Philip G. Altbach
- Member of the Committee:International Advisory Committee
Philip G. Altbach is Research Professor and director of the Center for International Higher Education in the Lynch School of Education at Boston College. From 1995 to 2013, he was the J. Donald Monan, SJ University Professor at Boston College. He was the 2004-2006 Distinguished Scholar Leader for the New Century Scholars initiative of the Fulbright program. He has been a senior associate of the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching, and served as editor of the Review of Higher Education, Comparative Education Review, and as an editor of Educational Policy.
He is author of Turmoil and Transition: The International Imperative in Higher Education, Comparative Higher Education, Student Politics in America, and other books. He co-edited the International Handbook of Higher Education. His most recent books are (with Jamil Salmi) The Road to Academic Excellence: The Making of World-Class Research Universities, Leadership for World-Class Universities: Challenges for Developing Countries,and (with Jorge Balan) World Class Worldwide: Transforming Research Universities in Asia and Latin America.
Dr. Altbach holds the B.A., M.A. and Ph.D degrees from the University of Chicago. He has taught at the University of Wisconsin-Madison and the State University of New York at Buffalo,, and was a post-doctoral fellow and lecturer on education at Harvard University. He is chairperson of the International Advisory Council of the Graduate School of Education at the Shanghai Jiao Tong University and a member of the Interntional Advisory Committee of the Higher School of Economics in Moscow, Russia, and is a Guest Professor at the Institute of Higher Education at Peking University in the Peoples Republic of China,
He has been a visiting professor at Stanford University, the Institut de Sciences Politique in Paris, and at the University of Bombay in India. Dr. Altbach has been a Fulbright scholar in India, and in Malaysia and Singapore. He has had awards from the Japan Society for the Promotion of Science and the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD), has been Onwell Fellow at the University of Hong Kong, and a senior scholar of the Taiwan Government.
(Source: Boston College)
- Article Altbach P. G. Anarchy and Exploitation in Scientific Communication // Higher Education in Russia and Beyond. 2017. No. 1(11). P. 6-7.
- Book International Faculty in Higher Education. Comparative Perspectives on Recruitment, Integration, and Impact / Ed. by M. M. Yudkevich, L. E. Rumbley, P. G. Altbach. Routledge, 2017.
- Book Responding to Massification: Differentiation in Postsecondary Education Worldwide / Ed. by P. G. Altbach, L. Reisberg, H. de Wit. , 2017.
- Book The Global Academic Rankings Game. Changing Institutional Policy, Practice, and Academic Life / Ed. by P. G. Altbach, M. M. Yudkevich, L. E. Rumbley. NY : Routledge, 2016.
- Book Академический инбридинг и мобильность в высшем образовании: Глобальные перспективы / Пер. с англ.; отв. ред.: Н. М. Халатянц; под общ. ред.: М. М. Юдкевич, Ф. Дж. Альтбах, Л. Рамбли. М. : Издательский дом НИУ ВШЭ, 2016.
- Book Academic Inbreeding and Mobility in Higher Education. Global Perspectives / Ed. by Maria Yudkevich, P. G. Altbach, L. E. Rumbley. L. : Palgrave Macmillan, 2015.
- Article Yudkevich M. M., Altbach P. G., Rumbley L. E. Global university rankings: The “Olympic Games” of higher education? // PROSPECTS. 2015. P. 1-9. doi (in print)
- Book The Global Future of Higher Education and the Academic Profession: The BRICs and the United States / Ed. by P. G. Altbach, L. Reisberg, M. M. Yudkevich, G. V. Androuschak, Y. I. Kuzminov. Palgrave Macmillan, 2013.
- Book Paying the Professoriate: A Global Comparison of Compensation and Contracts / Ed. by P. G. Altbach, L. Reisberg, M. M. Yudkevich, G. V. Androuschak, I. Pacheco. L. : Routledge, 2012.
- Book Дорога к академическому совершенству: Становление исследовательских университетов мирового класса / Пер. с англ.; под общ. ред.: Ф. Дж. Альтбах, Дж. Салми. М. : Весь мир, 2012.
- Book Как платят профессорам. Глобальное сравнение систем вознаграждения и контрактов / Пер. с англ. (под ред.: М. М. Юдкевич); сост.: Ф. Дж. Альтбах, Л. Райсберг, Г. В. Андрущак, И. Пачеко, М. М. Юдкевич; отв. ред.: Н. М. Халатянц. М. : Издательский дом НИУ ВШЭ, 2012.
- Book The Road to Academic Excellence: The Making of World-Class Research Universities / Ed. by P. G. Altbach, J. Salmi. Washington : The World Bank, 2011.
International Advisory Committee Meets at HSE: 'The University Is Quick to Respond to Recommendations'
Each year, the HSE International Advisory Committee (IAC) meets in Moscow under the leadership of Nobel laureate Eric Maskin. Committee members focus on reorganising the post-graduate school, updating educational and staffing policies, and a number of other important issues.
Last week HSE International Advisory Committee held its annual meeting in Moscow. Eric Maskin, Nobel laureate in Economics, 2007, Chairman of the Committee and members of the IAC have talked to HSE News Service about the results of the meeting.
University rankings, which increasingly impact both universities' development strategies and state policy in higher education, was one of the main topics discussed at the meeting of the HSE's International Advisory Committee.
Academic and expert in the field of international higher education, Philip Altbach has been made Honorary Professor in a ceremony at HSE. Altbach began to study education in his youth because he believed it was a key factor to bring about change in society. Is it possible to take educational models which work well in some countries and copy them in others without making any alterations? What good are rankings and what shouldn’t we sacrifice for their sake? What gives HSE its competitive edge? Professor Altbach talked about all these issues in an interview with HSE News.
On December 7, the sixth meeting of the HSE International Advisory Committee opened with leading experts from around the world in the field of science and education coming together to discuss the university’s achievements and the challenges it faces, as well as its objectives for the coming years. Following two days of discussions, the committee members will form recommendations on changes to the primary areas of development.
At a meeting of the HSE Academic Council, Director of the Center for International Higher Education at Boston College, HSE International Advisory Committee Member, Philip Altbach was awarded the title of HSE Honorary Professor.
Starting this year, the HSE is publishing a Russian-language version of ‘International Higher Education’ – a quarterly published by Boston College, USA.
Andrey Podolsky, HSE Professor of the Graduate School of Education, has become the first scientist in Eastern Europe to be inducted as a member of the International Academy of Education.
On May 30th the third annual meeting of the Higher School of Economics International Advisory Committee (IAC) opened at the HSE.