Head of IOE Laboratory for University Development and HSE Rector’s Aide Dmitry Semyonov, 31, died in a car crash on August 17 while on vacation in Thailand.
It is with deep sorrow and regret that we announce the premature passing of Dmitry Semyonov, Head of IOE Laboratory for University Development and Aide to the HSE Rector, who died in a road crash on August 17 during his vacation in Thailand.
Local Thai authorities have reported Dmitry, 31, and his friend Ivan Sorokin, 32, were driving a Toyota Yaris when their car was hit by a pickup truck at a crossroads without traffic lights. Dmitry and Ivan were killed on impact.
Dmitry received his BA and MA in Political Science at the Moscow Campus of Higher School of Economics University. He later joined the HSE Institute of Education as one of the brightest and most promising young scholars in higher education studies. In his subsequent role at the helm of the IOE Laboratory for University Development, Dmitry unleashed the very best of his leadership and academic potential, turning the Lab into one of IOE’s core and most dynamic R&D divisions.
Unfailingly pursuing a most extensive research agenda, Dmitry has authored a number of papers in various domains of higher education scholarship. Among the latest projects where Dmitry has had his academic stake is the book entitled 25 Years of Transformations of Higher Education Systems in Post-Soviet Countries. Reform and Continuity, which is set to come off the press at Palgrave Macmillan in the fall of 2017.
We deeply mourn the sad demise of Dmitry Semyonov, who will stay in our weeping hearts as a man of outstanding ability and merit, a passionate scholar and educator, a supportive colleague and mentor, and a faithful friend.
We extend our profound condolences to Dmitry’s relatives and everyone fortunate to have known him.
- Chapter Semyonov D., Platonova D. Preface: Challenges and advantages of exploring post-Soviet higher education, in: 25 Years of Transformations of Higher Education Systems in Post-Soviet Countries. Reform and Continuity / Ed. by J. Huisman, A. Smolentseva, I. Froumin. Palgrave Macmillan, 2017.
- Chapter Platonova D., Semyonov D. Russia: The institutional landscape of Russian higher education, in: 25 Years of Transformations of Higher Education Systems in Post-Soviet Countries. Reform and Continuity / Ed. by J. Huisman, A. Smolentseva, I. Froumin. Palgrave Macmillan, 2017.
- Article Semyonov D., Platonova D. Stages of Policy Changes and Institutional Landscape of Russian Higher Education // Higher Education in Russia and Beyond. 2016. No. 2(8). P. 23-24.
- Article Leshukov O., Platonova D., Semyonov D. The Efficiency of Regional Higher Education Systems and Competition in Russia // Экономика региона. 2016. No. 2. P. 417-426. doi
- Preprint Leshukov O., Platonova D., Semyonov D. Does Competition Matter? Efficiency of Regional Higher Education Systems and Competition: Case of Russia / National research university Higher School of economics. Series WP BRP "Basic research program". 2015. No. WP BRP 29/EDU/2015 .
- Chapter Фрумин И. Д., Абанкина И. В., Косарецкий С. Г., Мерцалова Т. А., Деркачев П. В., Дудырев Ф. Ф., Кузьминов Я. И., Семенов Д. С., Пинская М. А. Образовательная политика и долговременные тенденции // В кн.: Социальная политика в России: долгосрочные тенденции и изменения последних лет / Отв. ред.: Я. И. Кузьминов, Л. Н. Овчарова, Л. И. Якобсон. М. : Издательский дом НИУ ВШЭ, 2015. С. 239-289.
- Book Абанкина И. В., Абанкина Т. В., Акиндинова Н. В., Бирюкова С. С., Вишневский А. Г., Денисенко М. Б., Дерзкова Н. П., Деркачев П. В., Дудырев Ф. Ф., Захаров С. В., Исупова О. Г., Капелюшников Р. И., Кондрашов Н. В., Косарева Н. Б., Косарецкий С. Г., Кузьминов Я. И., Куренной В. А., Куштанина Е. В., Мерцалова Т. А., Мкртчян Н. В., Овчарова Л. Н., Ощепков А. Ю., Пинская М. А., Полиди Т. Д., Прокопов Ф. Т., Пузанов А. С., Рудник Б. Л., Семенов Д. С., Синявская О. В., Фрумин И. Д., Чернявский А. В., Шишкин С. В., Якобсон Л. И. Социальная политика: долгосрочные тенденции и изменения последних лет. Краткая версия доклада [Текст] : докл. к XVI Апр. междунар. науч. конф. по проблемам развития экономики и общества / Отв. ред.: Я. И. Кузьминов, Л. Н. Овчарова, Л. И. Якобсон. М. : Издательский дом НИУ ВШЭ, 2015.
- Article Froumin I., Kuzminov Y. I., Semyonov D. Institutional diversity in Russian higher education: revolutions and evolution // European Journal of Higher Education. 2014. Vol. 4. No. 3. P. 209-234.
- Preprint Semyonov D., Platonova D. Program Diversification and Specialization in Russian Higher Education Institutions / NRU Higher School of Economics. Series EDU "Education". 2014. No. 17/EDU/2014.
- Article Кузьминов Я. И., Семенов Д. С., Фрумин И. Д. Структура вузовской сети: от советского к российскому «мастер-плану» // Вопросы образования. 2013. № 4. С. 8-63.
Researchers at the IOE Laboratory for University Development have been commissioned by UNESCO’s Global Education Monitoring (GEM) unit to take part in drafting one of GEM’s latest massive studies, the 2017/18 Report on Accountability in Education. For purposes of this report, IOE's leading experts Dmitry Semyonov, Daria Platonova, Natalia Isaeva and Anna Kobtseva have prepared two background research papers taking national and international perspectives on various facets of university and student accountability.
The Annual Conference of the Consortium of Higher Education Researchers, CHER, is a key event in higher education research in Europe. Traditionally, CHER has attracted the best researchers and experts with a unique opportunity to learn about cutting-edge studies in the field, as well as to present their own research to the global community. This year’s conference took place from September 4 to 7, 2016, in Cambridge, England. A group of staff from the HSE Institute of Education took part in the event, including Isak Froumin, Igor Chirikov, Mikhail Lisyutkin, Dmitry Semyonov, Daria Platonova, Ksenia Romanenko, and Tatiana Semenova.
Higher Education in Russia and Beyond (HERB) team presents the 8th issue of a journal destined to bring current Russian, Central Asian and Eastern European educational trends to the attention of the international research community. This issue covers the transformation of higher education in former Soviet republics.
On 4th - 7th November the annual conference of the Association for the Study of Higher Education, ASHE took place in Denver, Colorado. Incorporated in 1976 ASHE is the oldest professional association in higher education studies and has more than 2,000 members, mostly Americans.
On September 7-9 The Annual Conference of The Consortium of higher education Researchers / CHER 28th Annual Conference took place in Lisbon, Portugal. This year’s theme was ‘Global Challenges, National Initiatives, and Institutional Responses – The Transformation of Higher Education’. The participants discussed recent transformations in higher education: what global challenges the universities face and how to cope with these challenges.