Goal of research: to develop a sustainable (in respect to publication activity, knowledge exchange, and attraction of extramural funding), and authoritative international approach to economy, management and policy in health economics.
Research direction No. 1 (Measurement of indices of health): In 2017 we have continued to conduct studies on the basis of data analysis and also we have started collection of our own data for obtaining statistical experimental values for the questionnaire of EQ-5D (and for EQ-5D-Y) on the health states of patients and not patients in Russia.
Research direction No. 2 (Applied econometrics in the field of health): Based on the longitudinal data of RLMS database, we have continued to use the main econometric methods for research of dynamics of smoking and dynamics of the relations between people’s own assessment of health in the conditions of a shock situation and labor market indicators in Russia.
Research direction No. 3 (Cardiovascular diseases): We conducted qualitative field research (focus groups and in-depth interviews) in the beginning of 2017. We have submitted the application to the Ministry of Health of the Russian Federation for gaining access to the existing database on patients with cardiovascular diseases that will allow us to carry out statistical analysis.
Research direction No. 4 (Mental health): This qualitative research is based on conducting in-depth interviews, focus groups and mapping of communities. The project is implemented in cooperation with Bekhterev Psychoneurological Institute and also with the assistance of experts from London School of Economics and Royal College of London.
Research direction No. 5 (Behavioral indices and their assessment): This research is qualitative, it includes analysis of focus groups for understanding people’s attitude to smoking and smoking laws; in-depth interviews for determining of people’s attitudes to drug use and drug policy; the quantitative methods for development of a new subject in the sphere of obesity founded on RLMS database.
Empirical base of research:
1) Qualitative research in St. Petersburg and the Leningrad Region: a full-scale research with a research protocol approved by the Ethics Committee and strengthened by cooperation with leading international scientists that is being implemented within projects on cardiovascular diseases, smoking and mental health.
2) The relative valuation method for analysis of the relation between indicators of labor market and health.
3) The pilot project that explores different methodologies of receiving data on health assessment in St. Petersburg and Moscow.
4) Data at the national level will be collected by Levada Center.
Results of research:
In the field of the theory:
1) Development, adaptation, and improvement of tools on quality of life and health of the Russian population.
2) Implementation of the program of qualitative research (cardiovascular diseases and mental health) and the appeal to the spheres bound to the theory and methods of access to hard to reach groups of the population; a research of "unsteady" subjects in the conditions of the Russian context.
In development of methodology:
Empirical methodology is the main component by which the Center was guided in 2017. It is reflected in implementation of the approved protocols on projects of cardiovascular diseases and mental health; in use of econometric methods in the analysis of individual longitudinal RLMS data; in development, improvement and diffusion of tools of assessment and measurement of indicators of health for assessment of technologies of health care.
In obtaining new empirical knowledge:
Intellectual activity has manifested itself in the following concrete forms: original publications in high impact journals indexed in Scopus (6); collecting of various sources of primary data for 5 research directions (both quantitative and qualitative); analysis of primary and secondary data; different types of activities in the field of exchange of knowledge and experience (summer school, workshop, a conference).
Level of implementation, recommendations on implementation or outcomes of the implementation of the results of scientific research: Practical recommendations were developed on policy changes in the sphere of HIV prevention among vulnerable groups. Empirical evaluations that were executed on SAGE database allow to make corrections in the area of the pension reform that concerns the increase of retirement age. There were worked out indicators of effectiveness of development of healthcare for a specific region that can be used for development of healthcare strategies in other regions.