- Leading Research Fellow:International laboratory for Applied Network Research
- Associate Professor:Faculty of Social Sciences / School of Sociology / Department of Sociological Research Methods
- Programme Deputy Academic Supervisor:Master of Data and Network Analytics, Applied Statistics with Network Analysis
- Dmitry Zaytsev has been at HSE University since 2007.
Education and Degrees
Candidate of Sciences* (PhD) in Political Institutes, Processes and Technologies
Institute of World Economy and International Relations (IMEMO), Russian Academy of Sciences
Bachelor's in Political Science
HSE University, Applied Political Science
According to the International Standard Classification of Education (ISCED) 2011, Candidate of Sciences belongs to ISCED level 8 - "doctoral or equivalent", together with PhD, DPhil, D.Lit, D.Sc, LL.D, Doctorate or similar. Candidate of Sciences allows its holders to reach the level of the Associate Professor.
Continuing education / Professional retraining / Internships / Study abroad experience
2010 - Workshop for HSE professors and teachers «Public policy: concepts and methods» by professor Giliberto Capano (University of Bologna) with presentation: «Public policy in system of close concepts: «political science», «political strategic planning», «political consulting», «political decision-making», «public administration». Workshop was organized by Public Policy Department in framework of joint academic exchange program between HSE and UniBo
2010 - Workshop for HSE professors and teachers "Quantitative methods in teaching of public policy" by professor Lucio Picci (University of Bologna). Workshop was organized by Public Policy Department in framework of joint academic exchange program between HSE and UniBo
2012 - Workshop for HSE professors and managers "Research methods of globalization issues: example of Globalization and Welfare State topic" by professor Rosa Mule (University of Bologna). Workshop was organized by Public Policy Department in framework of joint academic exchange program between HSE and UniBo
2014 - Workshop for HSE professors and managers «Comparative Public Policy Analysis» on issue of analytical communities in policy advisory systems at global and local levels, organized by Public Policy Department with participation of Goldstone, Jack (professor of Public Policy, School of Public Policy, George Mason University, USA); Howlett, Michael (Professor at Simon Fraser University, Canada; Policy Design Lab Project Director at the National University of Singapore), Fischer, Frank (Professor of Politics and Global Affairs. Rutgers University, USA; Political Science Dept. and E.J. Bloustein School of Planning and Public Policy), Hoppe, Robert (Professor of Policy and Knowledge of University of Twente, the Netherlands)
2014 - Presentation by chief-editors and representatives of international academic journals - Iris Geva May (Journal of Comparative Policy Analysis), Michael Howlett (Policy Science), Robert Fisher (Critical Policy Analysis) for HSE professors and managers with participation of leading HSE journals International Organizations and International Foresight.
15.04.2015 - Workshop for HSE professors and managers "How to organize succsesful international conference?" by Philippe Zittoun - PhD, Political Science and Public Policy, Organizer of first and second International conferences in Public Policy
18.09.2015 - Workshop for HSE professors and managers "The ‘Law in Context’ Approach: Teaching and Researching in an International and Multidisciplinary Environmen" by Giuliano Castellano - PhD in Law, PhD in Economics and Social Sciences, researcher in Warwick School of Law
2016, July, 4-8 - Fifth International Summer School "Theory and Methods of Exponential Random Graph Modeling", International Laboratory for Applied Network Research (HSE), Moscow
2016, August, 1-5 - Sixth International Summer School "Theory and Methods of Longitudinal Social Network Analysis", International Laboratory for Applied Network Research (HSE), Moscow
Young Faculty Support Program (Group of Young Academic Professionals)
Category "Future Professoriate" (2011-2012)
Category "Future Lecturers" (2009)
Student Term / Thesis Papers
Y. Kozlova, Civil Participation in Russia: from Non-Conventional to Conventional Forms (the Case of Municipal Elections 2017). Faculty of Social Sciences, 2018
G. Petrov-nerling, Assessing Impact of Advisory Agencies on the Policy towards Civil Society in Contemporary Russia. Faculty of Social Sciences, 2019
D. Stepovaya, Political Change in Ukraine after 'Euromaidan': Main Actors and Factors. Faculty of Social Sciences, 2018
V. Suldenko, Health Care Policy in Russia: Main Stakeholders and Their Interests (the Case of Federal Program 'Pharma 2020'). Faculty of Social Sciences, 2018
I. Zarubin, Strategic Deterrence Policy in the USA and Russia: Divergence in Policy Paradigms. Faculty of Social Sciences, 2018
N. Shmaltsev, Protesters as the ‘Challengers of Status-Quo' in Embedded Democracies (USA, UK and Iceland). Faculty of Social Sciences, 2018
M. Kassab, The Reasons Behind the Diverse Actors' Coalitions in Syria (2011-2017). Faculty of Social Sciences, 2018
S. Popova, Millennium Goals of the UN Health Care Policy: Internal and External Evaluation. Faculty of Social Sciences, 2017
S. Milivinti, The Role of the European Union in Promoting Democracy in Eastern Europe: Analysis of Slovakia and Croatia. Faculty of Social Sciences, 2017
S. Toreeva, The Role of Civil Associations in Russian Policy towards Police and Prisons Monitoring: Factors and Limitations. Faculty of Social Sciences, 2017
M. Markova, Protest Public as the Drivers of Socio-Political Changes. Comparative Analysis of Chinese and Hong Kong Protests in 2010-2016. Faculty of Social Sciences, 2017
M. Erofeeva, Modeling the Impact of Mass Protests in 2010s on Political Change: Reasons for Positive and Negative Outcomes. Faculty of Social Sciences, 2017
-. Thet khaing, The Role of Civil Associations in Education and Foreign Investment Policies in Myanmar (2010-2016). Faculty of Social Sciences, 2017
V. Zhivotovskii, The Protest Publics Impact on Political Change in Greece: Testing the Role of "Watchdogs". Faculty of Social Sciences, 2017
M. Karandeev, “Protest publics” in Russia in 2011-2015: Moving from Non-Conventional to Conventional Channels of Public Interests Representation (Cases of Moscow and Saint Petersburg). Faculty of Social Sciences, 2016
A. Kononova, Modeling Policy Advisors Impact on US Policy towards “Arab Spring”: Explanatory Power of Actor-centered and Policy Advisory Systems Approaches. Faculty of Social Sciences, 2016
T. Davtyan, "Protest Publics" in Authoritarian Regimes: Defining New Democratic Practices (cases of Russia and Turkey in 2011-2015). Faculty of Social Sciences, 2016
A. Semenova, Education Policy in the Field of Legal Studies: the Constraints of Development of Capable Policy Design. Faculty of Social Sciences, 2016
H. Ait-el-caid, "Protest Publics" in Hybrid Regimes: Defining the "Triggers" of Democratic Development (cases of Morocco and Tunisia in 2010-2015). Faculty of Social Sciences, 2016
- Applied Network Analysis (Master’s programme; Faculty of Social Sciences; 2 year, 1, 2 module)Rus
- Computational Social and Network Sciences (Master’s programme; International laboratory for Applied Network Research; 1 year, 1-4 module)Eng
Introduction to Scientific Thinking and Modeling (Master’s programme; International laboratory for Applied Network Research; field of study "01.04.02. Прикладная математика и информатика", field of study "01.04.02. Прикладная математика и информатика"; 1 year, 1, 2 module)Eng
- Introduction to Statistics (Master’s programme; International laboratory for Applied Network Research; 1 year, 1 module)Eng
- Working with Network Data (Master’s programme; International laboratory for Applied Network Research; 2 year, 1-3 module)Eng
- Application of Network Theory to Social Networks (Master’s programme; International laboratory for Applied Network Research; 1 year, 1-4 module)Eng
- Applied Linear Models I (Master’s programme; International laboratory for Applied Network Research; 1 year, 1, 2 module)Eng
- Applied Network Analysis (Master’s programme; Faculty of Social Sciences; 2 year, 1, 2 module)Eng
- Contemporary Data Analysis: Methodology and Methods of Interdisciplinary Research (Master’s programme; International laboratory for Applied Network Research; 1 year, 1, 2 module)Eng
- Social Network Analysis (Master’s programme; Faculty of Social Sciences; 1 year, 3 module)Eng
- Statistics for Social Science (Bachelor’s programme; Faculty of World Economy and International Affairs; 2 year, 1-3 module)Eng
Social Network Analysis (Master’s programme; Faculty of Social Sciences; field of study "38.04.04. Государственное и муниципальное управление", field of study "41.04.04. Политология", field of study "39.04.01. Социология"; 1 year, 3 module)Eng
- Intellectual History of Europe: Antiquity and Middle Ages (Optional course; Faculty of Economic Sciences; 4 module)Eng
- Minority Rights: comparative practices (Master’s programme; Faculty of Social Sciences; spec. "Human Rights and Democratic Governance"; 2 year, 2 module)Eng
- Think Tanks as Policy Actors (Master’s programme; Faculty of Social Sciences; spec. "Public Policy Analysis"; 2 year, 1, 2 module)Eng
- 201624th World Congress of Political Science of International Political Science Association (IPSA) (Познань). Presentation: Policy Advice in Russia in 1990s-2000s: from Shaping Political Discourse to Policy Change
- 2015International Workshop on “Social Policy: Formulation and Design in Comparative Perspective” (Singapore). Presentation: Knowledge Based Governance and Social Policy Formulation and Design in Russia
- 7-th ECPR General Conference Science Po Bordeaux, 4-7 September 2013 (Bordeaux). Presentation: Positioning Actors Centered Approach Within and Vis-à-Vis Paradigms, Methodological Frameworks and Methods of Social Sciences
- 201222th World Congress of Political Science (Madrid). Presentation: Fighting Myths in Democracy Evaluation by Formal Concept Analysis Framework: Measuring Qualities vs Measuring Defects
- ECPR Joint Sessions of Workshops (Antwerp). Presentation: Formal Concept Analysis framework as a tool that broaden Qualitative Comparative Analysis technique: analyzing democratic development
- 2011IPSA-ECPR Joint Conference "Whatever Happened to North-South?" (Сан-Паулу). Presentation: Analytical Communities and Think Tanks as Boosters of Democratic Development
- Developing policy in different cultural contexts: learning from study, learning from experience (Dubrovnik). Presentation: Analytical Communities in the Local Policy Process: Creating Self-Identity
- IPSA-ECPR Joint Conference "Whatever Happened to North-South?" (Сан-Паулу). Presentation: A Multidimensional Model for Analyzing Democratic Development in Central and Eastern Europe
Dissertation for a degree of Candidate of Science
- Chapter Zaytsev D., Kuskova V., Lushnikova P., Khvatsky Gregory. Cross-efficiency of International Sanctions: Application of Data Envelopment Analysis and Network Methodology, in: Analysis of Images, Social Networks and Texts. 8th International Conference, AIST 2019, Kazan, Russia, July 17–19, 2019, Revised Selected Papers. Communications in Computer and Information Science Vol. 1086. Springer, 2020. doi P. 72-82. doi
- Chapter Zaytsev D., Kuskova V. Data Envelopment Analysis as a Tool to Evaluate Marketing Policy Reliability, in: Reliability and Statistical Computing. Springer, 2020. doi P. 289-304. doi
- Chapter Zaytsev D., Gregory Khvatsky, Talovsky N., Kuskova V. Network Analysis Methodology of Policy Actors Identification and Power Evaluation (the case of the Unified State Exam introduction in Russia), in: Network Algorithms, Data Mining, and Applications. Springer Proceedings in Mathematics & Statistics. Springer, 2020. doi P. 231-244. doi
- Chapter Kuskova V., Zaytsev D. Clustering Based on Data Envelopment Analysis: Application to Management Research and Practice, in: Proceedings - 25th ISSAT International Conference on Reliability and Quality in Design 2019. , 2019. P. 142-145.
- Chapter Zaytsev D., Galina A., Sokol A. Cross-National Comparison of Protest Publics’ Roles as Drivers of Change: From Clusters to Models, in: Protest Publics. Toward a New Concept of Mass Civic Action / Отв. ред.: N. Y. Belyaeva, D. Zaytsev, V. A. Albert. Switzerland : Springer, 2019. doi P. 157-182. doi
- Chapter Zaytsev D., Kuskova V. Efficient Marketing Strategy: Application of Data Envelopment Analysis as an Optimization Tool, in: Proceedings - 25th ISSAT International Conference on Reliability and Quality in Design 2019. , 2019. P. 228-232.
- Article Zaytsev D. Fluctuating capacity of policy advice in Russia: testing theory in developing country context // Policy Studies. 2019. Vol. 40. No. 3-4. P. 353-373. doi
- Chapter Kuskova V., Khvatsky Gregory, Zaytsev D., Talovsky N. Multilevel exponential random graph models application to civil participation studies, in: Analysis of Images, Social Networks and Texts. 8th International Conference, AIST 2019, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Revised Selected Papers / Ed. by W. M. van der Aalst, V. Batagelj, D. I. Ignatov, M. Y. Khachay, V. Kuskova, A. Kutuzov, S. Kuznetsov, I. A. Lomazova, N. Loukachevitch, A. Napoli, P. M. Pardalos, M. Pelillo, A. Savchenko, E. Tutubalina. Vol. 11832. Cham : Springer, 2019. doi P. 265-275. doi
- Book Protest Publics. Toward a New Concept of Mass Civic Action / Отв. ред.: N. Y. Belyaeva, D. Zaytsev, V. A. Albert. Switzerland : Springer, 2019. doi
- Chapter Shmaltsev Nikita Iosifovich, Zaytsev D. Protesters as the “Challengers of the Status Quo” in Embedded Democracies: The Cases of Iceland, the United Kingdom, and the United States, in: Protest Publics. Toward a New Concept of Mass Civic Action / Отв. ред.: N. Y. Belyaeva, D. Zaytsev, V. A. Albert. Switzerland : Springer, 2019. doi P. 183-201. doi
- Chapter Zaytsev D., Talovsky N., Kuskova V., Khvatsky Gregory. The Entity Name Identification in Classification Algorithm: Testing the Advocacy Coalition Framework by Document Analysis (The Case of Russian Civil Society Policy), in: Analysis of Images, Social Networks and Texts. 8th International Conference, AIST 2019, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Revised Selected Papers / Ed. by W. M. van der Aalst, V. Batagelj, D. I. Ignatov, M. Y. Khachay, V. Kuskova, A. Kutuzov, S. Kuznetsov, I. A. Lomazova, N. Loukachevitch, A. Napoli, P. M. Pardalos, M. Pelillo, A. Savchenko, E. Tutubalina. Vol. 11832. Cham : Springer, 2019. doi P. 276-288. doi
- Chapter Zaytsev D. Governance and the State: Theory and Russian Specifics, in: Global Encyclopedia of Public Administration, Public Policy, and Governance (2018). Cham : Springer, 2018. doi P. 1-17. doi
- Chapter Zaytsev D., Drozdova D. Mapping Paradigms of Social Sciences: Application of Network Analysis, in: Computational Aspects and Applications in Large-Scale Networks. Springer Proceedings in Mathematics & Statistics Vol. 247. Springer, 2018. doi P. 235-253. doi
- Chapter Zaytsev D. The riven policy style of a post-empire state: the case of Russia, in: Policy Styles and Policy-Making. Exploring the Linkages / 1st Edition. L. : Routledge, 2018. Ch. 14. P. 289-311. doi
- Chapter Zaytsev D. Brazilian Protests: Actors and Demands for Political Changes, in: Non-western social movements and participatory democracy: Protest in the age of transnationalism / Ed. by E. Arbatli, D. Rosenberg. Switzerland : Springer, 2017. doi P. 43-64. doi
- Article Zaytsev D., Belyaeva N. Y. Determinants of the Policy Impact of Analytical Communities in Russian Regions: Cases of Karelia, Tatarstan and Saratov // Central European Journal of Public Policy. 2017. Vol. 11. No. 2. P. 23-42. doi
- Chapter Zaytsev D. Public Attitudes towards Minorities: Who and Why are Discriminated, in: The European Convention on Human Rights and the Principle of Non-Discrimination. Napoli : Editoriale Scientifica, 2017. P. 275-289.
- Chapter Belyaeva N. Y., Zaytsev D. Analytical Communities as Resource for Strategic Planning on Local Level in Russia (Case Studies of Saratov, Karelia, and Tatarstan), in: XVI Апрельская международная научная конференция по проблемам развития экономики и общества: в 4 кн. / Отв. ред.: Е. Г. Ясин. Кн. 3. М. : Издательский дом НИУ ВШЭ, 2016. P. 275-286.
- Article Anufriev A., Zaytsev D. “Protest Publics” in Egypt and Turkey from 2011 Till Present Days: Assessment of Impact on Political Changes // Comparative Politics (Russia). 2016. Vol. 7. No. 2(23). P. 34-47. doi
- Theory & Methodology in Political Sciences
- Political Changes & Democracy Studies
- Political system & Processes in Modern Russia
- Specific Features & Transformations of the Russian Political Regime
- Non-governmental Actors as Policy Drivers
- Think Tanks as the Drivers of Political Changes
The academic achievements of Dmitry Zaytsev, Leading Research Fellow of the International Laboratory for Applied Network Research, were recognized in the HSE Science Foundation competition framework. Congratulations to Dmitry on the recognition of his research results and the received academic allowance of the 3rd level for publication in an international peer-reviewed scientific journal for one year.
The conference 'Networks in the Global World' was held online on July 7-9, 2020. ANR-Lab members and MANSA graduates participated in the conferece sessions. ANR-Lab held its own session on scientific networks.
On April 20-21, the two-day online section “Network Analysis” was held as part of the XXI April International Scientific Conference on the Problems of Economic and Social Development, organized by the International laboratory of applied network research. Both days were fruitful and rich in scientific communication: the section brought together researchers from different cities of Russia, Slovenia and the USA.
Our team members at the workshop «Studying Policy Tools: Procedural Tools and Instrument Calibrations» in Melbourne
On January 23-24, a workshop on the study of policy tools was held at the University of Melbourne, Australia. Valentina Kuskova, Head of ANR-Lab, and Dmitry Zaitsev, Leading Research Fellow, made presentation “Policy Tools and Policy Networks: Application of Social Network Analysis”.
Valentina Kuskova and Dmitry Zaytsev at the 12th Political Networks Conference organized by American Political Science Association (APSA)
ANR-Lab members took part in the main event in the field of social network analysis – XXXIX SunbeltSocial Networks Conference in Montreal, Canada.
At the XX April International Academic Conference on Economic and Social Development, ANR-Lab organized its own section "Network Analysis".
Employees of the International Laboratory for Applied Network Research took part in the annual conference of the European Consortium for Political Studies, which was held on August 22-25 in Hamburg, Germany.
Members of the International laboratory for Applied Network Research took part at the Conference “Networks in the Global World. Principles behind Structures: Patterns of complexity in European societies and beyond”, which was held on July 4-6 in St. Petersburg.
On May 18-19, the 8th International Conference on Network Analysis was held, organized by our friends and colleagues – Laboratory of Algorithms and Technologies for Networks Analysis – together with Yandex and the Laboratory of Advanced Combinatorics and Network Applications of MIPT. The conference was held in Yandex office in Moscow.
ANR-Lab members took part in the open stand up conference “Networks 4.0. The Speed of Changes”, which took place on April 13 at the “Boiling Point ASI”.
From 24th to 28th July, Moscow hosted the Eighth International summer school 'Theory and Methods of Network Analysis' for students and researchers, held by the HSE International Laboratory for Applied Network Research. Its academic supervisor Stanley Wasserman from Indiana University Bloomington took part in the summer school's work.
Members of the ANR-Lab have organized its own session “SNA in Russia: Progress and Prospects” at the XXXVII SUNBELT CONFERENCE of the INTERNATIONAL NETWORK FOR SOCIAL NETWORK ANALYSIS, which took place in Beijin, China from May 30 till Jine 4.
Public Policy Department Winter School 2016 was as usual a great avenue to meet prospective students, share with them all the interesting academic and non-formal activities in the department. The two days power-packed and intensive activity of teaching and learning will be an unforgettable experience for the all the prospective students as the various professors from the department presented various topics to them.
How can we overcome the issue of 'descriptive public policy' and what kind of public policy theory do we need for it? Second academic seminar was built around the discussion of these pertinent questions.
International Spring School on Human Rights Debates Issues of Religion, Identity and Freedom of Conscience
In May, the HSE Voronovo Learning Centre hosted the International Spring School on Human Rights, a five-day educational retreat organized jointly by the HSE Department of Public Policy, the University of Bologna and the International Institute of Human Rights in Strasbourg.
On 8 April 2015, as part of the XVI April International Academic Conference on Economic and Social Development, a round table was held, entitled Development of Strategic Management, which was chaired by Professor Andrei Klimenko, Director of the Institute for Public and Municipal Management.
Public Policy Department together with UniBo and International Institute of Human Rights organized the 4th Spring School in Strasbourg
From 30 March to 2 April 2015, the International Institute of Human Rights organized in partnership with the Faculty of Political Sciences of Bologna (Italy) and the HSE Public Policy Department (Russia) a 4th Spring School on “Family Law in the European Legal Framework"
'Baltic practice' summer school is an international interdisciplinary research platform that brings together students, professors, instructors, experts and prospective students for intensive professional interaction in an environment where all participants are treated as equals.
From June 28 to July 5, the ‘Baltic Practice 2014’ summer school will take place in Zelenogorsk near St. Petersburg. The school’s topic this year is ‘Europe in Russia: Business, Culture, Values’. The aim of the event is to address the cultural, social and ideological constructs that were created in cooperation with Europe and have become an integral part of Russian culture and identity.
Baltic Practice International Summer School: From Local Identity in a Global World to Organizing Next Year’s School ’Europe in Russia’
On November 18, the HSE International Summer School ‘Baltic Practice’ held a presentation about the results of the 13th School and announced the theme for next year’s School.
Professor Lucio Picci of the University of Bologna gave a series of lectures to students and teachers at the HSE Department of Public Policy and attended the HSE's April Conference. He shared his impressions with us during this interview for our news portal.
The HSE’s Baltic Practice Summer School has just finished in Klaipeda and Kaunas. Once again, the school was run in conjunction with Vytautas Magnus University (Lithuania).
In June this year, the international school ‘Integrating Europe through Human Rights: comparing the exercise of basic freedoms’ took place at the HSE. The event was a joint initiative between the HSE and the University of Bologna and organized by the HSE Department of Public Policy.
Last year was designated the year of Russia in Italy and Italy in Russia. Nina Belyaeva, Head of the HSE Department of Public Policy, told us about the HSE’s cooperation with one of its key Italian partners – the University of Bologna, as well as about new academic mobility opportunities for HSE undergraduate and postgraduate students.
On August 1st at the Vytautas Magnus University in Kaunas, the XI International summer research school Baltic Practice began. This is an annual event organized by the HSE Department of Public Policy. Nina Belyaeva, Academic Supervisor of the school and Head of the Department of Public Policy, told us about the schedule of the practice and the new areas of research which are being carried out as part of it.