Daniel B. Tsygankov
- Associate Professor:Faculty of Social Sciences / School of Politics and Governance / Department of Theory and Practice of Public Administration
- Director:Institute for Public Administration and Governance / Center for Regulatory Impact Assessment
- Daniel B. Tsygankov has been at HSE University since 2001.
Education and Degrees
Candidate of Sciences* (PhD) in Political Sociology
Saint Petersburg State University
Thesis Title: Sociological analysis of the political outlooks and social activities of Alexander Solzhenitsyn
Degree in Sociology
Saint Petersburg State University, Department of sociology
According to the International Standard Classification of Education (ISCED) 2011, Candidate of Sciences belongs to ISCED level 8 - "doctoral or equivalent", together with PhD, DPhil, D.Lit, D.Sc, LL.D, Doctorate or similar. Candidate of Sciences allows its holders to reach the level of the Associate Professor.
Place and dates - Luiss Guido Carli University (Rome) & “Jacobs and Associates” company (Washington), Rome, Italy, 2011.
Subject - Regulatory impact analysis.
Place and dates - University of Saarland, Saarbridge, Germany, 2009.
Subject - Quality methods.
Place and dates - University of Bern, Switzerland, 2007, 2008, 2010.
Subject - Program & policy evaluation, regulatory impact assessment.
Place and dates - FU-Berlin, Germany, 2019.
Subject - Regulatory Policy in Russia: lectures for MA-Students (with support of Erasmus+).
Place and dates - University of Potsdam, Germany, 2017-2018.
Subject - Regulatory Policy in Germany (with support of DAAD).
Place and dates - German Higher School of Public Administration, Speyer, Germany, 2011.
Subject - Evaluation of legislation, Standard Сost Мodel.
Place and dates - University of Saarland, Saarbridge, Germany, 2007.
Subject - Program evaluation (with support of DAAD).
Place and dates - Humboldt-University of Berlin, Germany, 2002.
Subject - Program Evaluation (with support of DAAD).
Place and dates - Free University of Berlin, Germany, 2000-2001.
Subject - Political Science (with support of Study Foundation of the Berlin House of Representatives)
Sample topics of the PhD theses, graduation and term papers
I. PhD theses
1. Deregulation, Reregulation and Compliance during COVID-19 Crisis
2. Regulatory Policy and RegTech
II. Graduation papers (BA and MA), 1th-year term papers (MA)
1. Analysis of legislation costs;
2. Comparative analysis of regulatory impact assessment introduction (in Russia, in CIS countries, abroad, on regional and central levels);
3. Regulatory risks management in corporations;
4. Smart/better regulation.
III. 2th-year & 3th-year term papers (BA)
1. Evaluative approaches in law making (RIA, law monitoring, anticorruption expertise, financial-economic assessment);
2. Sunset legislation;
3. Strength and weakness of economic methods use (cost-benefit analysis, etc.) in non-government social programs evaluation.
4. Impact assessment abroad (competition assessment, enviromental impat assessment, social assessment, pubic health assessment, etc.);
5. Analysis of RIA introduction in Russia on central and regional levels (2000 to present);
6. Comparative analysis of Standard cost model introduction in the Netherlands and in Germany;
7. Webblogs and social networks signifacance in program evaluation development.
Student Term / Thesis Papers
N. Goncharova, International Cybersecurity Regulation: Implications for Russia. Faculty of Social Sciences, 2018
V. Zakharova, Impact Analysis of Governmental Policy Regulating Information Technology in Russia: a Case of VPN-Services and Anonymizers. Faculty of Social Sciences, 2018
N. Kaz`mina, Opportunities and Limitations of Better Law Making Instruments with Regard to SMEs State Support. Faculty of Public Administration, 2014
M. Astakhova, Behavioural Insights Analysis in Increasing Financial Literacy: International Experience and the Prospects in Russia. Faculty of Social Sciences, 2020
N. Goncharova, The Use of Advocacy Coalitions for the Protection of Business Interests: The Case of Crab Catch Quota Allocations in Russia. Faculty of Social Sciences, 2020
- "Analysis of the costs imposed by key regulation’s requirements in the fishing industry, and the development of proposals for the implementation of the mechanism of the ‘regulatory guillotine’ in the fishing industry", September 2019 – May 2020, commissioned by All-Russian association of the fishery enterprises, businessmen and exporters. Team leader.
- "Development of a methodological approach to assessing the regulatory costs in the fishing industry", July – August 2019, commissioned by All-Russian association of the fishery enterprises, businessmen and exporters. Team leader.
“Impact analysis of the fishing industry regulation in the Russian Federation”, August – November 2018, commissioned by All-Russian association of the fishery enterprises, businessmen and exporters. Team leader.
- Project "Regulatory Policy 3.0", since 2017. Supervisor.
- “Study of progress and results of RIA introduction at the regional level in various countries, conclusions and recommendations for the Russian Federation”, 2014-2015, supported by the Applied Research Development Fund of NRU HSE. Team leader
- “Conducting a workshop on introduction of regulatory impact assessment at the municipal level and a workshop, case studies on regulatory impact assessment in the Arkhangelsk region” commissioned by the Ministry of Economy and Competition Policy of the Arkhangelsk region, 2014. Team leader.
- “Support on introduction and implementation of regulatory impact assessment procedures in the Leningrad region” commissioned by the Committee for Economic Development and Investment Activities of the Leningrad region, 2014. Team leader.
- “Organizational, legal and methodological aspects of regulatory impact assessment introduction in the Arkhangelsk region” commissioned by the Ministry of Economy and Competition Policy of the Arkhangelsk region and the project “Pilot conducting regulatory impact assessment procedures of draft regulations and expertise of the current regulatory legal acts of the Arkhangelsk region (by areas)” commissioned by the Ministry of Economy and Competition Policy of the Arkhangelsk region, 2013. Team leader.
- “Elaboration of organizational models of regulatory impact assessment in the activity of the individual subjects of the lawmaking initiative of the Russian Federation”, commissioned by the Ministry of Economic Development of the Russian Federation, 2013. Team leader.
- “Regulatory Impact Analysis of Federal Law Draft ‘On Protection of public health from the effects of tobacco’" commissioned by the Russian Union of Industrialists and Entrepreneurs, 2011-2012. Team leader.
- “Methodological approaches to public services quality assessment, including approaches to regulatory impact assessment”, granted by the HSE Center for Fundamental Studies, 2011. Expert.
XX Апрельская международная конференция по проблемам развития экономики и общества (Москва). Presentation: Специальные регуляторные зоны: международный опыт и перспективы внедрения в российской регуляторной политике
XIX Апрельская международная научная конференция по проблемам развития экономики и общества (Москва). Presentation: Институциональные развилки формирования nudge unit в системе современного государственного управления
XVIII Апрельская Международная конференция по проблемам развития экономики и общества (Москва). Presentation: Перспективы распространения Модели стандартных издержек для измерения издержек взаимодействия граждан с государственными органами
Sixth ECPR Standing Group on Regulatory Governance Conference "Between Collaboration and Contestation: Regulatory Governance in a Turbulent World" (Тилбург). Presentation: Standard Cost Measuring in Russia: ‘installation’ along ‘Dutch model’?
12th EES Biennial Conference "Evaluation Futures in Europe and Beyond: Connectivity, Innovation and Use" (Маастрихт). Presentation: Standard cost model in Russia: between institutional building along “Dutch model” and weakness of implementation
Ежегодная конференция российской Ассоциации специалистов по оценке программ и политик "Оценка программ и политик в эпоху кризиса: вызовы и возможности" (Новосибирск). Presentation: Институциональное выращивание модели стандартных издержек в Германии по «голландской модели»: уроки для России
Международный семинар "Дальнейшее совершенствование СОВАЗ в Узбекистане, как важный инструмент модернизации и повышения качества национального законодательства" (Ташкент). Presentation: Зарубежный опыт по улучшению регуляторной среды: практика стран ОЭСР и ЕАЭС
- Ежегодная конференция российской Ассоциации специалистов по оценке программ и политик "Оценка программ и политик в России: становление профессии" (Москва). Presentation: Пути ОРВ и ОВОС– взаимное обогащение или раздельное существование?
- 2013XIV Апрельская международная научная конференция по проблемам развития экономики и общества (Москва). Presentation: Сравнительный анализ международного опыта оценки качества регуляторной политики
10th EES Biennial Conference: Evaluation in the networked society: New concepts, New challenges, New solutions (Хельсинки). Presentation: Introduction of the regulatory impact assessment in public administration of countries in transition - between "bureaucratic control" and neo-pluralism
- Article Tsygankov D. B. Regulatory Policy in Russia — Smart Suggestions, But Poor Implementation // Russian Analytical Digest. 2018. No. 227. P. 2-5. doi
- Book Golodnikova A., Yefremov A., Sobol D., Tsygankov D. B., Shklyaruk M. Regulatory policy in Russia: key trends and architecture of the future / Пер. с рус.; рук.: D. B. Tsygankov. M. : Center for Strategic Research, 2018. doi
- Article Голодникова А. Е., Цыганков Д. Б., Юнусова М. А. Потенциал использования концепции «nudge» в государственном регулировании // Вопросы государственного и муниципального управления. 2018. № 3. С. 7-31.
- Book Голодникова А. Е., Ефремов А. А., Соболь Д. В., Цыганков Д. Б., Шклярук М. С. Регуляторная политика в России: основные тенденции и архитектура будущего. М. : Центр стратегических разработок, 2018. doi
- Chapter Tsygankov D. B. Regulatory impact assessment in Russia, in: Regulatory Reforms - Implementation and Compliance: Proceedings of the Tenth Congress of the International Association of Legislation (IAL) in Veliky Novgorod, June 28th - 29th, 2012 / Ed. by С. В. Кабышев, L. Mader. Vol. 17. Baden-Baden : Nomos, 2014. P. 249-267. doi
- Article Kuzmin A., Tsygankov D. B. The Emerging Field of Evaluation and the Growth of the Evaluation Profession: The Russian Experience // Canadian Journal of Program Evaluation. 2014. Vol. 28. No. 3. P. 87-101.
- Article Цыганков Д. Б., Дерман Д. О., Беляев А. Н. Методические подходы к мета-оцениванию качества заключений об оценке регулирующего воздействия // Проектирование, мониторинг и оценка. 2011. № 1. С. 23-51.
- Chapter Цыганков Д. Б. Опыт работы Национального Совета по контролю норм Германии // В кн.: Коллоквиум «Оценивание программ и политик: методология и применение»: сборник материалов / Отв. ред.: Д. Б. Цыганков. Вып. VI. М. : [б.и.], 2011. С. 124-132.
- Sub-Commission for Regulatory Guillotine and Inspection Reform under Russian Government’s Office - member (since 2019)
- Sub-Commission for Ex-post Evaluation of Legislation under Russian Government’s Office - member (since 2021)
- Interdepartmental Working Group for the Coordination and Methodological Support of the Formation, Maintenance and Updating of the Register of Mandatory Requirements - member (since 2021)
- Consultative Committee for Entrepreneurship set up by the Eurasian Economic Commission Board - independent member (since 2012)
- Standing Group on Regulatory Governance of the European Consortium for Political Research (since 2015)
- International Regulatory Reform Network (2010-2014)
- International Initiative for Impact Evaluation (since 2009)
- International Association for Impact Assessment (2015-2017)
- Russian Evaluation Society (since 2014); Member of Board (2014-2016)
- European Evaluation Society (2006-2016)
- DegEVal - Evaluation Society (2005-2011)
- International Sociology Association (2006-2013)
- E-Journal "Project Making, Monitoring & Evaluation" - Member of the Editorial Board (2010-2016)
State control measures governing fish production in Russia are excessive: they hinder effective delivery of produce to ports, render the registration of freight consignments more difficult and complicate vessel operation. These are the findings of analysts from the Higher School of Economics (HSE). Total losses in the sector from shortcomings in regulation might reach RUB 17 billion a year and yet control measures continue to tighten.
Over the last three years, Associate Professor Daniil Tsygankov from the HSE Institute of Public Administration and Governance has been studying how the Netherlands, Germany and Russia all introduce the standard cost model, a promising tool for assessing the impact of state regulation on business. Today he will be sharing his experience, gained from conferences, placements, field and practical work in this area.
Head of the HSE RIA Center Daniel Tsygankov spoke at the seminar “Technology Assessment: How to Analyze the Impact of Regulation on the Break-through Technologies and Digital Economy?”, which was held at the Center for Strategic Research on 28. February 2018.
CSD Vice-president Maria Shklyaruk and Director of the RIA Centre Daniil Tsygankov have written a column in the RBC on the directions and prospects of regulatory policy in Russia.
A discussion with Daniil Tsygankov on how the practice of regulatory impact assessment came into being, what approaches exist to implement it, how RIA procedures are applied in Russian and much more.
A round table was held as part of the 17th April International Conference under the title of “Future Regulation”, dedicated to the problems and prospective directions of development of the state's regulatory policy. The discussion involved V.A. Zhivulin (Russian Ministry of Economic Development) E.A. Makhortov (SCA), Yu.A. Tikhomirov (Institute of Legislation and Comparative Law), A.V. Varvarin (Russian Union of Industrialists and Entrepreneurs), R.N. Korchagin (Russian Presidential Academy of National Economy and Public Administration), V.A. Kharchenko and V.A. Maslakov (NISSE), D.B. Tsygankov (NRU HSE), with Director A.V. Klimenko (NRU HSE) acting as moderator.
Director of the Centre for Regulatory Impact Assessment of the Institute for Public Administration and Municipal Management of NRU Higher School of Economics Daniil Tsygankov held a meeting with Irkutsk Regional Authorised Representative for Entrepreneurial Rights Protection Alexei Moskalenko and representatives of the Ministry of Economic Development of Irkutsk Region.
On 14 May 2015 the Institute for Monitoring of Current Legislation (IMCL) under the President of Uzbekistan, in collaboration with the UN Development Programme in Uzbekistan, held a workshop as part of implementation of the project "Support to the Enhancement of Lawmaking, Rulemaking and Regulatory Impact Assessment", entitled: “Further improvement of regulatory impact assessment in Uzbekistan as an essential tool for modernization and improvement of the quality of national legislation”. The opening was marked by an address by IMDZ Director Farrukh Mukhamedov.
Daniil Tsygankov, Director of the RIA Centre at the Institute of Public and Municipal Management at the NRU Higher School of Economics shared international experience in improving the regulatory environment: practice of OECD and Eurasian Economic Union countries.
Regulatory Impact Assessment: international experience and practical means of implementation in the Eurasian Economic Commission
On 16 April, Director of the RIA Centre at IPAMM NRU HSE Daniil Tsygankov addressed the information workshop at the EEC – Regulatory Impact Assessment: international experience and practical means of implementation in the Eurasian Economic Commission.
More than one half of Russian regions are nominally engaged in the formation of the institution of regulatory impact assessment (RIA). Experts from the Regulatory Impact Assessment Centre at NRU HSE have revealed that assessment specialists have not undergone the requisite further training, analysis of the consequences of regulatory innovations for business and society are systematically overlooked and funds are allocated for pilot projects and training merely based on the leftover principle. That said, a number of regions are growth points for “smart regulation”.
Director of the RIA Centre, IPAMM NRU HSE and independent expert of the Consultative Committee for Entrepreneurship under the EEU Supervisory Panel Daniil Tsygankov gave a video interview to the PROVED information and analytical portal (St Petersburg), speaking about the present-day state of regulatory impact assessment in Russia and the Eurasian Economic Union. We recall that since 1 April 2015 the majority of decisions of the EEU, which may have an impact on business conditions, may not be taken without allowance for RIA and public consultations with the business community.
The Agreement on the Eurasian Economic Union, executed on 29 May in Astana, stipulates in particular the duty of the Eurasian Economic Union to perform regulatory impact assessment (RIA) of draft resolutions, which may impact upon conditions for doing business. Commentary by Daniil Tsygankov, Director of the Regulatory Impact Assessment Centre at the Higher School of Economics and member of the business consultative committee under the Collegial Panel of the Eurasian Economic Commission.
Second workshop held on regulatory impact assessment for administrations of the Central Office of the Federal Tax Service of Russia
The Federal Tax Service of Russia, following the initiative of the department’s social council and the Russia Union of Taxpayers, has held an in-depth workshop on regulatory impact assessment for administrations of the Central Office of the Federal Tax Service of Russia. Speakers included Alexander Borisov, Chief Executive of the Moscow-based International Business Association, Artem Kiryanov, Chairman of the Executive Committee of the Russian Union of Taxpayers, Denis Tsygankov, Director of the Centre for Regulatory Impact Assessment of IPAMM NRU HSE and others.
On 14 March the National Research University - the Higher School of Economics held the international practical workshop "Development of Smart Regulation Mechanisms: heading for a new regulatory policy for Russia".
Andrey Klimenko, Director of the Institute for Public and Municipal Management of the NRU HSE opened the event and served as moderator on the first panel.
Charles-Henri Montin, Senior Advisor on regulatory matters for the French Finance Ministry and editor of the international Smartregulation.net blog, appeared with a keynote speech, describing the potential of best practices in the regulatory policy of OECD countries and throughout the world as regards the applicability of Russian realities.
On 21 November, under the support of the Administration of Lipetsk Region, the Lipetsk Chamber of Commerce and Industry, together with the RIA Centre of the Higher School of Economics (Moscow) held the second in-depth workshop for department heads in regional and municipal administrations, heads of regional and municipal administrations on the subject: “Development of the Institution of RIA (Regulatory Impact Assessment) in Lipetsk Region”.
On 5 September St Petersburg hosted a workshop titled Development of the institution of RIA in St Petersburg and the Leningrad Region, which was attended by representatives of the regional authorities and business associations of St Petersburg and the Leningrad Region. Director of the RIA Centre at IPAMM NRU HSE Daniil TSYGANKOV addressed the workshop, paying particular attention to the fact that the Higher School of Economics now offers a full-fledged distance learning course in RIA (72 hours), to run from 23 September until 4 November 2013, and which will issue a state-endorsed certificate upon completion.
On 29 May 2013 the Federal Customs Service hosted a workshop on the application of a regulatory impact assessment mechanism.
Director of the RIA Centre presents a report on parliamentary RIA at a workshop session at the State Duma
Director of the RIA Centre Daniil TSYGANKOV and invited specialist from the Centre M.Y. SOROKIN presented a report Parliamentary RIA – International Practice and Prospects for Russia at the workshop The Role of Regulatory Impact Assessment and Socioeconomic Review in the Preparation of Legislative Initiatives, conducted as part of the session for heads of analytical departments of legislative (representative) and executive government agencies of Russian Federation constituent entities.
On 13 December 2012, the Parliament Centre of the Interparliamentary Assembly of CIS member states hosted a roundtable entitled 'Specific steps to implement an effective procedure for regulatory impact assessment in St Petersburg and the Leningrad Region'. Director of the RIA Centre of the Institute for Public Administration and Municipal Management of NRU HSE Daniil TSYGANKOV presented a keynote report 'Regulatory Impact Assessment in the Russian Regions - Implementation Options'.
On 11-12 June an OECD seminar was held in Berlin, devoted to improving the assessment of the performance of public regulation. IPAM NRU HSE Director Andrey KLIMENKO and director of IPAMM’s Regulatory Impact Assessment Centre Daniil TSYGANKOV took part in the seminar.
On 24 May the St Petersburg Chamber of Commerce and Industry hosted the conference Prospects for the introduction and further development of a procedure for assessing regulatory impact in constituent entities of the Northwest Federal District of the Russian Federation.
As part of this event, Director of the Regulatory Impact Assessment Centre of the Institute of Public and Municipal Management of the NRY HSE Daniil TSYGANKOV presented a report and gave an interview to the Dialog agency.
Business people want to evaluate decisions of the authorities before they are taken. Daniil Tsygankov, director of the Regulatory Impact Assessment Centre at the Higher School of Economics, is certain that the concept of 'smart regulation', which has appeared in the EU strategy, is also applicable in Russia.