Maarten Christiaan Wilhelmus Janssen
- Maarten Christiaan Wilhelmus Janssen has been at HSE University since 2011.
Education and Degrees
University of Groningen
Thesis Title: Micro and Macro in Economics. An Inquiry into Their Relation
Thesis Title: Equilibrium Theories in Economics: Structures and Applications
University of Groningen
Thesis Title: La Réaction des Paysans aux Prix de Marché des Produits Vivriers au Bénin
Student Term / Thesis Papers
P. Koroleva, Vertical Relations in the Search Markets. Faculty of Economic Sciences, 2019
Honours and Larger Research Grants
- 2009 Research Grant “Vienna Graduate School of Economics”, to start a PhD program in Vienna, Austrian Science Foundation (FWF) M€ 2.192, period 2010-2013 (with a possibility to be renewed for 8 more years)
- 2009 Research Grant “The Evolution and Stability of Social Norms and Conventions”, Wiener Wissenschaft und Technologie Fund (WWTF) K€ 451, period 2010-2013.
- 2003 Honory Promotor at Erasmus University Rotterdam of dr. Thomas Schelling (honorary doctor), who later received the Nobel Prize in Economics 2005.
- 1995 Honorary Professorship, Higher School of Economics, Moscow.
- Article Janssen M. C., Garcia D. Retail channel management in consumer search markets // International Journal of Industrial Organization. 2018. No. 58. P. 162-182. doi
- Article Bichler M., Gretschko V., Janssen M. C. Bargaining in spectrum auctions: A review of the German auction in 2015 // Telecommunications Policy. 2017 doi (in press)
- Article Janssen M. C., Teteryatnikova M. Mystifying but Not Misleading: When does Political Ambiguity Not Confuse Voters? // Public Choice. 2017. No. 172. P. 501-524. doi
- Article Janssen M. C., Parakhonyak A., Parakhonyak A. Non-reservation price equilibria and consumer search // Journal of Economic Theory . 2017. No. 172. P. 120-162. doi
- Article Teteryatnikova M., Janssen M. C. "Horizontal Product Differentiation: Disclosure and Competition" // The Journal of Industrial Economics. 2016. No. 56. P. 589-620. doi
- Article Janssen M. C., Teteryatnikova M. Horizontal Product Differentiation: Disclosure and Competition // The Journal of Industrial Economics. 2016. Vol. 64. No. 4. P. 589-620. doi
- Article Janssen M. C. Spiteful bidding and gaming in combinatorial clock auctions // Games and Economic Behavior. 2016. Vol. 100. P. 186-207. doi
- Article Janssen M. C., Shelegia S. Surface Structure And Morphology // American Economic Review. 2015. Vol. 105. No. 6. P. 1683-1710.
- Article Janssen M. C., Karamychev V., Maasland E. Auctions with Flexible Entry Fees: A Note // Games and Economic Behavior. 2011. Vol. 72. No. 2. P. 594-601.
- Preprint Parakhonyak A. N., Janssen M. C. Consumer Search Markets with Costly Second Visits / University of Vienna. Series D11 "Vienna Economics Papers". 2011. No. 1102.
- Article Janssen M. C., Pichler P., Weidenholzer S. Oligopolistic markets with sequential search and production cost uncertainty // RAND Journal of Economics. 2011. Vol. 42. No. 3. P. 444-470. doi
- Preprint Janssen M. C., Parakhonyak A. N. Price Mathing Guarantees and Consumer Search / NRU Higher School of Economics. Series EC "Economics". 2011. No. 03.
- Article Janssen M. C., Pichler P., Weidenholzer S. Sequential Consumer Search with Incompletely Informed Consumers // RAND Journal of Economics. 2011. Vol. 42. No. 3. P. 444-470.
- Preprint Janssen M. C., Parakhonyak A. N. Sеrvice Refusal in Regulated Markets for Credence Goods / NRU Higher School of Economics. Series EC "Economics". 2011. No. 08.
- Microfoundations: A Critical Inquiry, Routledge, London, 1993
(Reviewed in Economic Journal, 1994; De Economist, 1995; Journal of Economic Methodology, 1996; Economics and Philosophy, 1996).
- Over de Grenzen van de Micro-economie, Eburon Delft, 1998. Inaugural Address (in Dutch).
- Auctioning Public Assets: Analysis and Alternatives (Editor),Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 2004.
(Chinese translation published by Shanghai University of Finance and Economics Press; reviewed inWorld Economy, 2005; Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, 2005)
- ‘Do Auctions select Efficient Firms?’, forthcoming inEconomic Journal, with Vladimir A. Karamychev.
- ‘Signaling Quality Through Prices under Oligopoly’,Games and Economic Behavior2010 (68), pp. 192-207, with Santanu Roy.
- ‘Simultaneous Pooled Auctions with Multiple Bids and Preference Lists’, Journal of Institutional and Theoretical Economics 166 (2), pp. 286-298, with Vladimir A. Karamychev and Emiel Maasland.
- ‘Auctions, Aftermarket Competition and Risk Attitudes’, International Journal of Industrial Organization 2009 (27), pp. 274-85,withVladimir A. Karamychev.
- ‘Going Where the Ad Leads You: On High Advertised Prices and Searching Where to Buy’, Marketing Science 2009 (28), pp. 87-98, with Marielle Non.
- ‘Triple Play: How do we Secure Future Benefits?’, Telecommunications Policy(2008) 32, pp. 735-43, with Ewa Mendys.
- ‘Early Mover Advantages;An Empirical Analysis of European Mobile Phone Markets’, Telecommunication Policy2008 (32),pp. 246-61, with Govert E. Bijwaard and Emiel Maasland.
- ‘Advertising and Consumer Search in a Duopoly Model’, International Journal of Industrial Organization 2008 (26),pp. 354-71,with Mariëlle C. Non.
- ‘The Evolution of Market Shares With Heterogeneous Network Effects’, Journal of Evolutionary Economics 2007 (17), pp. 551-77, with Ewa Mendys.
- ‘Selection Effects in Auctions for Monopoly Rights’, Journal of Economic Theory, 2007 (134), pp. 576-82, with Vladimir Karamychev.
- ‘On the Strategic Use of Focal Points in Bargaining Situations’, Journal of Economic Psychology, 2006 (27), pp. 622-34.
- ‘Auctions as Coordination Devices’, European Economic Review, 2006 (50), pp. 517-32.
- ‘Stable Service Patterns in Scheduled Transport Competition’, Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, 2006 (40), pp. 135-60, with Peran van Reeven.
- ‘Multi-store Competition: Market Segmentation or Interlacing, Regional Science and Urban Economics, 2005 (35), pp. 700-714, with Vladimir Karamychev and Peran van Reeven.
- ‘A Note on Costly Sequential Search and Oligopoly Pricing’, International Journal of Industrial Organisation, 2005 (23), pp. 451-66, with José-Luis Moraga and Matthijs Wildenbeest).
- ‘Dynamic Insurance Contracts under Adverse Selection’. Journal of Risk and Insurance, 2005 (72), pp. 45-59, with Vladimir Karamychev.
- ‘Strategic Pricing, Consumer Search and the Number of Firms’. Review of Economic Studies,2004 (71:4), pp.1089-1118, with José-Luis Moraga.
- ‘On the Nature of the Lemons Problem in Durable Goods Markets’, Canadian Journal of Economics, 2004 (37:3), pp. 552-589 with Santanu Roy.
- ‘The price of a price. On the crowding out of social norms’. Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization, 2004 (55:3), pp.377-395, with Ewa Mendys.
- ‘Cooperation and Coordination’. Brain and Behavourial Sciences, 2003 (26), pp. 165-66.
- ‘Continuous time trading in markets with adverse selection’. HSE Economic Journal (Moscow), 2002, pp.446-473, with Vladimir Karamychev.
- ‘Cycles and Multiple equilibria in the Market for Durable lemons’, Economic Theory, 2002 (20), pp. 579-601, with Vladimir Karamychev.
- ‘Dynamic trading in a durable good market with Asymmetric Information’, International Economic Review. 2002, pp. 257-282, with Santanu Roy.
- ‘Catching Hipo's’, Oxford Economic Papers, 2002 (54), pp. 321-33.
- ‘Bertrand Competition under Uncertainty’, Journal of Industrial Economics, 2002 (50), pp. 11-21, with Eric Rasmusen.
- ‘Towards a Justification of the Principle of Coordination’, Economics and Philosophy, 2001 (17), pp. 221-234.
- ‘Rationalizing Focal Points’, Theory and Decision, 2001 (50), pp. 119-148.
- ‘Price as a Signal of Illegality’, International Review of Law and Economics, 1998 (18), pp. 51-60, with Peran van Reeven.
- ‘Non-exclusive Conventions and Social Coordination’, Journal of Economic Theory, 1997 (77), pp. 34-57, with Sanjeev Goyal.
- ‘Rational Cooperation in Finitely Repeated Prisoners’ Dilemma's’, Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization, 1997 (32), pp. 613-9, with Joeri Gorter and Sjoerd van de Meerendonk.
- ‘The Price of Land and the Process of Expropriation’, De Economist, 1996 (144), pp. 63-77, with Christian Gerth, Lonneke Jansen and Marinka Niehoff.
- ‘Can we Rationally Learn to Coordinate?’, Theory and Decision, 1996 (40), pp. 29-49, with Sanjeev Goyal.
- ‘The Emergence and Stability of Institutions: introduction and overview’ and ‘Editorial’, Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization, 1995 (28), pp. 155 and 157-159, with Claude Ménard.
- ‘Dynamic Coordination Failures and the Efficiency of the Firm’, Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization, 1995 (28), pp. 223-239, with Sanjeev Goyal.
- ‘On the Dominance Solvability of Large Cournot Models’, Games and Economic Behavior, 1995, pp. 297-321, with Tilman Börgers.
- ‘Sociology in the Economic Mode’. Theory and Decision, 1993, pp. 73-81.
- ‘Friedman's Theory of the Consumption Function as an Example of Diagnostic Reasoning’. Economics and Philosophy,1992, pp. 23-49, with Yao-Hua Tan.
- ‘The Alleged Necessity of Microfoundations’. Journal of Macroeconomics,1991 (4), pp. 619‑639.
- ‘What is this Thing Called Microfoundations?’. History of Political Economy,1991 (4), pp. 687-712.
- ‘Why Friedman's Non-monotonic Reasoning Defies Hempel's Covering Law Model’, Synthese,1991 (2), pp. 255-284, with Yao-Hua Tan.
- ‘Seasonal and Regional Differences in Agricultural Supply Response’, European Review of Agricultural Economics, 1990 (4), pp. 407-420, with Dirk Perthel.
- ‘Coordinating Unions, Wages and Employment’, De Economist, 1990 (3), pp. 321-339, with Jan Jacobs.
- ‘Individualistic Foundations for General Equilibrium Theory; A Consideration of Some Game Theoretic Approaches’, Recherches Economiques de Louvain, 1989 (4), pp. 425-46.
- ‘Price Changes Resulting from Taxes and Subsidies in Leontief Models’, Economicko-Matematicky Obzor, 1989, pp. 390-5, with Gerard Sierksma.
- ‘Stratification of General Equilibrium Theory; A Synthesis of Reconstructions’, Erkenntnis 30, 1989, pp. 183-205, with Theo A.F. Kuipers.
- ‘Structuralist Reconstructions of Classical and Keynesian Macroeconomics’, Erkenntnis 30, 1989, pp. 165-181.
- 2008 Professor of Microeconomic Theory, University of Vienna
- 2008 - 2010 Professor of Economic Policy, Erasmus University (temporary, part-time)
- 2008 - 2010 Economic Advisor to the Board of the Dutch Competition Authority (NMa) on Health care issues (temporary, part-time)
- 2007 - Free lance senior consultant Competition Economists Group
- 2005 - 2007 Free lance senior consultant Charles Rivers Associates
- 2004 - 2008 Director Tinbergen Institute, Top graduate school in economics in the Netherlands.
- 2001 Visiting Professor, Université Pantheon-Sorbonne (Paris I).
- 1997 - 2008 Professor of Microeconomics, Erasmus University Rotterdam.
- 1992 - 1997 Associate Professor of Microeconomics, Erasmus University Rotterdam.
- 1993 Adjunct Professor of Economics, Duke University.
- 1991 - 1992 Visiting Assistant Professor at the Department of Economics, Université Catholique de Louvain (Belgium).
- 1990 - 1992 Assistant Professor of Microeconomics (50% effort) and Economic Methodology (50% effort), Erasmus University Rotterdam.
- 1989 Visiting Scholar at Duke University (U.S.A.).
- 1986 - 1990 Research Assistant (AIO), Department of Econometrics, Groningen University.
- 1986 Stay in R.P. du Bénin (West-Africa) to do research for MA thesis.
- 1984 - 1985 Student Assistant in Mathematical Economics, Philosophy of Science and Science and Society.
On October 2 and 3, HSE University simultaneously celebrated two anniversaries of Russian-Dutch academic cooperation: the 25th anniversary of joint educational programmes between HSE University and Erasmus University Rotterdam, and the 10th anniversary of the Dutch educational center, Nuffic Neso Russia, with which HSE has a long-standing partnership.
For nearly a quarter of century, Maarten Janssen, a well-known expert in microeconomics and currently a professor at the University of Vienna, has been working with HSE. A ceremony awarding him the honorary title took place at a meeting of the HSE Academic Council.