Subject of research:
- population of Russia and different social groups;
- noncommercial non-state organizations (NCO);
- members, militants, volunteers, employees, heads of NCO;
- other actors of civil society in our country.
Tasks of research:
- system identification of monitored object;
- creating of data base of indicators of current position of civil society in Russia;
- preparation of analytical materials that could as well explain processes of russian civil society as describe empirical data about the current position of civil society in Russia
- modeling and prediction of ways to develop civil society in Russia.
- analysis of findings of theoretical and empirical, Russian and foreign investigations;
- collecting of empirical data using sociological methods (surveys, interviews, focus group).
- analysis and generalization of empirical data based on principles of historicism, comparative historical, comparative legal and formal-legal methods
- mathematical methods of data analysis (in particular ANOVA, factor analysis, cluster analysis (hierarchic, K-means), regression analysis, including multiple regression, binary logistic regression, TOBIT и HECKMAN regression, CHAID-analysis, etc.);
Empirical base of research:
- results of the previous rounds of studies on NPOs and on Russian civil society, conducted by the HSE Centre for Studies of Civil Society and the Nonprofit Sector during the 2009-2013;
- The mass Russian population survey on the subject “Donations and mutual aid in modern society”. Information was collected through structured interviews at the places of respondents’ residence. 2000 respondents older than 18 years old were questioned in 43 subjects of the Russian Federation. Multi-level stratified territorial random sample was used. Statistical error of obtained data is not higher than 3,3%.
- The mass Russian population survey on the subject “Motivation of volunteering”. Information was collected through structured interviews at the places of respondents’ residence. 2000 respondents older than 18 years old were questioned in 43 subjects of the Russian Federation. Multi-level stratified territorial random sample was used. Statistical error of obtained data is not higher than 3,3%.
- The mass Russian population survey on the subject «Social activity of population” . Information was collected through structured interviews according to special plan. Sample consists of 2000 respondents selected according to socio-demographic characteristics represented Russian adults according to sex, age and type of residence. Statistical error of obtained data is not higher than 3,3%. Each interview was conducted using structured questionnaire. The choice of regions id based on stratified sample that provides equal contribution of every region in final materials of research.
- Russian representative survey of NGO leaders. The sample size was 1000 NGOs. The program of studies and tools developed by IV Mersiyanova and LI Jacobson. The survey was conducted in 33 regions of Russia by quota sampling, using representative quotas on organizational and legal forms and year of registration of NGOs. In accordance with the set quotas interviewed leaders of organizations located in urban districts, towns and other municipalities in the territory of 33 subjects of the Russian Federation.
Results of research:
New empirical data about the current position of civil society in Russia is obtained as a result of the research, methodology of monitoring investigations of civil society in its different aspects is specified, theoretical conceptions explained processes of civil society are developed.
a) in theoretical area:
- taking into account psychological characteristics such as personal features, values, general beliefs and special preferences; emotional spectrum (including variety of emotions, ability to control emotions, personal level of happiness or depressiveness); goal-setting (including orientation on participation in formal or informal volunteering or other kinds of social activity: social, entertaining, religious; intelligence level (in particular level of verbal, social and emotional intelligence); cognitive abilities (in particular knowledge about formal and informal volunteering, NCO, civic intiative and associations, nonprofit sector); the level of consciousness (including self-control, will power, ability to overcome negative influence, self-esteem) theoretical conception of research of volunteers’ motivation is developed.
b) in methodological area:
- methodology of monitoring research of civil society in its different aspects is specified.
c) in the area of obtaining new empirical information
- features of volunteers’ motivation including personal characteristics, values, general beliefs and special preferences, emotional spectrum, goal-setting, intelligence level, cognitive abilities, the level of consciousness are founded out;
- characteristics of participation of Russians in donations using methodology comparable to methodology of the project “Giving in the Netherlands Panel Survey” are observed;
- degree of Russians’ readiness to participate in social activity is analyzed;
- features of social activity in different sociodemographic and professional groups and also factors and psychological barriers prevented self-organizing and engagement in social activity are observed;
- characteristics of Russians’ engagement in ethic consumption are founded out;
- data base of groups of indicators (about 130) gave opportunity to have dynamic observations of civil society is obtained.
- factors influenced on engagement of elderly Russians in volunteering are observed;
- NCO’s opportunities to be a “school of democracy” for their members are analyzed.
Level of implementation, recommendations on implementation or outcomes of the implementation of the results
Monitoring of civil society gives opportunity to make valid conclusions about the main parameters of civil society and nonprofit sector, support empirical base including interregional and intertemporal comparisons and also predict the development of institutions of civil society.
Materials of current research were used:
- for the preparation of informative analytical bulletin about the development of civil society and nonprofit sector in Russia that is edited by the Center for Studies of Civil Society and the Nonprofit Sector NRU HSE.
- for the summer school “Theoretical and empirical researches of social innovations as a factor of development of civil society, nonprofit sector and volunteering” conducted by the Center for Studies of Civil Society and the Nonprofit Sector NRU HSE on summer 2014.
The significance of study results are that they can be used in:
- government and municipal management in the development of concepts of federal, regional and municipal level programs and in legal acts in the field of development and support for the civic engagement and feasibility of non-profit organizations;
- in the training of staff in government and municipal management;
- in the curricula of educational institutions of different fields, including NPO management, government and municipal management, in the frame of staff qualification courses for government municipal management.