- Analyses of literature
- Analyses of RLMS data set
- Questionnaire of educational Internet projects’ heads
- Analyses educational on-line resources in Russian web
- Analyses of educational policy documents
Empirical base of research: 22 wave RLMS data set
Results of research:
There were identified the major areas of information and computer technologies application in school education and analyzed the usage of education on-line resources by Russian schoolchildren:
- Research of video games education potential
- Research of gamification
- Research of feedback between students and teachers using online resources and use automated systems performance assessment
- Research of teaching with visual technology
- Research of ICT
The use of information technology for informal and self-education students and its impact on educational outcomes is a recently new research topic. There is no formulated policy of using education on-line resources for improving the access for quality education for children from disadvantaged families. Simply providing technological infrastructure is not enough for this purpose. We can affirm the effect on basic math and reading skill from digital technology implantation.
The potential of educational on-line resources use for Russian schoolchildren self-development is covered in Russian educational policy documents but there is no a defined strategy yet. The classification of on-line resources of Russian web was composed by Russian researchers:
- Dominance of distance tutoring and paid platform with online courses
- A small segment of new educational technologies including video games, simulators etc.
- There is also more resources for cognitive skills development than non-cognitive
- Socialization of children and adolescents
- There is a significant share of commercial resources.
We also have defined the characteristics of educational on-line resources use by schoolchildren depends on their parents education level and socio-economic status. We answered that access to computers and Internet is connected with family background but didn’t find any significant differences in educational on-line resources use by children from families with high economic status, more educated parents or type of the territory where family lives.
Level of implementation, recommendations on implementation or outcomes of the implementation of the results
The results can be used in analytical and methodological support of the state policy in next areas:
- Development of educational information environment
- Out-of-school informal education
- Improving the access to quality education due to online educational resources.