David Andrew Leon
- Chief Research Fellow:International Laboratory for Population and Health
1971-74 : Trinity College, Cambridge. BA (Hons) 2.1 Social and Political Science.
1991 : PhD in Epidemiology, LSHTM
Editorial board membership
2011: Member of the Editorial Board, Emerging Themes in Epidemiology.
2001–2017: Editor-in-chief, International Journal of Epidemiology.
2000 - Professor of Epidemiology
2014 - part-time appointment as Adjunct Professor of Epidemiology at the Arctic University, Tromsø, Norway
1998 – 2000 Reader in Epidemiology, LSHTM
1992 - 1998 Senior Lecturer in Epidemiology, LSHTM.
1985 - 1992 Lecturer in Epidemiology, London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine.
1980 - 1985 Cancer Research Campaign Research Fellow, City University.
1977 - 1980 Community & Environmental Studies Unit, U of London Institute of Urology.
'Visiting' and honorary appointments and degrees
2001 : Honorary Doctorate, Faculty of Medicine, University of Uppsala, Sweden
2000-15 Visiting Professor, Department of Social Medicine, University of Bristol
2004-12 Visiting Scientist, MRC Social and Public Health Sciences Unit, Glasgow
2005- Visiting Professor, Centre for Health Equity Studies, U of Stockholm, Sweden
2008 Honorary Academician, Izhevsk State Medical Academy, Izhevsk, Russian Federation
2011 Visiting scholar, L’Institut national d’études démographiques (INED), Paris
- Article Attia, I. Z., Tseng, A. S., Benavente, E. D., Medina-Inojosa, J. R., Clark, T. G., Malyutina, S. .., Leon D. A., Lopez-Jimenez, F. External validation of a deep learning electrocardiogram algorithm to detect ventricular dysfunction // International Journal of Cardiology. 2021. No. 329. P. 130-135. doi
- Article Iakunchykova, O., Schirmer, H., Leong, D., Malyutina, S., Ryabikov, A., Averina, M., Leon D. A. Heavy alcohol drinking and subclinical echocardiographic abnormalities of structure and function // Open Heart. 2021. Vol. 8. No. 1. Article e001457. doi
- Article Cook S., Saburova L., Bobrova N., Avdeeva E., Malyutina S., Kudryavtsev A. V., Leon D. A. Socio-demographic, behavioural and psycho-social factors associated with depression in two Russian cities // Journal of Affective Disorders. 2021. Vol. 290. P. 202-210. doi
- Article Diez Benavente E., Jimenez-Lopez, F., Attia, Z. I., Malyutina, S., Kudryavtsev, A., Ryabikov, A., Friedman, P. A., Leon D. A. Studying accelerated cardiovascular ageing in Russian adults through a novel deep-learning ECG biomarker // Wellcome Open Research. 2021. Vol. 6. P. 1-12. doi
- Article Iakunchykova, O., Averina, M., Wilsgaard, T., Malyutina, S., Kudryavtsev, A. V., Cook, S. .., Leon D. A. What factors explain the much higher diabetes prevalence in Russia compared with Norway? Major sex differences in the contribution of adiposity. // BMJ Open Diabetes Research and Care. 2021. Vol. 9. No. 1. Article e002021. doi
- Article Leon D. A., Yom-Tov E., Johnson A. M., Petticrew M., Williamson E., Lampos V., Cox I. What on‐line searches tell us about public interest and potential impact on behaviour in response to minimum unit pricing of alcohol in Scotland // Addiction. 2021. Vol. 116. No. 8. P. 2008-2015. doi
- Article Leon D. A., Shkolnikov V., Smeeth L., Magnus P., Pechholdová M., Jarvis C. COVID-19: a need for real-time monitoring of weekly excess deaths // The Lancet. 2020. Vol. 395. No. 10234. Article E81. doi
- Article Cook S., Kudryavtsev A. V., Bobrova N., Saburova L., Denisova D., Malyutina S., Lewis G., Leon D. A. Prevalence of symptoms, ever having received a diagnosis and treatment of depression and anxiety, and associations with health service use amongst the general population in two Russian cities // BMC Psychiatry. 2020. Vol. 20. P. 537. doi
- Article Petersen J., Kontsevaya A., McKee M., Richardson E., Cook S., Malyutina S., Kudryavtsev A. V., Leon D. A. Primary care use and cardiovascular disease risk in Russian 40–69 year olds: a cross-sectional study // Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health. 2020 doi
- Article Trias-Llimós S., Pennells L., Tverdal A., Kudryavtsev A., Malyutina S., Hopstock L. A., Iakunchykova O., Nikitin Y., Magnus P., Kaptoge S., Di Angelantonio E., Leon D. A. Quantifying the contribution of established risk factors to cardiovascular mortality differences between Russia and Norway // Scientific Reports. 2020. Vol. 10. No. 20796. P. 1-8. doi
- Article Danilova I., Shkolnikov V., Andreev E. M., Leon D. A. The changing relation between alcohol and life expectancy in Russia in 1965–2017 // Drug and Alcohol Review. 2020. Vol. 39. No. 7. P. 790-796. doi
- Article Shkolnikov V., Churilova E., Jdanov D., Shalnova S., Nilssen O., Kudryavtsev A., Cook S., Malyutina S., McKee M., Leon D. A. Time trends in smoking in Russia in the light of recent tobacco control measures: synthesis of evidence from multiple sources // BMC Public Health. 2020. Vol. 20. No. 378. P. 1-11. doi
- Article Petersen J., Malyutina S., Ryabikov A., Kontsevaya A., Kudryavtsev A. V., Eggen A. E., McKee M., Cook S., Hopstock L. A., Schirmer H., Leon D. A. Uncontrolled and apparent treatment resistant hypertension: a cross-sectional study of Russian and Norwegian 40–69 year olds // BMC Cardiovascular Disorders. 2020. Vol. 20. No. 135. P. 1-11. doi
- Article Petersen J., Kontsevaya A., McKee M., Kudryavtsev A. V., Malyutina S., Cook S., Leon D. A. Untreated hypertension in Russian 35-69 year olds - a cross-sectional study // Plos One. 2020. Vol. 15. No. 5. P. 1-12. doi
- Preprint Leon D. A., Jarvis C., Johnson A., Smeeth L., Shkolnikov V. What can trends in hospital deaths from COVID-19 tell us about the progress and peak of the pandemic? An analysis of death counts from England announced up to 25 April 2020 / medRxiv. Series COVID-19 SARS-CoV-2 "medRxiv ". 2020. doi
- Article lakunchykova O., Averina M., Wilsgaard T., Watkins H., Malyutina S., Ragino Y., Keogh R. H., Kudryavtsev A., Govorun V., Cook S., Schrimer H., Eggen A. E., Hopstock L. A., Leon D. A. Why does Russia have such high cardiovascular mortality rates? Comparisons of blood-based biomarkers with Norway implicate non-ischaemic cardiac damage // Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health. 2020. Vol. 74. P. 698-704. doi
Selected research grants and contract after 2010
|2014-2019||Cardiovascular Disease in Russia (Norwegian Ministry of Health)|
|2013-2019||Cardiovascular Disease in Russia (UiT Arctic University of Norway)|
|2013-2017||Cardiovascular Disease in Russia : Strategic Award (Wellcome Trust)|
|2010-2016||2012 Birth Cohort Study – The Life Study (ESRC & MRC)|
|2011-2013||Reimbursement for time of Life Study SSC member (UCL)|
|2006-2011||Alcohol and mortality in Russia: from aetiology to intervention (Wellcome Trust)|
Every year : One or more lectures and several practicals on Term 1 Extended Epidedemiology Course, including in some years the Introductory lecture
2004-2019 Lectures and seminar leader on study Unit : Epidemiology of Non-Communicable Diseases
2011-2019 Lecture and round table discussion on Term 1 course : Epidemiology in Practice
2017-19 Co-organiser Epidemiology & Omics term 1 module for MSc Epi
University of Cambridge
2014 – 2018 External examiner MPhil in Public Health
University of Oxford
2014 - 2019 Master class in Epidemiology for MSc in Global Health Science
2014 Co-organiser of 2 week course on Epidemiology for International Epidemiological Association held in Vilnius, Lithuania
Ilona Kopilova 1995 – 1998 Royal Society & Swedish Academy, co-supervisor
Lisa Hall 1998 - 2006 Wellcome Trust, primary supervisor
Katrin Lang 1999 – 2005 World Bank, primary supervisor
Susan Morton 1998 – 2002 Commonwealth Scholarships Commission, primary supervisor
Susannah Tomkins 2002 - 2006 Part-time staff, primary supervisor
Juliet Addo 2004 - 2008 Wellcome Trust, co-supervisor
Anna Goodman 2006 - 2009 MRC/ESRC, primary supervisor
Kristina Stanfield 2006- British Heart Foundation Interruption of studies 2010, died 2013, primary supervisor
Sarah Cook 2009-2012 MRC, primary supervisor
Katherine Keenan 2009-2013 ESRC, primary supervisor
Yume Imahori 2016-2019 Primary supervisor, viva April 2019 (minor revisions)
- Towards an understanding of why Russia has such high cardiovascular mortality. University of Groningen, Netherlands
- Rising to the challenge of cardiovascular mortality in Russia: preliminary results from a 360-degree Assessment. St Anthony’s College, Oxford
- Understanding levels and trends in Russia’s CVD mortality compared to other countries. All-Russian
- Scientific Conference "Non-Communicable Diseases and Health Promotion in Russia" National Research Centre for Preventive Medicine, Moscow
- Life expectancy and cardiovascular disease in Russia : New insights and outstanding issues. Richard Doll Seminar, University of Oxford
The Human Capital Multidisciplinary Research Center, together with the Vishnevsky Institute of Demography and the International Laboratory for Population and Health, organized the first demographic readings in memory of HSE University Professor Anatoly Vishnevsky, the first director of the Institute. The experts in attendance discussed a wide range of topics, including family policy, how to improve the conditions of low-income people, and how to correct market and employment setbacks.
On April 24, the regular seminar of the Modern Demography series was held. At the seminar, David A. Leon (Chief Research Fellow at the HSE University; Professor of Epidemiology at the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine; Adjunct Professor at the UiT The Arctic University of Norway) presented the report "Challenges in interpreting the mortality impact of COVID-19".
The interview with Professor Leon