Goal of research:
To gather data and calculate the aggregate annually updated “Index of development of public infrastructure of the Russian cities with population over 100 thousand people”, as the indicator that determines the status and current trends in the quality of the urban environment, and the instrument of making the operational decisions and developing the programs of city infrastructure development in Russian cities.
The research methodology is based on the integrated application of methods of economic and statistical research, analysis, comparison.
Empirical base of research:
- Database of municipalities of Rosstat;
- Materials of the strategies for socio-economic development of cities;
- Official sites of Administrations of cities;
- The index of the quality of the urban environment by Strelka, the AHML, the Ministry of the construction Russian Federation;
- Rating of the Russian cities for quality of city infrastructure (Urbanik);
- The General rating of attractiveness of the urban environment (the Russian Union of engineers);
- Rating of sustainable development of cities (SGM);
- Rating of quality of life in Russian cities (Financial University under the RF Government (Department of sociology);
- Methods of evaluation of the quality of the urban environment (former Ministry of regional development of the Russian Federation).
Results of research:
- conducted the analysis of the priorities of the state policy in city development sphere in 2017;
- revised methodological approaches to the assessment of the development of social infrastructure of Russian cities;
- provided a further analysis of open sources of statistical information on the presence of complete information on estimates of public infrastructure;
- carried out a pilot calculation of an integral index of development of social infrastructure;
- formed of recommendation to local authorities for improving policies in the field of development of urban infrastructure.
The main conclusions and recommendations based on the results of the study:
- main focus of the current models of urban growth aimed at the creation of comfortable living environment and use of key infrastructures of cities.
- development of the urban environment is designed as a state priority and requires the formation of specific approaches and criteria to identify instruments and mechanisms for the management of its development;
- proposed index of the development of public infrastructure needs firstly to consider and to enable the evaluation of the quality of infrastructure and services, supply and demand of infrastructure services by all stakeholders;
- methodological approaches to the calculation of the index of development of social infrastructure (made within previous research TZ-39) should be revised regarding to the selection of indicators characterizing the quality and value of public infrastructure;
- re-analysis of the existing ratings of the urban environment have shown that they include the resulting indicators according to official statistics, and don’t allow to assess the qualitative characteristics of the infrastructure;
- conducting the data collection for the selected indicators by experts revealed the problem of low reliability and incompleteness of data available according to open sources.