- Leading Research Fellow:Expert Institute / Laboratory for Research in Inflation and Growth
- Assistant Professor:Faculty of Economic Sciences / Department of Applied Economics
- Ilya Voskoboynikov has been at HSE University since 1999.
Education and Degrees
Thesis Title: Economic Growth in Russia: a Comparative Perspective
Master's in Economics
Degree in Applied Mathematics and Physics
Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology
Russia KLEMS group: https://www.hse.ru/en/russiaklems/
Student Term / Thesis Papers
A. Tolokonnikov «Structural Сhanges and Labor Productivity Growth in the Economy of Kazakhstan». International College of Economics and Finance, 2017
V. Burtseva «Efficiency of Oil and Gas Industry in the Centrally Planned and Market Economies». Faculty of Social Sciences, 2017
- Basics of econometrics (Optional course (faculty); Faculty of Mathematics; 3, 4 module)Rus
- Research Seminar (2d year) (Bachelor’s programme; Faculty of Economic Sciences; 2 year, 2-4 module)Rus
- Research Seminar "Development Economics and Russian Economy" (Master’s programme; Faculty of Economic Sciences; 1 year, 1-4 module)Eng
- Research Seminar «Firms and Markets» (Master’s programme; Faculty of Economic Sciences; 1 year, 1-4 module)Rus
Editorial board membership
2017: Member of the Editorial Council (International Advisory Committee), International Productivity Monitor (International Productivity Monitor ).
Project "Long run growth and structural change in the Soviet Union and the Commonwealth of Independent States since 1960". Grant № 17-05-0035 within the framework of the Academic Fund Program at the National Research University Higher School of Economics in 2017, supported within the framework of a subsidy granted to the HSE by the Government of the Russian Federation for the implementation of the Global Competitiveness Program.
Russia KLEMS group: https://www.hse.ru/en/russiaklems/
- 2018Гайдаровский форум. Россия и мир: цели и ценности. Presentation: Долгосрочные источники роста российской экономики до и после кризиса 2008 г.
- BLS Economic Seminar Series (Вашингтон). Presentation: Productivity and long run economic growth in Russia
- 5th World KLEMS Conference (Бостон). Presentation: Intermediate Inputs, Human Capital, Intangible Assets and Economic Growth in Russia
- 2016Weast Workshop 2016 "Understanding economic growth and development in Central and Eastern Europe" (Москва). Presentation: Accounting for Russia’s growth in 1961-2012
- XVII Апрельская международная научная конференция "Модернизация экономики и общества" (Москва). Presentation: Источники долгосрочного экономического роста российской экономики в 1961-2012 гг.
- Совещание специалистов национальных статистических служб стран СНГ: внедрение СНС 2008 (Минск). Presentation: Перспективы построения отраслевых счетов экономического роста СНГ в системе показателей World KLEMS
- 4th World KLEMS Conference (Мадрид). Presentation: Russia since 1995: Natural Gas, Catching Up, and Informality
- New Perspectives on the Economic History of Central, East and South-East Europe 1800 to the Present (Регенсбург). Presentation: Economic growth and sectoral developments of Central and East European Economies in 1989-2014
- The 2nd Hitotsubashi Summer Institute "The Economics of Services: Microfoundations, Measurement, and Productivity Policy" (Токио). Presentation: On CIS KLEMS and Russia KLEMS
- 34th IARIW General Conference (Дрезден). Presentation: Accounting for Russia’s Growth in 1961‐2012
- 34th IARIW General Conference (Дрезден). Presentation: Productivity, Structural Change and Informality: the Case of Russia
- Informality and Development A Conference in Honor of Elinor Ostrom (Блумингтон). Presentation: Productivity, Structural Change and Informality: The Case of Russia
- ASEEES 48TH ANNUAL CONVENTION (Вашингтон). Presentation: Accounting for Russia’s manufacturing growth in 1961-2012
- 2015Royal Economic Society Conference 2015 (Манчестер). Presentation: Sources of productivity growth in Eastern Europe and Russia after transition
- ACES Annual Meeting (Бостон). Presentation: Sources of productivity growth in Eastern Europe and Russia after transition
- 20143d World KLEMS Conference "Growth and Stagnation in the World Economy" (Tokyo). Presentation: Is the Russian Strategy 2020 Workable? Sources of productivity growth and policy implications for the Russian economy
- XV Апрельская международная конференция по проблемам экономики и общества (Москва). Presentation: Labour quality and productivity growth in Eastern Europe and Russia
- 201313th European Workshop on Efficiency and Productivity Analysis (Хельсинки). Presentation: Sources of productivity growth in the new EU Member States and Russia
- IARIW-UNSW Special Conference on Productivity Measurement, Drivers and Trends (Sydney). Presentation: Sources of productivity growth in Eastern Europe and Russia after transition
- Preprint Voskoboynikov I. Global slowdown and the Russian economy / The Vienna Institute for International Economic Studies. Series WIIW Monthly report "Monthly report". 2019.
- Chapter Voskoboynikov I., Burnell D., Nguyen T. Progress on Australia and Russia KLEMS, in: Measuring Economic Growth and Productivity. Elsevier, 2019. Ch. 12. P. 195-220.
- Article Voskoboynikov I. Structural change, expanding informality and labor productivity growth in Russia // Review of Income and Wealth. 2019 doi
- Chapter Voskoboynikov I. The transition period (1989 to the present). Economic growth and sectoral developments, in: The Economic History of Central, East and South-East Europe: 1800 to the Present. Routledge, 2019. Ch. 14. (in press)
- Article Voskoboynikov I. Sources of long run economic growth in Russia before and after the global financial crisis // Russian Journal of Economics. 2017. Vol. 3. No. 4. P. 348-365. doi
- Preprint Voskoboynikov I. Sources of long run economic growth of the Russian economy before and after the global financial crisis / NRU Higher School of Economics. Series WP BRP "Economics/EC". 2017. No. 179.
- Preprint Voskoboynikov I. Structural change, expanding informality and labour productivity growth in Russia / NRU Higher School of Economics. Series WP BRP "Economics/EC". 2017. No. 168.
- Article Timmer M. P., Voskoboynikov I. Is Mining Fuelling Long-run Growth in Russia? Industry Productivity Growth Trends since 1995 // Review of Income and Wealth. 2014. Vol. 60. No. Supplement S2. P. S398-S422. doi
- Preprint Voskoboynikov I., Solanko L. When high growth is not enough: Rethinking Russia’s pre-crisis economic performance / Bank of Finland Institute for Economies in Transition. Series DP "BOFIT Online". 2014. No. 6.
- Preprint Timmer M. P., Voskoboynikov I. Is Mining Fuelling Long-run Growth in Russia? Industry Productivity Growth Trends since 1995 / University of Groningen. Series GD "GGDC Research Memorandum". 2013. No. 137.
- Preprint Voskoboynikov I., Timmer M. P. Is Mining Fuelling Long-run Growth in Russia? Industry Productivity Growth Trends since 1995 / Bank of Finland Institute for Economies in Transition. Series DP "BOFIT Discussion Papers". 2013. No. 19.
- Article de Vries G. J., Erumban A. A., Timmer M. P., Voskoboynikov I., Wu H. X. Deconstructing the BRICs: Structural Transformation and Aggregate Productivity Growth // Journal of Comparative Economics. 2012. Vol. 40. No. 2. P. 211-227. doi
- Preprint Voskoboynikov I. New measures of output, labour and capital in industries of the Russian economy / University of Groningen. Series GD "GGDC Research Memorandum". 2012. No. 123.
- Preprint de Vries G. J., Erumban A. A., Timmer M. P., Voskoboynikov I., Wu H. X. Deconstructing the BRICs: Structural Transformation and Aggregate Productivity Growth / NRU Higher School of Economics. Series EC "Economics". 2011. No. 04.
- Preprint de Vries G. J., Erumban A. A., Timmer M. P., Voskoboynikov I., Wu H. X. Deconstructing the BRICs: Structural Transformation and Aggregate Productivity Growth / University of Groningen. Series GD "GGDC Research Memorandum". 2011. No. GD-121.
- Preprint Воскобойников И. Б., Шоломицкая Е. В. Отраслевая историческая статистика основных фондов российской экономики. Промышленность (1970–2004). Данные и источники / Высшая школа экономики. Серия WP2 "Количественный анализ в экономике". 2009. № 03.
- Preprint Воскобойников И. Б., Шоломицкая Е. В. Систематизация официальных публикаций показателей основных фондов российской экономики на примере промышленности в 1970–2004 гг. / Высшая школа экономики. Серия WP2 "Количественный анализ в экономике". 2009. № WP2/2009/04.
Russia KLEMS group: https://www.hse.ru/en/russiaklems/
Industrial growth accounting of the Russian economy Russia KLEMS within the World KLEMS initiative (www.worldklems.net).
December 17, 2019 was held a seminar on the work plan of the Russia KLEMS group in 2020, the transition to the 2008 SNA and taking into account cross-sectoral interactions, as well as preliminary results and problems of accounting for intermediate consumption components in Russia KLEMS 2020.
На семинаре группы Russia KLEMS, который состоялся 17 декабря 2019 г., И.Воскобойников представил направления работы в 2020 году.
The report "Sources of economic growth in the sectors of the economy of the USSR and Union republics in 1950-1990" at a meeting of the Center for Economic History of Moscow State University.
December 4, 2019 Ilya Voskoboynikov presented the work "Sources of Economic Growth in the Economy of the USSR and Union Republics in 1950-1990" at a meeting of the Center for Economic History of Moscow State University. This work was prepared in the framework of two HSE projects - Russia KLEMS and "Long-Term Economic Growth and Structural Changes in the USSR and the CIS Since 1960"
At the Asian KLEMS Conference 2019 “Growth and Productivity Challenges in Asia and China from a Global Perspective”, which was held at Tsinghua University in Beijing, I. B. Voskoboynikov, presented a report “Labor intensity and global productivity slowdown in Europe and Russia”.
The report "Productivity Dynamics in Industries Requiring High and Low Skills, Before and After the Global Crisis, in the Economies of Europe, Japan, Russia and the USA" was presented at the Conference held at the NIS HSE
At the international conference “Experience and Challenges in Studying Incomes and Welfare in the Countries of Eastern Europe and the CIS” that went to NRU HSE, a report was presented entitled “Dynamics of productivity in sectors requiring high and low qualifications, before and after the global crisis, in the economies of Europe, Japan, Russia and the USA "sponsored by Vokoboinikov I. B., Kirsten Jager and Robert Stehrer
Economists and Researchers Gather at International Conference on Wealth and Income in Eastern Europe and CIS Countries
On September 17-18, HSE University hosted a special conference with the International Association for Research in Income and Wealth (IARIW) on the topic of Experiences and Challenges in Measuring Income and Wealth in Eastern Europe and CIS Countries. This was the first IARIW conference to be held in a CIS country. HSE News Service spoke with American economist Barbara Fraumeni about her work with economic accounting and human capital and her experience attending the conference in Moscow.
09.13.2019 on the scientific and educational portal IQ.HSE.RU published an article by I. Voskoboinikov “Why is Eastern Europe poorer than Western?” (Https://iq.hse.ru/news/306245968.html)
The XVI April International Academic Conference on Economic and Social Development is scheduled to take place from April 7-10, 2015, but plans are already underway among the organizers and participants alike. Recently, Dale Jorgenson, Samuel W. Morris University Professor of Economics at Harvard University, spoke with the HSE news service about his long history of cooperation with HSE. Professor Jorgenson, an internationally recognized expert on information technology and economic growth, among other subjects, shared his expectations for this year’s conference.
The Social Science Research Network has published its university rankings for June.