Goal of research:
To form the methods for the creation of aggregated index of public infrastructure development of the Russian cities with population over 100 000 pers. as an indicator which determines the quality of the current trends of the urban environment and helps in making management decisions and development the programs of infrastructure development in the Russian cities.
The research methodology is based on the integrated use of methods of economic and statistical research, foresight studies, crowdsourcing, marketing research.
Empirical base of research:
- Strategies for socio-economic development of the Russian cities;
- A survey conducted by the Institute for Regional Studies and Urban Planning of HSE as part of the project;
- Numbeo (base on assessment of living conditions in these cities and countries, Internet users);
- The Global Competitiveness Report 2015-2016;
- Best cities ranking and report. A special report from the Economist Intelligence Unit. August 2014;
- A Summary of the Liveability Ranking and Overview August 2014;
- Logistics Performance Index (The World Bank);
- Cities in Motion (Mercer);
- Rating of the Russian cities on urban infrastructure quality (URBANIKA);
- General rating of the attractiveness of the urban living environment (Russian Union of Engineers);
- Rating of sustainable urban development (SGM);
- Rating of the quality of life in the Russian cities (Financial University under the Government of the Russian Federation (Department of Sociology);
- Methods of assessing the quality of urban living environment (Ministry of Regional Development).
Results of research:
- Conducted an analysis of the world experience the transition to sustainable urban development with an emphasis on the development of public infrastructure;
- Conducted analysis of ratings of urban development in terms of public infrastructure;
- Conducted a survey on the analysis of the level and quality of development of public infrastructure in the Russian cities with population over 100 000 pers.;
- Created the methods approach of identifying models of public infrastructure;
- Created the methods of assessment of public infrastructure development of the Russian cities;
- Provided an analysis of open sources of statistical information to study the completeness of the information in terms of assessment the public infrastructure;
- Provided an analysis of foreign experience of the application of measures and instruments of public infrastructure development;
- Identified the current problems of public infrastructure development in the Russian cities.
The main conclusions and recommendations based on the results of the study:
- Main focus of the current models of urban growth aimed at the creation of comfortable living environment and use of key infrastructures of cities.
- It was found four basic approaches of the evaluation and ranking of public infrastructure: monetary, physical, expert-assessment approaches, the use of spontaneous data;
- Existing global rankings of public infrastructure are more highly specialized in concrete spheres of urban development;
- Analysis of the Russian ratings of assessment the development of the Russian cities and urban infrastructure showed that most of the methods of formation the ratings are reduced to the method of integral assessments of facilities;
- Expert community finds that there are significant problems in the development of infrastructure and the insufficiency of applied measures on the part of municipal authorities for their solution;
- The main causes of problems in the development of urban infrastructure in the Russian cities due to contradictions between the immediate needs of urban development and the real possibilities of local administrations;
- The proposed index of development of public infrastructure should take into consideration: current status of infrastructure development in urban areas; current conditions of infrastructure development and quality of urban policies, including well-established business climate and the nature of relationships between business and the authorities; satisfaction the quality of infrastructure and services by urban residents; supply and demand in infrastructure services by all stakeholders; economic potential of the infrastructure;
- The method of calculating the index of development of public infrastructure proposed to be built on a combination of physical and expert evaluation approaches.