Research purpose: to analyze cultural sector financing in the Russian regions and to develop proposals to improve its effectiveness.
- Analysis of the RF consolidated budgetary expenditure on culture in 2010-2013;
- Cost-effectiveness evaluation in regional cultural expenditure;
- Grouping Russian regions based on the established criteria and calculations;
- Assessment of cost-effectiveness in cultural sector for the selected groups of regions;
- Development of the proposals to improve the efficiency of public funding.
Methodology: Methodological approaches used in the study arebased on a combination of the expenditure analysis of the RF consolidated budget and the expenditures of the regional budgets on cultural sector, and the analysis of statistical data on funding and performance of cultural institutions in major sub-sectors (theatres, museums, libraries, etc.) in the Russian regions. When grouping the regions and assessing the cost-effectiveness in cultural sector, we consider such factors as fiscal capacity, population density, urbanization level, etc. and their impact on different cultural sub-sectors.
Information base of the research: The following databaseswere used to study the cultural sector funding in the Russian regions:
- Annual reports on the implementation of the RF consolidated budget and regional budgets in 2010-2013, source – official website of the Federal Treasury (www.roskazna.ru);
- Statistical handbooks of different cultural sub-sectors based on the data from annual reporting forms for 2010 –2013;
- Data posted on the official legal information web portal информация (www.pravo.gov.ru);
- Socio-economic indicators, source – official site of the Federal State Statistic Service (www.gks.ru);
- Information from the official website of the Russian Ministry of Economic Development (www.economy.gov.ru).
- developed the scientific approaches to improve the efficiency of public expenditure in cultural sector by sub-sectors (theatres, museums, libraries, etc.);
- developed the typology of the Russian regions based on the analysis of cultural sector financing, including the specifics of sub-sectors;
– an organized information and a database containing the volumes and structure of the RF consolidated budget expenditure on culture in 2010-2013, including the comparison with other sectors of social sphere, and a database of the expenditures of public cultural institutions (theatres, museums, libraries, etc.) by regions and by funding sources.
Recommendations on the implementation:
The conducted study provides general guidance for further work on the development of the detailed proposals to improve cost-effectiveness of both municipalities and regional authorities, and the Federal government.