- Mira Bergelson has been at HSE since 2013.
Education, Degrees and Academic Titles
Doctor of Sciences* in Language Theory
Institute of Linguistics of the Russian Academy of Sciences
- 2000Associate Professor
Lomonosov Moscow State University
A post-doctoral degree called Doctor of Sciences is given to reflect second advanced research qualifications or higher doctorates in ISCED 2011.
Awards and Accomplishments
- Analyzing stories, or what you would always like to know about narrative discourse (Bachelor’s programme; Faculty of Humanities; 2 year, 1, 2 module)Rus
- Intercultural Communication: Theory and Practice (Bachelor’s programme; Faculty of Communications, Media, and Design; programme "Journalism"; 4 year, 2 module)Rus
- Introducrtion to Cross-cultural Pragmatics (Master’s programme; Faculty of Humanities; programme "Русский как иностранный во взаимодействии языков и культур"; 1 year, 1, 2 module)Rus
- Introduction to Profession (Cross-Cultural Communication, Theory of Translation, Theory of Language Teaching) (Bachelor’s programme; School of Foreign Languages; programme "Foreign Languages and Intercultural Communication"; 2 year, 2-4 module)Rus
- Language in the Uneverse of Culture: The Russian Communicative Style (Master’s programme; Faculty of Humanities; programme "Русский как иностранный во взаимодействии языков и культур"; 1 year, 3 module)Rus
- Introduction to Profession (Cross-Cultural Communication, Theory of Translation, Theory of Language Teaching) (Bachelor’s programme; School of Foreign Languages; 2 year, 2-4 module)Rus
- Irish (Bachelor’s programme; Faculty of Humanities; 3 year, 1, 2 module)Rus
- Modern russian: sintax and discourse (Bachelor’s programme; Faculty of Humanities; 3 year, 3, 4 module)Rus
- Theory and Practice of Russian Literary Language (Bachelor’s programme; Faculty of Communications, Media, and Design; 1 year, 1 module)Rus
- Achieving Goals in Professional Communication: Linguistic Approach (Mago-Lego; 3, 4 module)Rus
- American Political Rhetoric (Master’s programme; Faculty of Communications, Media, and Design; 1 year, 4 module)Eng
- Studying Language in Vivo: Russian Linguistic and Cultural Heritage in Alaska (Bachelor’s programme; Faculty of Humanities; 3 year, 3, 4 module)Eng
- Theory and Practice of Russian Literary Language (Bachelor’s programme; Faculty of Communications, Media, and Design; 1 year, 1, 2 module)Rus
- Studying Language in Vivo: Russian Linguistic and Cultural Heritage in Alaska (Bachelor’s programme; Faculty of Humanities; 3 year, 3, 4 module)Eng
- Theory and Practice of Russian Literary Language (Bachelor’s programme; Faculty of Communications, Media, and Design; 2 year, 3, 4 module)Rus
Editorial board membership
2014: Member of the Editorial Council, Российский журнал когнитивной науки.
2009: Member of the Editorial Board, Russian Journal of Communication.
- Preprint Bergelson M., Kibrik A. A. Alaskan Russian Through the Prism of the Ninilchik Russian Dictionary Project: “Archaeological” Approach to Language Documentation / NRU HSE. Series WP BRP "Linguistics". 2017. No. 55.
- Chapter Bergelson M., Kibrik A. A. Alaskan Russian through the prism of the Ninilchik Russian Dictionary project: “Archaeological” approach to language documentation, in: 150 Years: Proceedings of the 2017 Kenai Peninsula History Conference. Seattle : Skookum Creek Publishing, 2017. (in print)
- Book Bergelson M., Kibrik A. A., Raskladkina M., Leman W. Dictionary of Ninilchik Russian / Рук.: M. Bergelson. Anchorage : Minuteman Press, 2017.
- Chapter Bergelson M., Khudyakova M. Interaction and Empathy as Elements of Narrative Strategies in the Russian CliPS Corpus, in: Компьютерная лингвистика и интеллектуальные технологии: По материалам ежегодной международной конференции «Диалог» (Москва, 31 мая — 3 июня 2017 г.) / Науч. ред.: В. Селегей. Т. 2: Компьютерная лингвистика: лингвистические исследования. Вып. 16. М. : Изд-во РГГУ, 2017. P. 55-67.
- Preprint Svetlana Yu. Toldova, Mira B. Bergelson, Elizaveta I. Ivtushok, Kira M. Shulgina, Mariya V. Khudyakova. Coreference annotation in the Russian clinical Pear Stories Corpus: annotation features and preliminary results / NRU HSE. Series WP BRP "Linguistics". 2016. No. 50.
- Chapter Toldova S. Yu., Bergelson M. B., Khudyakova M. V. Coreference in Russian Oral Movie Retellings (the Experience of Coreference Relations Annotation in “Russian CliPS ” corpus), in: Компьютерная лингвистика и интеллектуальные технологии: По материалам ежегодной международной конференции «Диалог» (Москва,1–4 июля 2016 г.) / Под общ. ред.: В. Селегей. Вып. 15. М. : Изд-во РГГУ, 2016. P. 769-782.
- Chapter Khudyakova M., Bergelson M., Akinina Y., Iskra E., Toldova S., Dragoy O. Russian CliPS: a Corpus of Narratives by Brain-Damaged Individuals, in: Proceedings of the Tenth conference on International Language Resources and Evaluation (LREC'16), Portoroz, Slovenia : ELRA, 2016.. , 2016. P. 22-26.
- Chapter Bergelson M., Harrigan M. M. Bringing Theory to Practice: Developing Facework Competence in Intercultural Collaboration, in: Globally Networked Teaching in the Humanities. NY : Routledge, 2015. P. 194-204.
- Chapter Khudyakova M., Bergelson M. Interpretation of “embarrassment” laughter in narratives by people with aphasia and non-language-impaired speakers, in: Proceedings of the 4th Interdisciplinary Workshop on Laughter and Other Non-verbal Vocalisations in Speech, 14-15 April 2015. , 2015. P. 45-46.
- Chapter Bergelson M., Akinina Y., Khudyakova M., Iskra E., Dragoy O. Pear Stories by Russian speakers with aphasia, in: CEUR Workshop Proceedings Vol. 1419: Proceedings of the EuroAsianPacific Joint Conference on Cognitive Science (EAPCogSci 2015), Torino, Italy, September 25-27, 2015. CEUR Workshop Proceedings, 2015. P. 15-15.
- Article Akinina Y., Bergelson M., Khudyakova M., Iskra E., Dragoy O. Verbs in aphasic discourse: data from the Russian Clinical Pear Stories Corpus // Stem-, Spraak- en Taalpathologie. 2015. Vol. 20. No. 1. P. 21-23.
- Chapter Bergelson M., Akinina Y., Shitova N., Khudyakova M., Melikyan Z., Dragoy O. Asymmetric brain damage effects on narrative production, in: Шестая международная конференция по когнитивной науке: Тезисы докладов. Калининград, 23–27 июня 2014 г. / Под общ. ред.: Б. Величковский, В. Рубцов, Д. Ушаков. Вып. 6. Калининград : [б.и.], 2014. P. 728-729.
- Chapter Bergelson M. Russian Cultural Values and Workplace Communication Patterns, in: Intercultural Communication: A Reader. Boston : Cengage Learning, 2014. Ch. 3. P. 133-141.
- Chapter Bergelson M., Kibrik A. A. Alaskan Russian: The story of the Ninilchik community as told by its language, in: Over the near horizon: Proceedings of the 2010 International Conference on Russian America (Sitka, Alaska, August 19--21, 2010). Sitka : Sitka Historical Society Sitka, 2013. P. 217-227.
- Chapter Bergelson M. Verbal Communication Functions in the Light of Technological Changes: Possible Consequences, in: Proceedings of the The XIV-th International Conference"Cognitive Modeling in Linguistics" (CML-2013). Ростов н/Д : Южный федеральный университет, 2013. P. 54-57.
- Book Bergelson M., Kibrik A. A., Leman W. Ninilchik Russian: Language of an Alaska Village / Prepublication of the Dictionary and Grammatical Description of the Ninilchik Russsian dialect. Raleigh : Lulu Press, 2012.
- Chapter Bergelson M. Russian Cultural Values and Workplace Communication Patterns, in: Intercultural Communication: A Reader. Independence : Cengage Learning, 2012. P. 189-198.
- Article Little C. B., Titarenko L., Bergelson M. The Role of Democratic Dialogue in Collaborative International Distance Education // The International Journal of Higher Education and Democracy. 2012. No. 3. P. 120-143.
- Chapter Bergelson M., Dragoy O., Iskra E., Mannova E., Skvortsov A., Statnikov A. What is normal when we are impaired: cognitive effects in processing space, in: Proceedings of the Fifth International Conference on Cognitive Science Vol. 1. Kaliningrad : , 2012. P. 26-27.
Selected publications and presentations (last 5 years)
- Mira Bergelson. Pragmatic and sociocultural motivations of linguistic form. Moscow: Universitietskaya kniga, 2007, 320 p.
- Mira Bergelson, Andrej Kibrik, Marina Raskladkina. Russian linguistic heritage of Alaska: in search of mother tongue. RHF Bulletin, 2013 №1 (70), 158-169.
- Mira Bergelson. Review of linguistic projects funded by the Russian Humanities Foundation in 2010-2011. Voprosy yazykoznaniya, 2012, № 1, 142-156.
- Mira Bergelson. Narrative structure through the prism of poetic discourse. Sandro Kodzasov’s Festschrift Phonetics and Non-phonetics. Moscow: Yazyki slavyanskikh kultur, 2008, 648-657.
- Mira Bergelson. Factor of Adressee(s) inthemass-media discourse. Abstracts of the 2nd International Conference Mass-media Language as the Object of Interdisciplinary research. Moscow: MSU Press, 2008.
- Mira Bergelson. Communication principles, language functions, and the addressee’s factor. Proceedings of the 4th international conference of the Russian Communication Association Communication and Modern Social and Humanities Scholarship. Moscow: MSU Press, 2008, 128-131.
- Mira Bergelson. «Да нет, пожалуй» - Contradiction as an Instrument of Interpersonal Harmony. Abstracts of the 3rd International Conference on Cognitive Science. Moscow: Tsentr isucheniya russkogo yazyka, 2008, 25-26.
- Mira Bergelson. Intercultural communication as interaction of cultural schemas. S.G. Ter-Minasova’s Festschrift Language, Culture, Communication. Moscow: Gnozis, 2008, 427-435.
- Bergelson, M.B., Dragoy, O.V., Mannova, E.M., Skvorzov, A.A., Statnikov, A.I., Iskra, E.V. (2009). Cognitive accessibility as a sentence accuracy criterion. Psycholinguistics in the XXI century: results, problems, perspectives. Moscow, 268-269.
- Dragoy, O.V., Bergelson, M.B., Skvorzov, A.A., Statnikov, A.I., Mannova, E.M., Iskra, E.V. (2009). Who is working if the gardener’s grandmother is sleeping: a test for diagnosing comprehension of logico-grammatical constructions. Proceedings of the International Scientific Conference “Physiology of human development”, Moscow, Russia, June 22-24, 36-37.
- M. B. Bergelson, A.E. Nekrasova. Linguistic analysis of stereotypes: In search of balance between the text and the meaning. Proceedings of the conference Computer Linguistics and Intellectual technologies. Moscow: RGGU Press, Vol 8 (15), 2010, 30-35.
- Mira Bergelson. Cross-cultural analysis of the Northern Athabasks’ narrative traditions. In Memoria of V. P. Nedyalkov. Issues in Grammar and Typology Moscow: Gnozis, 2010, 37-59.
- Dragoy, O.V., Bergelson, M.B., Akinina, Yu.S., & Shitova, N.M. (2010). Linguistic theory and data on language loss: analysis of aphasic narrative. Paper presented at the Conference “Theoretical and applied linguistics: ways of development. To the 100th anniversary of V.A. Zvegintsev”, Moscow,Russia, October 29-30.
- Statnikov, A., Dragoy, O.V., Bergelson, M., Iskra, E., Mannova, E., Skvortsov, A. (2011). Comprehension of logico-grammatical constructions in different aphasia types. Proceedings of the conference “Cognitive science in Moscow: new research”. Moscow, Bukivedi, 238-242.
- Verbal Communication Functions in the Light of Technological Changes: Possible Consequences. Proceedings of the The XIV-th International Conference"Cognitive Modeling in Linguistics" (CML-2013). Southern Federal University Press, Rostov-on-Don. 2013, 54-57.
- Mira B. Bergelson and Andrej A. Kibrik. Alaskan Russian: The Story of the Ninilchik Community as Told by its Language. Over the Near Horizon. Proceedings of the 2010 International Conference on Russian America. Sitka Historical Sociaty, 2013, 217-227.
- Little, Craig B., Titarenko, L., Bergelson, M. The Role of Democratic Dialogue in Collaborative International Distance Education. AUDEM: International Journal of Higher Education and Democracy, 2012, Vol.3, 120-143.
- Mira Bergelson, Andrej Kibrik, Wayne Leman. Ninilchik Russian: Language of an Alaska Village. Prepublication of a dictionary. Raleigh, NC, USA, 2012. 215 p.
- Mira Bergelson. Intercultural Communication Patterns of Russian America: Burden of Cultural Stereotypes. Proceedings of the 5-th International Conference on Russian America. Institute of Emigration of Aland Islands, Finland, August 2012.
- Bergelson, M.B., Dragoy, O.V., Iskra, E.V., Mannova, E.M., Skvortsov, A.A., Statnikov, A.I. What is normal when we are impaired: cognitive effects in processing space. Proceedings of the Firth International Conference on Cognitive Science. Kalinigrad State University Press, 2012, 26-27.
- Mira Bergelson. Russian Cultural Values and Workplace Communication Patterns. Intercultural Communication: A Reader. (Larry A. Samovar, Richard E. Porter, Edwin R. McDaniel, eds.) 13th edition, USA, 2012, 189-197.
- Mira Bergelson. Modern Russian public discourse: Do changes in information technology lead to new discourse strategies, or to new worldview? Proceedings of the conference Computer Linguistics and Intellectual technologies. Moscow: RGGU Press, Vol. 9 (16), 2011, 94-101.
- Bergelson, M., Dragoy, O., Iskra, E., Mannova, E., Skvortsov, A., & Statnikov, A. Compensating spatial impairments: spatial-dynamic stereotypes. Paper presented at the Night Whites Language Workshop, St. Petersburg, Russia, December 16-17, 2011.
- Mira Bergelson, Andrej Kibrik. The Ninilchik variety of Russian: Linguistic heritage of Alaska. Slavica Helsingiensia 40: Instrumentarium of Linguistics. Sociolinguistic Approaches to Non-Standard Russian, Helsinki 2010, p. 299-313.
- Mira Bergelson. How Much Culture we Need to Figure out Misunderstanding: Cognitive, Cultural and Interactional Aspects of Story Telling. Proceedings of the 9th Conference of the International Association for Intercultural Communication Studies, Guangzhou, China, June 17-21, 2010.
- Bergelson, M.B., Dragoy, O.V., Shklowsky, V.M. Telling a Story or Describing a Picture: Cognitive Differences and Similarities across Aphasic and Healthy Speakers. Proceedings of the Fourth International Conference on Cognitive Science. Vol. 1, Tomsk: Tomsk State University, 2010, p. 26-27.
- Bergelson M.B., Dragoy, O.V., Mannova, E.M., Skvorzov, A.A., Statnikov, A.I., Iskra, E.V . Is it easier to cover a scarf with a hat in Broca’s or Wernicke’s aphasia? Science of Aphasia XI-th Conference Abstracts. Potsdam, Germany, August 30-31, 2010.
- Mira Bergelson, Olga Dragoy. Inefficient Fluent and Efficient Non-fluent: A dissociation between micro- and macrostructure of aphasic discourse. Proceedings of the Science of Aphasia Xth Conference, Turkey, 2009.
- Dragoy, O.V., Bergelson M.B., Statnikov A.I., Skworzow A.A., Mannova E.M., Iskra E.V. Understanding logical-grammatical constructions: enhanced diagnostic test. Paper presented at the Joint Russian-Chinese Scientific Seminar. Methodology of psychophysiological research in Russia and China: theoretical and applied aspects, Moscow, Russia, December 7-11.Moscow: MSU Press. 2009, 37-39
Academic supervisor/consultant for the MA dissertation by Tiia-Lotta Pekkanen, exchange student in a double-degree MA programme by UCL and HSE
Mira Bergelson is an experienced professional in cross-cultural communication, corporate and professional discourse. She comes from academic environment, and during the ‘roaring 90-ies’ she pioneered the field developing new courses, designing and delivering professional development and cultural awareness workshops for managers and educators of new Russia.
Her professional experiences are very diverse but always focusing on effective communication, which is a key instrument of management, and on importance of cultural knowledge, which is in the heart of professional communication. Mira is a very culturally adaptable person. She has proven that having worked in such variety of settings as Russian academic institutions, American universities, a remote Siberian town, an Alaskan village, a US embassy, and the Kremlin press-office.
In her work as a cultural consultant for public organizations, state institutions and corporations Mira tackled cross-cultural communication from both ends as an educator and as a participant. She has taught Cross-cultural Management to the MBA students in Moscow-based American business school and Communication in Russian Professional Contexts to the international business students in Helsinki.
She has worked as a consultant for the US White House advance teams and for Russian Federation Presidential Executive Office.
Mira has been born and grew up in Moscow where she has always lived except for a few years of studies and research in the US and Germany. She considers herself bicultural and is fluent in Russian and English and speaks basic German and French. She has researched a variety of indigenous languages and cultures of Russia in the Caucasus, Eastern Siberia and Far East. She has a Ph.D. in Linguistics and Communication from the Russian Academy of Sciences. Her second doctoral dissertation was devoted to the sociocultural pragmatics of communication.
The first intake into this new Master’s programme will be in 2018 and its graduates will be able to work in the field of language policy. Denis Zubalov, Academic Supervisor of the programme 'Language Policy in the Context of Ethnocultural Diversity' told the HSE News Service all about what students will be studying, how urbanization is linked to language policy and what killer languages are.
On September 22 'Living and Working in Russia' workshop welcomed new international faculty members to HSE.
How Russians think bears little resemblance to Germans’ attention to detail or American cheerfulness. The difference can be explained, at least in part, by looking at linguistic peculiarities. A Massive Open Online Course (MOOC) launched by HSE called ‘Understanding Russians: Contexts of Intercultural Communication’ investigates cases when basic Russian cultural values show up through linguistic choices, which may influence the way people act. The nine-week course was first offered in 2014 and was tremendously successful. It will run for the second time starting October 12, 2015. Mira Bergelson, professor in the Faculty of Humanities at HSE and the author of the course, shared the core principles of making contact with people who don’t smile on the street but who may become your best friends after just a few meetings.
As part of the orientation events for international faculty members, the Office of Internationalization held an interactive workshop on Living and Working in Moscow led by Mira Bergelson, Professor in the Faculty of Humanities.
The start of an academic year is always characterized by a new and expanded team of faculty and students ‘on board’ the HSE. In 2015 over 40 new international faculty members have joined HSE and are ready for a new voyage of discovery. Their stay at the university traditionally begins with a number of seminars, meetings and other events which come under the Orientations session, organized by the International Faculty Support Unit.
A professor from the School of Philology took part in the ‘Diversity Linguistics: Retrospect and Prospect’ conference, which took place in Leipzig from May 1st – 3rd, 2015.
The 11 educational courses completed in the first year of HSE's cooperation with Coursera won an audienec of 300,000. The courses' lecturers talked about how they succeeded in doing this at a round table at HSE.
On December 5,the Coursera: First Results roundtable will be held. Coursera, an international online educational platform, has been used for 12 HSE courses. This first cycle of courses has come to a close, with more than 340,000 students from around the world having signed up for HSE courses so far. Another 10 courses are currently open for registration.