David Scott Szakonyi
- Research Fellow:Institute for Industrial and Market Studies / International Center for the Study of Institutions and Development
- David Scott Szakonyi has been at HSE University since 2011.
Doctoral programme in Comparative Politics
Columbia University, Political Science
University of Virginia, Political and Social Thought
- Book Szakonyi D. S. Politics for Profit Business, Elections, and Policymaking in Russia. Cambridge University Press, 2020. doi
- Article Frye T. M., Reuter O. J., Szakonyi D. S. Vote Brokers, Clientelist Appeals, and Voter Turnout: Evidence from Russia and Venezuela // World Politics. 2020. Vol. 71. No. 4. P. 710-746. (in press)
- Article Reuter O. J., Szakonyi D. S. Elite Defection under Autocracy: Evidence from Russia // American Political Science Review. 2019. Vol. 113. No. 2. P. 552-568. doi
- Article Frye T. M., Reuter O. J., Szakonyi D. S. Hitting Them With Carrots: Voter Intimidation and Vote Buying in Russia // British Journal of Political Science. 2019. Vol. 49. No. 3. P. 857-881. doi
- Article Szakonyi D. S. Princelings and Political Rents: The Value of Nepotism // Quarterly Journal of Political Science. 2019 (in press)
- Article Szakonyi D. S. Businesspeople in Elected Office: Identifying Private Benefits from Firm-Level Returns // American Political Science Review. 2018. Vol. 112. No. 2. P. 322-338. doi
- Book Szakonyi D. S. Governing Business: The State and Business in Russia. Philadelphia : Foreign Policy Research Institute, 2018.
- Preprint Best M. C., Hjort J., Szakonyi D. S. Individuals and Organizations as Sources of State Effectiveness, and Consequences for Policy / National Bureau of Economic Research. Series NBER Working Paper 2017. doi
- Article Szakonyi D. S., Reuter O. J. Online Social Media and Political Awareness in Competitive Authoritarian Regimes // British Journal of Political Science. 2015. Vol. 45. No. 1. P. 29-51. doi
- Article Frye T. M., Reuter O. J., Szakonyi D. S. Political Machines at Work: Voter Mobilization and Electoral Subversion in the Workplace // World Politics. 2014. Vol. 66. No. 2. P. 195-228. doi
2016 - present - Assistant Professor of Political Science, George Washington University, Washington, DC
2011 - present - Research Fellow, International Center for the Study of Institutions and Development (ICSID) Higher School of Economics, Moscow, Russia
An HSE University corporate media "Okna Rosta" spoke to the ICSID director Andrei Yakovlev about the history of the Center, being efficient as a global team, the challenges ahead, and more.