- Deputy Director:The International Centre for the History and Sociology of World War II and Its Consequences
- Associate Professor:Faculty of Humanities / School of History
- Liudmila Novikova has been at HSE since 2013.
Education and Degrees
Candidate of Sciences* (PhD)
Lomonosov Moscow State University
According to the International Standard Classification of Education (ISCED) 2011, Candidate of Sciences belongs to ISCED level 8 - "doctoral or equivalent", together with PhD, DPhil, D.Lit, D.Sc, LL.D, Doctorate or similar. Candidate of Sciences allows its holders to reach the level of the Associate Professor.
Student Term / Thesis Papers
V. Iakovenko «Cities and City's Government in the Politics of the Volunteer Army during the Civil War». Faculty of Humanities, 2017
M. Kondrashin «Protestant Communities of Moscow and the Moscow Region during the Great Terror». Faculty of Humanities, 2017
E. Erokhina «Interethnic Relations and Nationality Policies of the USSR and Nazi Germany in Ukraine, 1920’s–1940’s (Based on the Harvard Project)». Faculty of Humanities, 2016
A. Kargashina «Women's Magazine "Rabotnitsa" in the Soviet Propaganda System (1941–1945)». Faculty of Humanities, 2016
P. Budberg «Crimes committed by the Red Army servicemen during the Second World War (on the territory of the USSR).». Faculty of History, 2014
K. Golomazova «"Social" diseases of the Red Army's servicemen during the Great Patriotic War». Faculty of History, 2014
R. Andreev «Mass Sentiments and Soviet Propaganda in the Tatar ASSR During the Great Patriotic War». Faculty of Humanities, 2017
- Book Novikova L. La “controrivoluzione” in provincia. Movimento bianco e Guerra civile nella Russia del nord, 1917-1920 / Пер. с рус. Rome : Viella, 2015.
- Book Russia’s Home Front in War and Revolution, 1914-22 / Ed. by L. Novikova, S. Badcock, A. Retish. Vol. 1: Russia’s Revolution in Regional Perspective. Bloomington : Slavica Publishers, 2015.
- Book СССР во Второй мировой войне: Оккупация. Холокост. Сталинизм / Отв. ред.: О. В. Будницкий; под общ. ред.: О. В. Будницкий, Л. Г. Новикова. М. : РОССПЭН, 2014.
- Book Новикова Л. Г. Провинциальная "контрреволюция": Белое движение и Гражданская война на русском Севере, 1917-1920. М. : Новое литературное обозрение, 2011.
Articles and chapters9
- Article Ljudmila Novikova. Horizonterweiterung: Zur Historiography der Russischen Revolution / Пер. с рус. // Osteuropa. 2017. Vol. 67. No. 6-8. P. 295-304.
- Article Novikova Ljudmila Le zemstvo de la région (oblast') du Nord pendant la guerre civile : entre représentation politique et bureaucratie administrative // Cahiers du Monde Russe. 2017. Т. 58. № 1-2. С. 95-122.
- Article Новикова Л. Г. Сталин, Гитлер и Донбасс // Ab Imperio. 2017. № 3. С. 281-289.
- Article Novikova L. The Russian Revolution from a Provincial Perspective // Kritika: Explorations in Russian and Eurasian History. 2015. Vol. 16. No. 4. P. 769-785. doi
- Chapter Novikova L. Zemstvo, State, and Peasants in Arkhangel’sk Province, 1917-20, in: Russia’s Home Front in War and Revolution, 1914-22 / Ed. by L. Novikova, S. Badcock, A. Retish. Vol. 1: Russia’s Revolution in Regional Perspective. Bloomington : Slavica Publishers, 2015. P. 87-108.
- Article Ljudmila Novikova. Kontinuum der Gewalt: Der Norden Russlands 1914–1920 // Osteuropa. 2014. Vol. 64. No. 2-4. P. 157-170.
- Article Liudmila G. Novikova. Russia’s Red Revolutionary and White Terror, 1917–1921: a Provincial Perspective // Europe-Asia Studies. 2013. Vol. 65. No. 9. P. 1755-1770. doi
- Article Novikova, Ljudmila G. Il grano e le armi. Rivoluzione, 'controrivoluzione' e guerra civile popolare nella Russia del nord, 1917-1920 / Пер. с рус. // Rivista Storica Italiana. 2012. Vol. 124. No. 2. P. 734-763.
- Article Liudmila G. Novikova. Northerners into Whites: Popular participation in the counter-revolution in Arkhangel'sk province, summer-autumn 1918 // Europe-Asia Studies. 2008. Vol. 60. No. 2. P. 277-293.
Book reviews and review essays6
- Article Новикова Л. Г. Место "блокадной этики" в дискуссиях о войне и сталинизме // Российская история. 2014. № 3. С. 30-33.
- Article Новикова Л. Г. [Рецензия на книгу] E.C. Landis. Bandits and Partisans: The Antonov Movement in the Russian Civil War (Pittsburgh, University of Pittsburgh Press, 2008) // Российская история. 2013. № 1. С. 216-219.
- Article Novikova L.G. [Review of] Robert Service. Trotsky: A Biography (London: Macmillan, 2009); David North. In Defense of Leon Trotsky (Oak Park, MI: Mehring Books, 2010) // Slavonic and East European Review. 2012. Vol. 90. No. 3. P. 561-563.
- Article Novikova L.G. [Review of] Matthew Rendle. Defenders of the Motherland: The Tsarist Elite in Revolutionary Russia (Oxford and New York: Oxford University Press, 2010) // Slavonic and East European Review. 2011. Vol. 89. No. 3. P. 567-568.
- Article Novikova L.G. [Review of] Igal Halfin, Intimate Enemies: Demonizing the Bolshevik Opposition, 1918-1928 // Slavonic and East European Review. 2009. Vol. 87. No. 3. P. 569-571.
- Article Новикова Л. Г. Революция 1917 года и гражданская война в российской провинции: два взгляда западных историков // Российская история. 2009. № 6. С. 169-176.
- 2015ICCEES IX World Congress (Makuhari). Presentation: “Grassroots violence in the Russian Civil War”
- 2014Patriotic Cultures during the First World War (Санкт-Петербург). Presentation: “From the First World War to the Russian Civil War: The Patriotisms of Reds and Whites”
- 2013BASEES/ICCEES European Congress (Cambridge). Presentation: “Civil War in North Russia: Zemstvo role in the White administration and the etatization of the local self-government, 1918-1920”
Editorial board membership
2013: Member of the Editorial Board (Associate Editor), Kritika: Explorations in Russian and Eurasian History.
International Scholarly Conference "A «Memory Revolution»: Soviet History through the Lens of Personal Documents"
The conference was held on 7-8 June 2017 in Moscow
Doctoral schools provide an opportunity for international doctoral students to undertake part of their study or research at HSE. The university offers two types of traineeships – research and study. The study stay involves taking courses from the HSE doctoral schools. The research stay offers the opportunity to work with a particular academic advisor or at an international research laboratory or centre; gain access to international full-text and abstract databases, journals and books; and attend graduate seminars.
Higher School of Economics hosted the conference Looking Back, Looking Forward: New Directions in World War II Research to mark the fifth anniversary of the International Centre for the History and Sociology of World War II and Its Consequences.
Slavica Publishers (Indiana University, Bloomington, USA) issued the first book of the collection of essays ‘Russian Home Front in War and Revolution, 1914-22’.
Slavica Publishers (Bloomington, IN) issued the collection of papers edited by Liudmila Novikova, Deputy Director of the the International Center for the History and Sociology of World War II and Its Consequences. Novikova also prepared one of the chapters.
Extramural School ‘Forced Labour during WWII: Analysis of Documents and Exchange of International Experiences’
From October 1 – 7th, 2015, HSE students and graduates in history participated in an extramural school headed by Professor Oleg Budnitsky on ‘Forced Labour during WWII: Analysis of Documents and International Exchange of Experience’ in Berlin, Germany.
HSE has hosted the international academic conference ‘Europe, 1945: Liberation, Occupation, Retribution,’ during which historians, sociologists, and culturologists from various countries discussed the social, economic, military, political, and cultural phenomena caused by World War II. In an interview with the HSE News Service, the Director of HSE’s International Centre for the History and Sociology of World War II and Its Consequences, Oleg Budnitskii, discusses the conference, its organizers, and its guests, and also talks about why it is important to study the human dimension of war.
The publishing house Viella issued the Italian edition of the book La “Controrivoluzione” in Provincia. Movimento Bianco e Guerra Civile nella Russia del Nord, 1917–1920 (Provincial Counter-revolution: White Movement and the Civil War in North Russia, 1917-1920) by Liudmila Novikova, Deputy Director of The International Center for the History and Sociology of World War II and Its Consequences and Associate Professor at the School of History.