Goal of Research:
- Development of methods and tools for researching of characteristics of components of advanced microelectronic products with increased hardness to radiation and temperature influence.
- Development of improved methods, tools and models for designing of circuits on their basis which are intended to be used in special-purpose electronic equipment subject to the influence of various types of radiation and temperature.
Empirical Base of Research:
- Characteristics of actual test specimen of semiconductor devices, integrated circuits and printed circuit boards.
- Characteristics of semiconductor materials, devices, integrated circuits and printed circuit boards with increased hardness to radiation and temperature influence, which are given in leading foreign and domestic journals, information materials and reports of leading foreign and domestic companies involved in development and production of electron components, Internet sites etc.
Results of Research:
1. Methdology for multilevel designing of components of Si bipolar, SiGe hetejunction bipolar and SOI/SOS CMOS integrated circuits, operating both in normal conditions and under the influence of external factors (temperature and various types of cosmic radiation). Methdology is based on standard EDA tools: TCAD—ICCAP—Spectre/Eldo/HSpice etc.) that were customized to simulation of LSI’s under the conditions mentioned above.
2. Software system for simulation studies of Si BJT / SiGe HBT and SOI/SOS MOSFETs and other LSI components subject to cosmic radiation factors: temperature, ionising radiation (gamma-, neutrons, protons), single nuclear particles, which are up to the latest world achievements in respect of qualitative and quanitative level of models, completeness and complexity of solvable prolems.
3. 2D and 3D numerical models of electron components of various levels (traces, semiconductor devices and LSI components, LSI and PCB fragments) accounting for temperature effects.
4. Compact SPICE models of Si/SiGe BJTs amd MOSFETs accounting for radiation and temperature effects.
5. Three types of model parameter extraction procedures on the basis of test structures measurement results or TCAD simulation: 1) specific compact model-oriented, 2) employing a universal Agilent IC‑CAP extraction tool, 3) employing a specific ISExtract extraction tool—a part of Synopsys TCAD process and device simulation tool.
6. Methodology for designing compact models of BJTs and MOSFETs with account for radiation effects which comprises a simultaneous employment of macromodeling and introduction of approximating functions of parameters on radiation factors to the model.
7. Device and Process TCAD models of semiconductor devices and LSI components that physically account for radiation effects (gamma, neutrons, protons, single nuclear particles) and thermal effects (external temperature, self-heating).
8. Current-carrying capability and 2D thermal fields within the volume of traces (Ti, Cu, Ni) with low and very low thickness conductive layer (up to 2.5 um) on Aluminium, ceramic and polyimide substrates with various thickness and length. These results are of great interest for designing of ultramodern PCBs.
9. Results of neutron- and gamma-irradiation of domestic Si BJTs with cut-off frequency fT=5 GHz. Input and output characteristic curves before and after irradiation. SPICE model parameters of Si BJTs that are employed in radiation-hard circuit engineering in JSC Pulsar and JSC VNIIEM.
10. Characteristic curves of discrete diodes (4 types), BJTs and MOSFETs (7 types), operational amplifier 544UD2 in the temperature range –60 °C…+100 °C. SPICE model parameters that are employed in special-purpose electronic equipment in Federal State Unitary Enterprise VNIIA.
11. Method of determination of contact resistance to high-resistivity semiconductors (GaAs, CdTe etc.) employing forced illumination of near-contact zones (no domestic or international
12. For typical stages of analog and digital Si bipolar and SiGe heterojunction bipolar LSIs’ and SOI/SOS CMOS LSIs’ operating area is assessed with account for temperature and radiation.
Level of implementation, recommendations on implementation or outcomes of the implementation of Results
Tne results of this work can be used in the following enterprises: JSJ NIIME and Micron, JSC Research and Production Enterprise Pulsar, JSC NIIMA Progress, JSC Angstrem and others, which possess the necessary processing equipment and high-level personnel skills; above that, on enterprises of the Ministry of Defence, Federal Space Agency, Federal Atomic Energy Agency and other government agencies that are engaged in design and development of special-purpose electronic equipment, including: Federal State Unitary Enterprise Scientific Institute of Measuring Systems (N. Novgorod), Federal State Unitary Enterprise Russian Federal Nuclear Center VNIITF (Snezhinsk), Federal State Unitary Enterprise VNIIA, JSC Research and Production Association for Measurement Equipment (Korolev, Moscow Region) etc.
Results of the work were implemented:
In JSC Research and Production Enterprise Pulsar (see Item 9 of the Summary)
In JSC VNIIEM Corp. (see Item 9 of the Summary)
In Federal State Unitary Enterprise VNIIA . (see Item 10 of the Summary)
Field of application:
Electronic equipment for nuclear power industry, airspace industry, radiolocation, telecomunications, weapons and military systems, nuclear and othe ecological accidents control, nuclear and chemical waste disposal, as well as civilian special-purpose equipment.