- Senior Lecturer:HSE Campus in St. Petersburg / School of Arts and Humanities / Department of History
- Research Fellow:HSE Campus in St. Petersburg / School of Arts and Humanities / Centre for Historical Research
- Xenia Cherkaev has been at HSE University since 2020.
Education and Degrees
PhD in Anthropology
Columbia University in the City of New York
Thesis Title: Language, Historiography and Economy in late-and post-Soviet Leningrad: “the Entire Soviet People Became the Authentic Creator of the Fundamental Law of their Government.”
Master's in Arts
University of Minnesota, Anthropology
- Academic English Writing (Bachelor’s programme; School of Arts and Humanities; 4 year, 1-3 module)Eng
- Academic Written and Visual Literacy (Bachelor’s programme; School of Arts and Humanities; 2 year, 1, 2 module)Rus
- Project Proposal (Bachelor’s programme; School of Arts and Humanities; 4 year, 3 module)Rus
- Article Cherkaev X. Many Russians won’t get vaccinated against COVID-19. A dog catcher explains why // Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists. 2021
- Article Cherkaev X. Russian Cyberpunk Farm. Dir. Sergei Vasiliev. Youtube: Birchpunk. 2020. 4:30 minutes. Color and CGI. // Slavic Review. 2021. Vol. 80. No. 4. P. 900-901. doi
- Book Cherkaev X., Tipikina E. N. The Möbius Band’s Mysterious Capers / A One-sided Chronicle of Leningrad, Moscow, St. Petersburg: V. Sterligov, V. Koleichuk, I. Govorkov and E. Gubanova. St. Petersburg : Borey Art Center, 2021.
- Article Cherkaev X. Zoo-Fascism, Russia: To Hell with Equality and Ownerless Dogs // Fieldsights, Society for Cultural Anthropology (США). 2021. Vol. Hot Spots. No. American Fascism
- Article Cherkaev, Xenia A. They Sow the Wind and Reap the Whirlwind (Covid Doubt in St. Petersburg). // Fieldsights, Society for Cultural Anthropology (США). 2020 doi
- Article Cherkaev, Xenia A., Tipikina E. N. Межвидовая любовь помимо устава: служебные собаки Ленинградского фронта и их вожатые-саперы // Социология власти. 2019. Т. 31. № 3. С. 159-185. doi
- Article Cherkaev, Xenia A., Tipikina E. N. Interspecies Affection and Military Aims: Was There a Totalitarian Dog? // Environmental Humanities. 2018. Vol. 10. No. 1. P. 20-39. doi
- Article Cherkaev, Xenia A. Self-Made Boats and Social Self-Management. The Late-Soviet Ethics of Mutual Aid // Cahiers du Monde Russe. 2018. Vol. 59. No. 2-3 doi
- Article Cherkaev, Xenia A. Достоинство личности как личная собственность: Метаморфоза российских законов о порочащих сведениях // Новое литературное обозрение. 2018. Т. 3. № 151. С. 65-80.
- Article Cherkaev, Xenia A. On Warped Mourning and Omissions in Post-Soviet Historiography // Ab imperio. 2014. No. 4. P. 365-85. doi
Working at the Center for Historical Research in the pandemic: Nadezhda Tikhonova and Xenia Cherkaev share their experience
Research fellows Nadezhda Tikhonova, Candidate of Sciences in History of Asian and African countries, and Xenia Cherkaev, PhD in Anthropology, who have been recruited for postdoctoral positions in framework of the postdoctoral programs of HSE, will continue their work at the Center for Historical Research in the 2021/2022 academic year. Xenia and Nadezhda shared their experience after the first work year at HSE – St. Petersburg.
The fifth issue of 2020 presents an interview on the international postdoc programme and introduces new postdocs.
Since September 2020, Center for Historical Research has new research fellows who have been recruited for postdoctoral positions in framework of the postdoctoral programs of HSE: Nadezhda Tikhonova, Candidate of Sciences in History of Asian and African countries, and Xenia Cherkaev, PhD in Anthropology.