Konstantin Sonin, a professor of economics and vice rector at the HSE on the need to respect Central Bank's independence in determining monetary policy.
- Member of the HSE Academic Council
- Konstantin Sonin has been at HSE University since 2007.
Education and Degrees
Candidate of Sciences* (PhD) in Mathematical Logic, Algebra and Number Theory
Lomonosov Moscow State University
Lomonosov Moscow State University
According to the International Standard Classification of Education (ISCED) 2011, Candidate of Sciences belongs to ISCED level 8 - "doctoral or equivalent", together with PhD, DPhil, D.Lit, D.Sc, LL.D, Doctorate or similar. Candidate of Sciences allows its holders to reach the level of the Associate Professor.
Awards and Accomplishments
Student Term / Thesis Papers
E. Stoyan, Parimutuel Betting on the eSports Duels: Evidence of the Reverse Favourite-Longshot Bias. Faculty of Economic Sciences, 2020
A. Sluch, Theoretical Consequences of Propaganda in the Aspect of Strategical Interaction Between Politicians. Faculty of Economic Sciences, 2019
S. Pankratev, Conditional Resource Curse. Faculty of Economic Sciences, 2018
L. Lukyantseva, A Model of Moody Choice. Faculty of Economic Sciences, 2018
Y. Evsyukova, Why Does the Government Sometimes Decide Not To Inform the Population About an Increased Threat of Terrorism?. Faculty of Economic Sciences, 2017
N. Avkhimovich, Mega-events Prefer Autocracies: Evidence from the Olympic Games. Faculty of Economic Sciences, 2017
I. Mukhamedzhanova, Anti-Imperialism as a Political Strategy. Faculty of Economic Sciences, 2017
S. Aleksenko, Political Succession System in China: Political Stability in Non-Democratic Regimes. Faculty of Economic Sciences, 2017
A. Denisenko, Exit, Voice and Loyalty. On the Way to Democracy.. Faculty of Economic Sciences, 2017
I. Kozis, Brain Drain in Non-Democratic Regimes. Faculty of Economic Sciences, 2016
I. Sultanov, Negative Campaigning: Countermove Strategy. Faculty of Economic Sciences, 2016
Y. Zhestkova, Catch Me if You Can: Election Manipulation in Non-democracies. Faculty of Economic Sciences, 2016
A. Golyaev, Analysis of Russian Football Economics. Faculty of Economic Sciences, 2016
D. Akhmetbekov, Information Mechanisms for the Spread of Protests. International College of Economics and Finance, 2018
M. Marakulin, An Economic Model of Propaganda. International College of Economics and Finance, 2016
Articles and book chapters33
- Article Egorov G., Sonin K. Elections in Nondemocracies // The Economic Journal. 2020 (in press)
- Chapter Acemoglu D., Egorov G., Sonin K. Institutional Change and Institutional Persistence, in: Handbook of Historical Economics. Elsevier North Holland, 2020. (in press)
- Article Boleslavsky R., Shadmehr M., Sonin K. Media Freedom in the Shadow of a Coup // Journal of the European Economic Association, JEEA. 2020 (in press)
- Article Sonin K. The Historical Perspective on the Trump Puzzle: A Review of Barry Eichengreen’s “The Populist Temptation: Economic Grievance and Political Reaction in the Modern Era” // Journal of Economic Literature. 2020 (in press)
- Article Acemoglu D., Egorov G., Sonin K. Social Mobility and Stability of Democracy: Re-evaluating de Tocqueville // Quarterly Journal of Economics. 2018. Vol. 133. No. 2. P. 1041-1105. doi
- Article Dagaev D., Sonin K. Winning by Losing: Incentive Incompatibility in Multiple Qualifiers // Journal of Sports Economics. 2018. Vol. 19. No. 8. P. 1122-1146. doi
- Article Egorov G. V., Sonin K. The Killing Game: A Theory of Non-democratic Succession // Research in Economics. 2015. Vol. 69. No. 3. P. 398-411.
- Article Gehlbach S. G., Sonin K. Government Control of Media // Journal of Public Economics. 2014. Vol. 118. P. 163-171.
- Article Acemoglu D., Egorov G., Sonin K. A Political Theory of Populism // Quarterly Journal of Economics. 2013. No. 128(2). P. 771-805.
- Article Acemoglu D., Egorov G., Sonin K. Dynamics and Stability of Constitutions, Coalitions, and Clubs // American Economic Review. 2012. No. 102 (4). P. 1446-1476.
- Article Daley B., Schwarz M., Sonin K. Efficient Actions in a Dynamic Auction Environment // Games and Economic Behavior. 2012. No. 75 (1). P. 104-119.
- Article Guriev S., Kolotilin A., Sonin K. Determinants of Nationalization in the Oil Sector: A Theory and Evidence from Panel Data // Journal of Law, Economics, and Organization. 2011. No. 27 (2). P. 301-323.
- Article Egorov G., Sonin K. Dictators and Their Viziers: Endogenizing the Loyalty-Competence Trade-off // Journal of European Economic Association. 2011. No. 9 (5). P. 903-930.
- Article Acemoglu D., Egorov G., Sonin K. Political Model of Social Evolution // Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America. 2011. No. 108. P. 21292-21296.
- Article Gregory P., Shroeder P., Sonin K. Rational Dictators and the Killing of Innocents: Data from Stalin's Archives // Journal of Comparative Economics. 2011. No. 39 (1). P. 34-42.
- Article Gehlbach S., Zhuravskaya E., Sonin K. Businessman Candidates // American Journal of Political Science. 2010. No. 54 (3). P. 718-736.
- Article Acemoglu D., Egorov G., Sonin K. Political Selection and the Persistence of Bad Government // Quarterly Journal of Economics. 2010. No. 125 (4). P. 1511-1575.
- Article Sonin K. Provincial Protectionism // Journal of Comparative Economics. 2010. No. 38 (2). P. 111-122.
- Article Guriev S., Sonin K. Dictators and Oligarchs: A Dynamic Theory of Contested Property Rights // Journal of Public Economics. 2009. No. 93 (1-2). P. 1-13.
- Article Acemoglu D., Egorov G. V., Sonin K. Do Juntas Lead to Personal Rule? // American Economic Review Papers and Proceedings. 2009. No. 99 (2). P. 298-303.
- Article Guriev S., Egorov G. V., Sonin K. Why Resource-Poor Dictators Allow Freer Media: A Theory and Evidence from Panel Data // American Political Science Review. 2009. No. 103 (4). P. 645-668.
- Article Schwarz M., Sonin K. A Theory of Brinkmanship, Conflicts, and Commitment // Journal of Law, Economics, and Organization. 2008. No. 24 (1). P. 163-183.
- Article Acemoglu D., Egorov G. V., Sonin K. Coalition Formation in Non-Democracies // Review of Economic Studies. 2008. No. 75 (4). P. 987-1009.
- Article Lambert-Mogiliansky A., Zhuravskaya E., Sonin K. Are Russian Commercial Courts Biased? Evidence from a Bankruptcy Law Transplant // Journal of Comparative Economics. 2007. No. 35-2. P. 253-442.
- Article Lambert-Mogiliansky A., Sonin K. Corruption and Collusive Market-Sharing in Procurement // Journal of Economics and Management Strategy. 2006. No. 15, 4. P. 883-908.
- Article Schoors K., Sonin K. Passive Creditors // International Finance. 2005. No. 8 (1). P. 57-86.
- Article Mikoucheva A., Sonin K. Information Revelation and Efficiency in Auctions // Economics Letters. 2004. No. 83. P. 277-284.
- Article Sonin K. Why the Rich May Favor Protection of Property Rights // Journal of Comparative Economics. 2003. No. 31 (4). P. 715-731.
- Article Sonin K. Krull Dimension of Malcev-Neumann Rings // Communications in Algebra. 1998. No. 26 (9). P. 2915-2931.
Editorial board membership
2011: Member of the Editorial Board, European Journal of Political Economy.
2011–2019: Member of the Editorial Board, Journal of European Economic Association.
2009–2019: Member of the Editorial Board, Journal of Comparative Economics.
Konstantin Sonin, a professor of economics and vice rector at the HSE about flexibility and stability.
Konstantin Sonin, a professor of economics and vice rector at the HSE about Precarious Pessimism
Konstantin Sonin, a professor of economics and vice rector at the HSE about halting of integration process of Ukraine in Europe
Konstantin Sonin, a professor of economics and vice rector at the HSEconomics about 'yesterday's news'.
Konstantin Sonin, a professor of economics and vice rector at the HSE says that Navalny's 27% is a win for entire nation.
Konstantin Sonin, professor at HSE Department of Institutional Economics, spoke about HSE on its 20th anniversary.
We can hardly believe it, but the 2019 session of RSSIA has already come to an end! We received more than 100 applications, but only 24 of the strongest research proposals were accepted. Participants came from a wide range of countries: China, Belgium, Germany, India, Iran, Italy, Philippines, and Russia.
HSE Seminar on Political Economy: Natalia Naumenko (Brown University) about the impact of the 1933 Soviet famine on population and urbanization patterns
Natalia Naumenko studied the impact of the 1933 Soviet famine on population and urbanization patterns and argued that the shortage of labor during the crucial years of rapid industrialization hindered the development of cities in areas struck by the famine.
HSE Seminar on Political Economy: Inna Zaitseva (HSE) about the “Moneyball” phenomenon and players' incentives in football
Inna Zaitseva studied players' incentives to exert different levels of effort in different games. The hypothesis of her research suggests that players can express their loyalty to the values of their club by increasing the level of effort in matches, which are considered as principal for the club. One of the explicit criteria for principal matches in football is a derby status of a game. This research demonstrates, that players in Bundesliga in season 2017-2018 exerted a greater level of effort in home derby games, which supports the idea of players’ loyalty to club’s values.
Moscow has hosted the second International Conference on the Economics of Football, organized by HSE, the New Economic School, and the Centre for Strategic Development. One of the most topical discussions at the conference was the impact of the 2018 World Cup on the development of the Russian regions, the sporting industry, and the economy as a whole.
We continue talking about universities that are alongside HSE in the 51–100 group in various subject areas in the QS ranking. Today we have economists speaking about their ‘neighbours in the ranking’.
On its 25th anniversary, HSE has published a book - Other Cities - a collection of stories by the University’s staff about over 80 cities throughout Russia and the rest of the world, where the authors used to live and work, and which directly contributed to their personal and academic paths. The book won’t be on sale, but we will give it to you by making a donation to a hospice.
From July 2 – 7, 2016, the 10th Russian Summer School on Institutional Analysis (RSSIA) took place just outside of Moscow. This event traditionally attracts experts in various areas of institutional research, as well as young researchers, for whom the School is a chance to work on projects under the supervision of leading scholars.
At the beginning of ‘Nobel Week,’ HSE Professor Konstantin Sonin gave his traditional prediction on his blog, forecasting who might win this year’s Nobel Prize in Economics. The winner will be determined on October 12.
HSE Professor Konstantin Sonin has accepted an invitation from Chicago University to serve as a Professor in its Harris Graduate School of Public Policy Studies. Chicago University is one of the world’s top 10 academic institutions, and the Harris School is one of the United States’ top 5 analytical centers on public policy.
Does the economy influence the way people bring up their children? How can we determine and measure a child’s utility? How can parenting styles be categorized in an economic model? These are the questions that Professor Fabricio Zilibotti of the University of Zurich addressed in his honorary lecture ‘Parenting with Style’, which he delivered at the April International Academic Conference.
The Summer University at the Higher School of Economics, which brought 42 students from 11 countries together for six weeks, has ended. Students of all ages who studied at the university spoke about their impressions of the HSE, the unexpected knowledge they gained, and about continuing education in general.
The HSE was one of the first Russian universities that adopted the tenure track system, well-known in western universities. Vice Rector Konstantin Sonin and Martin Gilman, Director of the Centre for Advanced Studies, cast some light on how this system functions at the HSE in the April issue of the HSE Look.
Sebastian Galiani, Professor of Economics at the University of Maryland and Visiting Professor at Universidad de San Andres, will deliver a public lecture at the HSE’s XV April International Academic Conference on Economic and Social Development. In advance of next week's Conference, the HSE News Service conducted this brief interview with Professor Galiani.
A new weekly seminar, ‘Football Economics’, headed by Konstantin Sonin and Dmitry Dagaev, is starting at the HSE. The first session will take place on January 28, 2014. The seminar aims to look at how the professional football industry works.
Konstantin Sonin, Director of Microeconomic Research and Professor of the Higher School of Economics (the HSE) Subdepartment of Institutional Economics, was appointed Vice Rector of the HSE on August 1, 2013.
On June 26, 2013, a conference ‘Studying Institutions and Development in Russia: New Data and New Approaches’ began at the HSE. Andrey Yakovlev, Director of the HSE Institute for Industrial and Market Studies, told us about the aims and purpose of the conference.
In September 2011 a joint undergraduate programme was launched by the Higher School of Economics and the New Economic School. Vladimir Avtonomov, Dean of the HSE Faculty of Economics, and Konstantin Sonin, Vice Rector of the New Economic School (NES), told us more about the programme.