- Visiting Lecturer:HSE Campus in St. Petersburg / Saint-Petersburg School of Social Sciences and Area Studies / Laboratory of Sociology in Education and Science
- Svetlana Savelyeva has been at HSE University since 2022.
Education and Degrees
European University in St. Petersburg
- 2005MA in Sociological Sciences
European University in St. Petersburg
Saint Petersburg State University of Culture and Arts
- Methodology and Methods of Social and Political Research (Master’s programme; Saint-Petersburg School of Social Sciences and Area Studies; 2 year, 1, 2 module)Eng
- Methodology and Methods of Social and Political Research (Master’s programme; Saint-Petersburg School of Social Sciences and Area Studies; 1 year, 1, 2 module)Eng
- Project Seminar (Bachelor’s programme; Saint-Petersburg School of Social Sciences and Area Studies; 1 year, 3, 4 module)Eng
- Sociological Theory (Bachelor’s programme; Saint-Petersburg School of Social Sciences and Area Studies; 3 year, 4 module)Eng
- 2019International School Choice and Reform Conference (Лиссабон). Presentation: School Choice and Signals: Schools Signaling Parents
- 2018XIX Апрельская международная научная конференция по проблемам развития экономики и общества (Москва). Presentation: Социально-экономическая сегрегация школ в России
- 2017XVIII апрельская международная научная конференция по проблемам развития экономики и общества (Москва). Presentation: Выбор школы родителями: восприятие сигналов
- 2016XVII Апрельская международная научная конференция "Модернизация экономики и общества" (Москва). Presentation: Cтратегии родителей при выборе начальной школы в условиях различных локальных контекстов
- 2015XVI международная апрельская конференция "Модернизация экономики и общества" (Москва). Presentation: Локальные эффекты в воспроизводстве неравенства через систему образования
2015 XVI April International Academic Conference on Economic and Social Development (7-10 April, Moscow), paper 'Social reproduction in education: local effects' (presenting author, co-author: Daniel Alexandrov)
2014 The European Conference on Educational Research 'The Past, the Future and Present of Educational Research in Europe' (1 - 5 September, Porto), paper 'Educational Aspirations in Local Context' (presenting author, co-authors: Daniel Alexandrov, Vera Titkova)
Dissertation for a degree of Candidate of Science
- Preprint Alexandrov D. A., Tenisheva K., Savelyeva S. Safe Mobility: University after Technical College Pathway / NRU Higher School of Economics. Series EDU "Education". 2015. No. WP BRP 27/EDU/2015 .
- Preprint Alexandrov D. A., Tenisheva K., Savelyeva S., Evgeny Kochkin. Educational pathways and trajectories of rural students. I. Local educational systems / Sociology of Education and Science Laboratory. Series WP 001 "Sociology of Education and Science Laboratory Working Papers SESL". 2012.
One might question our sanity, and not see any connection between a sociological laboratory and elephants, and rightfully so. It is due to the language barrier that this wordplay remains unclear to our English-speaking readers. If you take the first letters of the name of our laboratory in Russian, which is Laboratoria (Laboratory) Sotsiologii (of Sociology) Obrazovania (in Education) I Nauki (and Science), you will get letters L, S, O, and N. Together, they make SLON, which in Russian means “elephant”. This is precisely why we have been using this nickname for ourselves, and why you see the little elephant figure in the top left corner of our website. Besides, elephants are great animals, known for their social complexity and strong family bonds, so why not them?
Svetlana Savelyeva, the deputy head of the Laboratory of Sociology in Education and Science, has been there from the very beginning, and witnessed its development throughout the years. Read her story to learn more about the history of SLON and its first expeditions, and find out how we started our research on schools.
In the middle of October 2019, a big conference took place: the ID Conference, dedicated to the subjects of migration and diversity. Sociology in Education and Science Laboratory has organized a whole section on this conference - a section on «Migration, inequality, and identity», as well as presented works by Daniel Alexandrov and Svetlana Savelieva.
What topics were discussed in this section, why we need to talk about migration, and why it’s important to look at both theoretical and practical sides of it - you can read in new material.
The Laboratory has presented its report on the “School choice” project at the International Conference held by the European Association for Education Law and Policy (ELA) in Lisbon.
of adolescents living in rural areas want to leave school after the 9th grade.