- Tenured Professor (2016)
- Member of the HSE Academic Council
- Isak Froumin has been at HSE since 2009.
Education, Degrees and Academic Titles
Doctor of Sciences* in General Pedagogy, History of Pedagogy and Education
Herzen State Pedagogical University of Russia
- 1993Associate Professor
Candidate of Sciences* (PhD) in General Pedagogy, History of Pedagogy and Education
Diploma in Mathematics
Krasnoyarsk State University
According to the International Standard Classification of Education (ISCED) 2011, Candidate of Sciences belongs to ISCED level 8 - "doctoral or equivalent", together with PhD, DPhil, D.Lit, D.Sc, LL.D, Doctorate or similar. Candidate of Sciences allows its holders to reach the level of the Associate Professor.
A post-doctoral degree called Doctor of Sciences is given to reflect second advanced research qualifications or higher doctorates in ISCED 2011.
Since 2012 Academic Advisor at the HSE Institute of Education
- 2002-2006 Professor, Education Policy Program, Academy of National Economy, Moscow (part time)
-1999 Lead Education Specialist at the Moscow Office of the World Bank
- 1994-1999 Director of the Institute of Experimental Pedagogics, Siberian Branch of the Russian Academy of Education (part time)
Student Term / Thesis Papers
D. Platonova «The Impact of Economic Forces: Shaping Higher Education in the Post-Soviet Space». Faculty of World Economy and International Affairs, 2014
V. Poddubikov «Elaborating the Development Strategy for Multi-Profile University Formed by Merging of Kemerovo State University and Kemerovo Technology Institute of Food Industry with the Focus on Requests from Key Sectors of Kemerovo Region Economy». Institute of Education, 2018
A. Blyakhman «Development of the Implementation Strategy for NRU HSE – Nizhny Novgorod Extended (Professional) Education Programs in 2017-2020». Institute of Education, 2017
T. Pyrova «The Discourse of Educational Policy in the Laws on Education: the Case of Central Asia». Institute of Education, 2016
- Educational Policy Evaluation (Master’s programme; Institute of Education; 1 year, 1, 2 module)Rus
- Introduction to Speciality (Bachelor’s programme; Faculty of Social Sciences; 1 year, 1-4 module)Rus
- Management in Social Sectors (Bachelor’s programme; Faculty of Social Sciences; 3 year, 1-3 module)Rus
- Research Seminar (Master’s programme; Institute of Education; 2 year, 1-3 module)Rus
- Research Seminar (Master’s programme; Institute of Education; 1 year, 1-3 module)Rus
- Book 25 Years of Transformations of Higher Education Systems in Post-Soviet Countries. Reform and Continuity / Ed. by J. Huisman, A. Smolentseva, I. Froumin. Palgrave Macmillan, 2018. doi
- Chapter Froumin I., Platonova D. Higher Education Expansion in Brazil, Russia, India, and China, in: Encyclopedia of International Higher Education Systems and Institutions. Dordrecht : Springer Netherlands, 2018. P. 1-7. doi
- Chapter Smolentseva Anna, Huisman J., Froumin Isak. Transformation of higher education institutional landscape in post-Soviet countries: from Soviet model to where?, in: 25 Years of Transformations of Higher Education Systems in Post-Soviet Countries. Reform and Continuity / Ed. by J. Huisman, A. Smolentseva, I. Froumin. Palgrave Macmillan, 2018. doi (in print)
- Article Froumin I., Leshukov O. "National-Regional Relationships in Federal Higher Education Systems : The case of Russian Federation" // Higher education forum Hiroshima University. 2015. No. 12. P. 77-94.
- Chapter Froumin I., Lisyutkin M. Excellence-driven Policies and Initiatives in the Context of Bologna Process: Rationale, Design, Implementation and Outcomes, in: The European Higher Education Area. Between Critical Reflections and Future Policies. L. : Springer International Publishing AG, 2015. P. 257-275.
- Book Carnoy M., Loyalka P., Dobryakova M. S., Dossani R., Froumin I., Kuhns K., Tilak J. B., Wang R. Expansão das universidades em uma economia global em mudança : um triunfo dos BRIC?. Stanford : Stanford University Press, 2015.
- Article Lisyutkin M., Froumin I. How Do Universities Degrade? Toward a Formulation of the Problem // Russian Education and Society. 2015. No. 6. P. 442-458. doi
- Chapter Froumin I., Kuzminov Y. I. Supply and Demand Patterns in Russian Higher Education, in: Higher Education in the BRICS Countries: Investigating the Pact between Higher Education and Society. Springer, 2015. P. 97-123.
- Article Kuzminov Y. I., Semenov D., Froumin I. The structure of the University network: From the Soviet to Russian "master Plan" // Russian Education and Society. 2015. Vol. 57. No. 4. P. 254-321. doi
- Article Loyalka P., Carnoy M., Froumin I., Dossani R., Tilak J. B., Yang P. Factors affecting the quality of engineering education in the four largest emerging economies // Higher Education. 2014. Vol. 68. No. 6. P. 977-1004. doi
- Article Froumin I., Kuzminov Y. I., Semyonov D. Institutional diversity in Russian higher education: revolutions and evolution // European Journal of Higher Education. 2014. Vol. 4. No. 3. P. 209-234.
- Article Froumin I., Smolentseva A. Issues of transformation in post-socialist higher education systems (Guest-editors' introduction to the special issue) // European Journal of Higher Education. 2014. Vol. 4. No. 3. P. 205-208.
- Article Carnoy M., Froumin I., Loyalka P. K., Tilak J. B. The concept of public goods, the state, and higher education finance: a view from the BRICs // Higher Education. 2014. Vol. 68. No. 3, Published online: 25 February 2014. P. 359-378. doi
- Chapter Froumin I., Povalko A. Top Down Push for Excellence: Lesson from Russia, in: How World-Class Universities Affect Global Higher Education. Influences and Responses Vol. 30. Boston, Rotterdam, Taipei : Sense Publishers, 2014. P. 47-64.
- Article Pinskaya М., Kosaretsky S., Froumin I., Harris A., Jones M. Schools in Difficulty: Identification, Issues and Strategies for Improvement // International Journal of Scientific and Research Publications. 2013. Vol. 3. No. 5
- Book Carnoy M., Loyalka P., Dobryakova M. S., Dossani R., Froumin I., Kuhns K., Tilak J. B., Rong W. University Expansion in a Changing Global Economy: Triumph of the BRICs?. Stanford : Stanford University, 2013. doi
- Article Froumin I. Socio-Economic Development and the Next Generation: Five Transitions // Journal of Siberian Federal University. Series: Humanities & Social Sciences. 2012. Vol. 5. No. 11. P. 1534-1541.
- Chapter Froumin I., Kuznetsova M. I., Kovaleva G., Melnikov A., Pinskaya М., Timkova T., Tyumeneva Y. A., Zuckerman G. The Impact of PIRLS in the Russian Federation, in: Studies in International Comparative and Multicultural Education Issue 13: Progress in Reading Literacy in National and International Context. The Impact of PIRLS 2006 in 12 Countries. Berlin, NY, Muenchen, Muenster : Waxmann Verlag, 2012. Ch. 12. P. 183-197.
- Article Salmi J., Froumin I. Russian universities in the world competition // Issues in Education. 2007. No. 3. P. 5.
- Chapter Froumin I., Divakaran S., Tan H., Savchenko Y. Strengthening Skills and Education for Innovation, in: Unleashing India's Innovation: Toward Sustainable and Inclusive Growth. Нью-Йорк : World Bank, 2007. P. 129-146.
- Chapter Froumin I. Democratic Educational Reform in Russia: achievements and setbacks, in: Educational reform in post-Soviet Russia: Legacies and prospects. Routledge, 2005. P. 129-152.
- Chapter Froumin I. Democratizing the Russian school: achievements and setbacks, in: Democratizing the Russian school: achievements and setbacks. L., NY : Frank Cass, 2005. P. 129-152.
- Chapter Chapman J. D., Froumin I., Aspin D. N. Chapter 1. Introduction and Commentary, in: Creating and Managing the Democratic School / Ed. by J. D. Chapman, I. Froumin, D. N. Aspin. L., Washington : The Falmer Press, 1995.
- Chapter Froumin I. Chapter 14. The Child’s Road to Democracy, in: Creating and Managing the Democratic School / Ed. by J. D. Chapman, I. Froumin, D. N. Aspin. L., Washington : The Falmer Press, 1995.
- Book Creating and Managing the Democratic School / Ed. by J. D. Chapman, I. Froumin, D. N. Aspin. L., Washington : The Falmer Press, 1995.
IOE doctoral student Irina Shcheglova has recently completed her internship with the Center for Studies in Higher Education at the University of California Berkeley (the USA). Immediately after she returned to Moscow, Irina was thrilled to finally share with IOE fellows about the academic experiences she has gained and her overall impressions of this trip.
A team of IOE researchers has recently visited the Center for Studies in Higher Education at the University of California Berkeley, the U.S. to take part in the international conference New Nationalism and Universities.
On November 27, the HSE Academic Council held an awards ceremony dedicated to the university’s 25th anniversary. The meeting saw the participation of representatives of the Russian President, members of government, and members of the Russian Federal Assembly. Governmental awards were given to a number of HSE employees for their tremendous accomplishments.
On November 6–8, 2017, China’s Shanghai Jiao Tong University welcomed the 7th International Conference on World-Class Universities (WCU-7). The forum’s special topic was “World-Class Universities: Towards a Global Common Good and Seeking National and Institutional Contributions." IOE experts Isak Froumin and Mikhail Lisyutkin took part in WCU-7 to present about a leading global university’s multi-mission development model. During the visit, a Memorandum of Understanding was also signed between IOE and Zhejiang University’s College of Education.
September 26th marked 40 days since the tragic death of Dmitry Semyonov, the Head of the IOE Laboratory for University Development and Aide to the HSE Rector. Below, the Academic Supervisor of the HSE Institute of Education, Isak Froumin, discusses the impact Dmitry (Dima) had on his colleagues, as well as his contribution to education research.
On September 15–16, 2017, the University of Helsinki, Finland, welcomed the second seminar by the International Academic Consortium working as part of the Key Competencies and New Literacy project, a joint initiative between IOE and Sberbank’s Investment in Future foundation.
Russian and Chinese researchers will join forces to study the two countries’ education systems and develop possible strategies for their further modernisation over the period to 2030, in a new joint project set to run for a decade.
In July 2017, the HSE Institute of Education welcomed its first international summer school Inequality of Educational Opportunities. Organized by the IOE International Laboratory for Education Policy Analysis, this venue aimed to promote best-practice approaches to inequality research through multi-dimensional academic debate and learning about today’s advanced methodology in social data analysis.
IOE Researchers Contribute to Encyclopedia of International Higher Education Systems and Institutions
IOE experts Isak Froumin and Farida Zagirova have recently contributed a chapter on the modern system of higher education in Russia to Encyclopedia of International Higher Education Systems and Institutions, edited by Jung Cheol Shin and Pedro Teixeira.
China’s National Institute of Education Sciences and IOE to Cooperate on Long-term International Comparative Study
On April 12, IOE representatives held a meeting with a delegation from China’s National Institute of Education Sciences (NIES). The parties have shared their overall vision of cooperation prospects and made a series of specific project commitments.
At ‘Crossroads and Prospects for the Development of Russian Education’, a special session held as part of the XVIII April Conference, experts discussed the section related to education from a recent report on the strategy of Russia’s development by the Centre for Strategic Research. Since investments in education have an effect after 15-20 years, participants analyzed development prospects up to 2035.
The International Symposium on Economics and Sociology of Education is being held on April 11-14 as part of the XVIII April Conference on Economic and Social Development. On April 11, experts discussed the dynamics of educational outcomes in Russia and beyond (based on data culled from international projects to monitor the quality of education) at a roundtable session organized by the World Bank.
The XVIII April International Academic Conference has kicked off at Higher School of Economics (HSE). This major event includes expert discussions on the strategic problems facing Russia’s economic and social development. Representatives of the Russian Government will take part in the debates.
On March 5–9, 2017, the U.S. city of Atlanta, Georgia hosted the 2017 Conference of the Comparative and International Education Society (CIES). Seeking the most diverse engagement in the venue’s multiple opportunities for expertise exchange, debate, and academic networking, a representative team of experts with IOE’s leading research & advisory centres took part in this year’s CIES event. Presentations were given by Isak Froumin, Oleg Leshukov, Elena Minina, Pavel Sorokin, Zumrad Kataeva, Martin Carnoy, Tatiana Khavenson, and Andrey Zakharov.
IOE Experts among Authors of Encyclopedia of International Higher Education Systems and Institutions
An article by IOE Academic Supervisor Isak Froumin and Junior Researcher Daria Platonova has been published in Encyclopedia of International Higher Education Systems and Institutions.
The meeting of International Advisory Committee starts December 6. Three newly appointed members of IAC have shared with HSE News Service their views on the role of external consultants in the development of universities, described their reasons for joining the committee and spoke about HSE’s academic reputation and the challenges the university faces.
The Annual Conference of the Consortium of Higher Education Researchers, CHER, is a key event in higher education research in Europe. Traditionally, CHER has attracted the best researchers and experts with a unique opportunity to learn about cutting-edge studies in the field, as well as to present their own research to the global community. This year’s conference took place from September 4 to 7, 2016, in Cambridge, England. A group of staff from the HSE Institute of Education took part in the event, including Isak Froumin, Igor Chirikov, Mikhail Lisyutkin, Dmitry Semyonov, Daria Platonova, Ksenia Romanenko, and Tatiana Semenova.
The summer session of the Competition for Innovators in Education (KIvO), organized by the Higher School of Economics, was recently held in Moscow. Over a four-day period and under the careful watch of respected experts, KIvO participants worked on and developed projects, which will be presented to potential investors at the International Conference on New Educational Technologies EdCruch, slated for September 12-14, 2016 in Moscow.
The second issue of Voprosy obrazovaniya/Educational Studies.Moscow has been recently released. The current issue features the following thematic section – Recruitment, Education and Retention of Teachers: Issues and Challenges in the Eastern/Central Europe, the Caucasus, Central Asia and Mongolia.
The first International Conference on Excellence Initiatives took place in St. Petersburg from June 30 to July 2. It was organized by 5-100 Russian Academic Excellence project, and its participants came from 11 countries. Academic advisor of the HSE Institute of Education Isak Froumin and Institute’s junior research fellow Mikhail Lisyutkin were among the speakers at the conference.
On June 17–18, Deans of Schools of Education from leading research universities gathered in the town of Pushkin, near St. Petersburg, Russia. The Summit entitled “Schools of Education at Research Universities: Challenges, Opportunities, Collaboration” was organized by the Institute of Education, Higher School of Economics, and the Graduate School of Education, Peking University.
The IV International Summer School on Higher Education Research, which was devoted to ‘Higher Education, Society and State’, was held June 4-10 in St. Petersburg. Organized jointly with the China Institute for Educational Finance Research at Peking University, the Summer School brings together senior and junior scholars in the field of higher education research; it aims to facilitate the exchange of ideas, enhance research quality, and foster the integration of early-career researchers into the international academic community.
On April 29, 2016 at the Academic Council meeting 25 HSE Professors were conferred the status of Tenured Professor.
The plenary session of the XVII International Academic Conference ‘From the Broad Educational Opportunities Towards Social Mobility Through Education’, held on April 20, 2016, was dedicated to the ways of overcoming inequality in education.
On December 7, the sixth meeting of the HSE International Advisory Committee opened with leading experts from around the world in the field of science and education coming together to discuss the university’s achievements and the challenges it faces, as well as its objectives for the coming years. Following two days of discussions, the committee members will form recommendations on changes to the primary areas of development.
On 4th - 7th November the annual conference of the Association for the Study of Higher Education, ASHE took place in Denver, Colorado. Incorporated in 1976 ASHE is the oldest professional association in higher education studies and has more than 2,000 members, mostly Americans.
On September 7-9 The Annual Conference of The Consortium of higher education Researchers / CHER 28th Annual Conference took place in Lisbon, Portugal. This year’s theme was ‘Global Challenges, National Initiatives, and Institutional Responses – The Transformation of Higher Education’. The participants discussed recent transformations in higher education: what global challenges the universities face and how to cope with these challenges.
On July 23, 2015 HSE hosted the delegation from University of Central Asia, represented by Mr Shamsh Kassim-Lakha, Executive Chairman, Board Executive Committee and Dr Ariff Kachra, Dean of Academic Affairs.
Four HSE Research Centers Included in the Boston College Worldwide Inventory of Higher Education Research Centers
The Boston College Center for International Higher Education has published its Worldwide Inventory of Research Centers, Academic Programmes and Journals in Higher Education. Four Russian research centers are included, all of them are part of HSE.
For the first time, students and post-grads are invited to listen in on plenary sessions of the International April Conference. They will be able to find out ‘from the horse’s mouth’ what the world’s top academics, economists, government and public figures think about the current state of Russia’s economy and society.
On December 3, HSE marked ‘Russian Universities’ Day’ – an event held during the BRICS University summit organized by Times Higher Education and the 5/100 Project for Raising the Competitiveness of Russia’s Leading Universities among the top global higher education institutions.
On October 16-18, the 5th International Conference of the Russian Association of Higher Education Researchers took place at the Higher School of Economics. The theme of this year's conference was 'Managing Differentiation in Rapidly Changing Higher Education Systems: Challenges and Opportunities.'
A HSE Institute of Education seminar on September 16, saw the launch of the Russian-language book Mass higher education – BRIC triumph? by HSE publishing house (the English original, University Expansion in a Changing Global Economy, Triumph of the BRICs? was published last year by Stanford University Press). Attendees discussed development trends in higher education.
The new makeup of the Expert Council to the Russian government has been confirmed. It includes 366 members, 23 of whom are HSE staff.
is how many first-years will be admitted to Chinese universities in 2020. These and other interesting facts are presented in the book University Expansion in a Changing Global Economy. Triumph of the BRICs?,which has been released in Russian by the publishing house of the Higher School of Economics. The English version of the book was published a year ago by Stanford University’s publishing house.
‘Factors Affecting the Quality of Engineering Education in the Four Largest Emerging Economies’, an article co-authored by Isak Froumin,Martin Carnoy and Prashant Loyalka, was published in the academic journal Higher Education. The article focuses on assessing the evolving capacity of higher education systems in BRIC countries with respect to producing qualified engineering graduates.
On May 15-17, the 2nd SERU Consortium (Student experience in the research university) conference took place at the HSE. It was devoted to problems concerning the educational milieu of contemporary research universities.
On February 17-18, 2014, the HSE will host the Fifth Annual Saburov Readings Conference. Michael Fullan, Professor Emeritus of the Ontario Institute for Studies in Education at the University of Toronto, internationally renowned and the most widely cited authority in educational science for the past two decades, will present a seminar at the HSE Institute of Education.
On June 29th 2012, the latest regular session of the Higher School of Economics Academic Council took place at the HSE. The agenda included information on the launch of new faculties and departments, approval of certain regulatory documents, as well as the results of the voting process for the teaching staff competition.
The Russian President, Dmitry Medvedev, has awarded honours to some researchers from the Higher School of Economics for their work on the Strategy 2020 expert groups, including organization of the groups, the preparation of suggestions on topical issues for Russian socio-economic strategy up to 2020 and their personal input into the expert and analytical work
On October 28th and 29th the 2nd International Conference of Higher Education Researchers ‘Universities and State’ took place at the Higher School of Economics. The event was organized by the Russian Association for Tertiary Education Research with the support of the HSE.
The World Bank in Washington has launched a new book, ‘The Road to Academic Excellence’, which presents eleven case studies of young research universities from all over the world. The only Russian example included in the book is the Higher School of Economics.
On September 13th 2011 a seminar by the HSE Institute for Educational Studies took place. Martin Carnoy, Professor at the University of Stanford and Academic Supervisor at the HSE International Laboratory for Educational Policy Research, spoke on ‘The Low Achievement Trap: Comparing Schools in Botswana and South Africa’.
Martin Carnoy, Professor at the Stanford University (USA) and Academic Supervisor of the HSE International Laboratory for Educational Policy Research, told us about some of the tasks and plans for the Laboratory.