- Leading Research Fellow:Institute of Education / International Laboratory for Education Policy Analysis
- Prashant Loyalka has been at HSE since 2011.
Education and Degrees
Postgraduate programme in International Comparative Education
Master in Economics
Bachelor in Economics
- Article Liu O. L., Shaw A., Gu L., Li G., Hu S., Yu N., Ma L., Xu C., Guo F., Su Q., Kardanova E., Chirikov I., Shi J., Shi H., Wang H., Loyalka P. Validating the Chinese HEIghten Critical Thinking Assessment // Higher Education Research and Development. 2018. P. 1-30. (in print)
- Chapter Gu L., Liu O. L., Xu J., Kardanova E., Chirikov I., Li G., Hu S., Yu N., Ma L., Guo F., Su Q., Shi J., Shi H., Loyalka P. Validating the Use of Translated and Adapted HEIghten® Quantitative Literacy Test in Russia, in: Assessment of Learning Outcomes in Higher Education. Cross-National Comparisons and Perspectives. Springer International Publishing AG, 2018. doi Ch. 13. P. 267-284. doi
- Article Wang H., Chu J., Loyalka P., Xin T., Shi Y., Qu Q., Yang C. Can Social–Emotional Learning Reduce School Dropout in Developing Countries? // Journal of Policy Analysis and Management. 2016. Vol. 35. No. 4. P. 818-847. doi
- Article Kardanova E., Loyalka P., Chirikov I., Liu L., Li G., Wang H., Enchikova E., Shi H., Johnson N. Developing instruments to assess and compare the quality of engineering education: the case of China and Russia // Assessment & Evaluation in Higher Education. 2016. Vol. 41. No. 5. P. 770-786. doi
- Article Loyalka P., Zakharov A. Does shadow education help students prepare for college? Evidence from Russia // International Journal of Educational Development. 2016. Vol. 49. P. 22-30. doi
- Article Carnoy M., Khavenson T., Loyalka P., Schmidt W., Zakharov A. Revisiting the Relationship between International Assessment Outcomes and Educational Production: Evidence from a Longitudinal PISA-TIMSS Sample // American Educational Research Journal. 2016. Vol. 53. No. 4. P. 1054-1085. doi
- Book Баринов С. Л., Беликов А. А., Болотов В. А., Заир-Бек С. И., Заиченко Н. А., Захаров А. Б., Карной М., Козина Н. С., Лоялка П. К., Мерцалова Т. А., Никитин И. В., Пинская М. А., Пономарева Алена Александровна, Хавенсон Т. Е., Агранович М. Л., Адамович К. А., Адамчук Д. В., Ермачкова Ю. Ф., Зайцева О. В. Российские учителя в свете исследовательских данных / Отв. ред.: И. Д. Фрумин, В. А. Болотов, С. Г. Косарецкий, М. Карной. М. : Издательский дом НИУ ВШЭ, 2016.
- Preprint Kardanova E., Enchikova E. S., Shi H., Johnson N., Liu L. O., Mao L., Loyalka P. Constructing Tests that Can Measure and Compare the Maths and Physics Skills of Engineering Students in Russia and China / NRU Higher School of Economics. Series EDU "Education". 2015. No. WP BRP 28/EDU/2015 .
- Book Carnoy M., Loyalka P., Dobryakova M. S., Dossani R., Froumin I., Kuhns K., Tilak J. B., Wang R. Expansão das universidades em uma economia global em mudança : um triunfo dos BRIC?. Stanford : Stanford University Press, 2015.
- Article Chu J., Loyalka P., Chu J., Qu Q., Shi Y., Li G. The impact of teacher credentials on student achievement in China // China Economic Review. 2015. Vol. 36, Article number 867. P. 14-24.
- Preprint Loyalka P., Zakharov A. Does Shadow Education Help Students Prepare for College? / NRU Higher School of Economics. Series EDU "Education". 2014.
- Article Zakharov A., Carnoy M., Loyalka P. Which teaching practices improve student performance on highstakes exams? Evidence from Russia // International Journal of Educational Development. 2014. No. 36. P. 13-21. doi
- Book Carnoy M., Loyalka P., Dobryakova M. S., Dossani R., Froumin I., Kuhns K., Tilak J. B., Rong W. University Expansion in a Changing Global Economy: Triumph of the BRICs?. Stanford : Stanford University, 2013. doi
- Article Carnoy M., Loyalka P., Froumin I. University Expansion in the BRIC Countries and the Global Information Economy // Change: The Magazine of Higher Learning . 2013. Vol. 45. No. 4 doi
- Preprint Zakharov A., Carnoy M., Loyalka P. Which Teaching Practices Improve Student Performance on High-Stakes Exams? Evidence from Russia / NRU Higher School of Economics. Series EDU "Education". 2013.
- Chapter Фрумин И. Д., Лоялка П. К., Карной М., Тилак Дж., Добрякова М. С., Ронг В. Массовое распространение высшего образования в странах БРИК // В кн.: Федеральный справочник. Образование в России Т. 9. М. : Издательский центр "Президент", 2013. С. 203-212.
- Preprint Carnoy M., Loyalka P., Androushchak G., Anna Proudnikova. The Economic Returns to Higher Education in the BRIC Countries and their Implications for Higher Education Expansion / NRU Higher School of Economics. Series EDU "Education". 2012. No. 02.
Participation in research grants and projects
- Principal Investigator (CIEFR-side), “Investment in Vocational vs. General Schooling: Evaluating China’s Expansion of Vocational Education and Laying the Foundation for Further Vocational Education Evaluation,” with Stanford, Oxford, Chinese Academy of Sciences (October 2010-2013).
- Principal Investigator, “Can Special Magnet High Schools for China’s Poorest Equalize College-Going Opportunities? An Extensive Evaluation of Ningxia’s Key Magnet High School Project” with Y.Q. Song and J.G. Wei (June 2009—May 2011). (Funded by the Ningxia Provincial Government)
- Principal Investigator (for China), “The Impacts of Rapid Higher Education Expansion in the World’s Largest Developing Economies,” with Martin Carnoy, Isak Froumin, Jandhyala Tilak, Maria Dobryakova, others (July 2007-Sept. 2011). (Funded by CIEFR)
- Researcher, “The Impacts of Vouchers and Savings Plans on Migrant Students Educational Achievement and Educational Choices.” (September 2010-June 2012). (Funded by FAB)
- Principal Investigator, “Estimating the Effects of Information on Student Education and Work Choices: Evidence from Two Cluster-RCTs,” with Y.Q. Song and J.G. Wei (2008-2009). (Funded by CIEFR)
- Co-Principal, “Comparing the Impacts of Private and Public School Education on Beijing Migrant Children’s Educational Outcomes,” with Y.Q. Song and J.G. Wei (2009-March 2010) (Funded by CIEFR)
- Researcher, “Early Childhood Care (ECE) and Education: A Pilot Randomized Intervention in Northwest China,” with Scott Rozelle and Jennifer Adams (2008).
- “The Impacts of Building Key Magnet High Schools for China’s Disadvantaged Students: Evidencefrom a Short-Interrupted Time-Series Design with Multiple Comparison Groups.” Minding the Gap: 3ie Impact Evaluation Conference. Cuernavaca, Mexico, June 15-17, 2011.
- “The Expansion and Quality of Engineering Education in China.” Comparative International Education Society Annual Meeting, Montreal, May 1-5, 2011.
- “Financial aid, college choices, and information: evidence from a cluster-RCT in China.” Panel on Education RCTs in China. American Economic Association’s Annual Meeting. Colorado, January 7-9, 2011.
- “Is Aid Reaching Poor Students? The Distribution of Student Financial Aid across China’s Higher Education System.” Association for Education Finance and Policy Annual Meeting. Seattle, March 24-26, 2011.
- “The Extra Costs of Disability in China.” 4th Forum for the Development of Work on Disability in China. Beijing, China, Decembe
Elena Kardanova, the director of the Centre of Education Quality Monitoring, and Alina Ivanova, junior research fellow of the same centre, have participated in the annual meeting of the American Educational Research Association (AERA) held in Washington, DC. The conference dedicated to ‘Public Scholarship to Educate Diverse Democracies’ took place on April 7–12 and gathered around 14000 participants from all over the world.
Two researchers of the Institute of Education have taken part in the AERA Annual Meeting that was held in Washington, DC on April, 7–12. Alina Ivanova, IoE postgraduate student, shares her view on five reasons to attend one of the largest conferences in the field of education research.
The article ‘Developing instruments to assess and compare the quality of engineering education: the case of China and Russia’ by the group of IOE staff members (Elena Kardanova, Prashant Loyalka, Igor Chirikov, Ekaterina ENchikova) was published on the online platform of the journal ‘Assessment & Evaluation in Higher Education’ issued by Taylor & Francis.
Prashant Loyalka is a visiting Leading Research Fellow at the HSE Institute for Education and the International Laboratory for Education Policy Analysis. His research article, ‘Does Shadow Education Help Students Prepare for College?’ will be published in the International Journal of Educational Development Vol 49, in July 2016. In an interview with HSE News Service, Dr Loyalka talked about his research into the advantages and shortcomings of shadow education and about why American parents send their kids to after-school Russian math class.
A HSE Institute of Education seminar on September 16, saw the launch of the Russian-language book Mass higher education – BRIC triumph? by HSE publishing house (the English original, University Expansion in a Changing Global Economy, Triumph of the BRICs? was published last year by Stanford University Press). Attendees discussed development trends in higher education.
is how many first-years will be admitted to Chinese universities in 2020. These and other interesting facts are presented in the book University Expansion in a Changing Global Economy. Triumph of the BRICs?,which has been released in Russian by the publishing house of the Higher School of Economics. The English version of the book was published a year ago by Stanford University’s publishing house.
‘Factors Affecting the Quality of Engineering Education in the Four Largest Emerging Economies’, an article co-authored by Isak Froumin,Martin Carnoy and Prashant Loyalka, was published in the academic journal Higher Education. The article focuses on assessing the evolving capacity of higher education systems in BRIC countries with respect to producing qualified engineering graduates.