Methodology: institutional analysis,case study, historical research, statistics analysis, analysis of documents of the Ministry of Culture of the Russian Federation
Empirical base of the research: mainly based on the case studies in several regions of the Russian Federation that researchers have investigated. The research was supplemented by the analysis of cultural policy in various sectors – such as protection of cultural heritage, preservation of historical memory in a wide range of ethnic and cultural contexts, local practices associated with such institutions as libraries or Houses of Culture. The research is also dealing with a number of general problems related to the condition and transformation of cultural institutions .
Results of the research: There are several basic tendencies in the sphere of cultural practices:
- there is a significant part of cultural activities realized apart from the existing network of specialized state institutions. This sphere is not considered by the existing system of information support of state cultural policy, so they do not have any opportunities to confirm their existence status. It gives a wide range of developing cultural practices which remain disregarded or underestimated;
- in the process of the interaction with authorities behavior ofculturalactors can vary from co-operation to deliberately declared independence. It is necessary to look for new ways to support and stimulate projects that do not relate to the existing network of cultural institutions, organizations and associations;
- actual network of cultural institutions has specific features that permits to define it as delocated. They concentrate in one area but belong to different departments, so they do not have connections to the territory or between each other;
- existing network of cultural institutions is suffering und certain organizational inertia caused by an exaggerated amount regulating legal documents on both federal and regional levels;
- this can be also explained by the fact that actual system of these organizations, firstly charged with providing specific services of the Soviet system (including propaganda function), has natural disposition to reactivate lost ideological functions.
Level of implementation, recommendations on implementation or outcomes of implementation of the results: The research raises questions of cultural policy intensification, new research methodology for analysis of the actual state of affairs in cultural sphere, as well as the problem of modernization of cultural institutions and strategies to support various creative social initiatives.