- Sergei Shchebetenko has been at HSE since 2018.
Education and Degrees
Doctor of Sciences* in General psychology, personality psychology
Thesis Title: Personality traits in mind reflection and life outcomes
Candidate of Sciences* (PhD) in General psychology, personality psychology
Thesis Title: Self-concept, empathy and closeness in relations between readers and folktale characters
Degree in Psychology
Perm State Pedagogical University, Psychology
According to the International Standard Classification of Education (ISCED) 2011, Candidate of Sciences belongs to ISCED level 8 - "doctoral or equivalent", together with PhD, DPhil, D.Lit, D.Sc, LL.D, Doctorate or similar. Candidate of Sciences allows its holders to reach the level of the Associate Professor.
A post-doctoral degree called Doctor of Sciences is given to reflect second advanced research qualifications or higher doctorates in ISCED 2011.
Continuing education / Professional retraining / Internships / Study abroad experience
2018 - Teach for HSE (Higher School of Economics, Moscow, Russia; December 2018);
2018 - English language proficiency, Level C1 (EF Education First, Moscow, Russia; September 2018);
2011 - R software and robust statistics for personality and individual differences (European Association for Personality Psychology, International Society for the Study of Individual Differences, University of Bologna Residential Centre; J. Asendorpf, M. Perugini, R. Wilcox, R. Sherman, F. Schönbrodt; Bertinoro, Italy, July 2011);
2010 - SPSS in psychology and social sciences (Saint Petersburg State University, psychology faculty; A. Nasledov; Saint Petersburg, Russia, December 2010);
2008 - Language internship and cultural exchange (St. Anthony's College, University of Oxford; K. Hewitt; Oxford, UK; November - December 2008).
Young Faculty Support Program (Group of Young Academic Professionals)
Category "New Lecturers" (2019)
- Psychology (Bachelor’s programme; Faculty of Humanities, Faculty of Communications, Media, and Design, Faculty of Social Sciences; programme "Advertising and Public Relations", "History", "Public Administration"; 1 year, 3, 4 module)Rus
- Psychology (Bachelor’s programme; Faculty of Humanities, Faculty of Communications, Media, and Design, Faculty of Social Sciences, Faculty of Economic Sciences; programme "Media Communications", "Sociology", "Economics", "Economics and Statistics", "History of Arts"; 1 year, 1, 2 module)Rus
Dissertation for a degree of Doctor of Science
S. Shchebetenko Черты личности в рефлексии и жизненных проявлениях человека
- Article Shchebetenko S. Reflexive characteristic adaptations explain sex differences in the Big Five: But not in neuroticism // Personality and Individual Differences. 2017. Vol. 111. P. 153-156. doi
- Article Shchebetenko S. Thinking about personality: Comment on Hogan and Foster (2016) // International Journal of Personality Psychology. 2017. Vol. 3. No. 1. P. 9-12.
- Article Shchebetenko S. Reflexive characteristic adaptations within the five-factor theory: Between basic tendencies and external outcomes // Personality and Individual Differences. 2016. Vol. 101. P. 35-41. doi
- Article Shchebetenko S., Bergfeld A. Y. The relationship between extraversion and physical attractiveness of online network users assessed by personnel recruiters // Australian Journal of Psychology. 2016. Vol. 68. P. 301-311. doi
- Book Shchebetenko S., Dorfman L. Y. I Processi Creativi, Artistici e Leterrari. Milan : FrancoAngeli, 2007.
- Chapter Shchebetenko S., Dorfman L. Y. Space referents of readers and folktale characters interactions: Between merging and detachment, in: I Processi Creativi, Artistici e Leterrari. Milan : FrancoAngeli, 2007. P. 29-38.
- 2012European Conference on Personality (ECP) (Trieste). Presentation: How right-wing authoritarianism relates to attitudes toward Islam among Russian Orthodox undergraduates?
- 2008IV Международная конференция РКА "Коммуникация в современной парадигме социального и гуманитарного знания" (Коммуникация-2008) (Москва). Presentation: Вклад когнитивной нагрузки в восприятие иммигрантов
- 2006Всероссийская конференция "Психология индивидуальности" (Москва). Presentation: Пространственное Я и черты личности: гендерные сравнения
- 2005International Congress on Aesthetics, Creativity and Psychology of the Arts (Пермь). Presentation: Merging vs. detachment attitudes of readers toward folktale characters
2019-20 “Psychometrics of the Russian version of the Big Five Inventory-2” (National Research University Higher School of Economics, individual grant 19-01-003)
2018 “Attitudes toward traits and change of behaviour: On the example of extraversion (Russian Foundation for Basic Research);
2012-13 “Implicit attitudes toward out-groups members among the Ural region inhabitants” (Russian Humanities Fund (RGNF) grant 120330102500);
2012-13 “Psychodiagnostics of personality traits: Implicit and explicit approaches” (Ministry
of Education and Science of the Russian Federation 120222103404);
2011 The European Association for Personality Psychology scholarship for a summer school participation (Bertinoro, University of Bologna)
2006-07 “The image of immigrants among Russians” (Russian Humanities Fund (RGNF) grant N 06-06-82602 a/U);
2000 Perm region governor scholarship for postgraduates.
Computers in Human Behavior: 2019
PLOS ONE: 2018
Turkish Journal of Gastroenterology: 2019
International Journal of Internet Science: 2017
International Journal of Sociology and Anthropology: 2016
Epi-personality: thoughts about personality
The effects of argumentation on self-reported personality traits and attitudes toward traits (with Arina Mishkevich (Perm State))
The Russian Big Five Inventory-2 (with Aleksey Kalugin (Perm Pedagogical University), Arina Mishkevich (Perm State), Christopher Soto (Colby College), and Oliver John (California University, Berkeley)
Target Response in Consumer Behavior (Giorgio De Marchis (Complutense University, Madrid)
2018- National Research University Higher School of Economics, school of psychology (professor);
2012- Perm State University, developmental psychology department (senior researcher, associate professor, professor, 2012-);
2010-11 State University Higher School of Economics (Perm campus), school of management, associate professor;
2001-12 Perm State University, general and clinical psychology department (assistant, senior lecturer, associate professor);
1999-2007 Perm State Institute of Art and Culture, psychology department (instructor, lecturer, senior lecturer).