- Leading Research Fellow:Poletayev Institute for Theoretical and Historical Studies in the Humanities
- Professor:Faculty of Humanities / School of History
- Kirill Levinson has been at HSE University since 2011.
Education and Degrees
Eberhard Karls University of Tübingen
Candidate of Sciences* (PhD)
Degree in History
Lomonosov Moscow State University, Dept of History
According to the International Standard Classification of Education (ISCED) 2011, Candidate of Sciences belongs to ISCED level 8 - "doctoral or equivalent", together with PhD, DPhil, D.Lit, D.Sc, LL.D, Doctorate or similar. Candidate of Sciences allows its holders to reach the level of the Associate Professor.
Student Term / Thesis Papers
K. Komoza, The Concept of "the Conquest of the North/Arctic" in the Research and Educational Work of Soviet Scientific Institutions between 1920 and 1958. Faculty of Humanities, 2020
G. Figlin, Ethno-National Image of Pogromists in the Perception of the Jewish Population of Russia, Ukraine, and Belarus in 1917-1924. Faculty of Humanities, 2019
A. Popytaev, Structural and discursive characteristics of discussions of 1983-1988 reported in the press about educational practices' changes in the Soviet school. Faculty of Humanities, 2017
- FRG, GDR, Austria, Switzerland and Luxembourg as Variations of a German Way in the 20th Century (Master’s programme; Faculty of Humanities; 1 year, 3, 4 module)Rus
- Research Seminar (Postgraduate course’s programme; 2 year, 2 semester)Rus
- Research Seminar (Master’s programme; Faculty of Humanities; 1 year, 1-4 module)Rus
- Modern and Postmodern Social History (Bachelor’s programme; Faculty of Humanities; 3 year, 2, 3 module)Rus
- Second Foreign Language (German) (Bachelor’s programme; Faculty of Humanities; 3 year, 1-4 module)Rus
- Second Foreign Language (German) (Bachelor’s programme; Faculty of Humanities; 2 year, 1-4 module)Rus
- Translation Theory and Practice (Bachelor’s programme; Faculty of Humanities; 3 year, 3, 4 module)Eng
- Modern and Postmodern Social History (Bachelor’s programme; Faculty of Humanities; 3 year, 1-4 module)Rus
- Research Workshop "Subject, Method and Means of Perception" (Master’s programme; Faculty of Humanities; spec. "История знания в сравнительной перспективе"; 2 year, 1-4 module)Rus
- 2018Исторический нарратив: прошлое, настоящее, будущее (к 2500-летию со дня рождения Геродота Галикарнасского и 2000-летию со дня смерти Тита Ливия (Москва). Presentation: «Голова работает всегда»: Рабочее время советских ученых.
- HistoriCity: Urban Space and Changing Historical Culture (Москва). Presentation: Heimwehtouristen and the transformation of local historical culture: a case study
- Chapter Levinson K. Changes in Soviet Academia’s Age-Related Personnel Policies during the Cold War, in: Foreign Countries of Old Age: East and Southeast European Perspectives on Aging. Bielefeld : Transcript Verlag, 2020. Ch. 4. P. 91-108.
- Article Levinson K. The Changing Attitudes Towards Spelling Mistakes in German and Russian Speaking Cultures, 19th and early 20th c. // European Education. 2020. Vol. 52. No. 3. P. 215-225. doi
- Article Levinson K. ‘Homesick Tourists’ and the Changing Place of Baltic Germans in Latvia’s Historical Memory // Альманах североевропейских и балтийских исследований. 2017. No. 2. P. 56-78. doi
- Preprint Levinson K. More than just tittles: a discussion concerning the germanization policy in early twentieth-century Prussia / Basic Research Programme. Series HUM "Humanities". 2013. No. WP BRP 39/HUM/2013.
1994-2011 Institute of World History, Russian Academy of Sciences
2001-2005 Institute of European Cultures, RSUH
German Paleography Summer School took place on September 26 on Zoom, with Kirill Levinson as speaker
On 27 November, IGITI Leading Research Fellow Kirill Levinson presented a paper titled "One Expedition - Numerous Perceptions" at the Institute of European Studies at the University of Bremen (Germany).
On September 26–28, a Summer School for paleography and autobiography studies was organised by IGITI and German Historical Institute in Moscow (DHI).
Leading Research Fellow of IGITI Kirill Levinson took part in the conference "Take Back Aging: Power, Critique, Imagination". It was a joint international conference of the North American and European Networks in Aging Studies hosted by the Trent Centre for Aging & Society, Trent University, Peterborough, Canada. Kirill Levinson presented a paper "Changes in the Soviet Academia’s Age-Related Personnel Policies During the Cold War." See the programme and abstract.
IGITI Research Fellows took part in a convention of the Association for Slavic, East European, and Eurasian Studies (ASEEES)
Alexander Dmitriev, Kirill Levinson, and Boris Stepanov have participated in an anniversary convention of the Association for Slavic, East European, and Eurasian Studies (ASEEES), which was held in Boston on December 6-9.
Irina Savelieva, Boris Stepanov, Kirill Levinson and Alexandra Kolesnik have organized a panel "Shaping Public History in Russia: Forms, Places and Media" at the second conference of the Italian Association of Public History. The conference took place in Pisa, on June 11-15.
On March 1, 2017, Barbara Martin, Ph.D., a historian from Geneva, reported on "'Loyal Dissident?' The Paradoxes of Social and Political Activity of Roy Medvedev (1964-1991)."
Kirill Levinson, leading research fellow of IGITI, has published a new working paper "Changing Historical Cultures, Changing Appraisals of Baltic Germans’ Place in Latvia’s History" (141/HUM/2016) in the "Humanities" series.
Kirill Levinson, Associate Professor at the HSE School of History, has received the Merck Translation Award for translating select articles from Reinhart Koselleck's Geschichtliche Grundbegriffe, published in Russian by the New Literary Observer in 2014 under the title ‘Dictionary of Basic Historical Concepts’.
Kirill Levinson, leading research fellow of IGITI, was awarded the Merk Translation Prize for translating selected articles from Reinhart Koselleck's Geschichtliche Grundbegriffe published in Russian by the New Literaty Observer under the title of "Dictionary of Basic Historical Concepts" in 2014.
On September 9, 2016, VI Poletayev Memorial Readings entitled "Natual Sciences and Humanities: New Interaction (Dis)Order" were held at the Higher School of Economics. Among the participants were two guest speakers: Karl Hall from Central European University (Budapest) and Kornelius Borck from Lübeck University (Lübeck).
Kirill Levinson, leading research fellow of IGITI, reported on Emotion Concepts and Conceptual History: Perspectives on the Challenges of Translation at the conference 'Concepts of Passions and Politics' organized in London by UCL European institute, UCL Center for Transnational History, UCL School of Slavonic and East European Studies, and Center for Contemporary anf Modern History of the University of Sheffield.
Kirill Levinson gave presentation at the research seminar at The Eberhard Karls Universität Tübingen
On April 27, Kirill Levinson (IGITI HSE Leading Research Fellow and PhD student of the Institute for Eastern European History and Area Studies Tübingen) presented a paper “Die soziale Konstruktion des Rechtschreibfehlers im deutschen und im russischen Sprachraum” at The Eberhard Karls Universität Tübingen.