The Rector of the HSE Yaroslav Kyzminov on State Exams.
Yaroslav I. Kuzminov
- Academic Supervisor:Center for Institutional Studies
- Focus Area Academic Supervisor:Institute of Education
- Yaroslav I. Kuzminov has been at HSE University since 1993.
The HSE Rector's functions and responsibilities are defined by the HSE Charter. The Rector is the highest authority at the University and acts as its legal representative.
He is responsible for the management of education and research at the University. Each year he makes a plan for development and submits it to the Academic Council for consideration. The Rector is also responsible for implementing decisions made by the University Academic Council. He is responsible for academic activity at the University, he manages the HSE's budgets and resources; he organizes and manages the staff of the University.
The HSE Rector is generally responsible before the staff and the founding shareholders for all University activities.
Education, Degrees and Academic Titles
- 1996Associate Professor
Candidate of Sciences* (PhD) in Economics
Lomonosov Moscow State University
According to the International Standard Classification of Education (ISCED) 2011, Candidate of Sciences belongs to ISCED level 8 - "doctoral or equivalent", together with PhD, DPhil, D.Lit, D.Sc, LL.D, Doctorate or similar. Candidate of Sciences allows its holders to reach the level of the Associate Professor.
Achievements and promotion
Order ‘For Merit for the Fatherland’, 4th class (July 2012)
Letter of commendation from the Moscow City Committee for Public Affairs (April 2010)
Letter of acknowledgment from the President of Russia (April 2008)
Letter of commendation from the Russian Federation Federal Security Service (January 2008)
Certificate of honour from the RF Government (December 2007)
‘200th Anniversary of the Defense Ministry’ commemorative badge (November 2007)
Medal ‘For Strengthening Military Cooperation’ from the RF Ministry of Defense (May 2007)
‘Honorary employee of the RF Ministry of Economic Development and Trade’ badge (May 2007)
Order of Honour (November 2002)
Letter of commendation from the RF Ministry of Economic Development and Trade (October 2002)
Letter of acknowledgment from the Higher School of Economics (December 1998)
‘850th Anniversary of Moscow’ commemorative medal (December 1997)
Academic supervisor of dissertations for a Candidate of Science degree:
- Androuschak G.V. Socio-economic differentiation of borrowers as a factor in student loan system development in Russia, 2009
- Podkolzina E.A. Institutionalization of bankruptcy in Russia: incentives and behaviour of bankruptcy procedure participants, 2007
- Yudkevich M.M. Measurement costs and institutions of markets for credence goods, 2003
Publication productivity (total and over the last 5 years)
- Total number of papers – 66 (8)
- Number of papers in Q1-Q2 – 11 (2)
- Number of monographs (books) – 192 (86)
- Number of chapters in monographs (books) – 48 (4)
- Book Abdrakhmanova G., Vishnevskiy K., Gokhberg L., Demyanova A., Demidkina O. V., Kovaleva G. G., Kotsemir M. N., Kuznetsova I. A., Leven E., Ozerova O. K., Polyakova V., Ratay T. V., Ryzhikova Z. A., Streltsova E., Suslov A. B., Utyatina K. E., Fridlyanova S., Fursov K., Schugal N. B. Digital Economy: 2021: Pocket Data Book / Ed. by L. Gokhberg, E. Y. Kislyakov, Y. I. Kuzminov, M. Parshin, I. N. Shapoval. M. : HSE, 2021.
- Book Abdrakhmanova G., Vishnevskiy K., Gokhberg L., Demyanova A., Kevesh M. A., Kovaleva G. G., Kotsemir M. N., Kuznetsova I. A., Ozerova O. K., Polyakova V., Ratay T. V., Ryzhikova Z. A., Streltsova E., Suslov A. B., Utyatina K. E., Fridlyanova S., Fursov K., Schugal N. B. Digital Economy: 2020: Pocket Data Book / Ed. by L. Gokhberg, E. Kislyakov, Y. I. Kuzminov, M. Sabelnikova. National Research University Higher School of Economics, 2020.
- Chapter Kuzminov Y. I., Sorokin P. S., Froumin I. How can education contribute to socioeconomic development? Rethinking Human Capital for the Labour Market of the future, in: Bologna Process beyond 2020: Fundamental Values of the EHEA. Bononia University Press, 2020.
- Book Gokhberg L., Ditkovsky K. A., Lukinova E. I., Kotsemir M. N., Kuznetsova I. A., Martynova S. V., Polyakova V., Ratay T. V., Rosovetskaya L. A., Sagieva G. S., Streltsova E., Suslov A. B., Tarasenko I. I., Fridlyanova S., Fursov K. Science. Technology. Innovation: 2020: Pocket Data Book / Ed. by L. Gokhberg, Y. I. Kuzminov, A. Medvedev, M. Sabelnikova. National Research University Higher School of Economics, 2020.
- Book Abdrakhmanova G., Demyanova A., Dranev Y., Dyachenko E., Fridlyanova S., Fursov K., Gokhberg L., Kotsemir M. N., Kovaleva G. G., Kuznetsova I. A., Ratay T. V., Ryzhikova Z. A., Streltsova E., Vishnevskiy K. Digital Economy : Pocket Data Book / Ed. by L. Gokhberg, E. Kislyakov, Y. I. Kuzminov, M. Sabelnikova. M. : National Research University Higher School of Economics, 2019.
- Book Ditkovsky K. A., Fridlyanova S., Fursov K., Gokhberg L., Kuznetsova I. A., Kotsemir M. N., Lukinova E. I., Martynova S. V., Nefedova A., Ratay T. V., Rosovetskaya L. A., Sagieva G. S., Streltsova E., Suslov A. B., Tarasenko I. I. Science. Technology. Innovation: Pocket Data Book / Ed. by L. Gokhberg, Y. I. Kuzminov, A. Medvedev, M. Sabelnikova. M. : National Research University Higher School of Economics, 2019.
- Book Abankina I., Alashkevich M., Bolotov V., Dobryakova M. S., Dudyrev F., Froumin I., Koreshnikova Y., Korshunov I., Kosaretsky S., Mertsalova T., Odoevskaya E., Ovakimyan A., Platonova D., Semenov A., Semyonov D., Sergomanov P., Sorokin P. S., Uvarov A., Zinkovsky K. 12 Solutions for a New Education: Report by the Center for Strategic Research and the Higher School of Economics / Ed. by Y. I. Kuzminov, I. Froumin. M. : National Research University Higher School of Economics, 2018. doi
- Chapter Froumin I., Kuzminov Y. I. Common Legacy: Evolution of the Institutional Landscape of Soviet Higher Education, in: 25 Years of Transformations of Higher Education Systems in Post-Soviet Countries. Reform and Continuity / Ed. by J. Huisman, A. Smolentseva, I. Froumin. Palgrave Macmillan, 2018. doi P. 45-72. doi
- Chapter Froumin I., Kuzminov Y. I. Supply and Demand Patterns in Russian Higher Education, in: Higher Education in the BRICS Countries: Investigating the Pact between Higher Education and Society. Springer, 2015. P. 97-123.
- Article Kuzminov Y. I., Semenov D., Froumin I. The structure of the University network: From the Soviet to Russian "master Plan" // Russian Education and Society. 2015. Vol. 57. No. 4. P. 254-321. doi
- Article Froumin I., Kuzminov Y. I., Semyonov D. Institutional diversity in Russian higher education: revolutions and evolution // European Journal of Higher Education. 2014. Vol. 4. No. 3. P. 209-234.
- Book Gokhberg L., Zabaturina I. Y., Kovaleva N. V., Kuznetsova V. I., Ozerova O. K., Shuvalova O. R. Indicators of Education in the Russian Federation: Data Book / Ed. by L. Gokhberg, N. V. Kovaleva, Y. I. Kuzminov, I. Remorenko. M. : Higher School of Economics Publishing House, 2013.
- Book Fridlyanova S., Gokhberg L., Gorodnikova N., Gracheva G., Kouznetsova-Morenko I., Martynova S. V., Ratay T. V., Rosovetskaya L. A. Indicators of Innovation in the Russian Federation: Data Book / Отв. ред.: L. Gokhberg, Y. I. Kuzminov, K. Laykam, A. Naumov, A. K. Ponomarev, Z. A. Ryzhikova. M. : Higher School of Economics Publishing House, 2013.
- Book Abdrakhmanova G., Fridlyanova S., Gokhberg L., Kevesh M. A., Kuznetsova I. A., Kovaleva G. G., Lola I. S., Nechaeva E. G., Ostapkovich G. V., Shuvalova O. R. Information Society Indicators in the Russian Federation: Data Book / Ed. by L. Gokhberg, Y. I. Kuzminov, K. Laykam, I. Massoukh. M. : Higher School of Economics Publishing House, 2013.
- Book Fridlyanova S., Fursov K., Gokhberg L., Gorodnikova N., Gracheva G., Khramova E. B., Kirchyk O., Kouznetsova-Morenko I., Martynova S. V., Ratay T. V., Rosovetskaya L. A., Ryzhikova Z. A., Sagieva G. S., Shuvalova O. R. Science and Technology Indicators in the Russian Federation: Data Book / Ed. by A. Anopchenko, L. Gokhberg, Y. I. Kuzminov, K. Laykam. M. : Higher School of Economics Publishing House, 2013.
- Book Fridlyanova S., Belousova V., Fursov K., Gokhberg L., Gorodnikova N., Gracheva G., Khramova E. B., Kuznetsova I. A., Kovaleva G. G., Markova Y., Martynova S. V., Ratay T. V., Rosovetskaya L. A., Sagieva G. S., Studentsova E. Science and Technology. Innovation. Information Society: Pocket Data Book (2013) / Ed. by L. Gokhberg, I. Fedyukin, Y. I. Kuzminov, K. Laykam. M. : SU HSE Publishing House, 2013.
- Book The Global Future of Higher Education and the Academic Profession: The BRICs and the United States / Ed. by P. G. Altbach, L. Reisberg, M. M. Yudkevich, G. Androuschak, Y. I. Kuzminov. Palgrave Macmillan, 2013.
- Chapter Kuzminov Y. I. Academic Community and Contracts: Modern Challenges and Response, in: Paying the Professoriate: A Global Comparison of Compensation and Contracts / Ed. by P. G. Altbach, L. Reisberg, M. M. Yudkevich, G. Androuschak, I. Pacheco. L. : Routledge, 2012. P. 331-341.
- Book Fridlyanova S., Gokhberg L., Gorodnikova N., Gracheva G., Kuznetsova I. A., Martynova S. V., Ratay T. V., Rosovetskaya L. A. Indicators of Innovation in the Russian Federation: Data Book / Отв. ред.: L. Gokhberg, Y. I. Kuzminov, K. Laykam, A. Naumov, A. K. Ponomarev, Z. A. Ryzhikova. M. : Higher School of Economics Publishing House, 2012.
- Book Fridlyanova S., Fursov K., Gokhberg L., Gorodnikova N., Gracheva G., Khramova E. B., Kirchyk O., Kuznetsova I. A., Martynova S. V., Ratay T. V., Rosovetskaya L. A., Ryzhikova Z. A., Sagieva G. S., Shuvalova O. R. Science and Technology Indicators in the Russian Federation: Data Book / Ed. by A. Anopchenko, L. Gokhberg, Y. I. Kuzminov, K. Laykam. M. : Higher School of Economics Publishing House, 2012.
- Book Gokhberg L., Kovaleva N. V., Ozerova O. K., Shuvalova O. R., Zabaturina I. Y., Kuznetsova V. I., Remorenko I. Indicators of Education in the Russian Federation: Data Book / Ed. by L. Gokhberg, Y. I. Kuzminov, N. V. Kovaleva, I. Remorenko. M. : Higher School of Economics Publishing House, 2011.
- Article Kuzminov Y. I., Remorenko I., Rudnik B., Froumin I., Jakobson L. I., Volkov A. Russian Education in 2020: a Model of Education for Innovative Economy. Material for Discussion // Issues in Education. 2008. No. 1. P. 32-64.
- Preprint Kuzminov Y. I., Yudkevich M. M. Academic Freedom and University Standards for Teaching and Research / NRU Higher School of Economics. Series WP10 "Научные доклады Института институциональных исследований". 2007. No. 01.
- Article Kuzminov Y. I., Nikitin A. Optimizing the relationship between oil exporters and government // World Bank. Knowledge Economy. Theme D: Russia. 2005
- Article Prostakov I., Ananyin O. I., Kuzminov Y. I., Korolkov M. P. Economic reform: Institutional and structural aspects // Problems of Economic Transition. 1993. Vol. 36. No. 7. P. 52-65.
- Chair of the Commission for Education Development of the Civic Chamber of the Russian Federation
- Member of the Presidential Commission on civil service reform and development
- Member of the Presidential Council for facilitating the development of civil society institutions and human rights
- Member of the Interdepartmental Working Group of the priority national project "Education" of the Presidential Council for the implementation of the priority national projects
- Member of the Governmental Commission for realization of administrative reform
- Member of the Governmental Commission for assessment of the efficiency of the national and regional executive authorities activities
- Member of the Working Group for the development of the Federal Law "On Education in the Russian Federation'
- Co-chair of the Russian Public Council for Development of Education (ROSRO), established on the initiative of Yaroslav Kouzminov in 2001
Rector of National Research University Higher School of Economics (HSE)
Graduated in Economics from Moscow State University
From 1979 until 1989, Yaroslav Kuzminov lectured in the Department of Economic Theory and History of Economic Thought at Moscow State University. Later, from 1989 until 1993, he worked as a researcher at the Institute of Economics, Russian Academy of Sciences.
In 1992, Dr. Kuzminov, in cooperation with Prof. Evgeny Yasin, proposed the establishment of a new type of institution of higher education — the Higher School of Economics — to the Russian Government. And thus, he became the youngest rector of a state university in the Russian Federation.
At present, Yaroslav Kuzminov is a Professor, Head of the Department of Institutional Economics, and Academic Supervisor of the HSE Center for Institutional Studies (CInSt).Dr. Kuzminov is the author of more than 50 academic works published in Russia and abroad, as well as the co-author of over 10 monographs and textbooks on such subjects as institutional economics, economics of education and institutional reforms. He also is the Editor-in-Chief of the journal Voprosy Obrazovania (Journal of Educational Studies) and member of the editorial boards at Voprosy Ekonomiki, the HSE Economic Journal, Foresight and STI Governance, and Mir Rossii (World of Russia).
In 1989, Yaroslav Kuzminov founded the Istoki (Sources) almanac, the first periodical about economic history and economic institutions in Russia.He also took part in the development of proposals for Russia’s socio-economic policy for the period up until 2020, under the name ‘Strategy 2020’. Through this project, Dr. Kuzminov headed the expert group ‘Labor Market, Professional Education and Migration Policy’ (2012).
In 2002, Dr. Kuzminov was awarded with the Order of Honour by the Decree of the President of the Russian Federation. In 2003, the French Government made Dr. Kuzminov an Officer of the Ordre des Palmes Académiques (Order of Academic Palms). In 2009, he was awarded the International Leiontief Award ‘for achievements in the organization and radical modernization of economic education in Russia’. He has also received the following awards: ‘Order For Merit for the Fatherland’, 4th Class, by Russian President Vladimir Putin (2012); Acknowledgement from the Russian President (2013); Stolypin Medal, 2nd Class (2017); ‘Order For Merit for the Fatherland’, 3rd Class (2017); Badge ‘For Contribution to the Development of State Statistics’ (2017); Acknowledgement from the Russian President (2018); and Honorary Badge ‘Moscow State Duma. 25th Anniversary’ (2019).
Chief of Staff
Phone: +7 (495) 531-00-00; ext. 28203
Deputy Head of the Rector’s Office
Phone: (495) 628-58-61; ext. 11229
Documentation related to the Rector’s administrative activities, including expert assessment and coordination of incoming documents addressed to the Rector; monitoring the performance of the Rector’s assignments related to assignments and requests from the Russian Presidential Administration, Government of the Russian Federation, and Russian Government Staff; preparation of draft documents signed by the Rector.
Elena Kolbas, Secretary
Klavdia Ruchkina, Secretary
Yulia Frantsuzova, Secretary
Maria Turayeva, Secretary
Phone: +7 (495) 531-00-22;
Internal phone: 28-000; 28-008
Fax: +7 (495) 531-00-30 ;
11 Pokrovsky Boulevard, Room A308, Moscow
Vera Sitnina, Rector’s Press Secretary
Coordinating media relations and the Rector’s participation in media events, preparation of information materials (press releases, announcements, memos).
Meetings on private matters (on workdays):
Rector's Assistants and Advisers
Economics of education:
Elena Odoevskaya, Senior Assistant to the Rector
Coordinating education-related activities.
Elena Metelkova, Adviser to the Rector
- Coordination, as well as expert, analytical, and organizational support, for the activities of the Expert Group in the Priority Area of the Russian Federation’s Development - ‘Education’;
- Coordinating the activities of HSE departments directly involved in the provision of expert and analytical support for the Russian State Programme ‘Educational Development’ and the ‘HR and Education’ part of the ‘Russian e-Economy’ programme;
- Information and analytical support for the Rector’s activities related to his involvement in the National Coordination Council to Support Russia’s Young Talent.
Alexandra Serova, Adviser to the Rector
- Coordination, as well as expert, analytical, and organizational support for the activities of the Expert Group on the Development of Vocational Education and Training in the National Qualifications System – under the National Presidential Council on Professional Qualifications.
- Information and analytical support for the Rector’s activities with respect to his involvement in the Council on Federal Learning Standards and working groups under the Ministry of Science and Higher Education of the Russian Federation and the Federal Service for Supervision of Education and Science.
Educational policies and communication with universities:
Mikhail Lisyutkin, Rector's Assistant
Providing information and analytical support for the Rector’s activities in regards to educational policies and his communications with Russian and international universities and academic institutions.
Public surveys and data analysis:
Adele Ovakimyan, Rector's Assistant
Providing analytical and organizational support for the Rector’s activities in relation to sociological research and data analysis.
Daria Asaturian, Rector's Assistant
Providing analytical and organizational support for the Rector’s activities in relation to sociological research and data analysis.
Business community relations:
Shafiga Alieva, Rector's Assistant
Preparing analytical materials related to Rector’s relations with the business community.
Digital Office development strategy:
Alexey Chukarin, Adviser to Rector
Organization of working meetings of HSE’s administrative bodies and meetings with representatives of the student community:
Ivan Chernyavsky, Rector's Assistant
- Coordinating the activities and efforts of the HSE Student Council and its communications with the Rector;
- Institutional development of student self-governance at HSE;
- Issues related to the Rector’s communications with students and related associations;
- Review and consideration of requests from HSE students addressed to the Rector.
Trainee Advisers to the Rector
Students who have experience in student government and carrying out initiatives that are important for the university can become Trainee Advisers to the Rector.
During the year-long internship, students propose projects aimed at developing the university, as well as student academic, extracurricular and research experience at HSE. They also facilitate dialogue between the new cohorts of student government and the university administration.
Implementing projects aimed at involving the student community in the university’s academic and research activities.
Implementing projects aimed at developing the university’s feedback channels and dialogue within the community.
Implementing projects aimed at assessing the regulatory impact of HSE’s internal policies and procedures in the academic sphere, as well as their improvement.
Rector's Office Staff
Svetlana Frolova, Rector's Assistant
Organizing and writing minutes for the Rector’s Council sessions and meetings chaired by the Rector;
Supervising the completion and updating of the personal webpages of Rector’s Office staff.
Elena Subbotina, Rector's Assistant
Documentation support for the Rector’s activities;
Organizing the flow of e-documents;
Supervising the presentation and implementation of documents addressed to the Rector;
Maintaining the archive of the Rector’s Office.
Yulia Astakhova, Adviser
Identifying organizational issues and providing the Rector with information, analytical and expert materials in regards to meetings of presidential, governmental, and federal executive committees and councils.
Elena Erokhina, Rector's Assistant
Organizing and participating in the Rector’s meetings and negotiations, along with writing meeting minutes;
Yaroslav Kuzminov, Rector of the Higher School of Economics, explained to Ogoniok magazine the ‘concept of a national system to detect and develop young talent’, a concept he helped originate.
“In general, I support the idea of monitoring. I think that it is the right decision and a brave one, for the Ministry of Education to conduct a public evaluation of HEIs,” said the Rector of HSE, Yaroslav Kuzminov in an interview with “Rossiskaya Gazeta”.
The Russian government, unhappy with the current skill levels of university professors and teachers, is planning to improve the proficiency of academics by encouraging their more active engagement in scientific work and research.
HSE faculty and staff on Sputnik V, Russia’s first vaccine against COVID-19
On January 14, at the 2021 Gaidar Forum, which was held at the Russian Presidential Academy of National Economy and Public Administration (RANEPA), HSE University Rector Yaroslav Kuzminov and leaders of three other institutions signed an agreement to establish the Human Capital Multidisciplinary Research Center (HCMRC). The other co-signers were RANEPA Rector Vladimir Mau, MGIMO University Rector Anatoly Torkunov, and Dmitry Funk, Director of the N.N. Miklukho-Maclay Institute of Ethnology and Anthropology of the Russian Academy of Sciences. The Center will focus on that key areas of human capital studies that are of current global importance.
The Global Energy Association awards outstanding Russian scholars for their contributions to the development of the national power engineering industry on their professional holiday – national Power Engineers’ Day. Professor Viktor Maslov, a RAS member, Doctor of Sciences (Physics and Math), and MIEM Research Professor, has become the first winner of the Honorary Diploma from the Association ‘for his fundamental contributions to upholding nuclear power safety’.
Among the wide range of issues considered at the VII global conference on new educational technologies, EdCrunch On Demand, two topics were highlighted: the development of the education system during the pandemic and the further improvement of the competitiveness of Russian higher education. Conference participants concluded that the future of education lies in a combination of online and offline studies, that it is necessary to invest in different types of universities, and that universities will have to compete with start-ups and large corporations.
The 2020 eSTARS conference, organized by HSE University in partnership with the global educational platform Coursera, has commenced. For the first time in its history, the event is being held entirely online. At the plenary session and the first panel session, representatives of the world's leading universities, their associations, and educational platforms spoke about the role of digitalization in the development of higher education, the impact of the pandemic on education, and new approaches to how teachers and students can interact.
Today, we need a coordinated agenda in order to understand how to develop a comfortable and safe technological environment and make the consequences of rapid technological development forecastable and manageable. This is what HSE Rector Yaroslav Kuzminov said at the National Academic Online Conference ‘Ethical and Legal Issues of Digital Transformation: From Conflict to Harmony?’
Jointly organized by HSE University and Coursera, the international eLearning Stakeholders and Researchers Summit (eSTARS 2020) will be held from December 1 – 2, 2020. It will be the third time the organizers bring together international stakeholders from governments, the academic community, busines, as well as researchers and experts to discuss the present and future of online education.
Yaroslav Kuzminov: A University That Learns — Three Missions and Three Pillars of a Modern University
A university in the modern world cannot remain an ‘isolated entity’ that focuses on education and scientific activity. Through public projects and initiatives, it has a significant impact on the development of both the country as a whole and its regions. This activity, which includes volunteering, charity, social support for students, and the transmission of knowledge to engaged citizens, has become known as the ‘third mission’.Yaroslav Kuzminov, Rector of HSE University, has published an opinion piece about the University’s ‘third mission’ in the VTimes.
What lies at the core of the European integration? What motto keeps Europe alive? Has European model become outdated and is it capable of adapting to the changing reality? These and other questions were the focus of the online talk delivered by Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of the Federal Republic of Germany to the Russian Federation Géza Andreas von Geyr at the invitation of HSE University. The lecture was attended by students, scholars, and members of the press from around the world.
What new opportunities does the pandemic present? How have Russian and international companies adapted? Will remote work continue? What skills will be in demand due to the transformation of the labour market? On November 12, HSE University Rector Yaroslav Kuzminov discussed these questions in his talk, ‘Digitalism and the Pandemic Are Coming: Consequences for the Labour Market and Corporate Culture’ at the TMK Horizons International Forum.
On September 13, 2020, the HSE University campus in Nizhny Novgorod turned 24 years. The grand opening of the campus back then was attended by Evgeny Yasin, Minister of Economy of the Russian Federation and HSE Academic Supervisor, and Boris Nemtsov, Governor of Nizhny Novgorod Oblast. This was the first HSE campus outside Moscow, and kickstarted the university’s spatial expansion.
What are the hallmarks of future-proof education? How do minors benefit students? How will people interact with machines? These were some of the topics that HSE Rector and IOE Academic Supervisor, Yaroslav Kuzminov addressed in a recent conversation with Elena Bunina, General Director at Yandex Russia.
What should an undergraduate education entail? How do the minors benefit students? How will people interact with machines? These were some of the questions discussed by HSE Rector Yaroslav Kuzminov and Elana Bunina, Yandex General Director in Russia, in a conversation about future professions at HSE Day.
HSE University Rector Yaroslav Kuzminov has welcomed first year students to HSE University. He told the newly enrolled students about the importance of wearing masks on campus, the autumn flu vaccination, as well as important changes in the educational process. The rector also congratulated them on starting their student life at HSE University.
Project work in the Faculty of Humanities can be divided into three categories of varying scale. Megaprojects bring together employees of different HSE faculties and campuses; projects bring together employees at the faculty level; and more localized projects, which have been tentatively defined as initiative projects, are implemented by teams on an initiative basis. This project work structure and other issues were discussed on Wednesday, July 29 at a meeting of the HSE University administration.
‘The Central Role of Communication in Education Is Not Going Anywhere’: HSE Rector on the Revolution in Higher Education, the Prestige of Russian Education, and the Outcomes of the Pandemic
In an interview with Forbes, HSE University Rector Yaroslav Kuzminov discussed the digitalization of education and what he thinks the future holds in store for universities. Below is an abridged translation of the interview. The full-length interview in Russian is available on the Forbes website.
The HSE University administration has approved proposed structural changes to the Faculty of Law and the Faculty of the Humanities. The changes will streamline managerial processes and better facilitate the faculties’ pursuit of research and educational objectives. The changes will take effect at the start of new academic year on September 1, 2020.
HSE University has taken 41st place, becoming the only Russian university on the Top 50 of the Times Higher Education Young University Rankings.
HSE University took 31st place in the QS Top 50 Under 50 Ranking, climbing seven places, even in the face of the growing competition in the higher tier of this ranking.
HSE University took 298th place in the 2021 QS World University Rankings, improving its ranking by 24 positions compared to last year and entering the first quartile of the world’s leading universities. HSE University now ranks among the world’s top 300 universities in two international rankings: the Quacquarelli Symonds World University Rankings and the Times Higher Education World University Rankings.
With five hours of networking, 22 ‘video guest halls’, and over 800 visitors from 16 countries, this year’s MIEM TechnoShow was a spectacular online exhibition. Attendees could visit various ‘rooms’ to see the projects MIEM students had been working on this past academic year.
The HSE University International Advisory Committee met online on May 19 to discuss the proposed Codes of Conduct for faculty and students, as well as assess the university’s transition to online learning.
What does the post-COVID future have in store for museums, universities, and the media? Does big data protect us or pose a threat? What are the prospects for fashion shows, cinema, and theaters? How are different generations experiencing the pandemic? These and other issues were discussed at the annual festival of communications, design, and media.
HSE experts participated in the first international online forum, ‘The World, Post-Coronavirus: A View from the Heart of Eurasia’, which was held on April 28 in Ufa on the initiative of the Bashkortostan government. Scholars, businessmen, and politicians from different countries discussed threats, opportunities, and solutions for the economy and the social sphere.
An online discussion on the topic of ‘New Higher Education: After the Period of Compulsory Remote Operation’ was held on April 27 as part of the Moscow International Education Fair MIEF-2020. The discussants included Dmitry Afanasiev, Russia’s Deputy Minister of Science and Higher Education; Vladimir Mau, Rector of RANEPA; and Yaroslav Kuzminov, Rector of HSE University.
This pocket data book contains the main S&T and innovation indicators for the Russian Federation. The publication includes the most recent statistical data on R&D input and output, as well as international comparisons.
All HSE students and graduate students will have the week from March 28 to April 5, 2020, off. HSE Rector Yaroslav Kuzminov has signed the relevant order.
In an op-ed for RB K, HSE Rector Yaroslav Kuzminov laid out his predictions about the changes that await us in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic: on-site office workers will be reduced by a third, retail business will go completely digital, and both healthcare and education will undergo a radical overhaul.
‘The Level of Collectivism and the Potential for Mutual Assistance in the University Community Are Very High’
HSE University has found it easier than other universities to adapt to the current situation under the pandemic and transition to online education. On March 25, at a press conference at TASS, Russia’s largest news agency, HSE Rector Yaroslav Kuzminov spoke about the transition and shared his predictions about what the near future holds for education development.
On March 23, the working group of the Russian Ministry of Science and Higher Education devoted to university education met again to discuss how education should be organized as Russia seeks to prevent the spread of COVID-19. In particular, the group discussed tactics involving volunteerism on university campuses, examples from universities abroad, and developing student questionnaires in order to pinpoint the issues that Russian universities have encountered in their transition to distance learning.
The second meeting of the Board of Trustees of the HSE University’s Faculty of Computer Science took place on March 12. Elena Bunina, Deputy Chair of the Board, CEO of Yandex, presided over the meeting.
The second meeting of the Board of Trustees of the HSE University’s Faculty of Computer Science took place on March 12. Elena Bunina, Deputy Chair of the Board, CEO of Yandex, presided over the meeting.
In a new RAEX Analytics ranking that evaluates Russian universities in terms of their societal influence, HSE took third place, leading the list in terms of popularity among young people and taking second place in terms of online influence.
HSE University Rector Yaroslav Kuzminov and HSE alumnus Vladimir Potapov, CEO of VTB Capital Investment, have opened a student co-working space at MIEM HSE on Tallinskaya Ulitsa.
HSE University and Russia’s Federal State Statistics Service (Rosstat) will organize working groups on issues related to statistical accounting and implement several joint research projects. On February 28, HSE Rector Yaroslav Kuzminov and Rosstat Head Pavel Malkov signed a roadmap outlining the planned bilateral cooperation.
On January 16, HSE Rector Yaroslav Kuzminov spoke at the expert panel, ‘Digital Revolution in Education and New Training Technologies’, at the 2020 Gaidar Forum, ‘Russia and the World: Challenges of the New Decade’, which was held at the Russian Presidential Academy of National Economy and Public Administration (RANEPA).
The HSE Look is glad to present the second part of the interview with Rector Yaroslav Kuzminov, originally taken by our flagship bulletin Okna Rosta. This part focuses on new educational tools as well as old traditions, on cooperation with regional universities and the transformations to be achieved in the upcoming decade.
The best features of the university model created by HSE over the years will be preserved, but a new model is essential for further development. This new model will focus on project-based learning for all students, as well as the digital transformation in the field of education.
The parties agreed to cooperate on issues related to the improvement of legislation and law enforcement practices in an area that is the subject of research activity at HSE University.
On December 12, heads of missions and embassy representatives from over forty countries gathered in Moscow for HSE University Day for Diplomatic Missions. The event, which was held at HSE’s newly renovated Pokrovka campus, was aimed at fostering further cooperation between HSE and its international partners.
Okna Rosta, HSE University's bulletin, published a two-part interview with Rector Yaroslav Kuzminov about HSE’s Development Strategy this fall, and The HSE Look is glad to present it to our English-speaking audience as well.
Researchers and diplomats from 35 countries and eight Russian regional universities gathered at HSE University to discuss globalization in Asia and how it differs from what is taking place in Europe.
Initiated in 2013, the Russian federal initiative, Academic Excellence Project 5-100, aims to maximize the competitive position of leading Russian universities in the global research and education market. On October 26, the Project Council concluded its seventh annual meeting in Moscow. At the meeting, delegations from participating universities presented reports of their progress in improving their international competitive edge.
The tenth International Russian Higher Education Conference (RHEC) kicked off at the HSE University Moscow this week and will last until October 25. Bringing together over 400 participants from 15 countries, this year’s forum focuses on ‘Contributions of Higher Education to Society and Economy: Global, National and Local Perspectives.’
The tenth International Russian Higher Education Conference (RHEC) has commenced in Moscow this week and will last until October 25. This year’s conference focuses on ‘Contributions of Higher Education to Society and Economy: Global, National and Local Perspectives.’
On a visit to HSE University on October 18, Unilever CEO Alan Jope met with university leadership and spoke to students in an open lecture about the social mission of business.
In late September, IOE hosted the Second Russia–China Conference, Digital Transformation of Education and Artificial Intelligence. The event has offered a multifaceted forum for leading experts from the two countries to foreground and share the most important research, policy and practical perspectives in how the digital stride has been remolding various dimensions of the national education systems.
On October 2 and 3, HSE University simultaneously celebrated two anniversaries of Russian-Dutch academic cooperation: the 25th anniversary of joint educational programmes between HSE University and Erasmus University Rotterdam, and the 10th anniversary of the Dutch educational center, Nuffic Neso Russia, with which HSE has a long-standing partnership.
HSE University is opening a Faculty of Geography and Geoinformation Technology in partnership with the Institute of Geography of the Russian Academy of Sciences (IG RAS). The Faculty, which will focus on global climate change, geoinformatics, and social geography, plans to launch its first bachelor’s programme in 2020.
The agreement provides for academic and cultural cooperation between the universities, student exchange, and joint research. HSE University and the University of Bergen have been partners in educational initiatives for eight years. The partnership began when the HSE Faculty of Law signed an agreement with the Norwegian university.
On September 20, HSE University Rector Yaroslav Kuzminov and Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of the Italian Republic Pasquale Terracciano signed a cooperation agreement between the Embassy of Italy and HSE University.
HSE’s long-awaited annual event has passed, but our memories of it are still fresh—the workshops, the dancing, the lectures, the scientific experiments, the exclusive concert by Tima Belorusskih and Feduk—there are too many to name! HSE News Service is here to give you the lowdown on HSE Day 2019.
HSE University commenced the new academic year with a housewarming party marking the long-awaited opening of its new campus complex on Pokrovsky Boulevard. Rector Yaroslav Kuzminov, Academic Supervisor Evgeny Yasin, and vice rectors of the university took part in the event to welcome students, faculty, and staff.
HSE University Rector and Academic Supervisor welcome first year students and talk about the key features of HSE University.
On August 22, HSE leaders, including the University Rector Yaroslav Kuzminov and Head of IOE Isak Froumin, met with Jaime Saavedra, Director of the World Bank's Education Global Practice.
On August 22, HSE University leadership met with Jaime Saavedra, Head of the World Bank's Education Global Practice.
The document, signed by HSE Rector Yaroslav Kuzminov and RAS President Alexander Sergeev, formalizes agreements on joint work in education, the training of future researchers, and the support and promotion of research.
On July 24, HSE University Rector Yaroslav Kuzminov and State Hermitage Museum Director Mikhail Piotrovsky officially signed a cooperation agreement. The university and the museum will collaborate on joint educational projects and research.
On July 24, the second annual International Economics Olympiad (IEO) for high school students kicked off at HSE University in St. Petersburg. The competition is organized by HSE University with the support of Sberbank. Students from 24 countries will compete over the course of a week. The winners will be able to enroll in any HSE Economics programme in 2020 with a full tuition scholarship.
The new issue of the Foresight and STI Governance journal is devoted to the impact of technological progress on employment prospects and the development of competencies. This problem is viewed from the perspective of employees, companies and regions.
HSE University and the United Nations Human Settlements Programme signed an agreement to conduct joint research on urban development. HSE Rector Yaroslav Kuzminov and UN Under-Secretary-General Maimunah Mohd Sharif, who heads the UN-Habitat programme, signed the letter of intent at the recent Moscow Urban Forum, which was held on July 4-7 at Moscow’s Zaryadye Park.
As part of the International Partners Week, a ceremony of setting up Ca' Foscari University Information Corner at HSE University took place on June 19.
This document, signed by HSE Rector Yaroslav Kuzminov and Acting Governor of St. Petersburg Alexander Beglov at SPIEF-2019, foresees the pursuit of joint projects for the city’s socio-economic development, as well as training programmes for the city administration and the local business community.
A weather vane in the shape of a big-beaked bird has appeared near the HSE building on Myasnitskaya Street in Moscow. The Crow’s ceremonial unveiling coincided with the 85th birthday of HSE Academic Supervisor Evgeny Yasin, who initiated it as our university’s mascot.
Russian Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev reappointed HSE Rector Yaroslav Kuzminov for a new five-year term.
On April 26, the HSE Academic Council approved a charter for the creation of a Board of Trustees at the Faculty of Computer Science. Board members include senior executives from Yandex, JetBrains, SAS, 1C, and Sberbank. The endowment will be used by the faculty to fund long-term projects.
The role of regional and specialized institutions of higher education in achieving national development goals must increase, and leading universities will help them. This was the conclusion reached by participants of the plenary session on Russian higher education that took place as part of the XX April International Academic Conference.
The role of regional and industrial institutions of higher education in achieving national development goals must increase, and leading universities will help them. This was the conclusion reached by participants of the plenary session on Russian higher education that took place as part of the XX April International Academic Conference.
National objectives for social development, as well as existing risks and opportunities in implementing these objectives were discussed by participants of HSE International April Conference.
The XX April International Academic Conference continued on April 11 with a discussion on digitalization of the economy and public administration. Maxim Akimov, Deputy Prime Minister of Russia and Curator of the Digital Economy National Programme, spoke about digital business models, public administration, digitalization in industry and science, and the impact of digital technology on the job market.
The social mobility system created under President Vladimir Putin’s initiative begins with a search for talented children and ends with training and selection of the best top executives. On April 10, the participants of a plenary session on ‘The New System of Social Mobility in Russia as a Way to Renew the Elite’ at theXX April International Academic Conference discussed the details of this system, as well as its future outlook.
The first plenary session of the HSE XX April International Academic Conference continued with a discussion on the sources of economic growth, budgetary policy priorities, as well as investment in infrastructure and human capital. Experts from HSE joined other participants to speak on these issues.
The agreement establishes a student- and academic-exchange programme and the opportunity for joint educational and research project development. The agreement was signed on April 8 with the participation of representatives of the government of North Rhine-Westphalia.
On March 20, at the HSE Staff and Student Conference, HSE Rector Yaroslav Kuzminov presented the key points of the new Development Programme for the period extending to 2030. The points he suggested have prompted a series of discussions in the university corporate environment aimed at choosing the best avenues and tools for development.
At the HSE Staff and Student Conference on March 20, Rector Yaroslav Kuzminov presented a report on how the ‘HSE Development Programme for 2009–2015 and up to 2020’ has progressed since 2014.
Valery Katkalo, former Dean of Sberbank Corporate University, will be taking on the role of HSE Vice Rector for Continuing Education. HSE Rector Yaroslav Kuzminov announced the appointment at the Staff and Student Conference, which was held in Moscow.
On March 19, 2019, HSE hosted a launch ceremony for its new India Corner, which is housed in the School of Asian Studies and will serve as an open space for dialogue and collaboration with regard to Russia-India relations. The Corner will host cultural and scientific events related to the modern development of India, as well as open business seminars between Russia and India.
On February 12 at the Russian Ministry of Education and Science, HSE and five institutes of the Russian Academy of Sciences (RAS) signed agreements to collaborate in the field of scientific education. The institutions have pledged to contribute to the development of new faculties of chemistry as well as biology and biotechnology at HSE.
The Higher School of Economics Proposes Measures to Unlock the Potential of Science in Russian Universities
Speaking at the Professor’s Forum on February 7, Yaroslav Kuzminov, Rector of the Higher School of Economics, noted that science in Russia, especially in Russian universities, is underfunded, and suggested several steps to support Russian researchers and help them reach their full potential.
The exposition ‘Osip Mandelstam – End of the Road’ located in the HSE building at 20 Myasnitskaya Street in Moscow reconstructs the final 11 weeks of the poet’s life and profiles many of his contemporaries.
The pocket data book contains main indicators characterising S&T and innovation potential of the Russian Federation. There are the information about intellectual property, S&T output, data of international comparisons given.
The data book prepared by Institute for Statistical Studies and Economics of Knowledge, National Research University Higher School of Economics (HSE ISSEK) covers data on the level and trends in the education indicators in the Russian Federation, including comparative international data. Some sections contain an assessment of the educational attainment of students, relation between the educational attainment and the labour market, education funding, enrolment, personnel, and conditions of studying.
Members of the International Advisory Committee (IAC) and the HSE administration have discussed the results of the committee’s annual meeting.
New faculties, personnel development, internationalisation, and much more – these are all things on the agenda of the annual International Advisory Committee (IAC) meeting currently taking place in Moscow.
Digitalization Helps Universities Expand Their Horizons and Improve the Quality of Education: Results of eSTARS-2018
Large online courses will become even more in-demand since the quality and accessibility of education is rising. They will not, however, replace traditional in-person interactions between student and teacher. By relying effectively on digital technologies, universities can ensure a new level of education quality, which, in turn, can meet the challenges of today’s economy. Discussions of online education, at its current stage of development, should be focused not so much on technological solutions, but rather on ecosystems, which encompass students, universities, corporations, states and tech firms, where related human experiences and meanings are of extreme importance. This was the conclusion of participants in the eSTARS 2018 international academic conference on the present and future of online education. HSE and the online learning platform Coursera teamed up to host the event in Moscow on December 5-6.
Large online courses will become even more popular since the quality and accessibility of education is rising. They will not, however, replace traditional in-person interactions between student and teacher. This was the conclusion of participants in the eSTARS 2018 international academic conference on the present and future of online education. HSE and the online learning platform Coursera teamed up to host the event in Moscow on December 5-6.
Valeria Kasamara, Senior Director for Government Relations, has been appointed new Vice Rector for Student and Alumni Relations, taking over the position from Igor Chirikov*. She spoke to the HSE News Service about what is special about the contemporary students, and about her plans for the new position.
The winners are 16 staff members in seven ‘golden’ categories and 21 students in the ‘Silver Nestling’ category. The winners of the ‘Golden Citation’, which is awarded to the most cited HSE scholar, have also been announced. The awards ceremony was held on November 27, on the HSE's birthday.
From October 26-27, a regular meeting of the Russian Academic Excellence Project 5-100 was held in Kaliningrad. The academic institutions involved in the project presented the results of their work and plans for the upcoming period of their respective roadmaps.
Among an entire host of reinvigorating discussions that were featured at this year’s EdCrunch international conference, one topic that received special attention was how the ubiquitous digital move and Big Data can help advance education. Yaroslav Kuzminov, HSE Rector and Academic Supervisor for Education, talked about online courses as a means to update the university curriculum and bring training in sync with the modern-day pace of life, student expectations and economic needs.
The #EdCrunch educational conference has started in Moscow, with HSE being its main partner for the first time ever. One of the most interesting discussions at this event concerned how new technologies and Big Data may improve the quality of education and change universities in general.
Why go to school when there is the internet? Is it not time to throw out traditional textbooks? Can teachers become YouTube stars? At the latest EdCrunch conference, elementary school children posed these questions to experts from the field of education. Among those ‘called to the board’ was HSE Rector Yaroslav Kuzminov. The HSE News Service recorded the most interesting questions and answers below.
The website ‘Modern Digital Educational Environment in the Russian Federation’ has integrated an automated service for psychometric data analysis, which helps to improve the quality of educational content and the effectiveness of studying by analyzing the ‘digital footprints’ of students enroled in online courses.
In 2019, HSE will begin enrolling students in undergraduate programmes at two new faculties: the Faculty of Chemistry, and the Faculty of Biology and Biotechnology. These faculties will work in partnership with leading RAS institutions where students will be carrying out research.
On September 13, we celebrated yet another HSE Day, our annual start-of-the-academic-year festival, which is followed the year’s tough road of studies. Let’s look at some pictures from the events at Gorky Park and relive its best moments!
This event was initiated by the Higher School of Economics (HSE) and is supported by the Sberbank Charity Fund ‘Contribution to the Future’ and the New Economic School. A total of 63 contestants from 13 countries are competing in the Olympiad. All of them have passed a rigorous selection process and are national competition winners.
From September 15 – 21, Moscow will host the very first International Economics Olympiad for high school students. Students from 15 countries who have won national competitions in economics and finance will take part in the event. Russian high school students have the opportunity to compete online.
Last week at HSE University – St. Petersburg turned out to be really eventful. First of all, we finally met our international freshmen, or at least most of them. The orientation sessions, followed by the Common Arrival Days, offered a chance to get acquainted with people, resources and processes. Secondly, we celebrated HSE SPb Day devoted to the anniversary of the campus – it has turned twenty this year! During these years we have been dreaming about many things, but who doesn’t when they are young.
Last week at HSE University – St. Petersburg turned out to be really eventful. First of all, we finally met our international freshmen, or at least most of them. The orientation sessions, subsequent the Common Arrival Days, offered a chance to get acquainted with people, resources and processes. Secondly, we celebrated HSE SPb Day devoted to the anniversary of the campus – it has turned twentythis year! During these years we have been dreaming about many things, but who don’t when they are young.
HSE Day is an annual event that never fails to surprise guests with something new. Below is a list of six new themed events to be featured at this year’s festival in Gorky Park on September 13.