Elena A. Shakina
- Deputy Dean for Organization of Research and Academic Development:HSE Campus in St. Petersburg / St.Petersburg School of Economics and Management
- Laboratory Head:HSE Campus in Perm / International Laboratory of Intangible-driven Economy
- Assistant Professor:HSE Campus in St. Petersburg / St.Petersburg School of Economics and Management / Department of Management
- Member of the HSE Academic Council
- Elena A. Shakina has been at HSE since 2002.
Education and Degrees
University of Vigo
Thesis Title: Company investment strategies for intangibles
Thesis Title: Individual research grants and academic productivity
Candidate of Sciences* (PhD) in Finance, Monetary Circulation and Credit
Higher School of Economics
Thesis Title: Program Evaluation in Public Finance: the Case of Perm Region
Higher School of Economics
Degree in Finance and Credit
Higher School of Economics, economics
According to the International Standard Classification of Education (ISCED) 2011, Candidate of Sciences belongs to ISCED level 8 - "doctoral or equivalent", together with PhD, DPhil, D.Lit, D.Sc, LL.D, Doctorate or similar. Candidate of Sciences allows its holders to reach the level of the Associate Professor.
Young Faculty Support Program (Group of Young Academic Professionals)
Category "Future Professoriate" (2011-2012)
- 2009:The Scientific and PracticalCourse inAppliedEconometrics" (NES)
- 2010:InternationalSummer School of Bremerhaven(Germany),""
- 2010:CertificateBEC Vantage
- 2010: The Scientific and PracticalCourse inGame Theory" ( NES)
- 2011: International Week of University of Vigo (Spain) - Visiting Lecturer, Classes "Relative Valuation", training "GUUGLE Workshop"
- 2011: The Course in Empirical Industrial Organization" (NES)
- 2011: Workshop on Academic Writing (prof. Elko Huizingh (Huizingh Academic Development))
- 2012: Visiting Research Fellow at the Department of Accountancy and Finance, University of Vigo, Orense
- 2012: International Week of University of Vigo (Spain) - Visiting Lecturer, Classes "Business Valuation"
- 2012: Workshop on Academic Writing (NRU HSE)
- 2012: ISEO Summer School "Building the New Economic Welfare after the Crisis", Brecia, Italy, 23-30 June.
- 2012: Workshop on Contract Theory (NES)
- 2012: Internship in the University of Essex (in the frame of launching jount master program), Southend, London, UK, 18-26 November.
- 2013: Visiting Research Fellow at the Department of Accountancy and Finance, University of Vigo, Orense
- 2013: IELTS (Academic)
- 2014: Master program "Management in Higher Education" (NRU HSE) - 2nd year
- 2014: Visiting Research Fellow (18/07-08/08) at the Department of Accountancy and Finance, University of Vigo, Orense
- 2014: Summer School "Structural Estimation in Corporate Finance", Center for Monetary and Financial Studies, Madrid, Spain
- 2010-2011:Academic premium
- 2011-2012: Academic premium
- 2012-2013: Academic premium
- 2013-2015: Academic premium
- 2011-2012: Research Group "Intellectual Capital Evaluation"
- 2013: Research Group "Empirical Corporate Finance"
- Strategic Financial Management for graduate students
- Business Research Methods for graduate students
- Business Valuation for undergraduate students
Student Term / Thesis Papers
A. Mendygalieva «Implementation Strategy and Franchising Networks: the Case of Altera LLC Models». St.Petersburg School of Economics and Management, 2018
P. Artamoshina «Tha Role of Intangibles in After-Crisis Performance of European and Russian Companies». St.Petersburg School of Economics and Management, 2018
E. Golovkova «Intellectual Capital of the Company in the Crisis Period». Faculty of Economics, Management, and Business Informatics, 2016
D. Gulyaeva «The Impact of Intellectual Capital on Company’s Value». Faculty of Economics, Management, and Business Informatics, 2016
D. Shevnina «Critical Factors of Competitiveness of Russian Companies». Faculty of Economics, Management, and Business Informatics, 2016
E. Lagodiuk «Empirical Study of Russian Merger Control: Event Study Approach». Faculty of Economics, Management, and Business Informatics, 2017
E. Zagorodnova «Determinants of Academic Achievements in Continuing Education». Institute of Education, 2017
P. Parshakov «A Comparative Study of the Efficiency of European and Russian Corporate Universities». Institute of Education, 2017
N. Zaxarova «The Impact of Intellectual Capital on the volatility of Economic Value Added in European Companies». Faculty of Economics, 2014
Yu. Maksimova «Value Based Management Concept: Implementation of the RAVE Model». Faculty of Economics, 2014
A. Maslennikova «Companies’ Investment Policy During the Economic Crises». Faculty of Economics, 2014
Fields of Interest
- Value-based Managment
- Intellectual Capital Evaluation
- Empirical Corporate Finance
- Academic Contract
- April - June 2010 - Implementation of the Budgeting System and the Balanced Scorecard in Real Estate Company
- March - June 2009 - Development of Methodology for Assessing the Value of Fiscal Services for the Administration of the Perm Region
- October-November 2008 - Development of the Investment Strategy of Perm
- September 2008 - Introduction of Inter-industry Wages System in the Budgetary Institutions of Perm Region
- November-December 2007 - Study on the Transition of Archival Industry to the New Technology
- August - November 2007 - Development of the Socio-Economic Development Strategy of Solikamsk of Perm Region for 2008-2018
- September - November 2006 - Implementation of Balanced Scorecard of the Development Company
- October-December 2006 Development of the Methodological Framework and Business-plan to Create a Venture Fund
- April - September 2005 - Introduction of the Balanced Scorecard of the Oil Company
- December 2004 - February 2005 - Development of the Priorities of Socio-economic Development of the Perm Region
Participation in Conferences
- Transition to Performance Budgeting: Mechanisms of Monitoring and Estimation. 11-th Bi-Annual Conference of European Association for Comparative Economic Studies «Comparing Responses to Global Instability», Tartu, Estonia: University of Tartu, Fuculty of Economics and Business Administration, 2010.
- EACES Workshop International Scientific Conference "Market Failures and the Role of Institutions" . Intellectual Capital: Value Drivers and Role of the Institutions in Europe and Russia, 22-24 September 2011, Milocer, Montenegro.
- 12th European Conference on Knowledge Management. Intellectual Capital Evaluation: Relationship between Knowledge Management Implementation and Company’s Performance, 1-2 September 2011, University of Passau, Germany
- iCARE, 2013, NRU HSE-Perm
- XV April International Academic Conference on Economic and Social Development, 2014
- iCARE, 2014, NRU HSE-Perm
Dissertation for a degree of Candidate of Science
Articles and book chapters16
- Article Parshakov P., Shakina E. A. With or without CU: A comparative study of efficiency of European and Russian corporate universities // Journal of Intellectual Capital. 2018. Vol. 19. No. 1. P. 96-111. doi
- Article Barajas A., Shakina E. A., Fernandez-Jardon Fernandez C. M. Acceleration effect of intangibles in the recovery of corporate performance after-crisis // Research in International Business and Finance. 2017. Vol. 42. P. 1115-1122. doi
- Article Shakina E. A., Barajas A., Molodchik M. Bridging the gap in competitiveness of Russian companies with intangible bricks // Measuring Business Excellence. 2017. Vol. 21. No. 1. P. 86-100. doi
- Article Shakina E. A., Molodchik M., Barajas A. Endogenous Value Creation: Managerial Decisions on Intangibles // Management Research Review. 2017. Vol. 40. No. 4. P. 410-428. doi
- Article Shakina E. A., Barajas A. Intangible-intensive profiles of companies: protection during the economic crisis of 2008-2009 // Journal of Intellectual Capital. 2016. Vol. 17. No. 4. P. 758-775. doi
- Chapter Shakina E. A., Molodchik M., Barajas A. Exploring value creation through intangibles: managers’ decisions vs investors’ expectations, in: XV Апрельская международная научная конференция по проблемам развития экономики и общества: в 4-х книгах / Отв. ред.: Е. Г. Ясин. Кн. 2. М. : Издательский дом НИУ ВШЭ, 2015. P. 279-288.
- Article Shakina E. A., Barajas A. Intangible-Intensive Profile Of A Company: The Key To Outperforming // Journal of Intellectual Capital. 2015. Vol. 16. No. 4. P. 1-25. doi
- Article Shakina E. A., Molodchik M. Intangible-driven value creation: supporting and obstructing factors // Measuring Business Excellence. 2014. Vol. 18. No. 3. P. 87-100. doi
- Article Molodchik M., Shakina E. A., Barajas A. Metrics for the elements of intellectual capital in an economy driven by knowledge // Journal of Intellectual Capital. 2014. Vol. 15. No. 2. P. 206-226. doi
- Article Shakina E. A., Barajas A. The Dynamics of Intellectual Resources During the Economic Crisis // Economic Research-Ekonomska Istraživanja. 2014. Vol. 27. No. 1. P. 861-881.
- Article Shakina E. A., Barajas A. Value Creation Through Intellectual Capital In Developed European Markets // Journal of Economic Studies. 2014. Vol. 41. No. 2. P. 272-291. doi
- Article Barajas A., Shakina E. A. The Contribution of Intellectual Capital to Value Creation // Contemporary Economics. 2013. Vol. 7. No. 4. P. 41-56. doi
- Article Molodchik M., Shakina E. A., Anna A. Bykova. Intellectual Capital Transformation Evaluating Model // Journal of Intellectual Capital. 2012. Vol. 13. No. 4. P. 1-13. doi
- Article Shakina E. A., Barajas A. The Relationship between Intellectual Capital Quality and Corporate Performance: An Empirical Study of Russian and European Companies // Economic Annals. 2012. Vol. 57. No. 192. P. 79-98. doi
- Chapter Shakina E. A., Bykova A. Intellectual Capital Evaluation: Relationship between Knowledge Management Implementation and Company’s Performance, in: Proceedings of the 12th European Conference on Knowledge Management / Ed. by F. Lehner, K. Bredl. Vol. 2. Leeds : Academic Publishing International Limited, 2011. P. 917-929.
- Preprint Shakina E. A., Barajas A. An Intangible-Intensive Profile Of Companies: Protection During The Economic Crisis 2008-2009 / NRU Higher School of Economics. Series MAN "Management". 2015. No. WP BRP 33/MAN/2015.
- Preprint Shakina E. A., Barajas A. Intangible-Intensive Profile Of A Company: The Key To Outperforming / NRU Higher School of Economics. Series MAN "Management". 2014. No. WP BRP 22/MAN/2014.
- Preprint Shakina E. A., Barajas A. The Changing Role Of Intellectual Resources During The Economic Crisis Of 2008-2009 / NRU Higher School of Economics. Series MAN "Management". 2014. No. WP BRP 17/MAN/2014.
- Preprint Shakina E. A., Molodchik M. Intangible-driven value creation: supporting and obstructing factors / National research university Higher School of Economics. Series WP BRP 24/FE/2013 "HSE Working papers". 2013.
We are particularly interested in expanding our international partner's network. Signing new student exchange agreements is a basic step in this processes. Let's find out the newest one, which is signed within AMEC.
In terms of the highest average score of the Unified State Exam, HSE University – St Petersburg has taken the first place among the Russian universities in such fields of study as Oriental Studies and Management. The university has become the second within Philology. Finally, two more programmes within History and Political Science fields of study are in top-3.
With or without CU: A comparative study of efficiency of European and Russian corporate universities
At January 22 during the research seminar "Empirical research of corporate Finance" School of Finance were presented the results of the study of Parshakov P., Shakina E. A. With or without CU: A comparative study of efficiency of European and Russian corporate universities
Every summer since 2007, the Center for Institutional Studies at the National Research University Higher School of Economics has been organizing the annual Russian Summer School on Institutional Analysis (RSSIA). Students and researchers from around the world convene in Moscow to enjoy a whole week of lectures and consultations, presentations, discussions and networking, as well as the opportunity to be inspired by the experts.
On June 23-24, the international conference ‘Economics of Football’ was held in Kazan. This event was organized by the Higher School of Economics (HSE), the New Economic School and Kazan Federal University. Angel Barajas, Dennis Coates, Elena Shakina, Petr Parshakov, Iuliia Naidenova and Anna Bykova, staff members of the International Laboratory of Intangible-driven Economy, participated in the conference. The researchers presented papers and worked as moderators, discussants and key speakers at various sessions and workshops.
The Head of the Laboratory, Elena Shakina has presented Laboratory achievements and future plans on the extended meeting of Academic Council of NRU HSE, Perm branch
Elena Shakina has presented a report on scientific publications of the laboratory for 2014-2016 as well as the laboratory's strategic plans for 2017-2019.
Elena Shakina, Head of the International Laboratory of Intangible-driven Economy defended her PhD dissertation at the University of Vigo in Spain.
Professor Felix J. Lopez Iturriaga has been a Leading Research Fellow at the International Laboratory of Intangible-driven Economy at HSE Perm since 2014. In an interview with HSE English News service, he spoke about his positive experiences working at HSE and his hopes for developing further international academic exchanges.
HSE Perm has hosted the second International Conference on Applied Research. The conference drew Russian and international experts. Participants discussed theoretical models of economic processes, public-private partnership, intellectual capital, market development etc.