• A
  • A
  • A
  • ABC
  • ABC
  • ABC
  • А
  • А
  • А
  • А
  • А
Regular version of the site

Studies and Mobility at HSE University in View of the Current International Situation

Answers to the most pressing questions

© Daniil Prokofyev/ HSE University

Due to the situation in Ukraine, students and staff have a lot of questions regarding studies and academic mobility. Here are answers to the most frequent questions. This list will continue to be updated.

For Students

What can I do if I am an international student on a mobility programme at HSE University and want to go home?

You can switch to online studies. Please inform us of your decision to leave via international.study@hse.ru.

With all questions and concerns please contact SIMO-Student International Mobility Office at international.study@hse.ru or +7 9169714807 (WhatsApp, Telegram available).

What can I do if I am an international bachelor’s student and want to go home?

We recommend taking an exceptional leave of absence. This will allow you to preserve your place and get back to your studies when you have the opportunity. More information on how to process a leave of absence is available in the HSE Academic Handbook.

What can I do if I am an international master’s student and want to go home?

If you intend to continue your studies at HSE University, your studies can be switched to an online format, pending approval by your Academic Supervisor.

What is the contact point for students who are on mobility programmes abroad and students who find themselves in a difficult situation?
  • All questions concerning mobility studies can be addressed to studyabroad@hse.ru. Students can also contact SIMO-Student International Mobility Office at +7 9169714807 (WhatsApp, Telegram available)
  • For all other questions please contact the HSE University Crisis Centre via phone +7 (495) 628-53-20 or email help@hse.ru. The Centre will refer students and staff to relevant divisions that provide psychological counselling, legal advice, help solving everyday issues, and arrange studies etc.

Students who find themselves in a difficult situation can apply to transition to remote studies via the Crisis Centre. All applications received by the Crisis Centre are considered by the Rector.

What will the format of studies be for all other students?

Starting from February 28, all classes at HSE University are taking place on-site, with the exception of intercampus disciplines and classes taught by teachers working remotely.

What can I do if I have been nominated for a mobility programme at an international university?

Students who have been nominated for mobility programmes (even those who have been issued visas) are recommended to take into consideration the travel restrictions and start the mobility online or postpone it until next semester. With all questions and concerns please email studyabroad@hse.ru.

Can I apply for mobility in the 2022 autumn semester?

Yes, the application process for study abroad programmes remains open. The deadline for applications is March 10 (11:59 pm, Moscow time). The format of online mobility will be discussed with partner universities as a prioritized one.

What can international students do to extend their Russian visas?

Please contact the HSE Visa and Registration Centre for information on how to extend your Russian visa.

  • In accordance with the law, foreign citizens arriving in Russia for a period of more than 90 days, including for education purposes, must undergo a medical examination and submit fingerprints and photographs. More information is available here.
How can international students pay their tuition fees from outside of Russia?

You can make a wire transfer to HSE University’s account in euros, US dollars, pounds sterling, or yuan in the amount determined by the figure in your educational agreement. To make the payment, you will need to contact your bank and submit a request for an international wire transfer to HSE University. Information about the university’s bank details is available on the page of the Accounting Office (Sberbank account for tuition fee payments). At present, only Sberbank accounts are used. Accounts with other banks may appear later.

Detailed Instructions (DOCX, 25 Кб)

For Faculty and Staff

What can I do if I am an HSE University teacher who is abroad and unable to enter Russia?

If you don’t expect to be able to return to Russia within 14 days, discuss remote work arrangement with your immediate supervisor and send them a proper request addressed to First Vice Rector Vadim Radaev (forms in Section 3 here).

  • For international hires and HQS visa holders 

Please contact your immediate supervisor or division coordinator for more information and assistance

Contact International Faculty Support for more information.

What will happen to external online study services and what tools are recommended to use today?

Teachers are recommended to switch to SmartLMS, which is a convenient platform for storing materials, collecting assignments from students, and grading. It is also highly recommended to save all documents, videos, images, research outcomes and other digital assets from cloud services by international providers (such as Microsoft OneDrive, Youtube, Google Drive, Apple iCloud, Adobe Creative Cloud etc) to local drives / USB drives. In the near future, the IT Office will publish detailed instructions for key cloud services.

March 01, 2022