HSE, presented a recent paper entitled ‘Geoeconomics in the Fourth Industrial Revolution: The Restructuring of Global Value Chains.’ The discussion centred on how technology has become increasingly important for competitiveness in global value chains. This subsequently incentivizes government support for technological development as the main tool for Great Power rivalry, which can be seen in the cooperation between Western governments and corporations over the past several decades to develop technological leadership with high-value activities and concurrently engineer hierarchically-structured global value chains.