• A
  • A
  • A
  • ABC
  • ABC
  • ABC
  • А
  • А
  • А
  • А
  • А
Regular version of the site

Answers to Students' Most Frequent Questions about Protective Measures against COVID-19

© HSE University

Since March 7, HSE University has cancelled all outbound academic mobility programmes in order to prevent the spread of novel coronavirus infection. Here we post the answers to the most important questions students have about the protective measures. Information will be updated. The list of most affected countries after arriving from which people need to self-isolate was expanded on March 16. Check the information below.

UPDATE March 13: What if I am seriously concerned about contracting coronavirus and don’t want to commute to HSE by public transport? Why doesn't the university transition entirely to an online format?

It is possible to opt for an individual distance learning curriculum. In order to choose this option, you need to write a request to your programme study office. Note that students may not take exams remotely.  

You can send your request and receive approval for an individual curriculum via e-mail.

Is it true that HSE University has cancelled all outbound academic mobility? What countries are banned?

Yes, the university has cancelled all international outbound mobility programmes. The ban includes all countries except Russia.

What if my inviting university has not closed its exchange programme?

The agreements have been stopped unilaterally in order to ensure the safety of HSE students.

What happens if I fly away anyway?

In this case, each day of your staying abroad will be treated as a day of absence with all the usual consequences (for example, in terms of accumulated absence assessment and not showing up for exams without a valid reason). In addition, your individual curriculum would not be approved and your tuition fees would not be reimbursed.

What if I am going abroad for personal reasons, such as a vacation for a couple of days?

To avoid violating the quarantine regime, leaving the country is not recommended. In the event you still decide to travel, we recommend informing the study office or the international student mobility centre.

How long will the ban last?

The ban has been introduced for an indefinite period, until further notice. We can definitely say that it will last until the end of the semester. Meanwhile, we have not stopped preparing for fall semester programmes.

Does the ban apply to inbound academic mobility programmes?

Yes, the ban includes inbound mobility as well.

How many HSE University students are currently away on academic mobility programmes?

Over 300.

What should they do right now?

Since the situation varies from country to country and is constantly changing, there are no standard recommendations. Students should first take into account the recommendations by their host universities and the country’s authorities: if classes have been cancelled, or it is recommended to leave the country, then it is, of course, better to return home.

In this case, it’s essential that you inform the study office of your programme, which will work with the International Student Mobility Centre on all the necessary procedures, including financial ones, if additional costs are incurred.

Will I receive the credits if I am currently in a mobility programme?

Yes, you will.

What should I do to get my mobility costs reimbursed?

Save all the papers that confirm any non-refundable expenses. For example, if you’ve paid for a dorm, obtain an official paper from the host university to refund the money you’ve spent. A special committee will start considering such cases in the near future.

If I decide to cut my mobility programme short and return to Russia, how do I go about final exams for the second semester (II semester of the 2019-2020 academic year)?

Decisions will be made on a case by case basis; however, it is imperative that you contact the study office of your programme as soon as possible.

I didn’t go abroad for my mobility programme or I returned prematurely. Can I expect that I will be able to go to the same foreign university during the next academic year without having to compete for a slot?

This decision depends on the foreign host university, but HSE University is negotiating the possibility of transfers being made possible in all cases that arise. Some partner universities have already supported this initiative.

I applied for an outbound student mobility contest for the fall of 2020. Will my application be considered?

Yes, all applications will be considered. The decision to lift the ban on outgoing and incoming mobility in the fall of 2020 will be made by the HSE administration pending the situation with the spread of coronavirus infection.

And what if I plan a trip abroad as a tourist or to see relatives?

To avoid violating the quarantine rules it is recommended not to leave the country. If you do decide to travel, you are advised to inform your programme study office about your departure and return dates.

If the student lives in a dorm, the dorm administration must also be informed of the departure and return dates.

What should I do if I return from a personal or study trip from a country that is on the list of most affected countries?

After returning to Russia, the student must inform the programme study office about it and self-isolate for a period of 14 days.

How do I self-isolate?

Self-isolation means that a person stays in their apartment or house ensuring minimum possible contact with others for at least 14 days. Leaving the house is only permitted in the event of emergency at off peak times.

In case of dorms, students must notify the dorm administration in advance of their return, so that the conditions for self-isolation are prepared prior to the student's arrival.

How will I study during self-isolation?

Student should contact the programme study office, agree on a curriculum and continue studying in the proposed format.

How can I find out if a certain country is on the Moscow Health Ministry’s list of countries most affected by the virus? Where is the list available?

You can find out which countries are currently on the list by calling the Moscow Government hotline by phone +7 (495) 870-45-09. As of March 16, the list includes USA, UK, all countries of the European Union, all non-EU European countries, Ukraine, Belarus, Iran, China, and Korea. If you do not speak Russian, please ask your buddy or classmates for assistance in finding this information.

What should I do if I return from a country that is not on the list of countries determined to have ‘unfavourable conditions’ with regard to the spread of coronavirus?

Students who arrive from any country before June 30, 2020 must inform the programme study office and the Centre for International Student Mobility.

March 12, 2020