- Affiliated Researcher:Institute of Education
- Igor Chirikov has been at HSE University since 2008.
Education and Degrees
Candidate of Sciences* (PhD) in Theory, History and Methods of Sociology
Master's in Sociology
University of Manchester
Moscow Higher School of Social and Economic Sciences
Bachelor's in Economic Sociology
According to the International Standard Classification of Education (ISCED) 2011, Candidate of Sciences belongs to ISCED level 8 - "doctoral or equivalent", together with PhD, DPhil, D.Lit, D.Sc, LL.D, Doctorate or similar. Candidate of Sciences allows its holders to reach the level of the Associate Professor.
Awards and Accomplishments
Young Faculty Support Program (Group of Young Academic Professionals)
Category "Future Lecturers" (2009-2010)
Student Term / Thesis Papers
E. Korotkova «Factors Affecting the Lifetime of NRU HSE Student Organizations». Faculty of Business and Management, 2018
D. Arziamova «The Social Construction of Sanitary-epidemiological Rules by the Staff of the Restaurant». Faculty of Social Sciences, 2017
T. Saprykina «The Transitions «School- University»: Predictors of Academic Performance of First- year Students». Institute of Education, 2017
V. Alekseev «The Problems of Adaptation and Preparation of Indigenous People of the North for Studying at the Higher Education System». Institute of Education, 2017
E. Shmeleva «Cheating Attitudes among Engineering Students: What is the Role of Faculty Behavior?». Faculty of Social Sciences, 2017
M. Kasharin «Relationship Between Participation of Students in Student Organization and Social Capital». Institute of Education, 2017
- The Main Sociological Approaches to the Analysis of Organizations (Bachelor’s programme; Faculty of Social Sciences; 3 year, 4 module)Rus
- Introduction to Profession (Bachelor’s programme; Faculty of Social Sciences; 1 year, 1-4 module)Rus
- Research Seminar (Master’s programme; Institute of Education; 1 year, 1-4 module)Rus
- The Main Sociological Approaches to the Analysis of Organizations (Bachelor’s programme; Faculty of Social Sciences; 3 year, 4 module)Rus
Dissertation for a degree of Candidate of Science
- Article Loyalka P., Liu O. L., Li G., Chirikov I., Kardanova E., Gu L., Ling G., Yu N., Guo F., Ma L., Hu S., Johnson A. S., Bhuradia A., Khanna S., Froumin I., Shi J., Choudhur P. K., Beteille T., Marmolejo F., Tognattal N. Computer science skills across China, India, Russia, and the United States // Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America. 2019. Vol. 116. No. 14. P. 6732-6736. doi
- Article Chirikov I., Shmeleva E., Loyalka P. The role of faculty in reducing academic dishonesty among engineering students // Studies in Higher Education. 2019 doi
- Article Shaw A., Liu O. L., Gu L., Kardanova E., Chirikov I., Li G., Hu S., Yu N., Ma L., Guo F., Su Q., Shi J., Shi H., Loyalka P. Thinking critically about critical thinking: validating the Russian HEIghten® critical thinking assessment // Studies in Higher Education. 2019. P. 1-16. doi (in press)
- Article Chirikov I., Shmeleva E. Are Russian Students Becoming More Dishonest During College? // Higher Education in Russia and Beyond. 2018. No. 3(17). P. 19-21.
- Article Liu O. L., Shaw A., Gu L., Li G., Hu S., Yu N., Ma L., Xu C., Guo F., Su Q., Kardanova E., Chirikov I., Shi J., Shi H., Wang H., Loyalka P. Assessing college critical thinking: preliminary results from the Chinese HEIghten® Critical Thinking assessment // Higher Education Research and Development. 2018. Vol. 37. No. 5. P. 999-1014. doi
- Book International Status Anxiety and Higher Education: The Soviet Legacy in China & Russia / Ed. by A. Oleksiyenko, Q. Zha, I. Chirikov, J. Li. Hong Cong : Springer, 2018.
- Chapter Gu L., Liu O. L., Xu J., Kardanova E., Chirikov I., Li G., Hu S., Yu N., Ma L., Guo F., Su Q., Shi J., Shi H., Loyalka P. Validating the Use of Translated and Adapted HEIghten® Quantitative Literacy Test in Russia, in: Assessment of Learning Outcomes in Higher Education. Cross-National Comparisons and Perspectives. Springer, 2018. doi Ch. 13. P. 267-284. doi
- Article Рудаков В. Н., Чириков И. С., Рощин С. Ю., Дрожжина Д. С. Учись, студент? Влияние успеваемости в вузе на стартовую заработную плату выпускников // Вопросы экономики. 2017. № 3. С. 77-102.
- Article Kardanova E., Loyalka P., Chirikov I., Liu L., Li G., Wang H., Enchikova E., Shi H., Johnson N. Developing instruments to assess and compare the quality of engineering education: the case of China and Russia // Assessment & Evaluation in Higher Education. 2016. Vol. 41. No. 5. P. 770-786. doi
- Article Chirikov I. Do Russian research universities have a secret mission? A response to Forrat // Post-Soviet Affairs. 2016. Vol. 32. No. 4. P. 338-344. doi
- Preprint Chirikov I. How Global Competition is Changing Universities: Three Theoretical Perspectives / UC Berkeley. Series ROPS "Research & Occasional Paper Series: CSHE". 2016. No. 5.16.
- Preprint Рудаков В. Н., Чириков И. С., Рощин С. Ю., Дрожжина Д. С. Учись, студент? Влияние успеваемости в вузе на заработную плату выпускников. / НИУ ВШЭ. Серия WP15 "Научные труды Лаборатории исследований рынка труда". 2016. № 1.
- Chapter Klemenčič M., Chirikov I. How Do We Know How Students Experience Higher Education? On the Use of Student Surveys, in: The European Higher Education Area: Between Critical Reflections and Future Policies / Ed. by A. Curaj, L. Matei, R. Pricopie, J. Salmi, P. Scott. Springer, 2015. P. 361-379.
- Article Chirikov I. The Mystery of Russian Students: Poor Learning Experience, High Satisfaction // Higher Education in Russia and Beyond. 2015. No. 3. P. 10-11.
- Article Чириков И. С. «Поздравляем! Вы стали счастливым обладателем университета» Рецензия на книгу Генри Розовски "Университет. Руководство для владельца" // Вопросы образования. 2015. № 2. С. 289-301.
- Article Chirikov I., Gruzdev I. Back in the USSR: path dependence effects in student representation in Russia // Studies in Higher Education. 2014. Vol. 39. No. 3. P. 455-469. doi
- Article Chirikov I. Research Universities as Knowledge Networks: the Role of Institutional Research // Studies in Higher Education. 2013. Vol. 38. No. 3. P. 456-469. doi
- Article Чириков И. С. Сравнительные институциональные исследования: задачи, организационные модели, методические особенности реализации // Universitas. 2013. Т. 1. № 3. С. 20-32.
- Article Чириков И. С. Четыре способа определения организационных границ в социологии // Экономическая социология. 2012. Т. 13. № 5. С. 129-145.
- Article Мейер Дж., Роуэн Б. Институционализированные организации: формальная структура как миф и церемониал (перевод) / Пер. с англ.: И. С. Чириков // Экономическая социология. 2011. Т. 12. № 1. С. 43-67.
- Article Chirikov I. Divided We Fall: Collaboration Strategies // International Higher Education. 2010. No. 58 (Winter). P. 22-23.
- Article Чириков И. С. Жизнь организации «с точки зрения действующего»: перспектива теории договорного порядка // Журнал социологии и социальной антропологии. 2010. Т. 13. № 4. С. 158-173.
- Article Чириков И. С. Зачем университетам академическое развитие: опыт зарубежных вузов // Университетское управление: практика и анализ. 2010. № 5. С. 15-23.
- Article Чириков И. С. Реализация программ развития и изменения в ГУ-ВШЭ: точка зрения преподавателей // Мониторинг университета. 2010. № 3. С. 35-42.
- Preprint Чириков И. С. Метафора «договорного порядка» как исследовательская перспектива в социологии организаций / Высшая школа экономики. Серия WP4 "Социология рынков". 2009.
- Article Чириков И. С. Рецепция новых форм организации учебного процесса: динамика отношения студентов и преподавателей с 2003 по 2008 год // Мониторинг университета. 2009. № 1. С. 17-24.
- Article Чириков И. С. Роль внутриорганизационных процессов и структур в формировании неравенства людей по доходам // Экономическая социология. 2008. Т. 9. № 3. С. 76-87.
- Book Российская социология завтрашнего дня: Сборник студенческих работ (Вып.3) / Под общ. ред.: Г. В. Иванченко, И. С. Чириков. Вып. 3. М. : Издательский дом ГУ-ВШЭ, 2008.
- Article Радаев В. В., Чириков И. С. Отношение студентов и преподавателей к наказаниям за плагиат и списывание // Университетское управление: практика и анализ. 2006. № 4. С. 77-82.
Editorial board membership
2014: Member of the Editorial Board, Higher Education in Russia and Beyond.
University of California, Berkeley, USA
Managing Director of the “Student Experience in the Research University” — International Consortium, Research Associate at the Center for Studies in Higher Education (06.2014-present)
HSE University Moscow, Russia
Senior Research Fellow at the Institute of Education (09.2013-present)
Deputy First Vice-Rector (04.2013-07.2014)
Founding Director of Institutional Research Office (05.2010-03.2013)
Junior Researcher at the Laboratory for Studies in Economic Sociology (02.2008-04.2010)
An international research team involving IOE has reported findings from a large-scale project that benchmarks the learning outcomes among senior students of Computer Science (CS) at U.S., Indian, Chinese and Russian universities. Based on a unique testing methodology developed by ETS, the study finds that U.S. undergraduates have substantially stronger ability across dimensions of the CS curriculum than their peers from India, China and Russia. The paper has been published in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.
Large online courses will become even more popular since the quality and accessibility of education is rising. They will not, however, replace traditional in-person interactions between student and teacher. This was the conclusion of participants in the eSTARS 2018 international academic conference on the present and future of online education. HSE and the online learning platform Coursera teamed up to host the event in Moscow on December 5-6.
One of the biggest challenges for the Russian higher education system is to combat academic dishonesty among students. Why do the Russian students tend to become more dishonest during college? What is wrong with Russian universities and how to solve the problem of academic dishonesty.
Igor Chirikov, Academic Supervisor at the IOE Center for Higher Education Sociology, is shortly to commence his term with UC Berkeley (California, the USA) as Academic Director for a major international study, Student Experience in the Research University (SERU).
International Partner Week at HSE has brought together representatives of 25 universities from 15 countries of Europe, South-East Asia and the U.S., with which HSE has various cooperation agreements. During the event, the participants exchange information about their universities and their internationalization initiatives.
All students now have the opportunity to create their projects on the new HSE crowdfunding platform. HSEcoins, credited to all students on HSE Day, can be transferred to these projects.
On September 11, Ivan Smirnov, graduate of the HSE Institute of Education doctoral programme, defended his Candidate of Sciences (Education) on ‘Differentiation of students by academic performance in a social network’. His thesis consists of four articles which had been published in academic journals, as well as a description of the study methods, design and main outcomes.
At the beginning of the new academic year, HSE launched a new mechanism for supporting student projects – HSEcoin. Now students will be the ones deciding how financing will be distributed to student initiatives.
ΧΣΕ– ChiSigmaEpsilon – is the name of a new association for students who love science and who want to better understand the academic side of university life. This Research Club will help them develop their skills in research, teaching, and consulting, as well as supporting their participation in applied projects.
A mentoring programme has been launched at HSE that combines graduate experience with student aspirations for professional development. Mentees will pick up on life hacks which are essential for survival in any industry.
On February 12, the winners of the Student Research Paper Competition were announced. Not only did they receive prizes, but also had the opportunity to put some thought-provoking questions to the university administration. We’ve selected five questions which we consider highly relevant to researchers at HSE and internationally, and the responses are below.
IOE doctoral student Irina Shcheglova has recently completed her internship with the Center for Studies in Higher Education at the University of California Berkeley (the USA). Immediately after she returned to Moscow, Irina was thrilled to finally share with IOE fellows about the academic experiences she has gained and her overall impressions of this trip.
On January 25, HSE Vice Rector Igor Chirikov and staff of the Student Initiative Support Centre met with the heads of the University’s student associations. The participants of the meeting, which was organized by the HSE Student Council, summarized the results and outcomes of HSE’s jubilee year 2017, as well as discussed plans for 2018.
A team of IOE researchers has recently visited the Center for Studies in Higher Education at the University of California Berkeley, the U.S. to take part in the international conference New Nationalism and Universities.
International Advisory Committee Meets at HSE: 'The University Is Quick to Respond to Recommendations'
Each year, the HSE International Advisory Committee (IAC) meets in Moscow under the leadership of Nobel laureate Eric Maskin. Committee members focus on reorganising the post-graduate school, updating educational and staffing policies, and a number of other important issues.
The second stage of the Golden HSE competition has come to an end, and the short-listed nominees have been announced.
On November 27, the HSE Academic Council held an awards ceremony dedicated to the university’s 25th anniversary. The meeting saw the participation of representatives of the Russian President, members of government, and members of the Russian Federal Assembly. Governmental awards were given to a number of HSE employees for their tremendous accomplishments.
The results of the 'Steal the Wheel’ Competition have been decided. Entrants suggested implementing some useful practices at HSE that had proved their efficiency at other Russian or international universities, with the winners receiving their prizes at the beginning of December. The winning projects include new approaches to writing theses, organising space in classrooms, and submitting reports on academic trips.
The Higher School of Economics was recognized as a leader among Project 5-100 universities following a recent session held by the Council on Competitiveness Enhancement of Leading Russian Universities among Global Research and Education Centers. The session took place in Yekaterinburg on October 27-28 and was chaired by Olga Golodets, Deputy Prime Minister of Russia.
The application period for HSE’s Student Research Paper Competition has started. The winners will have an opportunity to take part in workshops on academic skills development, while those in state-financed studies will improve their chances of seeing their academic scholarships increased. Also, in addition in HSE students, learners from other academic institutions are eligible for this competition.
Winners of Iron Egg, the biggest student award, have received their prizes. This year, 33 student associations competed in 11 nominations in the contest finals.
The concrete block in the courtyard of the HSE Institute of Education has been a lasting image of the WW2 era. However, last summer, the institute’s staff came up with the idea of turning it into a piece of art. The idea was put forth by Igor Chirikov, Director of theCentre of Sociology of Higher Education, whereby this useless piece of concrete would be transformed into a monument to the ‘anonymous peer reviewer’. Moreover, this idea ended up garnering the most support as a result of an internal vote.
Each year HSE holds the Student Project Contest, which allows projects deemed important for the development of the university at least and all of society at most to receive financial, organisational, or any other type of support to help them succeed.
Savitribai Phule Pune University is the most fortunate university in 2017, according to the Fortunate 500 Universities Rankings. This ranking is traditionally published every April Fool's Day by the Institute of Education of the Higher School of Economics (HSE) in Moscow.
This year students from other Russian and international universities competed against HSE students. The new HSE project ‘Scientific Battles’ was also announced at the award ceremony.
On January 27, 2017, the HSE Academic Council approved a document regulating support for HSE student organizations at its Moscow campus.
On December 7, at a meeting of the International Advisory Committee, HSE Rector Yaroslav Kuzminov discussed the changes underway at the university and explained how the Higher School of Economics is working towards true international competitiveness as part of the 5-100 Project.
Following the project public defense held on November 7th-8th, 2016, the winners of the Student Initiative Competition have been announced. This year 84 entries were submitted to the competition, and 34 participants were invited to defend their projects before the Fund Council.
The Vice Rector position will be taken up by Igor Chirikov (who is also Director of the Centre for Sociology in Higher Education at the Institute of Education). Igor Chirikov spoke with the HSE news service about his main tasks in this new role.
Last year a new system of teaching quality assessment was introduced at HSE. It allows bachelor’s, master’s and specialist students to express their opinion on the teaching process*. This year the first wave of TQA will last till October 23.
The Annual Conference of the Consortium of Higher Education Researchers, CHER, is a key event in higher education research in Europe. Traditionally, CHER has attracted the best researchers and experts with a unique opportunity to learn about cutting-edge studies in the field, as well as to present their own research to the global community. This year’s conference took place from September 4 to 7, 2016, in Cambridge, England. A group of staff from the HSE Institute of Education took part in the event, including Isak Froumin, Igor Chirikov, Mikhail Lisyutkin, Dmitry Semyonov, Daria Platonova, Ksenia Romanenko, and Tatiana Semenova.
A group of HSE staff has launched a Kickstarter account to raise funds for an unusual project – a monument to an anonymous peer reviewer. If enough money is raised, the monument will be erected near the HSE Institute of Education.
In April 2016 HSE Academic Council approved the new regulations for awarding performance bonuses to faculty members who are selected by students and alumni as the best teachers of the year. University bulletin 'Okna Rosta' prepared a long-read about the history of the project and the changes in how the best teachers are selected, and The HSE Look is glad to offer the English version to its readers.
The HSE Institute of Education and the University of California – Berkeley (USA) have signed a memorandum to jointly administer an international Student Experience in the Research University (SERU) Consortium until 2020. The memorandum calls for the two universities to implement a major four-year project on higher education studies involving over 30 universities from various countries.
The article ‘Developing instruments to assess and compare the quality of engineering education: the case of China and Russia’ by the group of IOE staff members (Elena Kardanova, Prashant Loyalka, Igor Chirikov, Ekaterina ENchikova) was published on the online platform of the journal ‘Assessment & Evaluation in Higher Education’ issued by Taylor & Francis.
The international symposium, held by SERU (Student Experience in the Research University) International Consortium on January 18, was sponsored by the University of California, Berkeley, the HSE Institute of Education, and Tongji University, which hosted the event. SERU-International Managing Director and IoE leading researcher Igor Chirikov took part in the event, which united over 50 representatives of universities in China, Japan, Taiwan, Malaysia, Russia and the United States.
On 4th - 7th November the annual conference of the Association for the Study of Higher Education, ASHE took place in Denver, Colorado. Incorporated in 1976 ASHE is the oldest professional association in higher education studies and has more than 2,000 members, mostly Americans.
On the 11th March 2015, Senior Research Fellow at the HSE Institute of Education Igor Chirikov was a guest lecturer at Harvard University. The lecture was part of the Student Experience in a Global Perspective course at the Faculty of Sociology and covered the methodology and results of research into student experience.
In an interview for CIRGE Washington University on the ongoing reforms and pending challenges in Russian doctoral education, Senior Research Fellow at HSE’s Institute for Higher Education, Igor Chirikov explains the peculiar economic, social and bureaucratic problems and academic traditions that are hampering the careers of Russian academics but he also gives reasons to be optimistic about change for the future.
Igor Chirikov, Research Fellow at the HSE Institute of Education, who has been appointed director of the Student Experience in the Research University International (SERU-I) Consortium, will start working at the University of California Berkeley from August 2014, but will still continue to supervise research at the HSE Institute of Education.
On May 15-17, the 2nd SERU Consortium (Student experience in the research university) conference took place at the HSE. It was devoted to problems concerning the educational milieu of contemporary research universities.