- Leading Expert:Institute of Education
- Associate Professor:Institute of Education / Department of Educational Programmes
- Lada Smirnova has been at HSE University since 2018.
Lada Smirnova holds a PhD in Education from the University of Manchester. Her primary research interest is in the area of sustainable human development and well-being, the development of twenty-first-century skills such as problem solving and decision making for acting in complex systems. She has expertise in using Cultural Historical Activity Theory for designing blended and online programmes. In spite of her substential teaching load, Lada remains an active scholar, currently working on a book on how the technological push of 2020 influences teachers, and how they influence those learning environments they create.
Education and Degrees
Doctor of Sciences*
University of Manchester
Master's in Arts and Humanities
University of Manchester
Degree in Linguistics
Moscow State Pedagogical University
A post-doctoral degree called Doctor of Sciences is given to reflect second advanced research qualifications or higher doctorates in ISCED 2011.
Continuing education / Professional retraining / Internships / Study abroad experience
PhD in Education, University of Manchester, UK, 2019
Positive Psychology, Radboud University, The Netherlands, 2017.
Educational Technology in TESOL, University of Shieffild, UK, 2016-2017
MA in Educational Technology and TESOL, University of Manchester, UK, 2012
DELTA, University of Cambridge, UK, 2007
CELTA, University of Cambridge, UK, 2003
ICELT, University of Cambridge, UK, 2000
Smirnova, L. O., 2018. Integrating technology into the university language classroom. Presentation at the EARLI Conference, University of Cambridge, 28 August, 2018, Cambridge, UK.
Smirnova, L. O., 2018. Implementing technology in Russian Higher Education: the CHAT perspecive. Presentation at the Social Theories of learning group, the School of Environment, Education and Development in the University of Manchester, April 21, 2018, Manchester, UK.
Smirnova, L. O., 2017. Exploring perezhivanie as an internalised psychological tool for teacher thinking and activity in integrating technology. 5th International Congress of the International Society for Cultural and Activity Research (ISCAR), 28 August to 01 September 2017, Quebec, Canada.
Smirnova, L. O., 2016. Teacher Development in integrating technology: mind the gap. A keynote speech delivered at the 3rd Conference on ‘Internationalisation of Russian higher education’ National University of Science and Technology "MISIS" (MISIS), November 25, 2016, Moscow, Russia.
Smirnova, L. O., 2016. Exploring a new psychological tool in teacher development in ICT in Russian Higher Education context. Oral presentation at the ‘Kaleidoscope’ LATERN conference, the University of Manchester, June 17, 2015, Manchester, UK.
Smirnova, L. O., 2013. Flipping language classroom to meet the needs of students. A keynote speech delivered at ‘Innovations in foreign language teaching’ conference, Plekhanov Russian University of Economics, Jan., 22, 2013, Moscow, Russia.
Smirnova, L. O., 2012. Designing a blended learning curriculum for final year students. Oral presentation. Faculty of Real Estate Management, Russian Presidential Academy of National Economy and Public Administration, Dec., 24, 2012, Moscow, Russia.
Smirnova, L. O., 2012. Integrating Web 2.0 tools into Language Classroom. Oral presentation. Faculty of Government Management. Russian Presidential Academy of National Economy and Public Administration, Dec., 12, 2012, Moscow, Russia.
Conference support grant, the University of Manchester, 2017.
NWDTC event grant for ‘Emotions and Agency in teaching and beyond’, the University of Manchester, 2018.
- Article Smirnova L. Two forms of perezhivanie that work: integrating technology into a Russian university language classroom // The European Journal of Applied Linguistics and TEFL. 2020. Vol. 9. No. 2. P. 65-82.
- Chapter Смирнова Л. О. Использование деятельностного подхода В.В. Давыдова при проектировании магистерской программы // В кн.: Научная Школа В.В.Давыдова: Традиции и Инновации. ФГБОУ ВО МГППУ, 2020. С. 250-252.
- Book Smirnova L. Integrating technology into the university language classroom: a study of complexities and perezhivanie in teachers' experience. Vol. Integrating technology into the university language classroom: a study of complexities and perezhivanie in teachers' experience. Manchester : University of Manchester, 2019.
- Chapter Smirnova L. Teachers doing classroom-based research: overview and practical possibilities, in: 4th international Conference on ESP/EAP/EMI in the context of Higher Education Internationalization Vol. Teachers doing classroom-based research: overview and practical possibilities. M. : -, 2017. P. 70-84.
- Chapter Smirnova L. Language teacher development in integrating technology: mind the gap, in: 3rd international Conference on ESP/EAP/EMI in the context of Higher Education Internationalization. -, 2016. P. 70-85.
- Book Smirnova L. Using Action Research to explore Web 2.0 possibilities with Russian teachers of English. University of Manchester, 2012.