Ronald G. Suny
- Chief Research Fellow:HSE Campus in St. Petersburg / St. Petersburg School of Social Sciences and Humanities / Centre for Historical Research
- Article Suny R. G. Embattled Histories: Rethinking the Soviet Experience and Communism in the Twentieth Century // Perspectives on Politics. 2017 (in print)
- Article Suny R. G. Finland and Georgia: National Movements and Revolution // Ab imperio. 2017 (in print)
- Book Suny R. G. Red Flag Unfurled: Historians, the Russian Revolution, and the Soviet Experience. Verso books, [б.г.]. (in print)
- Book Suny R. G., Kivelson V. A. Russia's Empires. Oxford University Press, [б.г.]. (in print)
- Article Suny R. G. Рецензия на книгу Adrian Brisku "Albanian and Georgian Discourses on Europe, 1878-2008" // European History Quarterly. 2015. No. 45. P. 367-368.
- Article Suny R. G. Рецензия на книгу Bartov, Omer, and Eric D. Weitz, eds."Shatterzone of Empires: Coexistence and Violence in the German, Habsburg, Russian, and Ottoman Borderlands" // Austrian History Yearbook. 2015. No. 46. P. 389-390.
- Article Suny R. G. Рецензия на книгу «The Oxford Handbook of the History of Nationalism» (под ред. John Breuilly). // English Historical Review. 2015. No. 130 (543). P. 513-515.
- Chapter Сюни Р. Г. The young Stalin and the 1905 revolution in Georgia // В кн.: The Making of Modern Georgia, 1918-2012: The First Georgian Republic and its Successors. Routledge, 2014. С. 285-315.
- Book The Structure of Soviet History: Russia, the Soviet Union, and the Successor States in the Twentieth Century / Ed. by R. G. Suny. Oxford University Press, 2003.
- Book Intellectuals and the Articulation of the Nation / Отв. ред.: R. G. Suny, M. D. Kennedy. Ann Arbor : University of Michigan Press, 1999.
- Book Suny R. G. The Soviet Experiment: Russia, the USSR, and the Successor States. Oxford University Press, 1998.
- Book Making Workers Soviet: Power, Class, and Identity / Отв. ред.: R. G. Suny, L. H. Siegelbaum. Ithaca, NY : Cornell University Press, 1994.
- Book The Russian Revolution and Bolshevik Victory: Visions and Revisions / Отв. ред.: R. G. Suny, A. Adams. Lexington : D. C. Heath, 1990.
- Book Suny R. G. Armenia in the Twentieth Century. Chico : Scholars Press, 1983.
- Book Suny R. G. The Baku Commune, 1917-1918: Class and Nationality in the Russian Revolution. Princeton University Press, 1972.
Within the International Research Project "Comparative Historical Studies of Empire and Nationalism" parctipated in the following conferences and seminars:
5.06.2015 - 6.06.2015 - Conference "Ruptures and Continuities in Histories of Empire: Federalism, Regionalism, and Autonomies As Alternative Political Imaginaries of Post-Imperial Political Order"; 4.06.2015 - 11.06.2015 summer school "Comparative Historical Studies of Empire and Nationalism":
Presentation «Crises of empire in the Russian and Ottoman history»; roundtable «Cosmopolitan historiography of Russia's history and culture»
- Oberlin College Grants in Aid; H. H. Powers Travel Grants, Summer 1970; January 1975; Summer 1979; Research Status Appointments, 1971- 1972; 198O-1981.
- International Research and Exchanges Board Grant to the USSR, 1971-1972; 1975-1976; 1992.
- Fulbright Grant for research in the USSR, 1975-1976.
- Senior Fellow at the Russian Institute, Columbia University, Spring 1976.
- National Endowment for the Humanities Fellowship (Category A), 1980-1981; Summer Stipend, 1993.
- Fellow at Russian Research Center, Harvard University, 1980-1981. H.H. Rackham Grant, Summer 1982; Faculty Fellowship and Grant (for research in Finland), summer 1985; Faculty Fellowship (for research in Russia), summer 1993.
- John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Fellowship, 1983-1984.
- Title VIII Soviet and East European Studies Research Fellowship, Hoover Institution on War, Revolution and Peace, January-March, June-August 1987.
- National Council for Soviet and East European Research, 1991-1992. 2
- Arthur H. Dadian Armenian Heritage Award of the Armenian Students' Association of America, June 20, 1992.
- Elected to International Heritage Hall of Fame, Cobo Center, Detroit, MI, April 30, 1993.
- Fellow, Center for International Security and Arms Control, Stanford University, 1996.
- Research and Writing Grant, Program on Global Security and Sustainability, John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation, 1998-1999.
- Appointments at the Center for Advanced Study in the Behavioral Sciences, Palo Alto, CA, 2001-2002, 2005-2006.
- Middle East Studies Association Academic Freedom Award, 2005, for organizing the Workshop for Armenian-Turkish Scholarship (WATS).
- Richard Hudson Research Professor of History, The University of Michigan, Fall 2008.
- Everett and Marian Gordon Fellowship, United States Holocaust Museum, JulyDecember 2013.
- ASEEES 2013 Distinguished Contributions to Slavic, East European, and Eurasian Studies Award, presented November 23, 2013.
- Berlin Prize, Anna-Marie Kellen Fellow, American Academy in Berlin, JanuaryMay 2014
Head of the International Research Project "Comparative Historical Studies of Empire and Nationalism"
HSE - Saint-Petersburg
Charles Tilly Collegiate Professor of Social and Political History
The University of Michigan
September 1981 – current (34 years)
I am professor of history and political science at the University of Michigan, and Emeritus Professor of Political Science and History at the University of Chicago
Professor of Political Science and History
University of Chicago
September 1994 – September 2005 (11 years)
Associate Professor of History
September 1968 – July 1981 (12 years)
In December 2015, leading international academic Ronald Suny chaired a seminar at HSE St Petersburg on Imperial Transformations – Russian, Soviet and Post-Soviet History, which was part of the international research project Comparative Historical Studies of Empire and Nationalism.
Professor Ronald G. Suny, head of the international research project "Comparative Historical Studies of Empire and Nationalism", today celebrates his 75th birthday!
On August 3rd-8th 2015, a working group from the International Research Project ‘Comparative Historical Studies of Empire and Nationalism’ took part in the ICCEES Congress in Japan.
On August 3rd-8 th 2015, a working group from the International Research Project ‘Comparative Historical Studies of Empire and Nationalism’ took part in the ICCEES Congress in Japan.
Zelenogorsk hosted an international conference on the history of diverse societies, as well as on the history of nationalism. The conference, which was called ‘Ruptures and Continuities in Histories of Empire: Federalism, Regionalism, and Autonomies as Alternative Political Imaginaries of Post-Imperial Political Order’, was organized by the Department of History at HSE - St. Petersburg and drew leading experts in the field of ‘new imperial history’.
On April 23, 2015 an article by Professor Ronald G. Suny, Head of the International Research Project “Comparative Historical Studies of Empire and Nationalism” of the HSE at Saint-Petersburg, "The Cost of Turkey’s Genocide Denial" was published in The New York Times.
Princeton University Press has recently published a new book by Professor Ronald Suny, Head of the International Research Project “Comparative Historical Studies of Empire and Nationalism”. The book is entitled "They Can Live in the Desert but Nowhere Else": A History of the Armenian Genocide.
Ronald Grigor Suny, Academic Director of international research project 'Comparative Historical Studies of Empire and Nationalism' spoke at 'Al Jazeera America' on the topic "Bringing awareness to the tragic Armenian genocide".