- Leading Research Fellow:HSE Tikhonov Moscow Institute of Electronics and Mathematics (MIEM HSE)
- Vladimir Rakov has been at HSE University since 2019.
Education, Degrees and Academic Titles
- 1985Senior Research Fellow
Candidate of Sciences* (PhD)
Kirov Tomsk Polytechnic Institute
Kirov Tomsk Polytechnic Institute
According to the International Standard Classification of Education (ISCED) 2011, Candidate of Sciences belongs to ISCED level 8 - "doctoral or equivalent", together with PhD, DPhil, D.Lit, D.Sc, LL.D, Doctorate or similar. Candidate of Sciences allows its holders to reach the level of the Associate Professor.
- Article Leal A., Rakov V. A study of the context in which compact intracloud discharges occur // Scientific Reports. 2020. Vol. 9. No. 12218 doi
- Article Rakov V. Experimental investigation of the streamer zone of long‐spark positive leader using high‐speed photography and microwave probing // Journal of Geophysical Research: Atmospheres. 2020. Vol. 125. No. 11. P. 1-16. doi
- Article Chilingarian A., Khanikyants Y., Rakov V., Soghomonyan S. Termination of thunderstorm-related bursts of energetic radiation and particles by inverted-polarity intracloud and hybrid lightning discharges // Atmospheric Research. 2020. Vol. 233. No. 104713 doi
- Article Azadifar M., Rubinstein M., Li Q., Rachidi F., Rakov V. A New Engineering Model of Lightning M Component That Reproduces Its Electric Field Waveforms at Both Close and Far Distances // JOURNAL OF GEOPHYSICAL RESEARCH-ATMOSPHERES. 2019. Vol. 124. No. 24. P. 14008-14023. doi
- Article Zhu Y., Ding Z., Rakov V., Tran M. Evolution of an Upward Negative Lightning Flash Triggered by a Distant +CG From a 257-m-Tall Tower, Including Initiation of Subsequent Strokes // Geophysical Research Letters. 2019. Vol. 46. No. 12. P. 7015-7023. doi
- Article Qi Q., Lyu W., Ma Y., Wu B., Chen L., Jiang R., Zhu Y., Rakov V. High-Speed Video Observations of Natural Lightning Attachment Process With Framing Rates up to Half a Million Frames per Second // Geophysical Research Letters. 2019. Vol. 46. No. 21. P. 12580-12587. doi
- Article Wu B., Lyu W., Qi Q., Ma Y., Chen L., Jiang R., Zhu Y., Rakov V. High-Speed Video Observations of Recoil Leaders Producing and Not Producing Return Strokes in a Canton-Tower Upward Flash // Geophysical Research Letters. 2019. Vol. 46. No. 14. P. 8546-8553. doi
- Article Rahman M., Hettiarachchi P., Cooray V., Dwyer J., Rakov V., Rassoul H. Observations of X-rays from laboratory sparks in air at atmospheric pressure under negative switching impulse voltages // Atmosphere, Switzerland. 2019. Vol. 10. No. 4 doi
- Article Tran M., Kereszy I., Rakov V., Dwyer J. On the Role of Reduced Air Density Along the Lightning Leader Path to Ground in Increasing X-Ray Production Relative to Normal Atmospheric Conditions // Geophysical Research Letters. 2019. Vol. 46. No. 15. P. 9252-9260. doi
- Article Araki S., Nasu Y., Baba Y., Rakov V., Saito M., Miki T. 3-D Finite Difference Time Domain Simulation of Lightning Strikes to the 634-m Tokyo Skytree // Geophysical Research Letters. 2018. Vol. 45. No. 17. P. 9267-9274. doi
- Article Zhu Y., Rakov V., Tran M., Lyu W., Micu D. A Modeling Study of Narrow Electric Field Signatures Produced by Lightning Strikes to Tall Towers // JOURNAL OF GEOPHYSICAL RESEARCH-ATMOSPHERES. 2018. Vol. 123. No. 18. P. 10260-10277. doi
- Article Kostinskiy A., Andreev M., Rakov V. Abrupt elongation (stepping) of negative and positive leaders culminating in an intense corona streamer burst: Observations in long sparks and implications for lightning // Journal of Geophysical Research: Atmospheres. 2018. Vol. 123. No. 10. P. 5360-5375. doi
Editorial board membership
2017: Deputy Editor-in-chief, JOURNAL OF GEOPHYSICAL RESEARCH-ATMOSPHERES.
2008–2009: Guest Editor, IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility.
At the general meeting of the Russian Academy of Sciences (RAS), held on April 23, research by Alexander Kostinskiy, Vladimir Rakov and Mikhail Andreev conducted in collaboration with their colleagues from academic institutes on the modeling and development of lightning was acknowledged as one of the most significant Russian scientific achievement in 2018.