- Vice Rector
- Leading Research Fellow:Institute of Education
- Igor Chirikov has been at HSE since 2008.
Igor Chirikov supervises HSE’s activities related to:
- Academic and extracurricular work with students
- Coordinating interaction with student self-governing organizations and the Student Rights Commissioner
- Interaction with graduates
- Improving the teaching quality
Igor Chirikov is responsible for coordinating:
- Student Research Paper Competition
- Student associations, clubs and studios (research, creative, volunteer, cultural, entertainment, and sports)
- Student involvement in research taking place at research and study labs, project and study labs, and other HSE departments
- HSE internship programmes
- Activities aimed at creating a welcoming environment for students, including psychological counselling services
- Developing HSE’s relations with alumni and their involvement in the university’s development
- Activities aimed at increasing the quality of teaching at HSE
- Best Teacher competition
- Internal university research and monitoring studies aimed at providing analytical support for the university’s development.
Igor Chirikov also coordinates the activities performed by Tatyana Dubova, Director for Student and Alumni Affairs.
Finally, he coordinates the activities of the following departments:
Education and Degrees
Candidate of Sciences* (PhD) in Theory, History and Methods of Sociology
Higher School of Economics
Master in Sociology
Higher School of Economics
University of Manchester
Moscow Higher School of Social and Economic Sciences
Bachelor in Economic Sociology
Higher School of Economics
According to the International Standard Classification of Education (ISCED) 2011, Candidate of Sciences belongs to ISCED level 8 - "doctoral or equivalent", together with PhD, DPhil, D.Lit, D.Sc, LL.D, Doctorate or similar. Candidate of Sciences allows its holders to reach the level of the Associate Professor.
Awards and Accomplishments
Young Faculty Support Program (Group of Young Academic Professionals)
Category "Future Lecturers" (2009-2010)
Dissertation for a degree of Candidate of Science
- Article Kardanova E., Loyalka P., Chirikov I., Liu L., Li G., Wang H., Enchikova E., Shi H., Johnson N. Developing instruments to assess and compare the quality of engineering education: the case of China and Russia // Assessment & Evaluation in Higher Education. 2016. Vol. 41. No. 5. P. 770-786. doi
- Article Chirikov I. Do Russian research universities have a secret mission? A response to Forrat // Post-Soviet Affairs. 2016. Vol. 32. No. 4. P. 338-344. doi
- Preprint Chirikov I. How Global Competition is Changing Universities: Three Theoretical Perspectives / UC Berkeley. Series ROPS "Research & Occasional Paper Series: CSHE". 2016. No. 5.16.
- Preprint Рудаков В. Н., Чириков И. С., Рощин С. Ю., Дрожжина Д. С. Учись, студент? Влияние успеваемости в вузе на заработную плату выпускников. / НИУ ВШЭ. Серия WP15 "Научные труды Лаборатории исследований рынка труда". 2016. № 1.
- Chapter Klemenčič M., Chirikov I. How Do We Know How Students Experience Higher Education? On the Use of Student Surveys, in: The European Higher Education Area: Between Critical Reflections and Future Policies / Ed. by A. Curaj, L. Matei, R. Pricopie, J. Salmi, P. Scott. Springer, 2015.
- Article Chirikov I. The Mystery of Russian Students: Poor Learning Experience, High Satisfaction // Higher Education in Russia and Beyond. 2015. No. 3. P. 10-11.
- Article Чириков И. С. «Поздравляем! Вы стали счастливым обладателем университета» Рецензия на книгу Генри Розовски "Университет. Руководство для владельца" // Вопросы образования. 2015. № 2. С. 289-301.
- Article Chirikov I., Gruzdev I. Back in the USSR: path dependence effects in student representation in Russia // Studies in Higher Education. 2014. Vol. 39. No. 3. P. 455-469. doi
- Article Chirikov I. Research Universities as Knowledge Networks: the Role of Institutional Research // Studies in Higher Education. 2013. Vol. 38. No. 3. P. 456-469. doi
- Article Чириков И. С. Сравнительные институциональные исследования: задачи, организационные модели, методические особенности реализации // Universitas. 2013. Т. 1. № 3. С. 20-32.
- Article Чириков И. С. Четыре способа определения организационных границ в социологии // Экономическая социология. 2012. Т. 13. № 5. С. 129-145.
- Article Мейер Дж., Роуэн Б. Институционализированные организации: формальная структура как миф и церемониал (перевод) / Пер. с англ.: И. С. Чириков // Экономическая социология. 2011. Т. 12. № 1. С. 43-67.
- Article Chirikov I. Divided We Fall: Collaboration Strategies // International Higher Education. 2010. No. 58 (Winter)
- Article Чириков И. С. Жизнь организации «с точки зрения действующего»: перспектива теории договорного порядка // Журнал социологии и социальной антропологии. 2010. Т. 13. № 4. С. 158-173.
- Article Чириков И. С. Зачем университетам академическое развитие: опыт зарубежных вузов // Университетское управление: практика и анализ. 2010. № 5. С. 15-23.
- Article Чириков И. С. Реализация программ развития и изменения в ГУ-ВШЭ: точка зрения преподавателей // Мониторинг университета. 2010. № 3. С. 35-42.
- Preprint Чириков И. С. Метафора «договорного порядка» как исследовательская перспектива в социологии организаций / Высшая школа экономики. Серия WP4 "Социология рынков". 2009.
- Article Чириков И. С. Рецепция новых форм организации учебного процесса: динамика отношения студентов и преподавателей с 2003 по 2008 год // Мониторинг университета. 2009. № 1. С. 17-24.
- Article Чириков И. С. Роль внутриорганизационных процессов и структур в формировании неравенства людей по доходам // Экономическая социология. 2008. Т. 9. № 3. С. 76-87.
- Book Российская социология завтрашнего дня: Сборник студенческих работ (Вып.3) / Под общ. ред.: Г. В. Иванченко, И. С. Чириков. Вып. 3. М. : Издательский дом ГУ-ВШЭ, 2008.
- Article Радаев В. В., Чириков И. С. Отношение студентов и преподавателей к наказаниям за плагиат и списывание // Университетское управление: практика и анализ. 2006. № 4. С. 77-82.
Editorial board membership
2014: Member of the Editorial Board, Higher Education in Russia and Beyond.
University of California, Berkeley, USA
Managing Director of the “Student Experience in the Research University” — International Consortium, Research Associate at the Center for Studies in Higher Education (06.2014-present)
HSE University Moscow, Russia
Senior Research Fellow at the Institute of Education (09.2013-present)
Deputy First Vice-Rector (04.2013-07.2014)
Founding Director of Institutional Research Office (05.2010-03.2013)
Junior Researcher at the Laboratory for Studies in Economic Sociology (02.2008-04.2010)
This year students from other Russian and international universities competed against HSE students. The new HSE project ‘Scientific Battles’ was also announced at the award ceremony.
On January 27, 2017, the HSE Academic Council approved a document regulating support for HSE student organizations at its Moscow campus.
On December 7, at a meeting of the International Advisory Committee, HSE Rector Yaroslav Kuzminov discussed the changes underway at the university and explained how the Higher School of Economics is working towards true international competitiveness as part of the 5-100 Project.
Following the project public defense held on November 7th-8th, 2016, the winners of the Student Research Competition have been announced. This year 84 entries were submitted to the competition, and 34 participants were invited to defend their projects before the Fund Council.
The Vice Rector position will be taken up by Igor Chirikov (who is also Director of the Centre for Sociology in Higher Education at the Institute of Education). Igor Chirikov spoke with the HSE news service about his main tasks in this new role.
Last year a new system of teaching quality assessment was introduced at HSE. It allows bachelor’s, master’s and specialist students to express their opinion on the teaching process*. This year the first wave of TQA will last till October 23.
The Annual Conference of the Consortium of Higher Education Researchers, CHER, is a key event in higher education research in Europe. Traditionally, CHER has attracted the best researchers and experts with a unique opportunity to learn about cutting-edge studies in the field, as well as to present their own research to the global community. This year’s conference took place from September 4 to 7, 2016, in Cambridge, England. A group of staff from the HSE Institute of Education took part in the event, including Isak Froumin, Igor Chirikov, Mikhail Lisyutkin, Dmitry Semyonov, Daria Platonova, Ksenia Romanenko, and Tatiana Semenova.
A group of HSE staff has launched a Kickstarter account to raise funds for an unusual project – a monument to an anonymous peer reviewer. If enough money is raised, the monument will be erected near the HSE Institute of Education.
In April 2016 HSE Academic Council approved the new regulations for awarding performance bonuses to faculty members who are selected by students and alumni as the best teachers of the year. University bulletin 'Okna Rosta' prepared a long-read about the history of the project and the changes in how the best teachers are selected, and The HSE Look is glad to offer the English version to its readers.
The HSE Institute of Education and the University of California – Berkeley (USA) have signed a memorandum to jointly administer an international Student Experience in the Research University (SERU) Consortium until 2020. The memorandum calls for the two universities to implement a major four-year project on higher education studies involving over 30 universities from various countries.
The article ‘Developing instruments to assess and compare the quality of engineering education: the case of China and Russia’ by the group of IOE staff members (Elena Kardanova, Prashant Loyalka, Igor Chirikov, Ekaterina ENchikova) was published on the online platform of the journal ‘Assessment & Evaluation in Higher Education’ issued by Taylor & Francis.
The international symposium, held by SERU (Student Experience in the Research University) International Consortium on January 18, was sponsored by the University of California, Berkeley, the HSE Institute of Education, and Tongji University, which hosted the event. SERU-International Managing Director and IoE leading researcher Igor Chirikov took part in the event, which united over 50 representatives of universities in China, Japan, Taiwan, Malaysia, Russia and the United States.
On 4th - 7th November the annual conference of the Association for the Study of Higher Education, ASHE took place in Denver, Colorado. Incorporated in 1976 ASHE is the oldest professional association in higher education studies and has more than 2,000 members, mostly Americans.
On the 11th March 2015, Senior Research Fellow at the HSE Institute of Education Igor Chirikov was a guest lecturer at Harvard University. The lecture was part of the Student Experience in a Global Perspective course at the Faculty of Sociology and covered the methodology and results of research into student experience.
In an interview for CIRGE Washington University on the ongoing reforms and pending challenges in Russian doctoral education, Senior Research Fellow at HSE’s Institute for Higher Education, Igor Chirikov explains the peculiar economic, social and bureaucratic problems and academic traditions that are hampering the careers of Russian academics but he also gives reasons to be optimistic about change for the future.
Igor Chirikov, Research Fellow at the HSE Institute of Education, who has been appointed director of the Student Experience in the Research University International (SERU-I) Consortium, will start working at the University of California Berkeley from August 2014, but will still continue to supervise research at the HSE Institute of Education.
On May 15-17, the 2nd SERU Consortium (Student experience in the research university) conference took place at the HSE. It was devoted to problems concerning the educational milieu of contemporary research universities.