- Associate Professor:Institute of Education / Department of Educational Programmes
- Dmitry Abbakumov has been at HSE University since 2011.
Education and Degrees
PhD in Educational Sciences
Thesis Title: Psychometrics of MOOCs: How to Measure Proficiency?
MSc in Psychological Sciences
Thesis Title: Possible applications of IRT for developing adaptive e-Learning systems
Master's in Psychology
Degree in Chemical Technology of Natural Energy Resources and Carbon Materials
North-Caucasian State Technical University
Young Faculty Support Program (Group of Young Academic Professionals)
Category "New Researchers" (2013-2014)
- Leaning and Psychometrical Analytics in Online-Courses (Master’s programme; Institute of Education; 1 year, 3, 4 module)Rus
Student Term / Thesis Papers
Selected International Talks
- Educational measurement for EdTech: What we need for evidence-based pedagogy? eLearning Stakeholders and Researchers Summit by HSE University and Coursera, Virtual, 2020
- Ensuring the validity of data and the validity of predictions in digital learning. Times Higher Education Virtual Digital Transformation Forum, Virtual, 2020
- Combining explanatory IRT and psychological networks for understanding and modeling online learners’ difficulties. International Meeting of the Psychometric Society, Virtual, 2020
- Measuring student’s activity in MOOCs using extensions of the Rasch model. International Meeting of the Psychometric Society, Santiago, Chile, 2019
- Learners’ activity in MOOCs from a psychometric perspective. Coursera Partners Conference, London, the UK, 2019
- Measuring student’s proficiency in MOOCs: Multiple attempts extensions for the Rasch model. International Meeting of the Psychometric Society, New York, USA, 2018
- Measuring student’s proficiency in MOOCs: Multiple attempts IRT extensions. Coursera Partners Conference, Tempe, USA, 2018
- Measuring the impact of video lectures on learner’s productivity. Coursera Partners Conference, Boulder, USA, 2017
- Interest and interestingness: The new perspective on students and content. Coursera Partners Conference, the Hague, the Netherlands, 2016
- Psychometrics of MOOCs: The basics. EduLab, Rome, Italy, 2016
- Computerized adaptive testing algorithm for summative assessment. Computerized Adaptive Testing Summit, Princeton, USA, 2014
- Article Abbakumov D., Desmet P., Van den Noortgate W. Psychometrics of MOOCs: Measuring Learners’ Proficiency // Psychologica Belgica. 2020. Vol. 60. No. 1. P. 115-131. doi
- Article Abbakumov D., Desmet P., Van den Noortgate W. Rasch model extensions for enhanced formative assessments in MOOCs // Applied Measurement in Education. 2020. Vol. 33. No. 2. P. 113-123. doi
- Article Abbakumov D., Desmet P., Van den Noortgate W. Measuring growth in students’ proficiency in MOOCs: Two component dynamic extensions for the Rasch model // Behavior Research Methods. 2019. Vol. 51. No. 1. P. 332-341. doi
- Article Abbakumov D., Desmet P., Van den Noortgate W. Measuring student’s proficiency in MOOCs: Multiple attempts extensions for the Rasch model // Heliyon. 2018. Vol. 4. No. 12. P. 1-15. doi
- Article Аббакумов Д. Ф., Лебедева М. Ю. Лексико-грамматический распределительный тест по РКИ: опыт создания, апробации и психометрического анализа // Русский язык за рубежом. 2016. № 5. С. 73-78.
- Article Аббакумов Д. Ф. Сравнительный анализ эффективности числового и вербального тестов при прогнозировании результатов работы сотрудников // Организационная психология. 2011. Т. 1. № 2. С. 92-99.
Dmitry Abbakumov: Data from Online Educational Platforms Can Be Useful Both for Students and Teachers
On the one hand, the transition to online learning has brought new opportunities. On the other, it has raised several critical questions that are essential for evidence-based education. The pandemic has only made these issues all the more acute. The problems of online education were discussed at the recent eSTARS conference, which was organized by HSE University together with Coursera. Dmitry Abbakumov, Head of the HSE Centre for Computational Educational Sciences, shared his perspective on the matter.
During this summer’s exams, HSE School of Foreign Languages and the Centre for Computational Educational Sciences launched a pilot project for the automated checking of student exams. Ekaterina Kolesnikova, Head of the School of Foreign Languages, Dmitry Abbakumov, Head of the Centre for Computational Educational Sciences, and Daria Kravchenko, Deputy Head of the centre, spoke about the project and its future prospects.
HSE researchers have developed a model that will improve the quality of online courses. Dmitry Abbakumov, Head of the Centre for Computational Educational Sciences at the HSE eLearning Office, shared the news at the annual International Meeting of the Psychometric Society 2020.
The journal "Psychologica Belgica" published an article by Dmitry Abbakumov co-authored with Piet Desmet and Wim van den Noortgate
Dmitry Abbakumov's article «Rasch Model Extensions for Enhanced Formative Assessments in MOOCs» was published
The journal "Applied Measurement in Education" published an article by Dmitry Abbakumov co-authored with Piet Desmet and Wim van den Noortgate
Digitalization Helps Universities Expand Their Horizons and Improve the Quality of Education: Results of eSTARS-2018
Large online courses will become even more in-demand since the quality and accessibility of education is rising. They will not, however, replace traditional in-person interactions between student and teacher. By relying effectively on digital technologies, universities can ensure a new level of education quality, which, in turn, can meet the challenges of today’s economy. Discussions of online education, at its current stage of development, should be focused not so much on technological solutions, but rather on ecosystems, which encompass students, universities, corporations, states and tech firms, where related human experiences and meanings are of extreme importance. This was the conclusion of participants in the eSTARS 2018 international academic conference on the present and future of online education. HSE and the online learning platform Coursera teamed up to host the event in Moscow on December 5-6.
Dmitry Abbakumov is the first researcher from a Russian university to present their work at the Psychometric Society conference, founded in 1935. He told the HSE new service about his study of online learning and why Russia has not played a major role on the international psychometrics scene – until now.
Research Fellow at the HSE’s Center of Education Quality Monitoring Dmitry Abbakumov, author of the ‘Theory and practice of computerized testing’ lecture course and developer of the ‘Adaptivity Guide’ software which makes it possible to adapt e-courses to students’ abilities. He recently gave a presentation about his research at The 2014 Computerized Adaptive Testing Summit at Princeton and at Edcrunch in Moscow. In his interview, he talks about why adaptive education is the future and how it is developing at HSE.