- Research Assistant:HSE Campus in St. Petersburg / Saint-Petersburg School of Social Sciences and Area Studies / Laboratory for Social and Cognitive Informatics
- Postgraduate Student, Lecturer:HSE Campus in St. Petersburg / Saint-Petersburg School of Social Sciences and Area Studies / Department of Sociology
- Sergei Pashakhin has been at HSE University since 2016.
The duties of the research assistant include work in group projects, participation in regular scientific seminars, conferences, workshops, and summer schools organized by the Laboratory, as well as administrative duties.
Degree in Social Work
Tomsk State University of Control Systems and Radioelectronics
Continuing education / Professional retraining / Internships / Study abroad experience
- Empowering Your Academic Writing in English: Academic vs. General, Higher School of Economics, September 30—November 24, 2019.
- Social Media Theory and Research, Radboud University, Nijmegen, 1–5 July 2019.
- FRRESH Spring Seminar / FIRST Intensive Course, Finnish-Russian Network for Russian and Eurasian Studies in Social Science and Humanities, St.Petersburg, 18–24 March 2019.
- Web Science Summer School (WWSSS’17), ITMO & HSE, St.Petersburg, 1–8 July 2017.
Young Faculty Support Program (Group of Young Academic Professionals)
Category "New Researchers" (2019-2020)
2nd year of study
Approved topic of thesis: The role of news media gatekeeping in digital public sphere
Academic Supervisor: Koltsova, Olessia
- Chapter Koltsov S., Ignatenko V., Pashakhin S. Fast Tuning of Topic Models: An Application of Rényi Entropy and Renormalization Theory, in: Proceedings of the 5th International Electronic Conference on Entropy and Its Applications Vol. 46. Issue 1. MDPI AG, 2020. Ch. 5. P. 1-8. doi
- Article Koltsova O., Pashakhin S. Agenda Divergence in A Developing Conflict: A Quantitative Evidence from A Ukrainian and A Russian TV Newsfeeds // Media, War and Conflict. 2019. P. 1-21. doi
- Chapter Koltsov S., Pashakhin S., Dokuka S. A Full-Cycle Methodology for News Topic Modeling and User Feedback Research, in: Lecture Notes in Computer Science (including subseries Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence and Lecture Notes in Bioinformatics). 10th International Conference on Social Informatics, SocInfo 2018; St.Petersburg. Cham: Springer, 2018. P. 308-321. doi
- Preprint Koltsova O., Pashakhin S. Agenda Divergence in a Developing Conflict: A Quantitative Evidence from a Ukrainian and a Russian TV Newsfeeds / National Research University Higher School of Economics. Series WP BRP "Basic research program". 2017. No. 79/SOC/2017.
- Chapter Pashakhin S. Topic Modeling for Frame Analysis of News Media, in: Proceedings of the Artificial Intelligence and Natural Language AINL FRUCT 2016 Conference, Saint-Petersburg, Russia, 10-12 November 2016 / Сост.: S. I. Balandin, А. Фильченков, Л. М. Пивоварова, J. Zizka. FRUCT Oy, 2016. P. 103-106.
- 2019Межкампусная конференция по Digital Humanities «DH Meet-Up HSE» (Москва). Presentation: Тематическое моделирование как инструмент мягкой кластеризации социальных науках
- St. Petersburg Conference on Inequality and Diversity (Санкт-Петербург). Presentation: Media Diets and News Agendas Online: A Case of the 2017 Protests in Russia
- 19th Annual Aleksanteri Conference “Technology, Culture, and Society in the Eurasian Space" (Хельсинки). Presentation: Media Diets and News Agendas Online: A Case of the 2017 Protests in Russia
- 201868th Annual Conference of the International Communication Association: Voices (Прага). Presentation: Agenda Divergence in a Developing Conflict: A Quantitative Evidence from A Ukrainian and a Russian TV Newsfeeds
- The 10th International Conference on Social Informatics (Socinfo2018) (Saint Petersburg). Presentation: A full-cycle methodology for news topic modeling and user feedback research
- 20175th International Conference COMPARATIVE MEDIA STUDIES IN TODAY’S WORLD: Media Transformations in Times of Technological Boom and Political Polarization (Saint Petersburg). Presentation: The Representation of Ukrainian Crisis in News: Frame Analysis with Topic Modelling
- 2016Artificial Intelligence and Natural Language (AINL) 2016 (Санкт-Петербург). Presentation: Topic Modeling for Frame Analysis of News Media
2019—present – RSF supported project ‘Fakenews: political news on Russia and its neighbors on social media: major content features, factors of trust and news truthfulness detection by users of different countries’ (PI – Olessia Koltsova)
2018—present – RFBR supported project ‘Socio-political News Spread in Russian Language Online Social Network’ (PI – Sergei Koltsov)
- Python Programming Language and Social Networks (Master’s programme; Saint-Petersburg School of Social Sciences and Area Studies; 1 year, 3, 4 module)Eng
On October 23-25 the Laboratory for Internet Studies took part in Aleksanteri Conference in Helsinki.
It has been become such a good tradition to obtain "gifts" from HSE Academic Fund at the Christmas Eve!
We are happy to congratulate our colleagues on the enrollment at the Full-time HSE Advanced Doctoral Programme!
Академическая аспирантура пополнилась двумя аспирантами-сотрудниками ЛИНИС.
International Communication Association (ICA) announced the results of the best-paper contest. In the section of political communication studies, the article by Sergei Pashahin, Olessya Koltsova and Svetlana Alexeeva was named the best paper in this category.
Staff of LINIS presented their papers at the International conference Artificial Intelligence and Natural Language-2016 (AINL) held 10-12 November in Saint-Petersburg (Russia).