Sarah B. Spencer
- Assistant Professor:HSE Campus in Perm / Faculty of Economics, Management, and Business Informatics / School of Management
- Sarah B. Spencer has been at HSE since 2013.
Education and Degrees
University of Chicago
Thesis Title: Social Relations in Post Soviet Society
Diploma in Sociology
University of Chicago
- The Methodology of Scientific Research in Management: Academic Research Methods in Marketing (Master’s programme; Faculty of Economics, Management, and Business Informatics; programme "Marketing"; 1 year, 2, 4 module)Rus
- Theory of Organization and Organizational Behavior (Bachelor’s programme; Faculty of Economics, Management, and Business Informatics; programme "Management"; 2 year, 3, 4 module)Rus
- Methodology and Research methods in Sociology: Quantitative Research methods (Master’s programme; Faculty of Social Sciences; programme "Comparative Social Research"; 1 year, 1 module)Eng
- Methods in Sociology Research Seminar (Bachelor’s programme; Faculty of Social Sciences; programme "Sociology"; 2 year, 1-4 module)Eng
- Sociological Reasoning: Journal Seminar (Bachelor’s programme; Faculty of Social Sciences; programme "Sociology"; 2 year, 3, 4 module)Eng
Academic Writing Seminar - 2016 Module 3-4
Editorial board membership
2015: Member of the Editorial Board, Экономическая социология.
XVI April International Academic Conference on Economic and Social Development (Москва). Presentation: A Cross-National Comparison of the Effect of Work-Related Factors on Membership in Voluntary Associations
- American Sociological Association Annual Meeting (Chicago, Illinois). Presentation: The Significance of Work for Voluntary Associations: A Cross-National Comparison
- ASEEES Annual Convention (Philadelphia, Pennsylvania). Presentation: The 'Kollektiv' and 'Chaepitie': Daily Practices in the Workplace
- 2014XV April International Academic Conference on Economic and Social Development (Moscow). Presentation: Studying the Converse of Social Change: A Theoretical Synthesis
- North Central Sociological Association Annual Meeting (Cincinnati, Ohio). Presentation: Social Stability: Building a Theory of Social Not-Change
- ASEEES-CESS Joint Regional Conference (Astana). Presentation: Recruitment to Participation in Local Communities: A Case Study in Siberia
- Chapter Spencer S. B., Mayorova O. V., Suslova S. V., Bozhya-Volya A. A., Shvarczaid E. R. Conditions for Local Self-Governance Across Russian Regions, in: XVII Апрельская международная научная конференция по проблемам развития экономики и общества: в 4 кн. / Отв. ред.: Е. Г. Ясин. Кн. 2. М. : Издательский дом НИУ ВШЭ, 2017. P. 384-392.
- Chapter Spencer S. B., Almakaeva A. A Cross-National Comparison of the Effect of Work-Related Factors on Membership in Voluntary Associations, in: XVI Апрельская международная научная конференция по проблемам развития экономики и общества: в 4 кн. / Отв. ред.: Е. Г. Ясин. Кн. 4. М. : Издательский дом НИУ ВШЭ, 2016. P. 101-109.
- Article Спенсер С. Б., Скалабан И. А. Стратегии общественного участия лидеров формальных и неформальных объединений // Вестник Томского государственного университета. Философия. Социология. Политология. 2012. Т. 1. № 17. С. 158-170. (in print)
- Article Spencer S. B. Culture as Structure in Emerging Civic Organizations in Russia // Nonprofit and Voluntary Studies Quarterly. 2011. Vol. 40. No. 6. P. 1073-1091. (in print)
- Chapter Spencer S. B. Culture at Work in Post-Socialist Society, in: Research in the Sociology of Work: Volume 18, Economic Sociology of Work. SAGE Publications, 2009. P. 287-311. (in print)
- Chapter Spencer S. B. Becoming Global? Evangelism and Transnational Practices in Russian Society., in: Deciphering the Global: Its Scales, Spaces and Subjects. NY : Routledge USA, 2007. P. 79-96. (in print)
- Article Spencer S. B. Strategies of Daily Life: Social Capital and the Informal Economy in Russia // Sociological Imagination. 2001. Vol. 38. No. 3. P. 166-189. (in print)
- Chapter Spencer S. B., Parish W. L. Gender and Work, in: The Changing Social Contract: Chinese Urban Life Under Reform. Cambridge : Cambridge University Press, 2000. P. 209-231. (in print)
Sarah Busse Spencer, Associate Professor at the School of Management at HSE Perm, presented the results of research into the organizational culture within Russian high tech companies at the Annual Meeting of the American Sociological Association, held August 20-23, 2016, in Seattle, Washington.
Members of the Sector of Public-Private Partership Research presented preliminary results of their latest collaborative research as part of HSE's April Conference. On 20.04.16, Sarah Busse Spencer gave the presentation on "Conditions for local territorial self-governance (TOS) in Russian Regions". Coauthors of the presentation are Olga Mayorova, Svetlana Suslova, Anastasia Bozhya-Volya and Ekaterina Schwartzaid. The presentation was given in the first panel of the three-day session entitled "Local Self-Governance and Civil Self-Organization", under the direction of Irina Mersianova.
Students of the international Master’s programme in Comparative Social Research, which opened in 2014, spent their first semester studying at the Moscow campus of the Higher School of Economics; the second semester was spent in St. Petersburg. Another six months will be devoted to study abroad. Mobility in the educational process is an important principle of the programme that allows future sociologists to better understand social reality. The English-language programme turned out to of interest not only to Russian students, but also to graduates of prestigious foreign universities.
The Higher School of Economics is becoming more and more internationalized. It is for this reason that HSE Day, which took place at Gorky Park, reached an international level as well. Among the numerous activities at the event were ones that featured English as their main form of communication. Thanks to this, international students, foreign instructors, and all guests of the celebration who wanted to speak English were able to feel they could take full participation in the events.