- Lecturer, Doctoral Student:Faculty of Social Sciences / School of Politics and Governance
- Research Assistant:Institute for Industrial and Market Studies / International Center for the Study of Institutions and Development
- Patrick Sawyer has been at HSE University since 2019.
Bachelor's in Global Politics
Longwood University, Political Science
Masters: Politics, Economics, Philosophy
Higher School of Economics, Moscow, Russia (September 2018 - June 2020)
Doctorate: Political Science
Higher School of Economics, Moscow, Russia (November 2020 - Present)
Continuing education / Professional retraining / Internships / Study abroad experience
- Conflict Crash Course, Armed Conflict Location and Event Data Project (ACLED), Online (16 - 20 August 2021)
- IPSA – HSE Summer School for Methods of Political & Social Research, Higher School of Economics, Saint Petersburg, (9-22 August 2021). Experimental Research in the Social Sciences.
- Summer School in Experimental Methods & Simulations in Social and Cognitive Sciences (EMS-SCS 2021), Higher School of Economics, Saint Petersburg (July 13–22, 2021)
- European Consortium for Political Research (ECPR) Methods Summer School, Central European University (July 27-August 14, 2020). Critical Discourse Analysis Instructor: Michał Krzyżanowski
- European Union Law and Governance in Populist Times, University of Central Lancashire (September 18-19, 2020). Erasmus + Program of the European Union.
- BKC International House, Moscow, Russia (August 2016) - Cambridge CELTA Program (Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages)
Awards and Accomplishments
- 2nd Place in the 2020 NIRS Student Research Competition in the Political Science Category. Winner of 50,000 ruble award.
- Member of the Honors Society "Republic of Scientists"
1st year of study
Approved topic of thesis: Conspiricism as a Component of Elite-Popular Linkages in Populist Movements
Academic Supervisor: Маркес Второй Израэл
Papers in Review
Sawyer, P., and A. Moore. (2020). How Populist is the Sanders Electorate? (Accepted - Interdisciplinary Journal of Populism)
Sawyer, P., D. Romanov, A. Korotayev (2020). Urbanization, the Youth, and Protest: A Quantitative Analysis.
Sawyer, P. (2020). Populism, Conspiracy Theories, and Political Preferences for Federal Offices in the US. (In review - Nations and Nationalism)
Populism and COVID-19 (with D. Rosenberg, T. Naushirvanov, and D. Seyis) (accepted for presentation at the ECPR General Conference, MPSA Annual Conference).
Papers in Progress
The Missionary Politics of Donald Trump (Accepted for presentation at the Second Helsinki Conference on Emotions, Populism, and Polarisation)
Populism and Conspiracy Theories in Eastern Europe: A Cross-National Analysis
Conspiracy Theories as a Component of Populist Rhetoric
Conspiracy Theories and Support for Populist Leaders
- Article Sawyer P. Conspiracism in Populist Radical Right Candidates: Rallying the Base or Mainstreaming the Fringe? // International Journal of Politics, Culture and Society. 2021. P. 1-36. doi
- Article Sawyer P., Korotayev A. Formal Education and Contentious Politics: The Case of Violent and Non-Violent Protest // Political Studies Review. 2021. Vol. 1. No. 1. P. 1-24. doi
- Article Sawyer P. PAOLO COSSARINI AND FERNANDO VALLESPÍN (EDS.) POPULISM AND PASSIONS, DEMOCRATIC LEGITIMACY AFTER AUSTERITY ROUTLEDGE, 2019. 196 PP. £34.99. ISBN 9780815383796 // e-Extreme. 2021. Vol. 22. No. 2. P. 11-14.
- Preprint Sawyer P. POPULISM AND PROTEST INTENSITY: A CROSS-NATIONAL ANALYSIS / National Research University Higher School of Economics. Series WP BRP "Basic research program". 2021. No. 80.
- Article Sawyer P. Book Review: Cas Mudde, The Far Right Today // Interface: a journal for and about social movements. 2020. Vol. 12. No. 1. P. 677-679.
- Article Sawyer P. Populism, Conspiracy Theories, and Political Preferences for Federal Office in the US // Master's Thesis: Higher School of Economics. 2020
- Article Sawyer P. Populist Conspiracy Theories and Candidate Preference in the U.S. // Acta Politologica. 2020. Vol. 12. No. 3. P. 1-26. doi
- Chapter Медведев И. А., Сойер П. С., Коротаев А. В. К применению методов машинного обучения для ранжирования факторов дестабилизации // В кн.: Системный мониторинг глобальных и региональных рисков / Отв. ред.: Л. Е. Гринин, А. В. Коротаев, Д. А. Быканова. Вып. 11. Издательство "Учитель", 2020. С. 400-434. (in press)
- Article Singh A., Sawyer P. Bangladeshi News Coverage of the Indian General Elections 2019 // Asian Politics and Policy. 2019. Vol. 11. No. 4. P. 696-701. doi
- Article Sawyer P., Finiarel A. Book review: Olga Baysha, Miscommunicating Social Change // Interface: a journal for and about social movements. 2019. Vol. 11. No. 2. P. 114-119.
- Article Sawyer P. Cooperative Enterprises in Cuba: Institutional Forms and Development Trends // Research Paper: Higher School of Economics. 2019
2021. Conspiricism as a Component of Elite-Popular Linkages in Populist Movements (21-011-32156). Russian Foundation for Basic Research. (Team Leader)
2021. HSE Faculty of Social Sciences Grant: “Разновидности популизма: индикаторы популистской поддержки в России” (Team Leader)
2021. ICSID Grant: "Populism and the Politics of Exclusion: Evidence from Public Opinion"
Higher School of Economics, Moscow, Ru (November 2020 - April 2020)
-Invited Lecturer (Modern Political Science)
Laboratory of Monitoring the Risks of Sociopolitical Destabilization, Higher School of Economics, Moscow, Ru (April 2019 - Present)
Higher School of Economics, Moscow, Ru (November 2019 - April 2020)
-Teacher’s Assistant (Modern Political Science)
Institute for Industrial and Market Studies, Higher School of Economics, Moscow, Ru (August 2019 - May 2020)