- Academic Supervisor:Laboratory for Comparative Social Research
- Christian Welzel has been at HSE University since 2010.
Education, Degrees and Academic Titles
- 2000Associate Professor
Doctor of Sciences* in Political Science
PhD in Political Science
University of Potsdam
Master's in Political Science and Economic History
A post-doctoral degree called Doctor of Sciences is given to reflect second advanced research qualifications or higher doctorates in ISCED 2011.
- Human Empowerment: The Co-Evolution of Rights and Culture (Master’s programme; Faculty of Social Sciences; 1 year, 1 module)Eng
- Article Brunkert L. J., Kruse S., Welzel C. A tale of culture-bound regime evolution: the centennial democratic trend and its recent reversal // Democratization. 2018. P. 1-22. doi (in press)
- Article Van de Vliert E., Welzel C., Shcherbak A., Fischer R., Alexander A. C. Got Milk? How Freedoms Evolved from Dairying Climates // Journal of Cross-Cultural Psychology. 2018. Vol. 49. No. 7. P. 1048-1065. doi
- Preprint Kravtsova M., Oshchepkov A. Y., Welzel C. The Shadow of the Family: Historical Roots of Social Capital in Europe / NRU Higher School of Economics. Series SOC "Sociology". 2018.
- Article Brieger S., Francoeur C., Welzel C., Ben-Amar W. Empowering Women: The Role of Emancipative Forces in Board Gender Diversity // Journal of Business Ethics. 2017 doi
- Article Kistler D., Thöni C., Welzel C. Survey Response and Observed Behavior: Emancipative and Secular Values Predict Pro-Social Behaviors // Journal of Cross-Cultural Psychology. 2017. Vol. 48. No. 4. P. 461-489. doi
- Article Kravtsova M., Oshchepkov A. Y., Welzel C. Values and Corruption: Do Postmaterialists Justify Bribery? // Journal of Cross-Cultural Psychology. 2017. Vol. 48. No. 2. P. 225-242. doi
- Article Welzel C., Inglehart R. F. Misconceptions of Measurement Equivalence: Time for a Paradigm Shift // Comparative Political Studies. 2016. Vol. 49. No. 8. P. 1068-1094. doi
- Article Welzel C., Inglehart R. F., Kruse S. Pitfalls in the Study of Democratization: Testing the Emancipatory Theory of Democracy // British Journal of Political Science. 2016. Vol. 47. No. 2. P. 463-472. doi
- Article Welzel C., Deutsch F. The Diffusion of Values among Democracies and Autocracies // Global Policy. 2016. Vol. 7. No. 4. P. 563-570. doi
- Article Minkov M., Welzel C., Bond M. The impact of genes, geography, and educational opportunities on national cognitive achievement // Learning and Individual Differences. 2016. Vol. 47. P. 236-243. doi
- Article Inglehart R. F., Puranen B., Welzel C. Declining willingness to fight for one’s country: The individual-level basis of the long peace // Journal of Peace Research. 2015. Vol. 52. No. 4. P. 418-434. doi
- Article Welzel C., Inglehart R. F., Alexander A. C. Emancipating Sexuality: Breakthroughs into a Bulwark of Tradition // Social Indicators Research. 2015. P. 1-27. doi
- Article Welzel C., Delhey J. Generalizing Trust: The Benign Force of Emancipation // Journal of Cross-Cultural Psychology. 2015. Vol. 46. No. 7. P. 875-896. doi
- Chapter Вельцель К. П., Инглхарт Р. Ф. Политическая культура, массовые убеждения и изменения ценностей // В кн.: Демократизация / (под ред.: М. Г. Миронюк); науч. ред.: К. В. Харпфер, П. Бернхаген, Р. Ф. Инглхарт, К. П. Вельцель. М. : Издательский дом НИУ ВШЭ, 2015. С. 233-261.
- Preprint Kravtsova Maria, Oshchepkov A. Y., Welzel C. Corruption and social values: Do postmaterialists justify bribery? / NRU Higher School of Economics. Series SOC "Sociology". 2014. No. 34.
- Article Inglehart R. F., Borinskaya S., Cotter A., Harro J., Inglehart R. C., Ponarin E., Welzel C. Genetic Factors, Cultural Predispositions, Happiness and Gender Equality // Journal of Research in Gender Studies. 2014. Vol. 4. P. 32-100.
- Preprint Inglehart R. F., Foa R., Ponarin E., Welzel C. UNDERSTANDING THE RUSSIAN MALAISE: THE COLLAPSE AND RECOVERY OF SUBJECTIVE WELL-BEING IN POST-COMMUNIST RUSSIA / Higher School of Economics. Series WP BRP 32/SOC/2013 "BASIC RESEARCH PROGRAM WORKING PAPERS SERIES: SOCIOLOGY". 2013.
- Article Welzel C., Deutsch F. Emancipative values and non-violent protest: The importance of 'ecological' effects // British Journal of Political Science. 2012. Vol. 42. No. 2. P. 465-472. doi
- Article Welzel C. The Myth of Asian Exceptionalism: Response to Bomhoff and Gu // Journal of Cross-Cultural Psychology. 2012. Vol. 43. No. 7. P. 1039-1054. doi
- Article Вельцель К. П., Инглхарт Р. Ф., Александер Э., Понарин Э. Д. Распутывание связей между культурой и институтами на примере эмансипации человечества // Журнал социологии и социальной антропологии. 2012. Т. XV. № 4 (63). С. 12-43.
- Article Welzel C., Newton K., Delhey J. How General Is Trust in “Most People”? Solving the Radius of Trust Problem // American Sociological Review. 2011. Vol. 76. P. 786-807.
- Article Alexander A., Welzel C. Islam and patriarchy: how robust is Muslim support for patriarchal values? // International Review of Sociology. 2011. Vol. 21. No. 2. P. 249-276. doi
- Article Alexander A., Welzel C. Measuring Effective Democracy: The Human Empowerment Approach // Comparative Politics. 2011. No. 43(3). P. 271-289.
- Article Вельцель К. П. The Asian values thesis revisited: evidence from the world values surveys // Japanese Journal of Political Science. 2011. Т. 12. № 1. С. 1-31. doi
- Book Инглхарт Р. Ф., Вельцель К. П. Модернизация, культурные изменения и демократия. Последовательность человеческого развития. М. : Новое издательство, 2011.
- Article Inglehart R. F., Welzel C. Agency, Values, and Well-Being: A Human Development Model // Social Indicators Research. 2010. No. 97. P. 43-63.
- Article Инглхарт Р. Ф., Вельцель К. П. Changing Mass Priorities: The Link between Modernization and Democracy // Perspectives on Politics. 2010. № 8(2). С. 551-567.
- Article Welzel C., Alexander A. Empowering Women: The Role of Emancipative Values // European Sociological Review. 2010. No. 26(1). P. 1-21.
- Article Welzel C. How Selfish Are Self-Expression Values: A Civicness Test // . 2010. No. 41(3). P. 1-23.
- Article Inglehart R. F., Welzel C. Values, Agency, and Well-Being: A Human Development Model // Social Indicators Research. 2010. No. 97(1). P. 43-63.
- Article Welzel C., Inglehart R. F., Peterson C., Foa R. Development, Freedom and Rising Happiness: A Global Perspective 1981-2007 // Perspectives on Psychological Science. 2008. Vol. 3. No. 4. P. 264-285.
- Article Welzel C., Inglehart R. F. Democratization as the Growth of Freedom: The Human Development Perspective // Japanese Journal of Political Science. 2005. No. 6(3). P. 1-31.
- Article Inglehart R. F., Welzel C. Exploring the Unknown: Predicting the Responses of Publics not yet Surveyed // International Review of Sociology. 2005. Vol. 15. No. 1
- Book Welzel C. Fluchtpunkt Humanentwicklung: Über die Grundlagen der Demokratie und die Ursachen ihrer Ausbreitung [Vantage Point ‚Human Development': On the Roots of Democracy and the Causes of Its Diffusion]. Opladen : Westdeutscher Verlag, 2002.
- Book Pickel G., Lauth H., Welzel C. Demokratiemessung: Konzepte und Befunde im internationalen Vergleich [Measuring Democracy: Concepts and Findings]. Opladen : Westdeutscher Verlag, 2000.
Within the framework of the 9th LCSR International Workshop “Comparative Social Research” with an honorary report on the topic “Measurement Equivalence? A Tale of False Obsessions and a Cure” was made by Christian Welzel (LCSR HSE, Leufana University Luneburg).
The Contribution to Science and Education Award, established by the HSE, recognises outstanding contributions to academic development and international academic cooperation.
On April 10th Christian Welzel gave a lecture on “Rethinking Measurement In-Equivalence: Or Why We Should Forget about MGCFA” at the 8th LCSR International Workshop. Read more about this in the publication.
Ronald Inglehart and Christian Welzel will present Russian editions of their monographs at the XIXth April International Academic Conference
At the upcoming XIXth April International Academic Conference On Economic and Social Development, the leading staff of the Laboratory for Comparative Social Research will present Russian editions of their latest monographs.
The winner of Golden Reference Award was announced in Moscow at the Golden HSE Award ceremony in Moscow. In 2017, LCSR chief research fellow Christian Welzel has become the winner!
The Laboratory for Comparative Social Research of the National Research University Higher School of Economics announces a call for the 8th LCSR International Workshop «Quantitative Research of Social Changes Across the World», which will be held within the XIX April International Academic Conference on Economic and Social Development. It will take place in Moscow from the 10th till 13th of April 2018. The submission deadline is January 10, 2018.
Altruism based on individual values is changing Western society. People in Western countries have seen a rise in individualism for quite some time, and this in turn helps to create generations of people with altruistic mindsets. Christian Welzel, Chief Research Fellow in the Laboratory for Comparative Social Research (HSE and Leuphana University of Lüneburg), teamed up with researchers from the University of Lausanne to conduct a study showing the connection between emancipative values and prosocial behaviour. The results of the study were published in the Journal of Cross-Cultural Psychology.
First day of the 7th LCSR International Workshop “Subjective Well-being and Growing Inequality across the Globe”
We are pleased to announce that the 7th LCSR International Workshop “Subjective Well-being and Growing Inequality across the Globe” started on Tuesday, 11 April at the HSE, Moscow. The Seminar is organized within the XVII April International Academic Conference at the HSE. The event will last until April 14.
Dr. Chris Welzel, LCSR's Chief Research Fellow, gave a TED talk titled "Moral Progress: Expanding the Human Mind" at the Leuphana University Lüneburg. Use the link to watch video.
Why do people become researchers and pursue careers in science? What is more important for them – self-fulfillment or financial incentives? On the day before Russia celebrated Science Day on Feb 8, HSE’s news service talked to researchers working at HSE about what motivated them to become scientists.
MA Comparative Social Research student shares her impressions on attending the conference
From November 10 to 14, the HSE Laboratory for Comparative Social Research’s (LCSR NRU HSE) 4th International Annual Research Conference ‘Cultural and Economic changes under cross-national perspective’ will take place in St. Petersburg. The programme includes dozens of themed sessions on current social, political and economic problems, and lectures by the world’s leading sociologists.
A new English-taught master’s programme at the HSE, ‘International Master in Comparative Social Research’, will allow students to acquire the knowledge and skills that are in demand on the global market for social research. Applications are due by May 31, 2014.
Professor Hermann Dülmer, University of Cologne: ‘I find cooperation with the HSE highly attractive both, for methodological and substantive reasons ’
Laboratory for Comparative Social Research of the National Research University Higher School of Economics has organized the 3d LCSR Summer School on “Multilevel Confirmatory Factor Analysis (MCFA) and Multilevel Structural Equation Modeling (MSEM) in MPLUS”. The main course in the LCSR Summer school will be held by professor Hermann Dülmer. The HSE news portal asked Professor Dülmer to tell us about his plans for the LCRS Summer School and about how he first got involved with the HSE.
On November 25th a reporting conference of the HSE Laboratory for Comparative Social Research (LCSR) on ‘Comparative Sociology in Quantitative Perspective’ was held at the HSE.