Yaroslav I. Kuzminov
- Academic Supervisor
- Academic Supervisor:Center for Institutional Studies
- Focus Area Academic Supervisor:Institute of Education
- Member of the HSE Academic Council
- Yaroslav I. Kuzminov has been at HSE University since 1993.
According to the HSE Charter
Academic supervision of the University is carried out by the Academic supervisor who:
- Represents the University in other academic organizations;
- Initiates organization of large scientific and scientific and practical events at the University, including conferences;
- Participates in the realization of the University’s development programme;
- Takes part in solving issues concerning the improvement of scientific, organizational and managerial activities of the University.
Education, Degrees and Academic Titles
- 1996Associate Professor
Candidate of Sciences* (PhD) in Economics
Lomonosov Moscow State University
According to the International Standard Classification of Education (ISCED) 2011, Candidate of Sciences belongs to ISCED level 8 - "doctoral or equivalent", together with PhD, DPhil, D.Lit, D.Sc, LL.D, Doctorate or similar. Candidate of Sciences allows its holders to reach the level of the Associate Professor.
Awards and Accomplishments
Special mention in HSE University Best Russian Research Paper Competition – 2021
Achievements and promotion
Order ‘For Merit for the Fatherland’, 2nd class (July 2021)
Letter of acknowledgment from Roscongress Foundation (June 2019)
Letter of acknowledgment from the President of Russia (December 2018)
Letter of acknowledgment from FIFA 2018 in Russia organizing committee (2018)
‘For Contribution to the Development of State Statistics’ Badge (September 2017)
Order ‘For Merit for the Fatherland’, 3rd class (May 2017)
Stolypin Medal, 2nd Class (April 2017)
Letter of acknowledgment from the President of Russia (December 2013)
Order ‘For Merit for the Fatherland’, 4th class (July 2012)
Letter of commendation from the Moscow City Committee for Public Affairs (April 2010)
Letter of acknowledgment from the President of Russia (April 2008)
Certificate of honour from the RF Government (December 2007)
Medal ‘For Strengthening Military Cooperation’ from the RF Ministry of Defense (May 2007)
Order of Honour (November 2002)
HSE University Award ‘Golden HSE’ (November 2001)
Letter of acknowledgment from the Higher School of Economics (December 1998)
Yaroslav Kuzminov is the Editor-in-Chief of the journal Voprosy Obrazovania (Educational Studies.Moscow) and member of the editorial boards at Voprosy Ekonomiki, the HSE Economic Journal, Foresight and STI Governance, and Mir Rossii (World of Russia).
Academic supervisor of dissertations for a Candidate of Science degree:
- Androuschak G.V. Socio-economic differentiation of borrowers as a factor in student loan system development in Russia, 2009
- Podkolzina E.A. Institutionalization of bankruptcy in Russia: incentives and behaviour of bankruptcy procedure participants, 2007
- Yudkevich M.M. Measurement costs and institutions of markets for credence goods, 2003
Publication productivity (total and over the last 5 years)
- Total number of papers – 66 (8)
- Number of papers in Q1-Q2 – 11 (2)
- Number of monographs (books) – 192 (86)
- Number of chapters in monographs (books) – 48 (4)
- Book Abdrakhmanova G., Demidkina O. V., Demyanova A., Fridlyanova S., Frolov M., Gokhberg L., Kotsemir M. N., Kovaleva G., Kuzina L., Kuznetsova I. A., Nesterenko A., Орлова В. А., Ozerova O. K., Покровский С., Polyakova V., Попов Е. В., Ratay T. V., Rudnik P. B., Ryzhikova Z. A., Schugal N. B., Шкалева Е. В., Streltsova E., Vasilkovsky S., Vishnevskiy K., Юдин И. Б., Зорина О. А. Digital Economy: 2023 : Pocket Data Book / Ed. by N. Anisimov, О. Ю. Дудорова, L. Gokhberg, Y. I. Kuzminov, М. Паршин. National Research University Higher School of Economics, 2023. doi
- Book Ditkovsky K. A., Fridlyanova S., Gokhberg L., Kotsemir M. N., Kuznetsova I. A., Martynova S. V., Nesterenko A., Polyakova V., Ratay T. V., Repina A., Rosovetskaya L. A., Sagieva G. S., Streltsova E., Tarasenko I. I., Vlasova V., Iudin I. Science. Technology. Innovation: 2023 / Ed. by N. Anisimov, L. Gokhberg, Y. I. Kuzminov. National Research University Higher School of Economics, 2023. doi
- Book Abdrakhmanova G., Vasilkovsky S., Vishnevskiy K., Gokhberg L., Demidkina O. V., Demyanova A., Kovaleva G. G., Kotsemir M. N., Kuznetsova I. A., Ozerova O. K., Polyakova V., Ryzhikova Z. A., Ratay T. V., Streltsova E., Utyatina K., Fridlyanova S., Schugal N. B. Digital economy, 2022: Pocket data book / Ed. by L. Gokhberg, Y. I. Kuzminov, И. Н. Шаповал, М. В. Паршин, Н. С. Яцеленко. M. : National Research University Higher School of Economics, 2022. doi
- Book Gokhberg L., Kuzmicheva L., Ozerova O. K., Schugal N. B., Shkaleva E., Tatiana Sutyrina. Education in Figures: 2022 / Ed. by D. Afanasiev, N. Anisimov, L. Gokhberg, Y. I. Kuzminov, N. B. Schugal, I. Shapoval. M. : HSE, 2022. doi
- Book Kuzminov Y. I., Yudkevich M. M., Altbach P. G. Higher Education in Russia. Johns Hopkins University Press, 2022. (in press)
- Book Ditkovsky K. A., Fridlyanova S., Gokhberg L., Kotsemir M. N., Kuznetsova I. A., Martynova S. V., Nesterenko A., Пахомов С. И., Polyakova V., Ratay T. V., Repina A., Rosovetskaya L. A., Sagieva G. S., Streltsova E., Tarasenko I. I., Iudin I. Science and Technology Indicators in the Russian Federation: Data book / Ed. by L. Gokhberg, Y. I. Kuzminov. M. : National Research University Higher School of Economics, 2022.
- Book Ditkovsky K. A., Fridlyanova S., Gokhberg L., Kotsemir M. N., Kuznetsova I. A., Martynova S. V., Polyakova V., Ratay T. V., Repina A., Rosovetskaya L. A., Roud V., Sagieva G. S., Streltsova E., Tarasenko I. I. Science. Technology. Innovation: 2022: Pocket Data Book / Ed. by L. Gokhberg, Y. I. Kuzminov. M. : National Research University Higher School of Economics, 2022. doi
- Book Abdrakhmanova G., Vishnevskiy K., Gokhberg L., Demyanova A., Demidkina O. V., Kovaleva G. G., Kotsemir M. N., Kuznetsova I. A., Leven E., Ozerova O. K., Polyakova V., Ratay T. V., Ryzhikova Z. A., Streltsova E., Suslov A. B., Utyatina K., Fridlyanova S., Fursov K., Schugal N. B. Digital Economy: 2021: Pocket Data Book / Ed. by L. Gokhberg, E. Y. Kislyakov, Y. I. Kuzminov, M. Parshin, I. N. Shapoval. M. : HSE, 2021.
- Book Gokhberg L., Ozerova O. K., Sautina E., Schugal N. B., Sutyrina T. A. Education in Figures: 2021 / Ed. by L. Gokhberg, Y. I. Kuzminov, I. Shapoval, N. B. Schugal. M. : HSE, 2021. doi
- Chapter Kuzminov Y. I., Fursov K., Gokhberg L., Zaichenko S. A., Meissner D. Incorporating Knowledge Triangle in University Management System: The Case of the Higher School of Economics, Russia, in: The Knowledge Triangle. Changing Higher Education and Research Management Paradigms / Ed. by D. Meissner, L. Gokhberg, Y. I. Kuzminov, M. Cervantes, S. Schwaag Serger. Switzerland : Springer, 2021. doi Ch. 8. P. 145-161. doi
- Chapter Meissner D., Gokhberg L., Kuzminov Y. I., Cervantes M., Schwaag Serger S. Knowledge Triangle Targeted Science, Technology and Innovation Policy, in: The Knowledge Triangle. Changing Higher Education and Research Management Paradigms / Ed. by D. Meissner, L. Gokhberg, Y. I. Kuzminov, M. Cervantes, S. Schwaag Serger. Switzerland : Springer, 2021. doi Ch. 1. P. 3-15. doi
- Book Aanstad S., Benner M., Borlaug S. B., Čadil V., Cervantes M. The Knowledge Triangle. Changing Higher Education and Research Management Paradigms / Ed. by D. Meissner, L. Gokhberg, Y. I. Kuzminov, M. Cervantes, S. Schwaag Serger. Switzerland : Springer, 2021. doi
- Book Abdrakhmanova G., Vishnevskiy K., Gokhberg L., Demyanova A., Kevesh M. A., Kovaleva G. G., Kotsemir M. N., Kuznetsova I. A., Ozerova O. K., Polyakova V., Ratay T. V., Ryzhikova Z. A., Streltsova E., Suslov A. B., Utyatina K., Fridlyanova S., Fursov K., Schugal N. B. Digital Economy: 2020: Pocket Data Book / Ed. by L. Gokhberg, E. Kislyakov, Y. I. Kuzminov, M. Sabelnikova. National Research University Higher School of Economics, 2020.
- Book Bondarenko N., Gokhberg L., Kovaleva N. V., Kuznetsova V. I., Ozerova O. K., Sautina E., Schugal N. B. Education in Figures / Ed. by M. Borovskaya, L. Gokhberg, Y. I. Kuzminov. National Research University Higher School of Economics, 2020.
- Chapter Kuzminov Y. I., Sorokin P. S., Froumin I. How can education contribute to socioeconomic development? Rethinking Human Capital for the Labour Market of the future, in: Bologna Process beyond 2020: Fundamental Values of the EHEA. Bononia University Press, 2020. P. 85-91.
- Book Gokhberg L., Ditkovsky K. A., Lukinova E. I., Kotsemir M. N., Kuznetsova I. A., Martynova S. V., Polyakova V., Ratay T. V., Rosovetskaya L. A., Sagieva G. S., Streltsova E., Suslov A. B., Tarasenko I. I., Fridlyanova S., Fursov K. Science. Technology. Innovation: 2020: Pocket Data Book / Ed. by L. Gokhberg, Y. I. Kuzminov, A. Medvedev, M. Sabelnikova. National Research University Higher School of Economics, 2020.
- Book Abdrakhmanova G., Demyanova A., Dranev Y., Dyachenko E., Fridlyanova S., Fursov K., Gokhberg L., Kotsemir M. N., Kovaleva G. G., Kuznetsova I. A., Ratay T. V., Ryzhikova Z. A., Streltsova E., Vishnevskiy K. Digital Economy : Pocket Data Book / Ed. by L. Gokhberg, E. Kislyakov, Y. I. Kuzminov, M. Sabelnikova. M. : National Research University Higher School of Economics, 2019.
- Book Ditkovsky K. A., Fridlyanova S., Fursov K., Gokhberg L., Kuznetsova I. A., Kotsemir M. N., Lukinova E. I., Martynova S. V., Nefedova A., Ratay T. V., Rosovetskaya L. A., Sagieva G. S., Streltsova E., Suslov A. B., Tarasenko I. I. Science. Technology. Innovation: Pocket Data Book / Ed. by L. Gokhberg, Y. I. Kuzminov, A. Medvedev, M. Sabelnikova. M. : National Research University Higher School of Economics, 2019.
- Book Abankina I., Alashkevich M., Bolotov V., Dobryakova M. S., Dudyrev F., Froumin I., Koreshnikova Y., Korshunov I., Kosaretsky S., Mertsalova T., Odoevskaya E., Ovakimyan A., Platonova D., Semenov A., Semyonov D., Sergomanov P., Sorokin P. S., Uvarov A., Zinkovsky K. 12 Solutions for a New Education: Report by the Center for Strategic Research and the Higher School of Economics / Ed. by Y. I. Kuzminov, I. Froumin. M. : National Research University Higher School of Economics, 2018. doi
- Chapter Froumin I., Kuzminov Y. I. Common Legacy: Evolution of the Institutional Landscape of Soviet Higher Education, in: 25 Years of Transformations of Higher Education Systems in Post-Soviet Countries. Reform and Continuity / Ed. by J. Huisman, A. Smolentseva, I. Froumin. Palgrave Macmillan, 2018. doi P. 45-72. doi
- Book Borodina D. R., Gokhberg L., Zhakhareva O., Zabaturina I. Y., Kovaleva G. G., Kovaleva N. V., Kuznetsova V. I., Ozerova O. K., Schugal N. B. Education in Figures / Ed. by L. Gokhberg, N. V. Kovaleva, Y. I. Kuzminov. M. : National Research University Higher School of Economics, 2017.
- Book Gokhberg L., Zabaturina I. Y., Kovaleva G. G., Kovaleva N. V., Kuznetsova V. I., Ozerova O. K., Ponomareva A., Schugal N. B. Education in Figures: Pocket Data Book / Ed. by G. Androushchak, L. Gokhberg, N. V. Kovaleva, Y. I. Kuzminov. M. : Higher School of Economics Publishing House, 2016.
- Article Akindinova Natalia, Kuzminov Yaroslav, Yasin Evgeny. Russia's economy: Before the long transition // Russian Journal of Economics. 2016. Vol. 2. No. 3. P. 219-245. doi
- Chapter Froumin I., Kuzminov Y. I. Supply and Demand Patterns in Russian Higher Education, in: Higher Education in the BRICS Countries: Investigating the Pact between Higher Education and Society. Springer, 2015. P. 97-123.
- Article Kuzminov Y. I., Semenov D., Froumin I. The structure of the University network: From the Soviet to Russian "master Plan" // Russian Education and Society. 2015. Vol. 57. No. 4. P. 254-321. doi
- Article Froumin I., Kuzminov Y. I., Semyonov D. Institutional diversity in Russian higher education: revolutions and evolution // European Journal of Higher Education. 2014. Vol. 4. No. 3. P. 209-234.
- Article Akindinova Natalya, Kuzminov Yaroslav, Yasin Evgeny. The Russian Economy at the Turning Point // L’industria. 2014. No. 3. P. 487-502.
- Book Gokhberg L., Zabaturina I. Y., Kovaleva N. V., Kuznetsova V. I., Ozerova O. K., Shuvalova O. R. Indicators of Education in the Russian Federation: Data Book / Ed. by L. Gokhberg, N. V. Kovaleva, Y. I. Kuzminov, I. Remorenko. M. : Higher School of Economics Publishing House, 2013.
- Book Fridlyanova S., Gokhberg L., Gorodnikova N., Gracheva G., Kouznetsova-Morenko I., Martynova S. V., Ratay T. V., Rosovetskaya L. A. Indicators of Innovation in the Russian Federation: Data Book / Отв. ред.: L. Gokhberg, Y. I. Kuzminov, K. Laykam, A. Naumov, A. K. Ponomarev, Z. A. Ryzhikova. M. : Higher School of Economics Publishing House, 2013.
- Book Abdrakhmanova G., Fridlyanova S., Gokhberg L., Kevesh M. A., Kuznetsova I. A., Kovaleva G. G., Lola I. S., Nechaeva E. G., Ostapkovich G. V., Shuvalova O. R. Information Society Indicators in the Russian Federation: Data Book / Ed. by L. Gokhberg, Y. I. Kuzminov, K. Laykam, I. Massoukh. M. : Higher School of Economics Publishing House, 2013.
- Book Fridlyanova S., Fursov K., Gokhberg L., Gorodnikova N., Gracheva G., Khramova E. B., Kirchyk O., Kouznetsova-Morenko I., Martynova S. V., Ratay T. V., Rosovetskaya L. A., Ryzhikova Z. A., Sagieva G. S., Shuvalova O. R. Science and Technology Indicators in the Russian Federation: Data Book / Ed. by A. Anopchenko, L. Gokhberg, Y. I. Kuzminov, K. Laykam. M. : Higher School of Economics Publishing House, 2013.
- Book Fridlyanova S., Belousova V., Fursov K., Gokhberg L., Gorodnikova N., Gracheva G., Khramova E. B., Kuznetsova I. A., Kovaleva G. G., Markova Y., Martynova S. V., Ratay T. V., Rosovetskaya L. A., Sagieva G. S., Studentsova E. Science and Technology. Innovation. Information Society: Pocket Data Book (2013) / Ed. by L. Gokhberg, I. Fedyukin, Y. I. Kuzminov, K. Laykam. M. : SU HSE Publishing House, 2013.
- Book The Global Future of Higher Education and the Academic Profession: The BRICs and the United States / Ed. by P. G. Altbach, L. Reisberg, M. M. Yudkevich, G. Androuschak, Y. I. Kuzminov. Palgrave Macmillan, 2013.
- Chapter Kuzminov Y. I. Academic Community and Contracts: Modern Challenges and Response, in: Paying the Professoriate: A Global Comparison of Compensation and Contracts / Ed. by P. G. Altbach, L. Reisberg, M. M. Yudkevich, G. Androuschak, I. Pacheco. L. : Routledge, 2012. P. 331-341.
- Book Fridlyanova S., Gokhberg L., Gorodnikova N., Gracheva G., Kuznetsova I. A., Martynova S. V., Ratay T. V., Rosovetskaya L. A. Indicators of Innovation in the Russian Federation: Data Book / Отв. ред.: L. Gokhberg, Y. I. Kuzminov, K. Laykam, A. Naumov, A. K. Ponomarev, Z. A. Ryzhikova. M. : Higher School of Economics Publishing House, 2012.
- Book Fridlyanova S., Fursov K., Gokhberg L., Gorodnikova N., Gracheva G., Khramova E. B., Kirchyk O., Kuznetsova I. A., Martynova S. V., Ratay T. V., Rosovetskaya L. A., Ryzhikova Z. A., Sagieva G. S., Shuvalova O. R. Science and Technology Indicators in the Russian Federation: Data Book / Ed. by A. Anopchenko, L. Gokhberg, Y. I. Kuzminov, K. Laykam. M. : Higher School of Economics Publishing House, 2012.
- Book Gokhberg L., Kovaleva N. V., Ozerova O. K., Shuvalova O. R., Zabaturina I. Y., Kuznetsova V. I., Remorenko I. Indicators of Education in the Russian Federation: Data Book / Ed. by L. Gokhberg, Y. I. Kuzminov, N. V. Kovaleva, I. Remorenko. M. : Higher School of Economics Publishing House, 2011.
- Article Kuzminov Y. I., Remorenko I., Rudnik B., Froumin I., Jakobson L. I., Volkov A. Russian Education in 2020: a Model of Education for Innovative Economy. Material for Discussion // Issues in Education. 2008. No. 1. P. 32-64.
- Preprint Kuzminov Y. I., Yudkevich M. M. Academic Freedom and University Standards for Teaching and Research / NRU Higher School of Economics. Series WP10 "Научные доклады Института институциональных исследований". 2007. No. 01.
- Article Kuzminov Y. I., Yasin E., Jakobson L. I. Russian Health Care // Current Digest of the Post-Soviet Press. 2006. Vol. 24. No. 5
- Article Kuzminov Y. I., Nikitin A. Optimizing the relationship between oil exporters and government // World Bank. Knowledge Economy. Theme D: Russia. 2005
- Book Kuzminov Y. I., Yakovlev A. A., Gokhberg L., Larionova M. V., Shadrin A. E., Kuznetsov B., Gavrilenkov E. E. The New Economy: A Chance for Russia. M. : Higher School of Economics Publishing House, 2003.
- Article Prostakov I., Ananyin O. I., Kuzminov Y. I., Korolkov M. P. Economic reform: Institutional and structural aspects // Problems of Economic Transition. 1993. Vol. 36. No. 7. P. 52-65.
- Member of the Russian Presidential Commission for Civil Service and Management Personnel Pool;
- Member of the Russian Presidential National Council for Professional Qualifications; head of the Working group on the Development of Professional Education and Training in the National Qualification System;
- Member of the Russian State Council Committee on Science;
- Coordinator of the Expert Council of the Government of the Russian Federation;
- Member of the Governmental Committee on Administrative Reform;
- Member of the Project Committee of the ‘Science and Universities’ national project;
- Deputy Chair of the Legislative Council of the State Duma of the Russian Federation;
- Member of the Council on Federal State Educational Standards of General Education and Secondary Vocational Education under the Ministry of Education of the Russian Federation;
- Member of the Board of the Ministry of Education of the Russian Federation;
- Member of the Board of Directors of TMK;
- Member of the Board of Directors of Sistema Public Joint Stock Financial Corporation;
- Member of the Board of Trustees of the Russian Academy of Education;
- Member of the Tatarstan Presidential Council for Education and Science.
Academic Supervisor of HSE University
From 1992 to 2021, Rector of National Research University Higher School of Economics (HSE University)
Graduated with a degree in Economics from Lomonosov Moscow State University
From 1979 until 1989, Yaroslav Kuzminov lectured in the Department of Economic Theory and History of Economic Thought at Moscow State University. Later, from 1989 until 1993, he worked as a researcher at the Institute of Economics, Russian Academy of Sciences.
In 1992, Dr. Kuzminov, in cooperation with Prof. Evgeny Yasin, proposed the establishment of a new type of institution of higher education — the Higher School of Economics — to the Russian Government. And thus, he became the youngest rector of a state university in the Russian Federation.
At present, Yaroslav Kuzminov is a Professor, Head of the Department of Institutional Economics, and Academic Supervisor of the HSE Center for Institutional Studies (CInSt).Dr. Kuzminov is the author of more than 50 academic works published in Russia and abroad, as well as the co-author of over 10 monographs and textbooks on such subjects as institutional economics, economics of education and institutional reforms. He also is the Editor-in-Chief of the journal Voprosy Obrazovania (Journal of Educational Studies) and member of the editorial boards at Voprosy Ekonomiki, the HSE Economic Journal, Foresight and STI Governance, and Mir Rossii (World of Russia).
In 1989, Yaroslav Kuzminov founded the Istoki (Sources) almanac, the first periodical about economic history and economic institutions in Russia.He also took part in the development of proposals for Russia’s socio-economic policy for the period up until 2020, under the name ‘Strategy 2020’. Through this project, Dr. Kuzminov headed the expert group ‘Labor Market, Professional Education and Migration Policy’ (2012).
In 2002, Dr. Kuzminov was awarded with the Order of Honour by the Decree of the President of the Russian Federation. In 2003, the French Government made Dr. Kuzminov an Officer of the Ordre des Palmes Académiques (Order of Academic Palms). In 2009, he was awarded the International Leiontief Award ‘for achievements in the organization and radical modernization of economic education in Russia’. He has also received the following awards: ‘Order For Merit for the Fatherland’, 4th Class, by Russian President Vladimir Putin (2012); Acknowledgement from the Russian President (2013); Stolypin Medal, 2nd Class (2017); ‘Order For Merit for the Fatherland’, 3rd Class (2017); Badge ‘For Contribution to the Development of State Statistics’ (2017); Acknowledgement from the Russian President (2018); and Honorary Badge ‘Moscow State Duma. 25th Anniversary’ (2019).
Head of the Office
Organisational support for the activities of the Academic Supervisor; planning and coordinating the Supervisor's work schedule; ensuring the participation of the Supervisor in the activities of the HSE University Supervisory Council and the Supervisory Council of Ural Federal University.
Assistants and Advisers
Grigory Bannikov, Assistant
Supporting the Academic Supervisor’s activities in relation to work with faculties, departments, institutes and other research units of HSE University, as well as on issues of monitoring the quality of admission.
Vera Vishnyakova, Advisor
Support for the Academic Supervisor’s activities related to HSE University’s Strategic Projects under the ‘Priority 2030’ Programme; implementation of regular joint seminars of HSE Strategic Projects; development of HSE Strategic Projects’ websites; participation in the activities of the National Council under the Russian President on professional qualifications and the Working Group on professional education and learning in the national system of qualifications, the Committee for Small and Medium-sized Entrepreneurship of the State Council of the Russian Federation; and the Yasin (April) International Academic Conference Programme Committee.
Pavel Zhdanov, Assistant
Supporting the activities of the Academic Supervisor and the Academic Supervisor’s Office related to the preparation of consolidated analytical and management reporting in academic, expert and analytical projects and areas; preparing infographics and presentations.
Ekaterina Kruchinskaia, Assistant to Academic Supervisor
Assisting with the provision of information and analytical support for the Academic Supervisor’s activities related to HSE University’s Strategic Projects under the ‘Priority 2030’ Programme; support for the Academic Supervisor’s activities related to expert and analytical work and fundamental research; coordinating and providing information and analytical support for the Academic Supervisor’s participation in the activities of the following departments and institutions:
- Managing board of the HSE AI Centre
- Managing board of academic research at HSE University
- Expert Council Bureau at the Agency for Strategic Initiatives
- Ranking Committee of the National Investment Climate Ranking, Agency for Strategic Initiatives
- Working group on the improvement and optimisation of the List of Peer-Reviewed Academic Periodicals
Elena Metelkova, Advisor
Coordinating and providing expert, analytical, and organisational support for the Academic Supervisor’s participation in the following:
- Project Committee and Public Expert Council on the ‘Science and Universities’ national project
- National Council under the Russian President on professional qualifications and the Working Group on professional education and learning in the national system of qualifications
- Science Committee of the State Council of the Russian Federation
- Russian Ministry of Education Council on federal state educational standards of general education and secondary vocational education
- Russian Ministry of Science and Higher Education Council on federal state educational standards of higher education
- Working group on the implementation of the ‘regulatory guillotine’ in education
- Supervisory board of the Russian Academy of Education
Providing support for the activities of the Expert Council of the Government of the Russian Federation:
Ekaterina Kruchinskaia, Assistant to Academic Supervisor
Roman Nikishin, Assistant to Academic Supervisor
Marina Glazatova, Advisor
Maria Melnikova, Advisor
Tatyana Timkova, Advisor
Maria Komkova, Assistant
Academic Council: HSE University’s Contribution to Achieving National Goals and Development Priorities to Increase
HSE University’s Development Programme until 2030 will be improved in order to increase the university’s contribution to achieving national goals and implementing the priorities of the country’s scientific and technological development. This decision was made by the university’s Academic Council on April 26. The meeting also addressed the principles for the development of HSE University’s external communications, one of which is the creation of a high-quality information field around the university.
Structural Transformation and Drivers of Sustainable Growth in Russian Economy Discussed at HSE University
The Russian economy has demonstrated high resilience to unprecedented external pressure and has managed to largely adapt to new conditions. As early as this year, it can go from recession to growth. The issue of where to find drivers and resources for this was discussed at a plenary session titled ‘Russian Economy under Sanctions: From Adaptation to Sustainable Growth’ at the XXIV Yasin (April) International Academic Conference held at HSE University as part of the Decade of Science and Technology. Minister of Economic Development of the Russian Federation Maksim Reshetnikov took part in the discussion.
XXIV Yasin (April) Academic Conference Kicks Off at HSE University
HSE University is hosting the XXIV Yasin (April) International Academic Conference on Economic and Social Development in Moscow from April 4–14. The conference has attracted over 3,000 leading researchers, experts, business representatives and government officials from over 30 countries. The leaders of HSE University—Rector Nikita Anisimov, Academic Supervisor Yaroslav Kuzminov, and President Alexander Shokhin—addressed the conference participants.
Quality of Enrolment in Russian Universities in 2022: Key Findings
HSE University, with the support of the Ministry of Science and Higher Education of the Russian Federation, presented the results of a programme to monitor the quality of enrolment in state-funded and fee-based places at Russian universities in 2022. The study was carried out at the HSE Institute of Education under the supervision of Yaroslav Kuzminov, HSE University Academic Supervisor.
Igor Agamirzian: 'Multidisciplinarity is Our Strength'
Keeping up with rapidly changing technology requires accelerated digital transformation in various spheres of the economy and science, as well as a broader application of machine learning and artificial intelligence. Technological advancement also requires conceptualisation and relevant legal regulation. The HSE News Service interviewed HSE Vice President Professor Igor Agamirzian, Academic Supervisor of the strategic project 'Digital Transformation: Technologies, Effects, Efficiency', about ongoing research into digitalisation and its outcomes.
Referee Recommendation System Developed by HSE University and RFU Wins Award
An algorithm for selecting football referees developed by the Laboratory of Sports Studies at the HSE University Faculty of Economic Sciences and the Russian Football Union (RFU) has been named the Best IT Project in the Sports Industry by the Global CIO professional community. In order to recommend the most suitable referee for a particular match, the algorithm considers 30 parameters, including referees’ ratings, the match category, the venue, the need for rotation, etc.
'We Are Seeking to Translate Research into Policy Solutions'
Social Policy for Sustainable Development and Inclusive Economic Growth is one of HSE University's strategic projects. The project is aimed at translating scientific achievements into practical solutions for social and economic policy. HSE researchers and their partners have been actively involved in this work, and the first results have been obtained. In her interview with the HSE News Service, Vice Rector Lilia Ovcharova, Academic Supervisor of the project, spoke about what has been done so far.
‘HSE Is an Environment; It Is People’
HSE Rector Nikita Anisimov gave an interview to the Business of Russia magazine in which he talked about the essence of HSE University, the importance of double-degrees, how online education differs from classical education and how sanctions allow for the development of domestic projects in the field of education.
HSE MIEM Celebrates 60 Years at the Forefront of Electronics and Mathematics
Students, staff and graduates of the HSE Tikhonov Moscow Institute of Electronics and Mathematics (MIEM HSE), university leaders, representatives of HSE University faculties and partner companies gathered at the HSE Culture Centre on October 14 to celebrate the 60th anniversary of the institute.
HSE Academic Council Sums Up the Results of Admission Campaign
For the first time, HSE University has moved up to second place based on the average score of applicants enroled on state-funded bachelor's programmes. The implementation of the concept of ‘four campuses — one university’ has led to an increase in the number of applicants and the quality of admissions at the regional campuses. As well as this, enrolment on online programmes has increased by more than 50%. Despite a slight reduction in the number of international applicants due to external factors, the university has maintained its rigorous selection policy for prospective students. Among foreign countries, China has the largest number of students applying for HSE’s master’s programmes.
HSE Academic Council Meets for the Last Time This Academic Year
The meeting was held in person for the first time in over two years. It was attended by Sergey Kravtsov, Russian Minister of Education, and Dmitry Smyslov, Vice President of VK. The Council discussed HSE University’s breakthrough projects in engineering and artificial intelligence and elected new distinguished and tenured professors.
'Your Biggest Competitor in Life Will Always Be Yourself'
HSE representatives attended the St. Petersburg International Economic Forum and contributed to many of its sessions. What technologies, approaches and strategies are relevant in this new reality we find ourselves in? HSE Rector Nikita Anisimov, HSE Academic Supervisor Yaroslav Kuzminov and other experts offered their perspectives on these issues during panel discussions.
HSE University Staff Members Elected to the Russian Academy of Sciences
The results of the vote were announced at the General Assembly of the Russian Academy of Sciences (RAS), which took place from June 1-3. The newly elected Members and Corresponding Members of the RAS include eight scholars from HSE University.
Interdisciplinary Interaction and Commercialisation of Products: Report on the HSE TechnoShow
On May 30th, the traditional HSE TechnoShow—the final exhibition of the best works by student teams during the 2021/22 academic year project cycle—took place in the HSE Tikhonov Moscow Institute of Electronics and Mathematics (MIEM HSE). For the first time since the pandemic began, the festival was held offline. Visitors to the show included not only students and professors of HSE University, but also a wide variety of interested people.
‘Uncertainty Transforms the Social Protection System into a Safety Cushion’
As part of the XXIII Yasin (April) International Academic Conference, HSE University held a meeting between HSE scholars and Anton Kotyakov, Minister of Labour and Social Protection of the Russian Federation. The title of the meeting was ‘The Future of Social Security: Trends and Forecasts.’ The experts and the Minister discussed the experience and lessons learned from population support initiatives during the pandemic, social protection efforts to reduce poverty and inequality, measures to counter sanctions, and the situation in the labour market.
HSE Experts Discuss the Situation in the Country with Presidential Aide Maxim Oreshkin
HSE University academics held a discussion with Maxim Oreshkin, presidential aide and graduate of the HSE University, as part of theXXIII Yasin (April) International Academic Conference. They talked about the current socioeconomic situation and the future of Russia's development. The discussion was moderated by HSE Academic SupervisorYaroslav Kuzminov.
XXIII Yasin International Academic Conference on Economic and Social Development Begins
From April 5–22, 2002, the XXIII Yasin (April) International Academic Conference on Economic and Social Development will be held in Moscow. Its participants include leading scientists and experts, representatives from the business community, politicians and leaders of state bodies. Over 700 papers will be presented at the Conference and discussed in almost 150 sessions and 24 sections.
‘Our Distinction Is Our Core Areas of Research’
In his interview for the HSE LooK, Evgenii A. Krouk, the Acting Director of HSE Tikhonov Moscow Institute of Electronics and Mathematics, talks about the distinctive features that set the institute apart, the place of project-based learning on the curriculum, research areas with the highest potential, and his vision for HSE MIEM future development.
‘We Are Witnessing an Educational Revolution That Goes Beyond Universities’
Higher education has special value in the dynamically changing world of highly competitive labour markets. Employers care not only about diplomas, but also about the quality and relevance of the knowledge and skills gained from university. Online learning has become ‘the new normal’ in education—a minimum prerequisite. These issues were discussed by experts during the eLearning Stakeholders and Researchers Summit (eSTARS 2021) organised by HSE University in cooperation with Coursera.
New Educational Revolution: Russian and Global Online Learning Trends Discussed at eSTARS 2021
eSTARS 2021, an international online conference organized by HSE University in partnership with Coursera, has taken place for the fourth time, attracting more than 1,300 participants from about 50 countries. Participants included education administrators, academic leaders, and representatives of leading EdTech companies. The conference featured about 100 research presentations.
Seven Days Until eSTARS 2021 International Academic Conference
On December 1st and 2nd, 2021, the eLearning Stakeholders and Researchers Summit (eSTARS 2021), an international online conference organized by HSE University in partnership with Coursera, will take place. eSTARS will discuss pressing issues facing universities today in the context of the growing interdependence of digital technology, the economy and education.
HSE University Receives International Award for Best Practices in Research Management
HSE University has won in a joint nomination by the Quacquarelli Symonds (QS) international rankings agency and the company Elsevier. The award was presented as part of the forum ‘Development Trends in the Social Sciences and Humanities: Global Challenges and Best Russian Practices’ hosted by the State Academic University for the Humanities. Irina Karelina, Senior Director for Strategic Planning at HSE University, accepted the award and noted that the university’s success is largely down to its consistent personnel and research policies, as well as its support for young people.
HSE University Undergoes Staff Changes in Senior Management Team
Sergey Kadochnikov, Director of HSE in St. Petersburg since 2013, has announced his plans to leave his current position. Anna Tyshetskaya, current Vice Rector for Education at Immanuel Kant Baltic Federal University, will take over as Director of HSE University’s campus in St. Petersburg. Elena Odoevskaya and Irina Martusevich will be appointed HSE Vice Rectors.
‘The Expertise of Members of IAC Will Be Instrumental in the Continuing Development of the University’
On October 5, HSE University’s International Advisory Committee held an online session. Yaroslav Kuzminov, HSE University Academic Supervisor, introduced the new leadership structure of the University and Rector Nikita Anisimov spoke about his vision for HSE University’s development. Meeting participants discussed various aspects of the University strategy.
Why Politicians Don't Listen to Economists: First Meeting of Economic Policy Club Takes Place at HSE University
Participants of the HSE Economic Policy Club discussed why politics often serves the interests of a small group of people to the detriment of the welfare of the majority of citizens, and also why the government ignores recommendations from economists. At the same time, economic policy always redistributes resources, and it isn’t possible to achieve the optimal solutions suggested by economic theory.
‘Our Task Is to Do Things Better, or Do the Things That the Region Lacks’
HSE University's English-language newsletter, HSE LooK, has talked to Anna Blyakhman, Director of the HSE Nizhny Novgorod campus, about the history of the campus, its most noteworthy achievements, and future plans.
‘The Past Is Never Dead. It's Not Even Past’
This summer, the HSE Centre for the History and Sociology of World War II and Its Consequences was reorganized to become the HSE Institute for Advanced Soviet and Post-Soviet Studies. Oleg Budnitskii, Doctor of Historical Sciences, head of the Centre and director of the Institute, talked to the HSE News Service about the new division.
‘We Must Find New Ways to Bring Objective, High-Quality Information to People’
On August 12, the Territory of Ideas all-Russia youth education forum will come to a close in the town of Solnechnogorsk in the Moscow region. HSE Rector Nikita Anisimov spoke at the fifth session of the forum, declaring this year’s admissions campaign to be the most successful in the university’s history.
HSE Rector: In Order to Deal with All Our Tasks, We’ll Need Teamwork
Nikita Anisimov has held his first meeting of the Board of Tenured Professors as HSE University Rector. HSE Academic Supervisor Yaroslav Kuzminov also participated in the event. They told the board members that the university’s development priorities remain the same, while the professors expressed their commitment to helping the new administration. They also discussed the renewal of the board, by including representatives of different research fields and young scholars from all HSE campuses.
‘In Many Cases, We Are Falling Behind not by Years, but by Orders of Magnitude’: HSE Experts Suggest Ways to Speed Up Russia’s Technological Development
Yaroslav Kuzminov, HSE Academic Supervisor, and Leonid Gokhberg, First HSE Vice Rector, spoke at an expert meeting with Dmitry Medvedev, Deputy Chair of the Security Council of the Russian Federation, on issues of Russia’s technological development. They outlined the current state of research and development and offered suggestions on how to gear the economy towards innovation.
‘A Rector’s Mission Is to Act in the Interests of Students, Teachers, and Academics’
Nikita Anisimov was appointed Rector of HSE University early this July. In his address to HSE students and staff, he talks about his first working week, his short- and long-term plans, and the university’s vaccination efforts.
‘I Have Worked at Four Universities and Can Say That Student Self-Governance at HSE University Is the Best’
Rector Anisimov met with the HSE Student Council
Nikita Anisimov Appointed Acting Rector of HSE University
On July 2, Mr Anisimov was introduced to the HSE Academic Council at its meeting at HSE campus in Pokrovka. Valery Falkov, Minister of Science and Higher Education of the Russian Federation, Yaroslav Kuzminov, HSE University Academic Supervisor, and HSE University President Alexander Shokhin took part in the meeting.
Yaroslav Kuzminov to Serve As HSE University Academic Supervisor
Message to the University community
‘We Are Competing for the Best Scholars and We Don’t Want Our New Colleagues to Rest on Their Heels’
At the meeting of the Rector’s Council on June 23, seven issues were considered, including the vaccination of staff and students, postgraduate and dissertation councils, the development of a Continuing Professional Development (CPD) programme at the University, and the HSE library. Members of the Rector’s Council additionally discussed the regulations on the organisation of training concerning MicroDegree-granting programmes.
HSE University Cohosts Virtual THE Young Universities Summit
Several representatives of HSE University took part in the seventh Times Higher Education Young Universities Summit, organized jointly with HSE University on June 22-23 and held entirely online. The Summit focused on the global outlook for higher education and opportunities for new growth for young universities.
Virtual THE Young Universities Summit Opens on June 22
Phil Baty, Chief Knowledge Officer of Times Higher Education, and Yaroslav Kuzminov, HSE University Rector, delivered opening remarks.
Times Higher Education Young Universities Summit to Take Place in Partnership with a Russian University for the First Time
From June 22-23, the virtual Times Higher Education Young Universities Summit, jointly organized with HSE University, will take place. This marks the first time that the summit will be conducted with support from a Russian university. The choice of HSE is no coincidence: it is the only Russian university in the Top 50 of THE Young University Ranking.
HSE University to Take Action on Grade Inflation
HSE University’s administration is determined to prevent the lowering of grading standards for students’ academic performance. Teachers will be receiving new grading guidelines in the next two weeks. The proposed grading criteria will become mandatory for all courses. Other measures are planned as well. The list of such measures was discussed by the Rector’s Council on June 15.
Reformatting Research Activity: First Large-Scale Projects Launched at HSE University
Less than a year ago, the Faculty of Humanities at HSE University launched four large-scale projects, bringing together representatives of different disciplines from different departments and campuses of the University. Their goals, content, staffing and expected results were presented at a meeting of the Rector’s Council. Other departments have been tasked with developing their own large-scale projects, which HSE University will be able to include in its application for the ‘Priority 2030’ programme.
‘To Read Such Papers, International Scholars Will Likely Want to Learn Russian’
The results of the competition for the best academic and popular science papers in Russian by HSE staff members have been announced. This competition is a new one, organized by the university to celebrate the Year of Science and Technology. 257 applications were submitted, with 35 winners announced in the academic category and 30 in the popular science one. The winners were announced on Alexander Pushkin’s birthday. The organizers plan to make the competition annual, potentially opening it up for all Russian and international researchers writing papers and involved in science communication in Russian.
HSE University to Expand Scientific and Educational Cooperation with Two Universities in Qatar
At the St Petersburg International Economic Forum (SPIEF), HSE University signed Memoranda of Understanding with the University of Qatar and Hamad Bin Khalifa University. The agreements aim to strengthen the scientific potential of the universities and develop projects in teaching and research. In addition, HSE representatives took part in expert discussions at the Qatar National Pavilion at SPIEF.
HSE Gets in on the Show: The Creative Present and the 'Fear of the Future'
The Telling Stories festival, organised by the Faculty of Communications, Media, and Design, has come to an end at HSE University. During two days, anyone could attend open lectures, discussions, master classes, performances, concerts, exhibitions, and screenings. Experts discussed the state of creative industries and tried to outline an image of the future by understanding the main challenges, prospects, and anxieties it presents.
Educational Studies Journal Enters Scopus Q1
Educational Studies, an academic journal founded by HSE University in 2004, has become the first Russian journal to enter the first quartile in Education in Scopus. This success relies on high requirements and thorough selection of publications, when the editorial board tries to select not just good papers, but particularly innovative studies.
Meeting with the Chancellor of the National Research University Higher School of Economics
On April 28, Elena Iarskaia-Smirnova, Head of the International Laboratory for Social Integration Research, presented a report on the main areas of activity and prospects for the development of the laboratory at a meeting with the Chancellor of the National Research University Higher School of Economics Yaroslav Kuzminov, the Vice-Chancellor and Director of the Institute of Social Policy Lilia Ovcharova, the Vice-Chancellor and Director of the Institute of Applied Political Research Valeria Kasamara, attended the discussion. Participants discussed the main areas of research and key research and partnership projects of the ILSIR and other research institutions of the Faculty of Social Sciences.
The April Conference, 2021: 1,500 Participants, a Partnership with Sberbank, and an Online Format
On April 30, the XXII April International Academic Conference on Economic and Social Development came to a close. This year it was organized jointly by HSE University and Sberbank, and the majority of the events were held online. HSE Vice President and Conference Programme Committee Deputy Chair Lev Yakobson spoke with HSE News Service about his initial takeaways from the event and its new format.
HSE and DOM.RF Sign a Student Housing Agreement
HSE University is renting a 27-storey block of a new apartment complex, Level Amurskaya, located in the Golyanovo District of Moscow. Only university students will be accommodated in the building, and they will have their choice of renting a single studio or a shared apartment. This agreement is another step towards HSE's transition to a service model for accommodating nonresident and foreign students as part of the University Development Program until 2030.
Both Quiet and Noisy: HSE University Opens Its Largest Coworking Space for Students Yet
A meeting room, a presentation hall, a quiet zone for individual study, areas for discussing group projects—the new space will become the main attraction for all those who study at the HSE building on Staraya Basmannaya. HSE News Service attended the coworking opening ceremony and learned whether it is possible to sleep there, where HSE’s psychological hub is located, whether Mikhail Boytsov’s ID card works, and what students think about the new place.
HSE Supervisory Council Approves the Implementation of the HSE Development Programme up to 2020
The HSE University Supervisory Council chaired by Sergey Kiriyenko, First Deputy Chief of Staff of the Presidential Administration of the Russian Federation, gathered for its first on-site meeting after the start of the pandemic.
HSE Ranks Among the World’s Top 50 Universities in Three QS Subject Rankings
HSE University has expanded its presence in the top 50 of QS subject rankings, placing in two additional subject rankings. HSE is represented in 4 of the 5 broad subject areas ranked by QS, and it has significantly improved its performance from last year in almost half of the individual subjects rankings in which it is included.
‘There Will Be No Mass Closures’—HSE Rector Kuzminov on Future Trends in Education
In a TASS interview, Rector Kuzminov discusses digitalization, society, and what the next 10 years hold for HSE
‘The Last of My Fears about the Vaccination Have Been Dispelled’
HSE faculty and staff on Sputnik V, Russia’s first vaccine against COVID-19
HSE University and Consortium Partners Aim to Take Human Capital Studies to New Level
On January 14, at the 2021 Gaidar Forum, which was held at the Russian Presidential Academy of National Economy and Public Administration (RANEPA), HSE University Rector Yaroslav Kuzminov and leaders of three other institutions signed an agreement to establish the Human Capital Multidisciplinary Research Center (HCMRC). The other co-signers were RANEPA Rector Vladimir Mau, MGIMO University Rector Anatoly Torkunov, and Dmitry Funk, Director of the N.N. Miklukho-Maclay Institute of Ethnology and Anthropology of the Russian Academy of Sciences. The Center will focus on that key areas of human capital studies that are of current global importance.
MIEM Research Professor Viktor Maslov Receives ‘Global Energy’ Prize
The Global Energy Association awards outstanding Russian scholars for their contributions to the development of the national power engineering industry on their professional holiday – national Power Engineers’ Day. Professor Viktor Maslov, a RAS member, Doctor of Sciences (Physics and Math), and MIEM Research Professor, has become the first winner of the Honorary Diploma from the Association ‘for his fundamental contributions to upholding nuclear power safety’.
‘In Order Not to Lose Out in the Global Market, We Need to Cultivate Our National Competitors’
Among the wide range of issues considered at the VII global conference on new educational technologies, EdCrunch On Demand, two topics were highlighted: the development of the education system during the pandemic and the further improvement of the competitiveness of Russian higher education. Conference participants concluded that the future of education lies in a combination of online and offline studies, that it is necessary to invest in different types of universities, and that universities will have to compete with start-ups and large corporations.
‘Distance Education for Universities Is an Opportunity to Break into the Future’
The 2020 eSTARS conference, organized by HSE University in partnership with the global educational platform Coursera, has commenced. For the first time in its history, the event is being held entirely online. At the plenary session and the first panel session, representatives of the world's leading universities, their associations, and educational platforms spoke about the role of digitalization in the development of higher education, the impact of the pandemic on education, and new approaches to how teachers and students can interact.
Yaroslav Kuzminov: As Digital Reality Develops, We Face More and More Infringements upon Freedom
Today, we need a coordinated agenda in order to understand how to develop a comfortable and safe technological environment and make the consequences of rapid technological development forecastable and manageable. This is what HSE Rector Yaroslav Kuzminov said at the National Academic Online Conference ‘Ethical and Legal Issues of Digital Transformation: From Conflict to Harmony?’
eSTARS 2020 Conference to Discuss Education in the Context of Global Digitalization
Jointly organized by HSE University and Coursera, the international eLearning Stakeholders and Researchers Summit (eSTARS 2020) will be held from December 1 – 2, 2020. It will be the third time the organizers bring together international stakeholders from governments, the academic community, busines, as well as researchers and experts to discuss the present and future of online education.
Yaroslav Kuzminov: A University That Learns — Three Missions and Three Pillars of a Modern University
A university in the modern world cannot remain an ‘isolated entity’ that focuses on education and scientific activity. Through public projects and initiatives, it has a significant impact on the development of both the country as a whole and its regions. This activity, which includes volunteering, charity, social support for students, and the transmission of knowledge to engaged citizens, has become known as the ‘third mission’.Yaroslav Kuzminov, Rector of HSE University, has published an opinion piece about the University’s ‘third mission’ in the VTimes.
‘We Need to Look for Harmony in Our Everyday Relations’
What lies at the core of the European integration? What motto keeps Europe alive? Has European model become outdated and is it capable of adapting to the changing reality? These and other questions were the focus of the online talk delivered by Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of the Federal Republic of Germany to the Russian Federation Géza Andreas von Geyr at the invitation of HSE University. The lecture was attended by students, scholars, and members of the press from around the world.
Yaroslav Kuzminov: No One Is Afraid of Going Digital Anymore
What new opportunities does the pandemic present? How have Russian and international companies adapted? Will remote work continue? What skills will be in demand due to the transformation of the labour market? On November 12, HSE University Rector Yaroslav Kuzminov discussed these questions in his talk, ‘Digitalism and the Pandemic Are Coming: Consequences for the Labour Market and Corporate Culture’ at the TMK Horizons International Forum.
HSE Campus in Nizhny Novgorod Turns 24!
On September 13, 2020, the HSE University campus in Nizhny Novgorod turned 24 years. The grand opening of the campus back then was attended by Evgeny Yasin, Minister of Economy of the Russian Federation and HSE Academic Supervisor, and Boris Nemtsov, Governor of Nizhny Novgorod Oblast. This was the first HSE campus outside Moscow, and kickstarted the university’s spatial expansion.
'The More Multidimensional Your Education, the Better Prepared You Are for Life'
What are the hallmarks of future-proof education? How do minors benefit students? How will people interact with machines? These were some of the topics that HSE Rector and IOE Academic Supervisor, Yaroslav Kuzminov addressed in a recent conversation with Elena Bunina, General Director at Yandex Russia.
'The More Multidimensional Your Education, the Better Prepared You Are for Life’s Surprises'
What should an undergraduate education entail? How do the minors benefit students? How will people interact with machines? These were some of the questions discussed by HSE Rector Yaroslav Kuzminov and Elana Bunina, Yandex General Director in Russia, in a conversation about future professions at HSE Day.
'We Want to Become a Research and Project University for Each of You'
HSE University Rector Yaroslav Kuzminov has welcomed first year students to HSE University. He told the newly enrolled students about the importance of wearing masks on campus, the autumn flu vaccination, as well as important changes in the educational process. The rector also congratulated them on starting their student life at HSE University.
Project Work at the Faculty of Humanities to Comprise a Three-Tier Structure
Project work in the Faculty of Humanities can be divided into three categories of varying scale. Megaprojects bring together employees of different HSE faculties and campuses; projects bring together employees at the faculty level; and more localized projects, which have been tentatively defined as initiative projects, are implemented by teams on an initiative basis. This project work structure and other issues were discussed on Wednesday, July 29 at a meeting of the HSE University administration.
‘The Central Role of Communication in Education Is Not Going Anywhere’: HSE Rector on the Revolution in Higher Education, the Prestige of Russian Education, and the Outcomes of the Pandemic
In an interview with Forbes, HSE University Rector Yaroslav Kuzminov discussed the digitalization of education and what he thinks the future holds in store for universities. Below is an abridged translation of the interview. The full-length interview in Russian is available on the Forbes website.
HSE Faculties of Law and Humanities to Be Restructured
The HSE University administration has approved proposed structural changes to the Faculty of Law and the Faculty of the Humanities. The changes will streamline managerial processes and better facilitate the faculties’ pursuit of research and educational objectives. The changes will take effect at the start of new academic year on September 1, 2020.
HSE University Enters Top 50 of THE Young University Rankings
HSE University has taken 41st place, becoming the only Russian university on the Top 50 of the Times Higher Education Young University Rankings.
HSE University Enters Top 35 of QS 50 Under 50 World University Rankings
HSE University took 31st place in the QS Top 50 Under 50 Ranking, climbing seven places, even in the face of the growing competition in the higher tier of this ranking.
HSE University Enters the QS Ranking’s Top 300 For First Time
HSE University took 298th place in the 2021 QS World University Rankings, improving its ranking by 24 positions compared to last year and entering the first quartile of the world’s leading universities. HSE University now ranks among the world’s top 300 universities in two international rankings: the Quacquarelli Symonds World University Rankings and the Times Higher Education World University Rankings.
MIEM TechnoShow: ‘The University’s Key Objective is to Inspire Students to Create Something New’
With five hours of networking, 22 ‘video guest halls’, and over 800 visitors from 16 countries, this year’s MIEM TechnoShow was a spectacular online exhibition. Attendees could visit various ‘rooms’ to see the projects MIEM students had been working on this past academic year.
University Codes of Conduct Should Be Concise and Precise
The HSE University International Advisory Committee met online on May 19 to discuss the proposed Codes of Conduct for faculty and students, as well as assess the university’s transition to online learning.
Experts Discuss Media, Art, Fashion, and Education at Telling Stories Festival 2020
What does the post-COVID future have in store for museums, universities, and the media? Does big data protect us or pose a threat? What are the prospects for fashion shows, cinema, and theaters? How are different generations experiencing the pandemic? These and other issues were discussed at the annual festival of communications, design, and media.
‘It’s about the “Moral Stability” of the Economy’
HSE experts participated in the first international online forum, ‘The World, Post-Coronavirus: A View from the Heart of Eurasia’, which was held on April 28 in Ufa on the initiative of the Bashkortostan government. Scholars, businessmen, and politicians from different countries discussed threats, opportunities, and solutions for the economy and the social sphere.
‘Higher Education Will Not Return to Its Old Format’
An online discussion on the topic of ‘New Higher Education: After the Period of Compulsory Remote Operation’ was held on April 27 as part of the Moscow International Education Fair MIEF-2020. The discussants included Dmitry Afanasiev, Russia’s Deputy Minister of Science and Higher Education; Vladimir Mau, Rector of RANEPA; and Yaroslav Kuzminov, Rector of HSE University.
Science. Technology. Innovation: 2020
This pocket data book contains the main S&T and innovation indicators for the Russian Federation. The publication includes the most recent statistical data on R&D input and output, as well as international comparisons.
HSE St Petersburg Will Be Closed from March 28 to April 5
All HSE students and graduate students will have the week from March 28 to April 5, 2020, off. HSE Rector Yaroslav Kuzminov has signed the relevant order.
Viral Revolution: How the Pandemic Will Change Our World
In an op-ed for RB K, HSE Rector Yaroslav Kuzminov laid out his predictions about the changes that await us in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic: on-site office workers will be reduced by a third, retail business will go completely digital, and both healthcare and education will undergo a radical overhaul.
‘The Level of Collectivism and the Potential for Mutual Assistance in the University Community Are Very High’
HSE University has found it easier than other universities to adapt to the current situation under the pandemic and transition to online education. On March 25, at a press conference at TASS, Russia’s largest news agency, HSE Rector Yaroslav Kuzminov spoke about the transition and shared his predictions about what the near future holds for education development.
‘It Is Difficult Times like These that Bring Us Closer Together’
On March 23, the working group of the Russian Ministry of Science and Higher Education devoted to university education met again to discuss how education should be organized as Russia seeks to prevent the spread of COVID-19. In particular, the group discussed tactics involving volunteerism on university campuses, examples from universities abroad, and developing student questionnaires in order to pinpoint the issues that Russian universities have encountered in their transition to distance learning.
Second meeting of the Faculty of Computer Science’s Board of Trustees
The second meeting of the Board of Trustees of the HSE University’s Faculty of Computer Science took place on March 12. Elena Bunina, Deputy Chair of the Board, CEO of Yandex, presided over the meeting.
Second meeting of the Faculty of Computer Science’s Board of Trustees
The second meeting of the Board of Trustees of the HSE University’s Faculty of Computer Science took place on March 12. Elena Bunina, Deputy Chair of the Board, CEO of Yandex, presided over the meeting.
HSE Tops List of Russian Universities Viewed Most Influential by Young People in RAEX Ranking
In a new RAEX Analytics ranking that evaluates Russian universities in terms of their societal influence, HSE took third place, leading the list in terms of popularity among young people and taking second place in terms of online influence.
HSE University Alumnus Helps Create Student Co-Working Space at MIEM
HSE University Rector Yaroslav Kuzminov and HSE alumnus Vladimir Potapov, CEO of VTB Capital Investment, have opened a student co-working space at MIEM HSE on Tallinskaya Ulitsa.
HSE University and Rosstat Sign Collaboration Agreement
HSE University and Russia’s Federal State Statistics Service (Rosstat) will organize working groups on issues related to statistical accounting and implement several joint research projects. On February 28, HSE Rector Yaroslav Kuzminov and Rosstat Head Pavel Malkov signed a roadmap outlining the planned bilateral cooperation.
‘Every Student Should Be Prepared for Life in the Digital World and Know How to Speak Its Language’
On January 16, HSE Rector Yaroslav Kuzminov spoke at the expert panel, ‘Digital Revolution in Education and New Training Technologies’, at the 2020 Gaidar Forum, ‘Russia and the World: Challenges of the New Decade’, which was held at the Russian Presidential Academy of National Economy and Public Administration (RANEPA).
'We Want HSE University to Develop Centres of Excellence'
The HSE Look is glad to present the second part of the interview with Rector Yaroslav Kuzminov, originally taken by our flagship bulletin Okna Rosta. This part focuses on new educational tools as well as old traditions, on cooperation with regional universities and the transformations to be achieved in the upcoming decade.
Project-Based Learning to Become the Core of the Updated Educational Model at HSE University
The best features of the university model created by HSE over the years will be preserved, but a new model is essential for further development. This new model will focus on project-based learning for all students, as well as the digital transformation in the field of education.
HSE University Signs Cooperation Agreement with Russia’s Federation Council
The parties agreed to cooperate on issues related to the improvement of legislation and law enforcement practices in an area that is the subject of research activity at HSE University.
Ambassadors and Embassy Representatives Gather for HSE University Day for Diplomatic Missions
On December 12, heads of missions and embassy representatives from over forty countries gathered in Moscow for HSE University Day for Diplomatic Missions. The event, which was held at HSE’s newly renovated Pokrovka campus, was aimed at fostering further cooperation between HSE and its international partners.
HSE University: Moving Towards 2030 Goals
Okna Rosta, HSE University's bulletin, published a two-part interview with Rector Yaroslav Kuzminov about HSE’s Development Strategy this fall, and The HSE Look is glad to present it to our English-speaking audience as well.
‘Developing Asian and Area Studies is a Huge Priority for the Next Decade’
Researchers and diplomats from 35 countries and eight Russian regional universities gathered at HSE University to discuss globalization in Asia and how it differs from what is taking place in Europe.
HSE University Confirmed as Top Performer in Russian Academic Excellence Project 5-100
Initiated in 2013, the Russian federal initiative, Academic Excellence Project 5-100, aims to maximize the competitive position of leading Russian universities in the global research and education market. On October 26, the Project Council concluded its seventh annual meeting in Moscow. At the meeting, delegations from participating universities presented reports of their progress in improving their international competitive edge.
RHEC 2019 International Higher Education Conference Underway at HSE
The tenth International Russian Higher Education Conference (RHEC) kicked off at the HSE University Moscow this week and will last until October 25. Bringing together over 400 participants from 15 countries, this year’s forum focuses on ‘Contributions of Higher Education to Society and Economy: Global, National and Local Perspectives.’
International Higher Education Conference Opens at HSE University in Moscow
The tenth International Russian Higher Education Conference (RHEC) has commenced in Moscow this week and will last until October 25. This year’s conference focuses on ‘Contributions of Higher Education to Society and Economy: Global, National and Local Perspectives.’
HSE and Unilever Continue to Educate Business Leaders of the Future
On a visit to HSE University on October 18, Unilever CEO Alan Jope met with university leadership and spoke to students in an open lecture about the social mission of business.
How Digital Innovation Impacts Educational Systems of Russia and China
In late September, IOE hosted the Second Russia–China Conference, Digital Transformation of Education and Artificial Intelligence. The event has offered a multifaceted forum for leading experts from the two countries to foreground and share the most important research, policy and practical perspectives in how the digital stride has been remolding various dimensions of the national education systems.
HSE Celebrates 25 Years of Educational Partnerships with the Netherlands
On October 2 and 3, HSE University simultaneously celebrated two anniversaries of Russian-Dutch academic cooperation: the 25th anniversary of joint educational programmes between HSE University and Erasmus University Rotterdam, and the 10th anniversary of the Dutch educational center, Nuffic Neso Russia, with which HSE has a long-standing partnership.
HSE University to Open Faculty of Geography and Geoinformation Technology
HSE University is opening a Faculty of Geography and Geoinformation Technology in partnership with the Institute of Geography of the Russian Academy of Sciences (IG RAS). The Faculty, which will focus on global climate change, geoinformatics, and social geography, plans to launch its first bachelor’s programme in 2020.