- Tim Jaekel has been at HSE since 2015.
Education and Degrees
PhD in Political Science (Dr. rer. pol.)
Thesis Title: Arbeitsmarktreformen. Eine empirisch-vergleichende Analyse für 16 westeuropäische Länder 1950 bis 2008 (A Time-Series Cross-Sectional Analysis of Labor Market Reforms in Western Europe 1950-2008). (in German)
State examination in Political Science
State examination in History
National Research University Higher School of Economics
School of Public Administration – Faculty of Social Sciences
Jan 2015 – until now
Senior Research Fellow
German Research Institute for Public Administration Speyer, Germany
November 2010 – December 2014
Coordinator of the Research Collaboration
„Performance comparison and benchmarking in the public sector“
German Research Institute for Public Administration Speyer, Germany
November 2010 – December 2014
German University of Administrative Sciences Speyer
October 2011 – June 2014
Albert Ludwigs University of Freiburg, Germany
September 2009 – August 2010
University of Heidelberg
November 2006 – August 2009
Awards and Accomplishments
Student Term / Thesis Papers
D. Asenso «The Role of Household in Solid Waste Disposal and Management in Ghana. The Case of Kwabre East District». Faculty of Social Sciences, 2018
- Modern public management (Master’s programme; Faculty of Social Sciences; programme "Population and Development"; 1 year, 3, 4 module)Eng
- Research Seminar (Bachelor’s programme; Faculty of Social Sciences; programme "Public Administration"; 2 year, 3, 4 module)Eng
- Theory and Practice of Public Administration (Master’s programme; Faculty of Social Sciences; programme "Population and Development"; 1 year, 1, 2 module)Eng
- Modern public management (Master’s programme; Faculty of Social Sciences; 1 year, 3, 4 module)Eng
- Research Seminar (Bachelor’s programme; Faculty of Social Sciences; 2 year, 3, 4 module)Eng
- Theory and Practice of Public Administration (Master’s programme; Faculty of Social Sciences; 1 year, 1, 2 module)Eng
- Book Das farbenreiche Mosaik: Vom falschen Demetrius bis zur Berliner russischsprachigen Community. Sammelband der III. wissenschaftlich-praktischen Konferenz »Welt und Wissenschaft« am 19. April 2017 an der National Research University Higher School of Economics in Moskau / Ed. by T. Jaekel, Y. V. Pasko, E. Uspenskaya, I. Baecker, M. Beisswenger, A. Dreut, P. V. Rezvykh, C. Fröhlich. M. : , 2018.
- Chapter Jaekel T., Pasko Y. V. Das farbenreiche Mosaik: Vorwort, in: Das farbenreiche Mosaik: Vom falschen Demetrius bis zur Berliner russischsprachigen Community. Sammelband der III. wissenschaftlich-praktischen Konferenz »Welt und Wissenschaft« am 19. April 2017 an der National Research University Higher School of Economics in Moskau / Ed. by T. Jaekel, Y. V. Pasko, E. Uspenskaya, I. Baecker, M. Beisswenger, A. Dreut, P. V. Rezvykh, C. Fröhlich. M. : , 2018. P. 6-9.
- Article Jaekel T., Borshchevskiy G. A. Who wants to work in bureaucracy? Career intentions of post-millennial students // Teaching Public Administration, Country: United States, Publisher: SAGE Publications Inc.. 2018. P. 1-25. doi (in press)
- Preprint Jaekel T. Innovative behavior of Russian civil servants / NRU HSE. Series WP BRP Series "Public and Social Policy". 2017. No. WP BRP 09/PSP/2017.
- Preprint Jaekel T. Modern Sports-for-All Policy: An International Comparison of Policy Goals and Models of Service Delivery / NRU HSE. Series WP BRP Series / PSP "Public and Social Policy". 2017. No. WP BRP 04/PSP/2017.
- Preprint Jaekel T., Borshchevskiy G. Occupational Intention of Public Administration Undergraduates / NRU HSE. Series WP BRP Series "Public and Social Policy". 2017. No. WP BRP 07/PSP/2017.
- Preprint Jaekel T. Peer Review in Public Sector Organizations: A General Model and Empirical Evidence from a Survival Analysis / NRU HSE. Series WP BRP Series "Public and Social Policy". 2017. No. WP BRP 05/PSP/2017.
- Article Екель Т., Борщевский Г. А. Профессионально-мотивационные установки студентов в сфере государственной службы // Социология образования. 2017. Т. 2. С. 90-105.
- Chapter Jaekel T. Performance Benchmarking in German Local Government, in: A Comparative Study of Sino-German Administrative System Reform. Beijing : People's Publishing House, 2014. P. 289-303.
- Chapter Kuhlmann S., Jaekel T. Why does performance benchmarking vary? Evidence from European local government, in: Benchmarking for improvement. L. : Society of Local Authority Chief Executives and Senior Managers (SOLACE) Foundation Imprint, 2014. P. 40-42.
- Article Jaekel T., Kuhlmann S. Competing, collaborating or controlling? Comparing benchmarking in European local government // Public Money & Management. 2013. Vol. 33. No. 4. P. 269-276. doi
- Article Jaekel T., Kuhlmann S. Lernen von den Besten? Steuerung und Nutzung von Leistungsvergleichen in europäischen Verwaltungen // der moderne staat – Zeitschrift für Public Policy, Recht und Management. 2013. P. 141-160.
- Preprint Jaekel T. Wer vergleicht seine Leistung, wenn er hohe Schulden hat? Empirische Evidenz aus den deutschen kreisfreien Städten / German Research Institute for Public Administration. Series FÖV Discussion Papers "FÖV Discussion Papers". 2013. No. 74.
- Chapter Jaekel T., Hoerisch F. Die Deregulierung von Arbeitsmärkten im OECD-Vergleich zwischen 1990 und 2005, in: Deutschland zwischen Reformstau und Veränderung: Ein Vergleich der Politik- und Handlungsfelder. Baden-Baden : Nomos, 2009. P. 83-104. doi
- Chapter Wagschal U., Wenzelburger G., Metz T., Jaekel T. Konsolidierungsstrategien der Bundesländer, in: Konsolidierungsstrategien der Bundesländer: Verantwortung für die Zukunft. Gutersloh : Bertelsmann Stiftung, 2009. P. 17-424.
After the conference is over it’s time to reflect on what this year has brought to plan for the participation in the next year’s event, and The HSE Look talked to several internationally recruited HSE faculty members about what they value most about participating in the April Conference and what topics and discussions they found most interesting this year.
If you are interested in attending a conference at HSE, there is always something going on. In fact, one of the University’s conferences aimed at young researchers is quite special, as it held neither in Russian nor in English, but in German. Less than half a month apart from HSE’s April Conference, the international conference Welt und Wissenschaft (‘World and Science’) was held for the 4th time. The HSE Looktalked to one of the organizers, Yulia Pasko, Associate Professor of the Department of German Language, about how they involve students and faculty in the development of this tight-knit academic community.
On September 22 'Living and Working in Russia' workshop welcomed new international faculty members to HSE.
On July 24, the results of the Best Teachers 2017 competition at HSE were announced, with more than 500 teachers from across the university being recognized by students, 80% of whom voted in this year’s competition. While the financial reward for recognition is certainly attractive, the teachers who won appreciated the support of students, as well as the opportunity to reflect on their careers and what has made them successful.
For foreign scholars who come to teach and conduct research at the Higher School of Economics, whether temporarily or on a permanent basis, Moscow, St. Petersburg and Nizhny Novgorod all provide a variety of interesting opportunities to enjoy a quality life. We spoke with several international scholars who now make these cities home about their experiences and the advice they would share with others who may be considering a move.
On October 10, the HSE School of Public Administration hosted its monthly discussion series. This month’s event is entitled ‘Stress Test for Public Finances – Policy-Responses to the Financial and Economic Crisis in the OECD’ and was led by Prof. Dr. Uwe Wagschal of the University of Freiburg (Germany). Professor Wagschal's talk focused on the consequences of massive monetary and fiscal stimulus for the public purse and will compare the fiscal packages in 28 OECD-countries aimed at combating an economic downturn following the collapse of Lehman Brothers in 2008.
Each year HSE welcomes new colleagues – Ph.D. holders from the world’s best universities – who join the university through the international recruiting programme. HSE continues the tradition of public lectures at HSE Day, and holds HSE Open Talks in English. Academics from all over the world representing the most diverse disciplines will discuss their research and talk with the public.
On October 15-16, an international conference ‘Public Service Innovation and the Delivery of Effective Public Services’ was held in Budapest. The event was organized by the National University of Public Service (Hungary) and the University of Edinburgh (Great Britain). S. Osborne and R. Carmen, two scholars renowned for their innovations in public administration, also took part in the event.
On 15-16 October the international conference Public Service Innovation and the Delivery of Effective Public Services was held in Budapest, organised by the National University of Public Service (Hungary) and the University of Edinburgh (UK). Participants includes leading scholars in the introduction of innovation into public management, such as Stephen Osborne and R. Carmen.
Dr. Tim Jaekel, Assistant Professor at the School of Public Administration at the Higher School of Economics in Moscow, holds a PhD in Political Science from Heidelberg University. Before joining HSE in 2015, he served as a postdoctoral research fellow at the German Research Institute for Public Administration in Speyer and as a teaching fellow at the German University of Administrative Sciences.
Russian students and teachers were not the only ones to actively participate in HSE Day on September 9; many foreigners who study or work at the university took part as well. Numerous activities enriching the celebration could be enjoyed without any knowledge of Russian — for example, Speed Dating, Dance Battle, and a variety of sporting events. However, some sites during the festival had a special English-language programme.
lectures will be delivered by HSE scholars at Gorky Park as part of HSE Day. Lectures will be delivered in both Russian and English.