- Academic Advisor:Center for Market Studies and Spatial Economics
- Academic Supervisor:HSE Campus in St. Petersburg / Centre for Interdisciplinary Basic Research
- Kristian Behrens has been at HSE since 2013.
Education and Degrees
Doctor of Sciences*
University of Burgundy
PhD in Regional and Urban Economics
University of Burgundy
Master's in Econometrics and Mathematical Economics
University of Burgundy
A post-doctoral degree called Doctor of Sciences is given to reflect second advanced research qualifications or higher doctorates in ISCED 2011.
- Article Behrens K., Barbero J., Zofio J. L. Industry location and wages: The role of market size and accessibility in trading networks // Regional Science and Urban Economics. 2018. Vol. 71. P. 1-24. doi
- Preprint Aleksandrova E., Behrens K., Kuznetsova M. Manufacturing (co)agglomeration in a transition country: Evidence from Russia / National research university Higher School of economics. Series WP BRP "Basic research program". 2018.
- Article Behrens K., Pokrovsky D. A., Zhelobodko E. Market size, occupational self-selection, sorting, and income inequality // Journal of Regional Science. 2018. Vol. 58. No. 1. P. 38-62. doi
- Article Behrens K., Bougna T., Brown M. The World is not yet Flat: Transport costs matter! // The Review of Economics and Statistics. 2018 doi (in press)
- Article Behrens K., Albouy D., Robert-Nicoud F., Seegert N. The optimal distribution of population across cities // Journal of Urban Economics. 2018 doi
- Article Behrens K., Bougna T. An anatomy of the geographical concentration of Canadian manufacturing industries // Regional Science and Urban Economics. 2015. Vol. 51. P. 47-69. doi
- Article Behrens K., Kichko S., Zhelobodko E. V. Competition in the traditional sector does not matter for the ‘Core–Periphery’ model // Economics Letters. 2014. No. 122. P. 94-99. doi
- Preprint Pokrovsky D. A., Zhelobodko E. V., Behrens K. Market Size, Entrepreneurship, and Income Inequality / Centre for Economic Policy Research. Series ISSN 0265-8003 "Centre for Economic Policy Research Discussion Paper Series". 2014. No. DP9831.
- Preprint Pokrovsky D. A., Behrens K., Zhelobodko E. V. Market Size, Entrepreneurship, and Income Inequality / EERC. Series "Labor markets and social policy". 2014.
- Article Behrens K., Duranton G., Robert-Nicoud F. Productive cities: Sorting, selection and agglomeration // Journal of Political Economy. 2014. Vol. 122. No. 3. P. 507-553.
- Article Behrens K., Robert-Nicoud F. Survival of the ﬁttest in cities: Urbanisation and inequality // The Economic Journal. 2014. No. 124. P. 1371-1400.
- Article Behrens K., Peralta S., Picard P. M. Transfer pricing rules, oecd guidelines, and market distortions // Journal of Public Economic Theory. 2014. Vol. 16. No. 4. P. 650-680.
- Article Behrens K., Bala A. P. Do rent-seeking and interregional transfers contribute to urban primacy in Sub-Saharan Africa? // Papers in Regional Science. 2013. Vol. 92. No. 1. P. 163-195.
- Article Behrens K., Corcos G., Mion G. Trade crisis? What trade crisis? // The Review of Economics and Statistics. 2013. Vol. 95. No. 2. P. 702-709.
- Article Robert-Nicoud F., Behrens K. Tempora mutantur: In search of a new testament for neg // Journal of Economic Geography. 2011. No. 11. P. 215-230.
- Article Behrens K., Picard P. Transportation, freight rates, and economic geography // Journal of International Economics. 2011. No. 85. P. 280-291.
- Article Behrens K., Lamorgese A., Ottaviano G., Tabuchi T. Beyond the Home Market Effect: Market size and specialization in a multi-country world // Journal of International Economics. 2009. No. 79. P. 259-265.
- Article Behrens K., Murata Y. City size and the Henry George theorem under monopolistic competition // Journal of Urban Economics. 2009. No. 65. P. 228-235.
- Article Behrens K., Hamilton J., Ottaviano G., Thisse J. Commodity tax competition and industry location under the destination and the origin-principle // Regional Science and Urban Economics. 2009. No. 39. P. 422-433.
- Article Behrens K., Gaigné C., Thisse J. Industry location and welfare when transport costs are endogenous // Journal of Urban Economics. 2009. No. 65. P. 195-208.
- Article Behrens K., Lamorgese A., Ottaviano G., Tabuchi T. Changes in transport and non-transport costs: local vs global impacts in a spatial network // Regional Science and Urban Economics. 2007. No. 37. P. 625-648.
- Article Behrens K., Murata Y. General equilibrium models of monopolistic competition: a new approach // Journal of Economic Theory . 2007. No. 136. P. 776-787.
- Article Behrens K., Picard P. Welfare, home market effects, and horizontal foreign direct investment // Canadian Journal of Economics. 2007. Vol. 40. No. 4. P. 1118-1148.
2004 – 07: Post-doctoral, core, Université catholique de Louvain, Belgium.
2000 – 03: PhD in Regional and Urban Economics, Université de Bourgogne, France.
1998 – 00: MA in Econometrics and Mathematical Economics, Université de Bourgogne.
Kristian Behrens serves as Leading Research Fellow at the HSE Centre for Market Studies and Spatial Economics (CMSSE) and Academic Supervisor at the Centre for Interdisciplinary Basic Research at HSE St. Petersburg. Professor Behrens focuses primarily on regional and urban economics, new economic geography, international and interregional trade, multiregional spatial and urban systems, and monopolistic competition. He recently spoke with the HSE New Service about the work currently being undertaken by CMSSE, his broader research interests, and his impressions of working in St. Petersburg.