2.1. HSE University Today
Over the course of its 27 years, HSE University has become one of the largest comprehensive educational and research centres in the Russian Federation.
Today, HSE University is home to around 45,000 undergraduate and graduate students pursuing 278 degree programmes and 115 doctoral programmes, as well as almost 2,000 high-school learners enrolled at HSE Lyceum.
HSE University is one of the top Russian universities in terms of the quality of its government-funded and tuition-based enrolment (95.4 points and 83.8 points in 2019, respectively) for Bachelor’s programmes, ranks first in the country in terms of admitted Olympiad winners and prizewinners (1,277 students in 2019), and places first among Russia’s higher schools of economics in terms of the starting salary levels of its alumni.
The University has globally competitive teams of experienced and young Russian and international researchers and teachers in all fields of study: about 60% of academic staff has authored internationally recognized research publications.
HSE University, as an academic institution founded by the Government of the Russian Federation, engages in monitoring studies with respect to issues in the economic and social development, while also conducting analytical studies upon the request of the Russian Government.
Furthermore, the University is a leader in the Russian system of higher education in the introduction of online modes of study, as well as one of the main universities on the global online education market: with over 2 million learners from 195 countries, it is one of Top-5 universities with respect to its total number of courses offered via the global Coursera platform. Also, it ranks first in Russia in terms of courses offered via the National Open Education Platform with over 1 million registered learners.
HSE University is a globally oriented Russian institution: its share of international students (with Russian enrolment rapidly growing in parallel) has increased from 2.6 to 9.9% from 2013 until 2019; the share of international academic staff and PhD holders from leading global universities at HSE University’s Moscow campus has grown from 5.1 to 14.2%.
Moreover, the University’s global competitiveness is confirmed by its rankings in world university ratings, i.e., ARWU, QS, THE and U.S. News, as well as “The Three University Missions”; at the same time, the University:
- is among the Top-3 Russian universities for the total number of positions in global industry and subject-based rankings (38 positions overall);
- ranks first in Russia for 50% of its subjects (for 19 subjects);
- ranks second in Russia in the number of subjects in leading Top-100 world industry and subject-based rankings, i.e., QS “Social Sciences & Management” (#75), QS “Sociology”, QS “Politics & International Studies”, QS “Economics & Econometrics” (##51–100), ARWU “Sociology” (##51–75) and ARWU “Mathematics” (##76–100), and THE «Business & Economics» (#94);
- ranks in institutional global rankings: “The Three University Missions” (# 122, and 4th place in Russia), THE (##251–300, and 3rd place in Russia), QS (#322, and 7th place in), ARWU (##901–1000, and 11th place in Russia) and U.S. News (#574, and 8th place in Russia);
- is the only Russian university appearing in the Top-100 in two young universities global rankings (under 50 years old): QS Top-50 “Under 50” (#39) and THE Young University Rankings (#60).
As the report for 2018, presented by the Rector at the Staff and Student Conference at HSE University on March 20, 2019, all goals stated in “HSE Strategic Development Programme for 2009–2015 and up until 2020” have been fulfilled, with ¾ of the target indicators fully met, and with half of those exceeding the target.