Yaroslav I. Kuzminov
- Academic Supervisor
- Academic Supervisor:Center for Institutional Studies
- Focus Area Academic Supervisor:Institute of Education
- Member of the HSE Academic Council
- Yaroslav I. Kuzminov has been at HSE University since 1993.
According to the HSE Charter
Academic supervision of the University is carried out by the Academic supervisor who:
- Represents the University in other academic organizations;
- Initiates organization of large scientific and scientific and practical events at the University, including conferences;
- Participates in the realization of the University’s development programme;
- Presents an annual report to the University Academic Council on key results of the University’s academic activity and strategy for further development;
- Takes part in solving issues concerning the improvement of scientific, organizational and managerial activities of the University.
Education, Degrees and Academic Titles
- 1996Associate Professor
Candidate of Sciences* (PhD) in Economics
Lomonosov Moscow State University
According to the International Standard Classification of Education (ISCED) 2011, Candidate of Sciences belongs to ISCED level 8 - "doctoral or equivalent", together with PhD, DPhil, D.Lit, D.Sc, LL.D, Doctorate or similar. Candidate of Sciences allows its holders to reach the level of the Associate Professor.
Awards and Accomplishments
Special mention in HSE University Best Russian Research Paper Competition – 2021
Achievements and promotion
Order ‘For Merit for the Fatherland’, 2nd class (July 2021)
Letter of acknowledgment from Roscongress Foundation (June 2019)
Letter of acknowledgment from the President of Russia (December 2018)
Letter of acknowledgment from FIFA 2018 in Russia organizing committee (2018)
‘For Contribution to the Development of State Statistics’ Badge (September 2017)
Order ‘For Merit for the Fatherland’, 3rd class (May 2017)
Stolypin Medal, 2nd Class (April 2017)
Letter of acknowledgment from the President of Russia (December 2013)
Order ‘For Merit for the Fatherland’, 4th class (July 2012)
Letter of commendation from the Moscow City Committee for Public Affairs (April 2010)
Letter of acknowledgment from the President of Russia (April 2008)
Certificate of honour from the RF Government (December 2007)
Medal ‘For Strengthening Military Cooperation’ from the RF Ministry of Defense (May 2007)
Order of Honour (November 2002)
HSE University Award ‘Golden HSE’ (November 2001)
Letter of acknowledgment from the Higher School of Economics (December 1998)
Academic supervisor of dissertations for a Candidate of Science degree:
- Androuschak G.V. Socio-economic differentiation of borrowers as a factor in student loan system development in Russia, 2009
- Podkolzina E.A. Institutionalization of bankruptcy in Russia: incentives and behaviour of bankruptcy procedure participants, 2007
- Yudkevich M.M. Measurement costs and institutions of markets for credence goods, 2003
Publication productivity (total and over the last 5 years)
- Total number of papers – 66 (8)
- Number of papers in Q1-Q2 – 11 (2)
- Number of monographs (books) – 192 (86)
- Number of chapters in monographs (books) – 48 (4)
- Book Abdrakhmanova G., Vasilkovsky S., Vishnevskiy K., Gokhberg L., Demidkina O. V., Demyanova A., Kovaleva G. G., Kotsemir M. N., Kuznetsova I. A., Ozerova O. K., Polyakova V., Ryzhikova Z. A., Ratay T. V., Streltsova E., Utyatina K., Fridlyanova S., Schugal N. B. Digital economy: 2022 : Pocket data book / Ed. by L. Gokhberg, Y. I. Kuzminov, И. Н. Шаповал, М. В. Паршин, Н. С. Яцеленко. M. : National Research University Higher School of Economics, 2022. doi (in press)
- Book Ditkovsky K. A., Fridlyanova S., Gokhberg L., Kotsemir M. N., Kuznetsova I. A., Martynova S. V., Polyakova V., Ratay T. V., Repina A., Rosovetskaya L. A., Roud V., Sagieva G. S., Streltsova E., Tarasenko I. I. Science. Technology. Innovation: 2022: Pocket Data Book / Ed. by L. Gokhberg, Y. I. Kuzminov. M. : National Research University Higher School of Economics, 2022. doi
- Book Abdrakhmanova G., Vishnevskiy K., Gokhberg L., Demyanova A., Demidkina O. V., Kovaleva G. G., Kotsemir M. N., Kuznetsova I. A., Leven E., Ozerova O. K., Polyakova V., Ratay T. V., Ryzhikova Z. A., Streltsova E., Suslov A. B., Utyatina K., Fridlyanova S., Fursov K., Schugal N. B. Digital Economy: 2021: Pocket Data Book / Ed. by L. Gokhberg, E. Y. Kislyakov, Y. I. Kuzminov, M. Parshin, I. N. Shapoval. M. : HSE, 2021.
- Chapter Kuzminov Y. I., Fursov K., Gokhberg L., Zaichenko S. A., Meissner D. Incorporating Knowledge Triangle in University Management System: The Case of the Higher School of Economics, Russia, in: The Knowledge Triangle. Changing Higher Education and Research Management Paradigms / Ed. by D. Meissner, L. Gokhberg, Y. I. Kuzminov, M. Cervantes, S. Schwaag Serger. Switzerland : Springer, 2021. doi Ch. 8. P. 145-161. doi
- Chapter Meissner D., Gokhberg L., Kuzminov Y. I., Cervantes M., Schwaag Serger S. Knowledge Triangle Targeted Science, Technology and Innovation Policy, in: The Knowledge Triangle. Changing Higher Education and Research Management Paradigms / Ed. by D. Meissner, L. Gokhberg, Y. I. Kuzminov, M. Cervantes, S. Schwaag Serger. Switzerland : Springer, 2021. doi Ch. 1. P. 3-15. doi
- Book The Knowledge Triangle. Changing Higher Education and Research Management Paradigms / Ed. by D. Meissner, L. Gokhberg, Y. I. Kuzminov, M. Cervantes, S. Schwaag Serger. Switzerland : Springer, 2021. doi
- Book Abdrakhmanova G., Vishnevskiy K., Gokhberg L., Demyanova A., Kevesh M. A., Kovaleva G. G., Kotsemir M. N., Kuznetsova I. A., Ozerova O. K., Polyakova V., Ratay T. V., Ryzhikova Z. A., Streltsova E., Suslov A. B., Utyatina K., Fridlyanova S., Fursov K., Schugal N. B. Digital Economy: 2020: Pocket Data Book / Ed. by L. Gokhberg, E. Kislyakov, Y. I. Kuzminov, M. Sabelnikova. National Research University Higher School of Economics, 2020.
- Chapter Kuzminov Y. I., Sorokin P. S., Froumin I. How can education contribute to socioeconomic development? Rethinking Human Capital for the Labour Market of the future, in: Bologna Process beyond 2020: Fundamental Values of the EHEA. Bononia University Press, 2020. P. 85-91.
- Book Gokhberg L., Ditkovsky K. A., Lukinova E. I., Kotsemir M. N., Kuznetsova I. A., Martynova S. V., Polyakova V., Ratay T. V., Rosovetskaya L. A., Sagieva G. S., Streltsova E., Suslov A. B., Tarasenko I. I., Fridlyanova S., Fursov K. Science. Technology. Innovation: 2020: Pocket Data Book / Ed. by L. Gokhberg, Y. I. Kuzminov, A. Medvedev, M. Sabelnikova. National Research University Higher School of Economics, 2020.
- Book Abdrakhmanova G., Demyanova A., Dranev Y., Dyachenko E., Fridlyanova S., Fursov K., Gokhberg L., Kotsemir M. N., Kovaleva G. G., Kuznetsova I. A., Ratay T. V., Ryzhikova Z. A., Streltsova E., Vishnevskiy K. Digital Economy : Pocket Data Book / Ed. by L. Gokhberg, E. Kislyakov, Y. I. Kuzminov, M. Sabelnikova. M. : National Research University Higher School of Economics, 2019.
- Book Ditkovsky K. A., Fridlyanova S., Fursov K., Gokhberg L., Kuznetsova I. A., Kotsemir M. N., Lukinova E. I., Martynova S. V., Nefedova A., Ratay T. V., Rosovetskaya L. A., Sagieva G. S., Streltsova E., Suslov A. B., Tarasenko I. I. Science. Technology. Innovation: Pocket Data Book / Ed. by L. Gokhberg, Y. I. Kuzminov, A. Medvedev, M. Sabelnikova. M. : National Research University Higher School of Economics, 2019.
- Book Abankina I., Alashkevich M., Bolotov V., Dobryakova M. S., Dudyrev F., Froumin I., Koreshnikova Y., Korshunov I., Kosaretsky S., Mertsalova T., Odoevskaya E., Ovakimyan A., Platonova D., Semenov A., Semyonov D., Sergomanov P., Sorokin P. S., Uvarov A., Zinkovsky K. 12 Solutions for a New Education: Report by the Center for Strategic Research and the Higher School of Economics / Ed. by Y. I. Kuzminov, I. Froumin. M. : National Research University Higher School of Economics, 2018. doi
- Chapter Froumin I., Kuzminov Y. I. Common Legacy: Evolution of the Institutional Landscape of Soviet Higher Education, in: 25 Years of Transformations of Higher Education Systems in Post-Soviet Countries. Reform and Continuity / Ed. by J. Huisman, A. Smolentseva, I. Froumin. Palgrave Macmillan, 2018. doi P. 45-72. doi
- Chapter Froumin I., Kuzminov Y. I. Supply and Demand Patterns in Russian Higher Education, in: Higher Education in the BRICS Countries: Investigating the Pact between Higher Education and Society. Springer, 2015. P. 97-123.
- Article Kuzminov Y. I., Semenov D., Froumin I. The structure of the University network: From the Soviet to Russian "master Plan" // Russian Education and Society. 2015. Vol. 57. No. 4. P. 254-321. doi
- Article Froumin I., Kuzminov Y. I., Semyonov D. Institutional diversity in Russian higher education: revolutions and evolution // European Journal of Higher Education. 2014. Vol. 4. No. 3. P. 209-234.
- Book Gokhberg L., Zabaturina I. Y., Kovaleva N. V., Kuznetsova V. I., Ozerova O. K., Shuvalova O. R. Indicators of Education in the Russian Federation: Data Book / Ed. by L. Gokhberg, N. V. Kovaleva, Y. I. Kuzminov, I. Remorenko. M. : Higher School of Economics Publishing House, 2013.
- Book Fridlyanova S., Gokhberg L., Gorodnikova N., Gracheva G., Kouznetsova-Morenko I., Martynova S. V., Ratay T. V., Rosovetskaya L. A. Indicators of Innovation in the Russian Federation: Data Book / Отв. ред.: L. Gokhberg, Y. I. Kuzminov, K. Laykam, A. Naumov, A. K. Ponomarev, Z. A. Ryzhikova. M. : Higher School of Economics Publishing House, 2013.
- Book Abdrakhmanova G., Fridlyanova S., Gokhberg L., Kevesh M. A., Kuznetsova I. A., Kovaleva G. G., Lola I. S., Nechaeva E. G., Ostapkovich G. V., Shuvalova O. R. Information Society Indicators in the Russian Federation: Data Book / Ed. by L. Gokhberg, Y. I. Kuzminov, K. Laykam, I. Massoukh. M. : Higher School of Economics Publishing House, 2013.
- Book Fridlyanova S., Fursov K., Gokhberg L., Gorodnikova N., Gracheva G., Khramova E. B., Kirchyk O., Kouznetsova-Morenko I., Martynova S. V., Ratay T. V., Rosovetskaya L. A., Ryzhikova Z. A., Sagieva G. S., Shuvalova O. R. Science and Technology Indicators in the Russian Federation: Data Book / Ed. by A. Anopchenko, L. Gokhberg, Y. I. Kuzminov, K. Laykam. M. : Higher School of Economics Publishing House, 2013.
- Book Fridlyanova S., Belousova V., Fursov K., Gokhberg L., Gorodnikova N., Gracheva G., Khramova E. B., Kuznetsova I. A., Kovaleva G. G., Markova Y., Martynova S. V., Ratay T. V., Rosovetskaya L. A., Sagieva G. S., Studentsova E. Science and Technology. Innovation. Information Society: Pocket Data Book (2013) / Ed. by L. Gokhberg, I. Fedyukin, Y. I. Kuzminov, K. Laykam. M. : SU HSE Publishing House, 2013.
- Book The Global Future of Higher Education and the Academic Profession: The BRICs and the United States / Ed. by P. G. Altbach, L. Reisberg, M. M. Yudkevich, G. Androuschak, Y. I. Kuzminov. Palgrave Macmillan, 2013.
- Chapter Kuzminov Y. I. Academic Community and Contracts: Modern Challenges and Response, in: Paying the Professoriate: A Global Comparison of Compensation and Contracts / Ed. by P. G. Altbach, L. Reisberg, M. M. Yudkevich, G. Androuschak, I. Pacheco. L. : Routledge, 2012. P. 331-341.
- Book Fridlyanova S., Gokhberg L., Gorodnikova N., Gracheva G., Kuznetsova I. A., Martynova S. V., Ratay T. V., Rosovetskaya L. A. Indicators of Innovation in the Russian Federation: Data Book / Отв. ред.: L. Gokhberg, Y. I. Kuzminov, K. Laykam, A. Naumov, A. K. Ponomarev, Z. A. Ryzhikova. M. : Higher School of Economics Publishing House, 2012.
- Book Fridlyanova S., Fursov K., Gokhberg L., Gorodnikova N., Gracheva G., Khramova E. B., Kirchyk O., Kuznetsova I. A., Martynova S. V., Ratay T. V., Rosovetskaya L. A., Ryzhikova Z. A., Sagieva G. S., Shuvalova O. R. Science and Technology Indicators in the Russian Federation: Data Book / Ed. by A. Anopchenko, L. Gokhberg, Y. I. Kuzminov, K. Laykam. M. : Higher School of Economics Publishing House, 2012.
- Book Gokhberg L., Kovaleva N. V., Ozerova O. K., Shuvalova O. R., Zabaturina I. Y., Kuznetsova V. I., Remorenko I. Indicators of Education in the Russian Federation: Data Book / Ed. by L. Gokhberg, Y. I. Kuzminov, N. V. Kovaleva, I. Remorenko. M. : Higher School of Economics Publishing House, 2011.
- Article Kuzminov Y. I., Remorenko I., Rudnik B., Froumin I., Jakobson L. I., Volkov A. Russian Education in 2020: a Model of Education for Innovative Economy. Material for Discussion // Issues in Education. 2008. No. 1. P. 32-64.
- Preprint Kuzminov Y. I., Yudkevich M. M. Academic Freedom and University Standards for Teaching and Research / NRU Higher School of Economics. Series WP10 "Научные доклады Института институциональных исследований". 2007. No. 01.
- Article Kuzminov Y. I., Nikitin A. Optimizing the relationship between oil exporters and government // World Bank. Knowledge Economy. Theme D: Russia. 2005
- Article Prostakov I., Ananyin O. I., Kuzminov Y. I., Korolkov M. P. Economic reform: Institutional and structural aspects // Problems of Economic Transition. 1993. Vol. 36. No. 7. P. 52-65.
- Member of the Russian Presidential Commission for Civil Service and Management Personnel Pool;
- Member of the Russian Presidential National Council for Professional Qualifications; head of the Working group on the Development of Professional Education and Training in the National Qualification System;
- Member of the Russian State Council Committee on Science;
- Coordinator of the Expert Council of the Government of the Russian Federation;
- Member of the Governmental Committee on Administrative Reform;
- Member of the Project Committee of the ‘Science and Universities’ national project;
- Deputy Chair of the Legislative Council of the State Duma of the Russian Federation;
- Member of the Council on Federal State Educational Standards of General Education and Secondary Vocational Education under the Ministry of Education of the Russian Federation;
- Member of the Board of the Ministry of Education of the Russian Federation;
- Member of the Board of Directors of TMK;
- Member of the Board of Directors of Aeroflot;
- Member of the Board of Directors of Sistema Public Joint Stock Financial Corporation;
- Member of the Board of Trustees of the Russian Academy of Education;
- Member of the Tatarstan Presidential Council for Education and Science.
Academic Supervisor of HSE University
From 1992 to 2021, Rector of National Research University Higher School of Economics (HSE University)
Graduated with a degree in Economics from Lomonosov Moscow State University
From 1979 until 1989, Yaroslav Kuzminov lectured in the Department of Economic Theory and History of Economic Thought at Moscow State University. Later, from 1989 until 1993, he worked as a researcher at the Institute of Economics, Russian Academy of Sciences.
In 1992, Dr. Kuzminov, in cooperation with Prof. Evgeny Yasin, proposed the establishment of a new type of institution of higher education — the Higher School of Economics — to the Russian Government. And thus, he became the youngest rector of a state university in the Russian Federation.
At present, Yaroslav Kuzminov is a Professor, Head of the Department of Institutional Economics, and Academic Supervisor of the HSE Center for Institutional Studies (CInSt).Dr. Kuzminov is the author of more than 50 academic works published in Russia and abroad, as well as the co-author of over 10 monographs and textbooks on such subjects as institutional economics, economics of education and institutional reforms. He also is the Editor-in-Chief of the journal Voprosy Obrazovania (Journal of Educational Studies) and member of the editorial boards at Voprosy Ekonomiki, the HSE Economic Journal, Foresight and STI Governance, and Mir Rossii (World of Russia).
In 1989, Yaroslav Kuzminov founded the Istoki (Sources) almanac, the first periodical about economic history and economic institutions in Russia.He also took part in the development of proposals for Russia’s socio-economic policy for the period up until 2020, under the name ‘Strategy 2020’. Through this project, Dr. Kuzminov headed the expert group ‘Labor Market, Professional Education and Migration Policy’ (2012).
In 2002, Dr. Kuzminov was awarded with the Order of Honour by the Decree of the President of the Russian Federation. In 2003, the French Government made Dr. Kuzminov an Officer of the Ordre des Palmes Académiques (Order of Academic Palms). In 2009, he was awarded the International Leiontief Award ‘for achievements in the organization and radical modernization of economic education in Russia’. He has also received the following awards: ‘Order For Merit for the Fatherland’, 4th Class, by Russian President Vladimir Putin (2012); Acknowledgement from the Russian President (2013); Stolypin Medal, 2nd Class (2017); ‘Order For Merit for the Fatherland’, 3rd Class (2017); Badge ‘For Contribution to the Development of State Statistics’ (2017); Acknowledgement from the Russian President (2018); and Honorary Badge ‘Moscow State Duma. 25th Anniversary’ (2019).
Maria Turaeva, Assistant
Anastasia Glazko, Secretary
Olesya Yaremenko, Secretary
Phone: +7 (495) 771-32-23;
Internal phone: 28-807;
Fax: +7 (495) 628-86-06;
20 Myasnitskaya Ulitsa, Room M20-303, Moscow
Head of the Office
Coordinating media relations and the Academic Supervisor's participation in media events, preparation of information materials (press releases, announcements, memos).
Meetings on private matters:
Yulia Frantsuzova, Head of Academic Supervisor's Office
(on work days)
Assistants and Advisers
Daria Asaturian, Assistant
Coordination of support for the Academic Supervisor’s activities in relation to expert and analytical work, applied research and sociological research.
Providing support for the activities of the Expert Council of the Government of the Russian Federation:
Roman Nikishin, Head of the Office of the Expert Council of the Government of the Russian Federation
Tatyana Timkova, Advisor
Marat Zembatov, Advisor
Maria Komkova, Assistant
HSE University’s strategic projects under the ‘Priority 2030’ programme:
Vera Vishnyakova, Advisor
Information and analytical support for the Academic Supervisor’s activities related to HSE University’s Strategic Projects under the ‘Priority 2030’ Programme; ensuring effective implementation of regular joint seminars of HSE Strategic Projects; coordinating the development and launch of HSE Strategic Projects’ websites; organisational support for the Academic Supervisor’s participation in the activities of the Yasin (April) International Academic Conference Programme Committee.
Ekaterina Kruchinskaia, Assistant
Assisting with the provision of information and analytical support for the Academic Supervisor’s activities related to HSE University’s Strategic Projects under the ‘Priority 2030’ Programme.
Public SME activitiy:
Elena Metelkova, Adviser
Coordinating and providing expert, analytical, and organizational support for the Academic Supervisor’s participation in the following:
- Project Committee and Public Expert Council on the ‘Science and Universities’ national project;
- National Council under the Russian President on professional qualifications and the Working Group on professional education and learning in the national system of qualifications;
- Science Committee of the State Council of the Russian Federation;
- Russian Ministry of Education Council on federal state educational standards of general education and secondary vocational education;
- Russian Ministry of Science and Higher Education Council on federal state educational standards of higher education;
- Working group on the implementation of the ‘regulatory guillotine’ in education;
- Supervisory board of the Russian Academy of Education.
Business community relations:
Olga Ivantsova, Advisor
Preparing analytical materials related to Academic Supervisor's relations with the business community.
HSE University academics held a discussion with Maxim Oreshkin, presidential aide and graduate of the HSE University, as part of theXXIII Yasin (April) International Academic Conference. They talked about the current socioeconomic situation and the future of Russia's development. The discussion was moderated by HSE Academic SupervisorYaroslav Kuzminov.
From April 5–22, 2002, the XXIII Yasin (April) International Academic Conference on Economic and Social Development will be held in Moscow. Its participants include leading scientists and experts, representatives from the business community, politicians and leaders of state bodies. Over 700 papers will be presented at the Conference and discussed in almost 150 sessions and 24 sections.
In his interview for the HSE LooK, Evgenii A. Krouk, the Acting Director of HSE Tikhonov Moscow Institute of Electronics and Mathematics, talks about the distinctive features that set the institute apart, the place of project-based learning on the curriculum, research areas with the highest potential, and his vision for HSE MIEM future development.
Higher education has special value in the dynamically changing world of highly competitive labour markets. Employers care not only about diplomas, but also about the quality and relevance of the knowledge and skills gained from university. Online learning has become ‘the new normal’ in education—a minimum prerequisite. These issues were discussed by experts during the eLearning Stakeholders and Researchers Summit (eSTARS 2021) organised by HSE University in cooperation with Coursera.
eSTARS 2021, an international online conference organized by HSE University in partnership with Coursera, has taken place for the fourth time, attracting more than 1,300 participants from about 50 countries. Participants included education administrators, academic leaders, and representatives of leading EdTech companies. The conference featured about 100 research presentations.
On December 1st and 2nd, 2021, the eLearning Stakeholders and Researchers Summit (eSTARS 2021), an international online conference organized by HSE University in partnership with Coursera, will take place. eSTARS will discuss pressing issues facing universities today in the context of the growing interdependence of digital technology, the economy and education.
HSE University has won in a joint nomination by the Quacquarelli Symonds (QS) international rankings agency and the company Elsevier. The award was presented as part of the forum ‘Development Trends in the Social Sciences and Humanities: Global Challenges and Best Russian Practices’ hosted by the State Academic University for the Humanities. Irina Karelina, Senior Director for Strategic Planning at HSE University, accepted the award and noted that the university’s success is largely down to its consistent personnel and research policies, as well as its support for young people.
Sergey Kadochnikov, Director of HSE in St. Petersburg since 2013, has announced his plans to leave his current position. Anna Tyshetskaya, current Vice Rector for Education at Immanuel Kant Baltic Federal University, will take over as Director of HSE University’s campus in St. Petersburg. Elena Odoevskaya and Irina Martusevich will be appointed HSE Vice Rectors.
‘The Expertise of Members of IAC Will Be Instrumental in the Continuing Development of the University’
On October 5, HSE University’s International Advisory Committee held an online session. Yaroslav Kuzminov, HSE University Academic Supervisor, introduced the new leadership structure of the University and Rector Nikita Anisimov spoke about his vision for HSE University’s development. Meeting participants discussed various aspects of the University strategy.
Why Politicians Don't Listen to Economists: First Meeting of Economic Policy Club Takes Place at HSE University
Participants of the HSE Economic Policy Club discussed why politics often serves the interests of a small group of people to the detriment of the welfare of the majority of citizens, and also why the government ignores recommendations from economists. At the same time, economic policy always redistributes resources, and it isn’t possible to achieve the optimal solutions suggested by economic theory.
HSE University's English-language newsletter, HSE LooK, has talked to Anna Blyakhman, Director of the HSE Nizhny Novgorod campus, about the history of the campus, its most noteworthy achievements, and future plans.
This summer, the HSE Centre for the History and Sociology of World War II and Its Consequences was reorganized to become the HSE Institute for Advanced Soviet and Post-Soviet Studies. Oleg Budnitskii, Doctor of Historical Sciences, head of the Centre and director of the Institute, talked to the HSE News Service about the new division.
On August 12, the Territory of Ideas all-Russia youth education forum will come to a close in the town of Solnechnogorsk in the Moscow region. HSE Rector Nikita Anisimov spoke at the fifth session of the forum, declaring this year’s admissions campaign to be the most successful in the university’s history.
Nikita Anisimov has held his first meeting of the Board of Tenured Professors as HSE University Rector. HSE Academic Supervisor Yaroslav Kuzminov also participated in the event. They told the board members that the university’s development priorities remain the same, while the professors expressed their commitment to helping the new administration. They also discussed the renewal of the board, by including representatives of different research fields and young scholars from all HSE campuses.
‘In Many Cases, We Are Falling Behind not by Years, but by Orders of Magnitude’: HSE Experts Suggest Ways to Speed Up Russia’s Technological Development
Yaroslav Kuzminov, HSE Academic Supervisor, and Leonid Gokhberg, First HSE Vice Rector, spoke at an expert meeting with Dmitry Medvedev, Deputy Chair of the Security Council of the Russian Federation, on issues of Russia’s technological development. They outlined the current state of research and development and offered suggestions on how to gear the economy towards innovation.
Nikita Anisimov was appointed Rector of HSE University early this July. In his address to HSE students and staff, he talks about his first working week, his short- and long-term plans, and the university’s vaccination efforts.
‘I Have Worked at Four Universities and Can Say That Student Self-Governance at HSE University Is the Best’
Rector Anisimov met with the HSE Student Council
On July 2, Mr Anisimov was introduced to the HSE Academic Council at its meeting at HSE campus in Pokrovka. Valery Falkov, Minister of Science and Higher Education of the Russian Federation, Yaroslav Kuzminov, HSE University Academic Supervisor, and HSE University President Alexander Shokhin took part in the meeting.
Message to the University community
‘We Are Competing for the Best Scholars and We Don’t Want Our New Colleagues to Rest on Their Heels’
At the meeting of the Rector’s Council on June 23, seven issues were considered, including the vaccination of staff and students, postgraduate and dissertation councils, the development of a Continuing Professional Development (CPD) programme at the University, and the HSE library. Members of the Rector’s Council additionally discussed the regulations on the organisation of training concerning MicroDegree-granting programmes.
Several representatives of HSE University took part in the seventh Times Higher Education Young Universities Summit, organized jointly with HSE University on June 22-23 and held entirely online. The Summit focused on the global outlook for higher education and opportunities for new growth for young universities.
Phil Baty, Chief Knowledge Officer of Times Higher Education, and Yaroslav Kuzminov, HSE University Rector, delivered opening remarks.
Times Higher Education Young Universities Summit to Take Place in Partnership with a Russian University for the First Time
From June 22-23, the virtual Times Higher Education Young Universities Summit, jointly organized with HSE University, will take place. This marks the first time that the summit will be conducted with support from a Russian university. The choice of HSE is no coincidence: it is the only Russian university in the Top 50 of THE Young University Ranking.
HSE University’s administration is determined to prevent the lowering of grading standards for students’ academic performance. Teachers will be receiving new grading guidelines in the next two weeks. The proposed grading criteria will become mandatory for all courses. Other measures are planned as well. The list of such measures was discussed by the Rector’s Council on June 15.
Less than a year ago, the Faculty of Humanities at HSE University launched four large-scale projects, bringing together representatives of different disciplines from different departments and campuses of the University. Their goals, content, staffing and expected results were presented at a meeting of the Rector’s Council. Other departments have been tasked with developing their own large-scale projects, which HSE University will be able to include in its application for the ‘Priority 2030’ programme.
The results of the competition for the best academic and popular science papers in Russian by HSE staff members have been announced. This competition is a new one, organized by the university to celebrate the Year of Science and Technology. 257 applications were submitted, with 35 winners announced in the academic category and 30 in the popular science one. The winners were announced on Alexander Pushkin’s birthday. The organizers plan to make the competition annual, potentially opening it up for all Russian and international researchers writing papers and involved in science communication in Russian.
At the St Petersburg International Economic Forum (SPIEF), HSE University signed Memoranda of Understanding with the University of Qatar and Hamad Bin Khalifa University. The agreements aim to strengthen the scientific potential of the universities and develop projects in teaching and research. In addition, HSE representatives took part in expert discussions at the Qatar National Pavilion at SPIEF.
The Telling Stories festival, organised by the Faculty of Communications, Media, and Design, has come to an end at HSE University. During two days, anyone could attend open lectures, discussions, master classes, performances, concerts, exhibitions, and screenings. Experts discussed the state of creative industries and tried to outline an image of the future by understanding the main challenges, prospects, and anxieties it presents.
Educational Studies, an academic journal founded by HSE University in 2004, has become the first Russian journal to enter the first quartile in Education in Scopus. This success relies on high requirements and thorough selection of publications, when the editorial board tries to select not just good papers, but particularly innovative studies.
On April 28, Elena Iarskaia-Smirnova, Head of the International Laboratory for Social Integration Research, presented a report on the main areas of activity and prospects for the development of the laboratory at a meeting with the Chancellor of the National Research University Higher School of Economics Yaroslav Kuzminov, the Vice-Chancellor and Director of the Institute of Social Policy Lilia Ovcharova, the Vice-Chancellor and Director of the Institute of Applied Political Research Valeria Kasamara, attended the discussion. Participants discussed the main areas of research and key research and partnership projects of the ILSIR and other research institutions of the Faculty of Social Sciences.
On April 30, the XXII April International Academic Conference on Economic and Social Development came to a close. This year it was organized jointly by HSE University and Sberbank, and the majority of the events were held online. HSE Vice President and Conference Programme Committee Deputy Chair Lev Yakobson spoke with HSE News Service about his initial takeaways from the event and its new format.
HSE University is renting a 27-storey block of a new apartment complex, Level Amurskaya, located in the Golyanovo District of Moscow. Only university students will be accommodated in the building, and they will have their choice of renting a single studio or a shared apartment. This agreement is another step towards HSE's transition to a service model for accommodating nonresident and foreign students as part of the University Development Program until 2030.
A meeting room, a presentation hall, a quiet zone for individual study, areas for discussing group projects—the new space will become the main attraction for all those who study at the HSE building on Staraya Basmannaya. HSE News Service attended the coworking opening ceremony and learned whether it is possible to sleep there, where HSE’s psychological hub is located, whether Mikhail Boytsov’s ID card works, and what students think about the new place.
The HSE University Supervisory Council chaired by Sergey Kiriyenko, First Deputy Chief of Staff of the Presidential Administration of the Russian Federation, gathered for its first on-site meeting after the start of the pandemic.
HSE University has expanded its presence in the top 50 of QS subject rankings, placing in two additional subject rankings. HSE is represented in 4 of the 5 broad subject areas ranked by QS, and it has significantly improved its performance from last year in almost half of the individual subjects rankings in which it is included.
In a TASS interview, Rector Kuzminov discusses digitalization, society, and what the next 10 years hold for HSE
HSE faculty and staff on Sputnik V, Russia’s first vaccine against COVID-19
On January 14, at the 2021 Gaidar Forum, which was held at the Russian Presidential Academy of National Economy and Public Administration (RANEPA), HSE University Rector Yaroslav Kuzminov and leaders of three other institutions signed an agreement to establish the Human Capital Multidisciplinary Research Center (HCMRC). The other co-signers were RANEPA Rector Vladimir Mau, MGIMO University Rector Anatoly Torkunov, and Dmitry Funk, Director of the N.N. Miklukho-Maclay Institute of Ethnology and Anthropology of the Russian Academy of Sciences. The Center will focus on that key areas of human capital studies that are of current global importance.
The Global Energy Association awards outstanding Russian scholars for their contributions to the development of the national power engineering industry on their professional holiday – national Power Engineers’ Day. Professor Viktor Maslov, a RAS member, Doctor of Sciences (Physics and Math), and MIEM Research Professor, has become the first winner of the Honorary Diploma from the Association ‘for his fundamental contributions to upholding nuclear power safety’.
Among the wide range of issues considered at the VII global conference on new educational technologies, EdCrunch On Demand, two topics were highlighted: the development of the education system during the pandemic and the further improvement of the competitiveness of Russian higher education. Conference participants concluded that the future of education lies in a combination of online and offline studies, that it is necessary to invest in different types of universities, and that universities will have to compete with start-ups and large corporations.
The 2020 eSTARS conference, organized by HSE University in partnership with the global educational platform Coursera, has commenced. For the first time in its history, the event is being held entirely online. At the plenary session and the first panel session, representatives of the world's leading universities, their associations, and educational platforms spoke about the role of digitalization in the development of higher education, the impact of the pandemic on education, and new approaches to how teachers and students can interact.
Today, we need a coordinated agenda in order to understand how to develop a comfortable and safe technological environment and make the consequences of rapid technological development forecastable and manageable. This is what HSE Rector Yaroslav Kuzminov said at the National Academic Online Conference ‘Ethical and Legal Issues of Digital Transformation: From Conflict to Harmony?’
Jointly organized by HSE University and Coursera, the international eLearning Stakeholders and Researchers Summit (eSTARS 2020) will be held from December 1 – 2, 2020. It will be the third time the organizers bring together international stakeholders from governments, the academic community, busines, as well as researchers and experts to discuss the present and future of online education.
Yaroslav Kuzminov: A University That Learns — Three Missions and Three Pillars of a Modern University
A university in the modern world cannot remain an ‘isolated entity’ that focuses on education and scientific activity. Through public projects and initiatives, it has a significant impact on the development of both the country as a whole and its regions. This activity, which includes volunteering, charity, social support for students, and the transmission of knowledge to engaged citizens, has become known as the ‘third mission’.Yaroslav Kuzminov, Rector of HSE University, has published an opinion piece about the University’s ‘third mission’ in the VTimes.
What lies at the core of the European integration? What motto keeps Europe alive? Has European model become outdated and is it capable of adapting to the changing reality? These and other questions were the focus of the online talk delivered by Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of the Federal Republic of Germany to the Russian Federation Géza Andreas von Geyr at the invitation of HSE University. The lecture was attended by students, scholars, and members of the press from around the world.
What new opportunities does the pandemic present? How have Russian and international companies adapted? Will remote work continue? What skills will be in demand due to the transformation of the labour market? On November 12, HSE University Rector Yaroslav Kuzminov discussed these questions in his talk, ‘Digitalism and the Pandemic Are Coming: Consequences for the Labour Market and Corporate Culture’ at the TMK Horizons International Forum.
On September 13, 2020, the HSE University campus in Nizhny Novgorod turned 24 years. The grand opening of the campus back then was attended by Evgeny Yasin, Minister of Economy of the Russian Federation and HSE Academic Supervisor, and Boris Nemtsov, Governor of Nizhny Novgorod Oblast. This was the first HSE campus outside Moscow, and kickstarted the university’s spatial expansion.
What are the hallmarks of future-proof education? How do minors benefit students? How will people interact with machines? These were some of the topics that HSE Rector and IOE Academic Supervisor, Yaroslav Kuzminov addressed in a recent conversation with Elena Bunina, General Director at Yandex Russia.
What should an undergraduate education entail? How do the minors benefit students? How will people interact with machines? These were some of the questions discussed by HSE Rector Yaroslav Kuzminov and Elana Bunina, Yandex General Director in Russia, in a conversation about future professions at HSE Day.
HSE University Rector Yaroslav Kuzminov has welcomed first year students to HSE University. He told the newly enrolled students about the importance of wearing masks on campus, the autumn flu vaccination, as well as important changes in the educational process. The rector also congratulated them on starting their student life at HSE University.
Project work in the Faculty of Humanities can be divided into three categories of varying scale. Megaprojects bring together employees of different HSE faculties and campuses; projects bring together employees at the faculty level; and more localized projects, which have been tentatively defined as initiative projects, are implemented by teams on an initiative basis. This project work structure and other issues were discussed on Wednesday, July 29 at a meeting of the HSE University administration.
‘The Central Role of Communication in Education Is Not Going Anywhere’: HSE Rector on the Revolution in Higher Education, the Prestige of Russian Education, and the Outcomes of the Pandemic
In an interview with Forbes, HSE University Rector Yaroslav Kuzminov discussed the digitalization of education and what he thinks the future holds in store for universities. Below is an abridged translation of the interview. The full-length interview in Russian is available on the Forbes website.
The HSE University administration has approved proposed structural changes to the Faculty of Law and the Faculty of the Humanities. The changes will streamline managerial processes and better facilitate the faculties’ pursuit of research and educational objectives. The changes will take effect at the start of new academic year on September 1, 2020.
HSE University has taken 41st place, becoming the only Russian university on the Top 50 of the Times Higher Education Young University Rankings.
HSE University took 31st place in the QS Top 50 Under 50 Ranking, climbing seven places, even in the face of the growing competition in the higher tier of this ranking.
HSE University took 298th place in the 2021 QS World University Rankings, improving its ranking by 24 positions compared to last year and entering the first quartile of the world’s leading universities. HSE University now ranks among the world’s top 300 universities in two international rankings: the Quacquarelli Symonds World University Rankings and the Times Higher Education World University Rankings.
With five hours of networking, 22 ‘video guest halls’, and over 800 visitors from 16 countries, this year’s MIEM TechnoShow was a spectacular online exhibition. Attendees could visit various ‘rooms’ to see the projects MIEM students had been working on this past academic year.
The HSE University International Advisory Committee met online on May 19 to discuss the proposed Codes of Conduct for faculty and students, as well as assess the university’s transition to online learning.
What does the post-COVID future have in store for museums, universities, and the media? Does big data protect us or pose a threat? What are the prospects for fashion shows, cinema, and theaters? How are different generations experiencing the pandemic? These and other issues were discussed at the annual festival of communications, design, and media.
HSE experts participated in the first international online forum, ‘The World, Post-Coronavirus: A View from the Heart of Eurasia’, which was held on April 28 in Ufa on the initiative of the Bashkortostan government. Scholars, businessmen, and politicians from different countries discussed threats, opportunities, and solutions for the economy and the social sphere.
An online discussion on the topic of ‘New Higher Education: After the Period of Compulsory Remote Operation’ was held on April 27 as part of the Moscow International Education Fair MIEF-2020. The discussants included Dmitry Afanasiev, Russia’s Deputy Minister of Science and Higher Education; Vladimir Mau, Rector of RANEPA; and Yaroslav Kuzminov, Rector of HSE University.
This pocket data book contains the main S&T and innovation indicators for the Russian Federation. The publication includes the most recent statistical data on R&D input and output, as well as international comparisons.
All HSE students and graduate students will have the week from March 28 to April 5, 2020, off. HSE Rector Yaroslav Kuzminov has signed the relevant order.
In an op-ed for RB K, HSE Rector Yaroslav Kuzminov laid out his predictions about the changes that await us in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic: on-site office workers will be reduced by a third, retail business will go completely digital, and both healthcare and education will undergo a radical overhaul.
‘The Level of Collectivism and the Potential for Mutual Assistance in the University Community Are Very High’
HSE University has found it easier than other universities to adapt to the current situation under the pandemic and transition to online education. On March 25, at a press conference at TASS, Russia’s largest news agency, HSE Rector Yaroslav Kuzminov spoke about the transition and shared his predictions about what the near future holds for education development.
On March 23, the working group of the Russian Ministry of Science and Higher Education devoted to university education met again to discuss how education should be organized as Russia seeks to prevent the spread of COVID-19. In particular, the group discussed tactics involving volunteerism on university campuses, examples from universities abroad, and developing student questionnaires in order to pinpoint the issues that Russian universities have encountered in their transition to distance learning.
The second meeting of the Board of Trustees of the HSE University’s Faculty of Computer Science took place on March 12. Elena Bunina, Deputy Chair of the Board, CEO of Yandex, presided over the meeting.
The second meeting of the Board of Trustees of the HSE University’s Faculty of Computer Science took place on March 12. Elena Bunina, Deputy Chair of the Board, CEO of Yandex, presided over the meeting.
In a new RAEX Analytics ranking that evaluates Russian universities in terms of their societal influence, HSE took third place, leading the list in terms of popularity among young people and taking second place in terms of online influence.
HSE University Rector Yaroslav Kuzminov and HSE alumnus Vladimir Potapov, CEO of VTB Capital Investment, have opened a student co-working space at MIEM HSE on Tallinskaya Ulitsa.
HSE University and Russia’s Federal State Statistics Service (Rosstat) will organize working groups on issues related to statistical accounting and implement several joint research projects. On February 28, HSE Rector Yaroslav Kuzminov and Rosstat Head Pavel Malkov signed a roadmap outlining the planned bilateral cooperation.
On January 16, HSE Rector Yaroslav Kuzminov spoke at the expert panel, ‘Digital Revolution in Education and New Training Technologies’, at the 2020 Gaidar Forum, ‘Russia and the World: Challenges of the New Decade’, which was held at the Russian Presidential Academy of National Economy and Public Administration (RANEPA).
The HSE Look is glad to present the second part of the interview with Rector Yaroslav Kuzminov, originally taken by our flagship bulletin Okna Rosta. This part focuses on new educational tools as well as old traditions, on cooperation with regional universities and the transformations to be achieved in the upcoming decade.
The best features of the university model created by HSE over the years will be preserved, but a new model is essential for further development. This new model will focus on project-based learning for all students, as well as the digital transformation in the field of education.
The parties agreed to cooperate on issues related to the improvement of legislation and law enforcement practices in an area that is the subject of research activity at HSE University.
On December 12, heads of missions and embassy representatives from over forty countries gathered in Moscow for HSE University Day for Diplomatic Missions. The event, which was held at HSE’s newly renovated Pokrovka campus, was aimed at fostering further cooperation between HSE and its international partners.
Okna Rosta, HSE University's bulletin, published a two-part interview with Rector Yaroslav Kuzminov about HSE’s Development Strategy this fall, and The HSE Look is glad to present it to our English-speaking audience as well.
Researchers and diplomats from 35 countries and eight Russian regional universities gathered at HSE University to discuss globalization in Asia and how it differs from what is taking place in Europe.
Initiated in 2013, the Russian federal initiative, Academic Excellence Project 5-100, aims to maximize the competitive position of leading Russian universities in the global research and education market. On October 26, the Project Council concluded its seventh annual meeting in Moscow. At the meeting, delegations from participating universities presented reports of their progress in improving their international competitive edge.
The tenth International Russian Higher Education Conference (RHEC) kicked off at the HSE University Moscow this week and will last until October 25. Bringing together over 400 participants from 15 countries, this year’s forum focuses on ‘Contributions of Higher Education to Society and Economy: Global, National and Local Perspectives.’
The tenth International Russian Higher Education Conference (RHEC) has commenced in Moscow this week and will last until October 25. This year’s conference focuses on ‘Contributions of Higher Education to Society and Economy: Global, National and Local Perspectives.’
On a visit to HSE University on October 18, Unilever CEO Alan Jope met with university leadership and spoke to students in an open lecture about the social mission of business.
In late September, IOE hosted the Second Russia–China Conference, Digital Transformation of Education and Artificial Intelligence. The event has offered a multifaceted forum for leading experts from the two countries to foreground and share the most important research, policy and practical perspectives in how the digital stride has been remolding various dimensions of the national education systems.
On October 2 and 3, HSE University simultaneously celebrated two anniversaries of Russian-Dutch academic cooperation: the 25th anniversary of joint educational programmes between HSE University and Erasmus University Rotterdam, and the 10th anniversary of the Dutch educational center, Nuffic Neso Russia, with which HSE has a long-standing partnership.
HSE University is opening a Faculty of Geography and Geoinformation Technology in partnership with the Institute of Geography of the Russian Academy of Sciences (IG RAS). The Faculty, which will focus on global climate change, geoinformatics, and social geography, plans to launch its first bachelor’s programme in 2020.
The agreement provides for academic and cultural cooperation between the universities, student exchange, and joint research. HSE University and the University of Bergen have been partners in educational initiatives for eight years. The partnership began when the HSE Faculty of Law signed an agreement with the Norwegian university.
On September 20, HSE University Rector Yaroslav Kuzminov and Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of the Italian Republic Pasquale Terracciano signed a cooperation agreement between the Embassy of Italy and HSE University.
HSE’s long-awaited annual event has passed, but our memories of it are still fresh—the workshops, the dancing, the lectures, the scientific experiments, the exclusive concert by Tima Belorusskih and Feduk—there are too many to name! HSE News Service is here to give you the lowdown on HSE Day 2019.
HSE University commenced the new academic year with a housewarming party marking the long-awaited opening of its new campus complex on Pokrovsky Boulevard. Rector Yaroslav Kuzminov, Academic Supervisor Evgeny Yasin, and vice rectors of the university took part in the event to welcome students, faculty, and staff.
HSE University Rector and Academic Supervisor welcome first year students and talk about the key features of HSE University.
On August 22, HSE leaders, including the University Rector Yaroslav Kuzminov and Head of IOE Isak Froumin, met with Jaime Saavedra, Director of the World Bank's Education Global Practice.
On August 22, HSE University leadership met with Jaime Saavedra, Head of the World Bank's Education Global Practice.
The document, signed by HSE Rector Yaroslav Kuzminov and RAS President Alexander Sergeev, formalizes agreements on joint work in education, the training of future researchers, and the support and promotion of research.
On July 24, HSE University Rector Yaroslav Kuzminov and State Hermitage Museum Director Mikhail Piotrovsky officially signed a cooperation agreement. The university and the museum will collaborate on joint educational projects and research.
On July 24, the second annual International Economics Olympiad (IEO) for high school students kicked off at HSE University in St. Petersburg. The competition is organized by HSE University with the support of Sberbank. Students from 24 countries will compete over the course of a week. The winners will be able to enroll in any HSE Economics programme in 2020 with a full tuition scholarship.
The new issue of the Foresight and STI Governance journal is devoted to the impact of technological progress on employment prospects and the development of competencies. This problem is viewed from the perspective of employees, companies and regions.
HSE University and the United Nations Human Settlements Programme signed an agreement to conduct joint research on urban development. HSE Rector Yaroslav Kuzminov and UN Under-Secretary-General Maimunah Mohd Sharif, who heads the UN-Habitat programme, signed the letter of intent at the recent Moscow Urban Forum, which was held on July 4-7 at Moscow’s Zaryadye Park.
As part of the International Partners Week, a ceremony of setting up Ca' Foscari University Information Corner at HSE University took place on June 19.
This document, signed by HSE Rector Yaroslav Kuzminov and Acting Governor of St. Petersburg Alexander Beglov at SPIEF-2019, foresees the pursuit of joint projects for the city’s socio-economic development, as well as training programmes for the city administration and the local business community.
A weather vane in the shape of a big-beaked bird has appeared near the HSE building on Myasnitskaya Street in Moscow. The Crow’s ceremonial unveiling coincided with the 85th birthday of HSE Academic Supervisor Evgeny Yasin, who initiated it as our university’s mascot.