- Alexey Alyushin has been at HSE since 2008.
Education and Degrees
Candidate of Sciences* (PhD) in History of Philosophy
Institute of Philosophy of the Russian Academy of Sciences
Lomonosov Moscow State University
According to the International Standard Classification of Education (ISCED) 2011, Candidate of Sciences belongs to ISCED level 8 - "doctoral or equivalent", together with PhD, DPhil, D.Lit, D.Sc, LL.D, Doctorate or similar. Candidate of Sciences allows its holders to reach the level of the Associate Professor.
- Philosophy (Bachelor’s programme; Faculty of Social Sciences; programme "Public Administration"; 1 year, 3, 4 module)Rus
- Philosophy (Bachelor’s programme; Faculty of Law; programme "Private Law", "Jurisprudence"; 1 year, 1, 2 module)Rus
- Philosophy (Bachelor’s programme; Faculty of Communications, Media, and Design; programme "Media Communications"; 1 year, 1, 2 module)Rus
- Article Alyushin A., Knyazeva H. Realism Versus Constructivism in Their Competition for Dominance in Politics: The Case of Russia // Axiomathes. 2018. Vol. 28. No. 3. P. 345-361. doi
- Article Alyushin A. Acting Contrary to Rationality and Instincts: the Inherent Similarity of Dostoevsky’s “Self-will” and Max Scheler’s “Spirit” // Journal of Comparative Literature and Aesthetics. 2016. Vol. 39. No. 1-2. P. 19-32.
- Article Alyushin A. Self-Sacrificial Behavior and its Explanation in Terms of Max Scheler’s Concept of Spirit // Integrative Psychological and Behavioral Science. 2014. Vol. 48. No. 4 (December). P. 503-523. doi
- Article Alyushin A. Depth as an Extra Spatial Dimension and its Implications for Cosmology and Gravity Theory // Axiomathes. 2012. Vol. 22. No. 4. P. 469-507. doi
- Article Alyushin A. Psychedelic Experience as a Heuristic Tool for Exploring the Mind and the Brain // NeuroQuantology. 2011. Vol. 9. No. 3. P. 577-590.
- Article Alyushin A. Time Scales of Observation and Ontological Levels of Reality // Axiomathes. 2010. Vol. 20. No. 4. P. 439-460. doi
- Article Alyushin A. Breach of legal continuity: Russia in the 20th century / Пер. с рус. // Social Sciences. 2006. No. 1. P. 60-69.
- Chapter Alyushin A. Observing Reality on Different Time Scales, in: Endophysics, Time, Quantum and the Subjective. Proceedings of the ZiF Interdisciplinary Research Workshop, Bielefeld, Germany 17 – 22 January 2005.. L., Singapore : World Scientific, 2005. P. 441-462.
- Article Alyushin A. Political Consequences of Parliamentary Rules: Russia // East European Constitutional Review. 1995. Vol. 1. No. 2. P. 61-66.
- Article Alyushin A. The Paternalistic Tradition and Russia's Transition to Liberal Democracy // Democratic Institutions. 1992. No. 1. P. 1-20.
I was originally educated in law and have earned my Ph.D. in political philosophy. I spent nearly ten years completing practical work in several government institutions in Russia as a legal adviser. Since then, I have moved back to academia and have shifted my focus to issues of the mind and cognition, with a special interest in topics where philosophy meets science. In coming years, I hope to revisit and elaborate upon some of my older ideas in political philosophy, with no lessening interest in the mind and cognition.
Fields of research interest
(With respective publications)
Updated April 2017
Philosophy of Mind
My current personal project until ~ 2017 within the Philosophy of Mind field is called 'The Nature and Phenomenology of Human Spirit'. It is devoted to exploration of the essence, genealogy, and phenomenology of human spirit as a mental entity prone to withstand the demands of biological self-preservation and egocentrism.
There are three articles published already in realization of the project 'The Nature of the Human Spirit':
• Alyushin A. Acting Contrary to Rationality and Instincts: the Inherent Similarity of Dostoevsky’s “Self-will” and Max Scheler’s “Spirit” // Journal of Comparative Literature and Aesthetics. 2016. Vol. 39. No. 1-2. P. 19-32
• Alyushin A. Self-Sacrificial Behavior and its Explanation in Terms of Max Scheler’s Concept of Spirit. Integrative Psychological and Behavioral Science. 2014. Vol. 48. No. 4 (December). P. 503-523. DOI 10.1007/s12124-014-9272-4
• Alyushin A. Psychedelic Experience as a Heuristic Tool for Exploring the Mind and the Brain. NeuroQuantology: An Interdisciplinary journal of Neuroscience and Quantum Physics. 2011. Vol. 9. No. 3 (September). P. 577-590. Free full text: https://www.hse.ru/data/2011/10/29/1269659102/Alyushin%20A.%20Psychedelic%20Experience%20as%20Heuristic%20Tool.%20NeuroQuant.%209-3-2011.pdf Free abstract and full text with paid access: http://www.neuroquantology.com/index.php/journal/article/view/419
• The fourth article is submitted to a peer-review journal and is entitled: 'Alyushin A. Spirit rather than Consciousness is the Generic Feature of a Human - the Position of Max Scheler'.
Time and Space
(With implications for their perception and cognition)
Topics within this field include time perception, perceptive time distortion, subjective time vs. physical time, the multilevel space-time manifold and the hypothetical observer’s viewpoint shifting between levels, the variable quantum grain of time-space discernibility, Lebenswelten in the Üexküll’s sense, cognitive construction of reality, and a separate topic of a hypothetical extra spatial dimension of depth and its relation to cosmological issues. My research within the Time and Space field has been under way since ~ 2002 and was completed in 2012.
Main works published:
Alyushin A. Depth as an Extra Spatial Dimension and its Implications for Cosmology and Gravity Theory. Axiomathes : Where Science Meets Philosophy. 2012. Vol. 22. No. 4. P. 469-507. Free abstract and full text with paid access: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10516-011-9178-4 or: http://www.springerlink.com/content/6238635141h1t442/
Alyushin A. Time Scales of Observation and Ontological Levels of Reality. Axiomathes : Where Science Meets Philosophy. 2010. Vol. 20. No. 4. P. 439-460. Free abstract and full text with paid access: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10516-010-9099-7 or: http://www.springerlink.com/content/u1602138458r5561/
Alyushin A. Temporal Worlds: Speed of Perception and the Scales of Time. Second edition. Moscow: URSS, 2012. ISBN: 978-5-382-01383-1. (2008 - First edition). Book coauthored with H. Knyazeva, in Russian, title translated from the Russian original. Book description at the publisher: http://urss.ru/cgi-bin/db.pl?lang=en&blang=ru&page=Book&id=164222
Alyushin A. Observing Reality on Different Time Scales. Endophysics, Time, Quantum and the Subjective. R. Buccheri, A. C. Elitzur, M. Saniga eds. Proceedings of the ZiF Interdisciplinary Research Workshop, Bielefeld, Germany 17 – 22 January 2005. ISBN: 978-981-256-509-9; 978-981-270-159-6(ebook). World Scientific: New Jersey, London, Singapore etc. 2005. P. 441-462. Full text of the book: https://www.hse.ru/data/2010/10/31/1223461093/endophysics.pdf General book contents on the publisher’s website: http://www.worldscibooks.com/physics/5947.html The chapter summary: http://dx.doi.org/10.1142/9789812701596_0024
Aljuschin A. (als ‘Turobov’), Knyazeva H. Mikrospalten der Zeit. Physik und Psychologie der Wahrnehmung innerhalb anderer Zeitparameter. Raum und Zeit. 2003. No. 126. S.44-53. Free full text: Part 1: https://www.hse.ru/data/2010/10/28/1223650935/RZEIT1.PDF Part 2: https://www.hse.ru/data/2010/10/28/1223650933/RZEIT2.PDF Part 3: https://www.hse.ru/data/2010/10/28/1223650939/RZEIT3.PDF Part 4: https://www.hse.ru/data/2010/10/28/1223650937/RZEIT4.PDF Part 5: https://www.hse.ru/data/2010/10/28/1223650943/RZEIT5.PDF Journal paid access: http://www.raum-und-zeit.com/raum-zeit/archiv/2003/ausgabe-126/mikrospalten-der-zeit.html
Attended conferences with published abstracts:
Alyushin A. Biological Species as Individuals and the Origins of Ethics. Eighth International Conference on New Directions in the Humanities, University of California, Los-Angeles, USA, 29 June–2 July 2010, Stream: Philosophy, Ethics, Consciousness. To view the abstract on the conference website, insert ‘Alyushin’ in the author search field at: http://2010.thehumanities.com/sessions/index.html or see: https://www.hse.ru/data/2011/10/29/1269657064/Alyushin.%20%28SU-HSE%29%20Accepted%20Oral%20Presentation.%20US,%20LA%20%20July%202010.htm
Alyushin A. Accelerated Cognition under Drugs and Stress: Two Models for Explanation. Towards a Science of Consciousness. Budapest, Hungary, 23-26 July, 2007. Conference Abstracts. P. 14. Abstract on the conference website: http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.108.409&rep=rep1&type=pdf or: https://www.hse.ru/data/2010/10/28/1223650091/TSC2007abstracts.pdf
Alyushin A. Moiré Wave Patterns as the Own Language of the Brain. Quantum Mind 2007. Salzburg, Austria, 17-20 July, 2007. Conference Abstracts. Service of the Journal of Consciousness Studies. P. 25-26. Abstract on the conference website: http://www.sbg.ac.at/brain2007/abstracts/concurrents.htm or: https://www.hse.ru/data/2010/10/28/1223649467/Alyushin.%20Salzburg-07.doc
Alyushin A. Biological Species as Autonomous Subjects of Cognition and their Communication with Individuals. Philosophy, Psychiatry and the Neurosciences. Ninth International Conference on Philosophy, Psychiatry and Psychology. 28 June – 1 July, 2006, Leiden, The Netherlands. The Book of Abstracts. 2006. P. 47. Abstract: https://www.hse.ru/data/2010/10/28/1223649740/Psychiatry%20Conference%20Leiden.Alyushin-06.pdf
Alyushin A. Hypothetical Subjects of Perception in Extended Time Scales. Interdisciplinary Research Workshop “Endophysics, Time, Quantum, and the Subjective”. ZiF Universität Bielefeld, Germany, January 17-22, 2005. Book of Abstracts. 2005.P. 2. Abstract on the conference website: http://www.astro.sk/~msaniga/ZiF_05/ZiF_abstracts.pdf or: https://www.hse.ru/data/2010/10/31/1223461607/ZiF_abstracts.pdf
There are two personal research projects from ~ 2017 until -- within the Political Philosophy field:
1) The liberalism vs. statism controversy: what is ontologically prior - man or the state?
In realization of the project, the article is published already under the title 'Liberalism? Forget it' in Axiomathes Online First, 1 Nov - 2016.
2) The collective responsibility of governments and the peoples for wrongdoings of past generations.
The article on the topic is under preparation.
Some of my earlier works having reference to the Political Philosophy field are:
Alyushin A. Jean Bodin: Natural Paternal Power as a Prototype of the Sovereign Monarchical Power. Paper presented at the 43rd International Congress on Medieval Studies, 8-11 May 2008, Western Michigan University, Kalamazoo, MI, USA, Session 109 ‘The Medieval Tradition of Natural Law II’. P. 34.
Alyushin A. Breach of Legal Continuity: Russia in the 20th century. Social Sciences. 2006. No 1. P. 60-69. Full text: https://www.hse.ru/data/2010/10/30/1216658128/Alyushin.%20Breach%20of%20Legal%20Continuity.%20Social%20Sciences.%201-2006.htm
Alyushin A. Political Consequences of Parliamentary Rules: Russia. East European Constitutional Review. 1995. Vol. 4. No. 2. P. 61-66. Full text: https://www.hse.ru/data/2010/11/11/1223651280/Alyushin.%20Parliament.%20East%20European%20Const%20Review%201995.pdf
Alyushin A. The Paternalistic Tradition and Russia's Transition to Liberal Democracy. Democratic Institutions. Published annually by the Carnegie Council on Ethics and International Affairs. N.-Y. 1992. Vol. 1. P. 1-20. Full text: https://www.hse.ru/data/2012/08/21/1223651216/Alyushin%20A.%20Paternalistic%20Tradition%20in%20Russia.%20Dem.%20Institutions%201-1992.pdf