At present, HSE University has completed its transformation into a global multidisciplinary educational, research, expert and engineering centre, with the supervision and support provided by its founder - the Government of the Russian Federation. The University’s potential allows it to enhance its impact on the progress of the Russian society, economics and state. Furthermore, on the new stage of its development, the University’s mission shall be determined by challenges facing our country, as well as the strategy for meeting new challenges, which was defined in Presidential Decree No. 204, dated May 7, 2018, and addresses of the President of the Russian Federation to the Federal Assembly of the Russian Federation.
The priorities of HSE University’s Development Strategy are driven by the University’s ambition to make the largest possible contributions to responses to challenges:
1. Ensuring the global competitiveness of Russian education, modernization of professional education, including through the introduction of flexible, practice-oriented and versatile educational programmes.
HSE University’s mission with regard to provisions of the National Project “Education”, the Russia’s Government programme “Development of Education”, as well as the “National Intellectual Capital Development” and “Ensuring Global Competitiveness of Higher Education in Russia” sub-programmes of the “Russia’s Research and Technological Development” Government programme, foresees addressing the following tasks:
- innovative alignment of educational processes with the aim of ensuring the development of Russia’s human (knowledge) capital and training professionals capable of working on the cutting edge of R&D activities;
- promoting Russia’s national interests in education and adapting and implementing research findings and best practices throughout Russia in the course of its international cooperation with partners and global organizations, along with its participation in international projects and network structures;
- facilitating the development of regional education systems, regional universities, and their academic staff members;
- enhancing the image of the University’s educational programmes for students around the world, primarily among representatives of academic, economic and political elites.
2. Ensuring the advanced implementation of Russia’s R&D potential in the context of profound technological transformations, as well as allowing the country to become a global leader in research and technological development.
HSE University’s mission in response to challenges, taking into account the provision of the “Russia’s Strategy for Research and Technological Development”, approved by Presidential Decree No. 642, dated December 1, 2016, the “Science” National Project, as well as the “Russia’ Research and Technological Development” Government programme, and areas of implementation of the National Technological Initiative, foresees the following efforts:
- implementing research programmes in the priority areas of Russia’s socio-economic, research and technological development;
- fostering conditions for social and economic engineering; preparing forecasts and projection; providing expert support with respect to policy-making;
- engaging in R&D projects, identifying promising areas of research and technological development in Russia, its regions and relevant industries, as well as creating effective political instruments for these fields;
- building partnerships with market leaders, with the aim of rapidly transferring best practices into learning and research processes, as well as capitalization of outcomes generated from the University’s intellectual activities.
3. Supporting social stability in Russia, increasing life expectancy and living standards with due consideration of social and territorial differentiation.
HSE University’s mission to respond to the challenges under such national projects as Demography, Health Care, Ecology, Culture, Housing and Urban Environment, as well as the Social Activity federal project under the national project “Education”, the Strategy for Spatial Development of the Russian Federation up until 2025, the Concept for Volunteering Initiatives Development in the Russian Federation up until 2025, and the Concept for Promoting Charity in the Russian Federation up until 2025, foresees the following:
- building and disseminating effective mechanisms for social mobility through education, implementing support measures for talented school students and learners from families with low incomes or low levels of parental education;
- promoting the implementation of social, demographic and migration policies, development of health care and poverty reduction, as well as combating educational and economic failure;
- boosting territorial development, e.g., urban planning, as well as the development of rural settlements;
- facilitating environmental policy implementation, preventing and overcoming the implications of environmental issues;
- contributing to state policies with respect to cultural and media development;
- developing socially-focused non-commercial organizations, charity and volunteering initiatives.
4. Digital transformation of the Russian economy and government.
HSE University’s mission in response to challenges, as specified in the national programme “Digital Economy”, as well as the Government programme “Information Society” of the Russian Federation, considers the following:
- developing systems for Big Data analysis with the aim of implementing long-term forecasting tasks, analyzing markets and prospective competencies;
- scientific practice-oriented development of digital instruments capable of compensating for insufficient resources and attaining principally new outcomes, primarily, in education, health care and social development, as well as social and economic policy;
- scientific development of practical cognitive and human behavioural patterns;
- implementing the University’s digital transformation in order to transition to a completely new level of research, educational and managerial processes;
- boosting accessibility of educational programmes and services at HSE University through the use of digital instruments.
5. Russia’s global positioning in the context of today’s volatile geopolitical environment.
HSE University’s mission in response to challenges, as defined in the provisions of the National Projects “Education” and “Science”, foresees the following:
- boosting Russia’s intellectual influence on international processes through consolidating the University’s positions in international production networks, as well as sharing knowledge and technological know-how;
- building and developing world-class research teams, as well as ensuring their viability;
- ensuring the University’s leading positions (e.g., Top-100 and Top-200) in global subject ratings for emerging research and technological fields, as well as its presence on the administrative bodies of academic and professional associations, and the editorial boards of leading journals;
- enhancing the attractiveness of the University’s degree programmes among students around the world, primarily among the representatives of academic, economic and political elites;
- initiating prospective global changes in education and science;
- establishing liaisons with leading universities and research centres around the world, as well as intellectual elites in competing and partner countries, with the aim of boosting competitive advantages of Russia’s science and education, while also enhancing their prestige overseas.
Each educational programme, research project or prospective solution developed at HSE University will have a significant impact on the success of Russia’s strategic development.
The following universal principles for the implementation of projects under this Programme will be as follows:
- human-focused activities and processes;
- integration of education, science, and applied developments;
- network interaction;
With the aim of implementing the Strategic Development Programme for up until 2030, HSE University will pursue its mission in the following fields:
- Education: Towards an Open Project-based Model
- Attracting and Retaining Talent
- Students’ and Alumni’s Role in the University’s Mission
- Research and Development: Interdisciplinary Approach, Partnerships, and Integration
- Developing Human Capital
- Contributions to Russia’s Education System
- HSE University and Society
- World-class University Facilities
- Economic Development Model