- Head, Professor:HSE Campus in St. Petersburg / St. Petersburg School of Social Sciences and Humanities / Department of History
- Director:HSE Campus in St. Petersburg / St. Petersburg School of Social Sciences and Humanities / Centre for Historical Research
- Alexander Semyonov has been at HSE since 2011.
Education and Degrees
Central European University
Master in History
Central European University, History
Research projects, awards and professional experience
2000-present, co-founder and co-editor of "Ab Imperio: Studies of New Imperial History and Nationalism in the Post-Soviet Space"
2014-present, Co-Director of the International Research Project "Comparative Historical Studies of Empire and Nationalism"
2009- Editor of the volume "Empire and Nationalism at War" in the project "Russia’s Great War and Revolution, 1914-1922: A Centennial Reappraisal"
2010, Mellon Foundation European Scholar Fellow and Associate Visiting Professor, University of Chicago (USA)
2009, Associate Visiting Professor, History Department, University of Michigan (USA)
2008-09, Methodology and curriculum expert (based in Smolny Institute) for the Russian Ministry of Education's project "The Program for the Advancement of Religious (Muslim) Education"
2006-2008, Research fellow of the collaborative project "Languages of Self-Description and Representation in the Russian Empire" Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz
2006-07, Methodology and curriculum expert (based in Smolny Institute) for the Russian Ministry of Education's project "Innovative Educational Ecology in a Classical University"
2007, Research fellow at the Center forEuropean Studies, Rutgers University (USA)
2004-2005, Academic director of the “Building Democracy in Multi-Ethnic Societies” Project of the US Department of State’s Freedom Support Educational Partnerships Program, Rutgers University (US), Kazan State University (Russia), on a rotating basis.
2001-2003, Bibliography expert, History of the Russian Empire in Comparative PerspectiveProject (The Central European University, the Open Society Institute)
1999-2000, Visiting Scholar at the W. Averell Harriman Institute, Columbia University (USA)
Student Term / Thesis Papers
L. Boliachevets «Questions of Post-Imperial Political Order in the Political Thought of the Eurasianism Movement, 1921-1938». St. Petersburg School of Social Sciences and Humanities, 2016
K. Litvinenko «Soviet Architects in Viborg: Production of Heritage and Archeology of the Periphery in the Borderland City 1940s – 1960s». St. Petersburg School of Social Sciences and Humanities, 2016
S. Strugatskaya «Discussions About the Features of the National Policy of the Soviet Union Towards the Jews by the Example of Magazines "Tribune" and "Revolution and Nationality", 1925 - 1937». St. Petersburg School of Social Sciences and Humanities, 2016
Research fellow at the University of Regensburg (July-August 2016), presented a lecture "New Approaches to the History of the Russian Empire and the Soviet Union: Politics of Diversity and Imperial Transformations" at the research seminar of the graduate school studies in Eastern and South - Eastern Europe in the Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich and the University of Regensburg
- Applied History in Area Studies: Russia, Eurasia, BRICS (Master’s programme; St. Petersburg School of Social Sciences and Humanities; programme "Applied and Interdisciplinary History "Usable Pasts""; 2 year, 1, 2 module)
- Comparative History of Empires (Bachelor’s programme; St. Petersburg School of Social Sciences and Humanities; programme "History"; 3 year, 3 module)
Membership in editorial boards of scholarly series and publications
Co-founder and member of the editorial board of the international quarterly Ab Imperio: Studies of New Imperial History and Nationalism in Post-Soviet Space
Member of the editorial board of the public educational portal "Network of Empire and Nationalism Studies"
Member of the editorial board of the book series "New Boundaries" New Publishing House, Moscow, Russia
- Article Semyonov A., Gerasimov I., Glebov S., Каплуновский А., Mogilner M. From the editors // Ab imperio. 2015. Vol. 2. P. 17-23.
- Article Semyonov A., Gerasimov I., Glebov S., Каплуновский А., Mogilner M. Time, forward! Discussion of historical time, Pasts' Futures, and History Manifesto by David Armitage and Jo Guldi // Ab imperio. 2015. Vol. 1. P. 15-20.
- Article Gerasimov I., Glebov S., Kaplunovski A., Mogilner M., Semyonov A. Do the "Assemblage Points" exist? // Ab imperio. 2014. Vol. 1. P. 9-21.
- Article Gerasimov I., Glebov S., Kaplunovski A., Mogilner M., Semyonov A. From the Editors // Ab imperio. 2014. Vol. 2. P. 13-16.
- Article Semyonov A., Gerasimov I., Glebov S., Mogilner M., Каплуновский А. From the editors: Making sense of an embarrassment of riches: Discipline or celebrate? // Ab imperio. 2014. Vol. 4. P. 14-18.
- Article Semyonov A., Gerasimov I., Glebov S., Mogilner M., Каплуновский А. From the editors: Time gaps (bezvremenie) as “the moment of truth” // Ab imperio. 2014. Vol. 3. P. 17-21.
- Book The Empire and Nationalism at War / Науч. ред.: E. Lohr, V. Tolz, A. Semyonov, M. von Hagen. Bloomington : Slavica Publications, 2014.
- Chapter Semyonov A. “Greater Britain” into “Greater Russia”: A Case of Imagining Empire and Nation in the Early Twentieth Century Russian Empire, in: Eutropes: The Paradox of European Empire Issue 7: Cahiers Parisiens/Parisian Notebooks. P., Chicago : University of Chicago Center in Paris, 2014. P. 25-48.
- Article Gerasimov I., Glebov S., Kaplunovski A., Mogilner M., Semyonov A. Emancipatory hybridity // Ab imperio. 2013. No. 4. P. 9-15.
- Article Gerasimov I., Glebov S., Kaplunovski A., Mogilner M., Semyonov A. From the editors: The liberty of translating freedom // Ab imperio. 2013. No. 3. P. 16-22.
- Article Gerasimov I., Glebov S., Kaplunovski A., Mogilner M., Semyonov A. Heralds of freedom // Ab imperio. 2013. No. 2. P. 17-23.
- Chapter Semyonov A., Gerasimov I., Mogilner M. Russian Sociology in Imperial Context, in: Sociology and Empire: The Imperial Entanglements of A Discipline. L., Durham : Duke University Press, 2013. Ch. 2. P. 53-82.
- Article Gerasimov I., Glebov S., Каплуновский А., Mogilner M., Semyonov A. The alien origins of freedom // Ab imperio. 2013. No. 1. P. 15-20.
- Chapter Semyonov A. Russian Liberalism and the Problem of Imperial Diversity, in: Liberal Imperialism in Europe / Науч. ред.: M. P. Fitzpatrick. Бейсингсток : Palgrave Macmillan, 2012. P. 67-89.
- Article Semyonov A., Glebov S. The Arc of Thinking About Nationalism in Challenging Time // Ab imperio. 2012. No. 1. P. 245-250.
- Book Конфессия, империя, нация: Религия и проблема разнообразия в истории постсоветского пространства / Науч. ред.: А. М. Семенов, И. В. Герасимов, М. Б. Могильнер. М. : Новое издательство, 2012.
- Book Империя и нация в зеркале исторической памяти: Сборник статей / Науч. ред.: А. М. Семенов, И. В. Герасимов, М. Б. Могильнер. М. : Новое издательство, 2011.
- Article Semyonov A., Mogilner M., Gerasimov I., Burbank J., Cooper F. Interview: the challenge and serendipity of writing world history through the prime of empire // Ab imperio. 2010. No. 2. P. 22-45.
- Chapter Semyonov A. Mirrors of Imperial Imagination in Early Twentieth Century Russia Empire, in: Imperial Victims–Empires as Victims: 44 Views / Ofiary imperiόw - Imperia jako ofiary: 44 spojrzenia / Науч. ред.: A. Nowak. Warsz. : -, 2010. P. 139-152.
- Book Мифы и заблуждения в изучении империи и национализма / Науч. ред.: А. М. Семенов, И. В. Герасимов, М. Б. Могильнер. М. : Новое издательство, 2010.
- Book Semyonov A., Gerasimov I., Mogilner M., Glebov S., Kusber J., Petersen H., Stoler A. L. Empire Speaks Out: Languages of Rationalization and Self-Description in the Russian Empire / Ed. by A. Semyonov, J. Kusber, I. Gerasimov. Vol. 1. Boston, Leiden : Brill Publishing House, 2009.
- Chapter Семенов А. М. Революция 1905 года: ускользающая либеральная альтернатива? // В кн.: Антропология революции / Науч. ред.: И. Прохорова, А. Дмитриев, И. В. Кукулин, М. Майофис. Вып. 76. М. : Новое литературное обозрение, 2009. С. 101-126.
- Article Semyonov A. Empire as a Context Setting Category // Ab imperio. 2008. No. 1. P. 193-204.
- Article Semyonov A. Empire as a moving target // Ab imperio. 2008. No. 2. P. 377-392.
- Chapter Semyonov A. Wither the Liberal Alternative? Historical Memory and Historical Alternatives, in: Das Zarenreich, das Jahr 1905 und seine Wirkungen. Bestandsaufnahmen. Berlin : LIT Verlag, 2007. P. 351-381.
- Book Новая имперская история постсоветского пространства / Науч. ред.: А. М. Семенов, И. В. Герасимов, М. Б. Могильнер, А. Каплуновский, С. В. Глебов. Каз. : Центр Исследований Национализма и Империи, 2004.
- Chapter Семенов А. М. Обзор работы международной конференции «История империй:сравнительные методы в изучении и преподавании» // В кн.: Российская империя в сравнительной перспективе / Отв. ред.: А. И. Миллер. М. : Новое издательство, 2004. С. 15-30.
- Chapter Семенов А. М. Знание как политика и призвание (По материалам истории российской Конституционно-демократической партии) // В кн.: Власть и наука. Ученые и власть. 1880-е—начало 1920-ых годов: Материалы Международного научного коллоквиума / Отв. ред.: Н. Смирнов. СПб. : Дмитрий Буланин, 2003. С. 358-378.
- Article Semyonov A., Anderson B. “We Study Empires as We Do Dinosaurs:” Nations, Nationalism, and Empire in a Critical Perspective. Interview with Ben Anderson // Ab imperio. 2003. No. 3. P. 57-73.
Conferences and public lectures
- Conference in the Institute for Humanities Research and Indigenous Studies of the North, “XX- the beginning of XXI century: research paradigm», December 1-2, 2015, Yakutsk, Republic of Sakha (Yakutia), plenary speech: “Modern approaches to study the history of Empire as a regime of diversity management”
- International Conference “47th Annual ASEEES Convention”, Philadelphia, the United States, November 19-22, 2015, chairman on the round table “Race, Nation, and State on the Imperial Periphery: Siberian and Far Eastern Imperial Situations”
- Conference «Poletaev readings», Moscow, October, 9, 2015, paper theme «Historians «social» и historians «political»: describing the experience of the modernizing empires»
- International Congress “IX ICCEES World Congress”, Mukuhari, Japan, August, 3-8, 2015, Presentation: “Buddhism, Socialism, and Nationalism in Post-Imperial North Asia, 1905–1924” and “The Concept of Minority and Its Making in the Russian Empire of the Duma Period”
- Conference “XVI April International Academic Conference on Economic and Social Development”, Moscow, April 7-10, 2015, Session Moderator: “New methodological approach in history”-1, “New methodological approach in history”-2
- Conference «Local Impacts of Changing International Borders», Berlin, December 2-4, 2014, Presentation «The End of Empires: The Russian Empire».
- Conference “Nordic Exploratory Workshop I”, Jyväskylä, October 17-19, 2014. Presentation: “Imperial Subjecthood, the Redefinition of Political Belonging, and Constitutional Reform in the Romanov Empire in the Early 20th Century”.
- Conference «Deutsche und Russen im Dialog - Kompetenz, Erfahrung, Kontinuität», Berlin, September 26-29, 2014, Discussant at the Workshop „Bildungschancen in der Russischen Föderation“.http://www.go-east-generationen.de/0-aktuelles/forum2014.html
- International Conference “Patriotic Cultures During the World War I” European University at St. Petersburg, St. Petersburg, June 11-13, 2014, Discussant at the panel: “The Patriotism of Occupied Nations”
- Association for the study of nationalities (ASN), 19th Annual World Convention, Columbia University, Harriman Institute, Columbia University, New York City, April 24-26, paper: "Imperial Revolution and Imperial Citizenship in the Russian Empire in Early Twentieth Century".
- International Conference "US-Russia Dual Degree Partnership Network" Bard College, Annandale-on-Hudson, NY, SUNY Global Center, New York City, January 30- February 1, 2014, Moderators' panel: "Recommendations for Governments, Unviversity Administrators, Faculty, and Students."
- Association for Slavic, East European, and Eurasian Studies (ASEEES), 45th Convention, Boston, USA, November 21-24, 2013, panel “Imperial and Anti-Imperial Revolutions and the Russia’s City of the Early Twentieth Century”, paper: “Russianness-Non-Russianness, Center-Periphery, and Federalism and Anti-Federalism: Contexts of the Russian Imperial Revolution”
- International Symposium "Imperial Legacies of the Russian Empire and the USSR: Nations, Territories, and Ideologies" Asia-Pacific Research Center, Hanyang University, Seoul, Republic of Korea, November 7-8, 2013, paper: "Imperial Legacy and the Imperial Revolution in the Russian Empire of the Early Twentieth Century"
- International Research Workshop "Tales of Two Empires: Ottoman and Russian Imperial Studies Compared" Amherst College, USA, November 1-2, 2013, paper: "Empire as a Context Setting Category"
- International Research Workshop "When Postcolonial Meets Postimperial: Sovereignty, Politics of Difference, and Composite Society in Comparative Perspective," National Research University-Higher School of Economics in St. Petersburg, May 27-28, 2013, Chair of the Organizing Committee, Paper: "Invisible Empire? Languages of Rationalization of Imperial Diversity"
- International Conference “In Search of Empire: the 400th Anniversary of the House of Romanov” Columbia University, New York (USA), February 14th-16th 2013, paper: “‘Conservative’ and ‘Revolutionary’ Monarchy: Reflections on the Institutions of the Russian Monarchy in the Age of Mass Politics"
- International conference “Empire and Nationalism in World War I”, St. Petersburg State University, Faculty of Liberal Arts and Sciences, June 8-9, 2012. Chair of the organizing commitee, participant, paper title: “Imperial Revolutions of the Early Twentieth Century”
- International Conference “Making Sense of Exceptionalism and Diversity in Composite Polities and Societies: Past and Present,” Center for the Study of Nationalism and Empire-Ab Imperio, Kazan, Russia Казань, May 17-21, 2012, paper: “Exceptionalism as a Normative Concept”
- IX Sino-Soviet Summer Archive Workshop, Stanford University, Hoover Institution of War Peace and Revolution, US, July 17-31 2011, paper: "Imperial Sovereignty and Political Representation"
Editorial board membership
2000: Member of the Editorial Board, Ab Imperio* (Ab imperio).
Researcher ID Badge
<span id='badgeCont124164' style='width:126px'><script src='http://labs.researcherid.com/mashlets?el=badgeCont124164&mashlet=badge&showTitle=false&className=a&rid=B-1642-2014'></script></span>
- Guest at the program “The War That Changed the World”, BBC, theme: “St. Petersburg: Revolution”
- Talk show of the Radio Echo of St. Petersburg: The Crimea, Ukraine, and Russia, A View from History
- Talk show of the Radio Echo of Moscow: Wither Nationalism in Russia?
Professor and Сhair of the History Department Alexander Semyonov has taken up the position of a visiting fellow at the University of Regensburg (Germany).
On June 16-18, the international conference on anthropology ‘Bordering Religion in (Post) Cold War Worlds’ was held at HSE St. Petersburg. The event was organized by Angie Heo from the University of Chicago Divinity School (USA) and Zhanna Kormina, HSE Professor.
On April 19, 2016, in the HSE within the framework of the 13th German Week in St. Petersburg the international seminar "Federalism and Regionalism in Russia and Germany" took place.
On April 19th, 2016, a seminar on ‘Federalism and Regionalism in Russia and Germany’ took place at HSE in St. Petersburg as part of the 13th German Week in St. Petersburg. The seminar was organized by the Department of History and the Department of Political Science at HSE in St. Petersburg together with the Consulate General of the Federal Republic of Germany in St. Petersburg and the Forum of Federations.
The International Student Research Forum in early February at HSE in St. Petersburg brought together over 300 participants from eight countries.
In December 2015, leading international academic Ronald Suny chaired a seminar at HSE St Petersburg on Imperial Transformations – Russian, Soviet and Post-Soviet History, which was part of the international research project Comparative Historical Studies of Empire and Nationalism.
Professor Peter Strohschneider, President of the German Research Foundation (DFG) awarded a grant to Director of HSE – St. Petersburg Professor Sergey Kadochnikov during his recent visit to HSE. The grant is intended for expanding the library of the Department of History.
On August 3rd-8th 2015, a working group from the International Research Project ‘Comparative Historical Studies of Empire and Nationalism’ took part in the ICCEES Congress in Japan.
On August 3rd-8 th 2015, a working group from the International Research Project ‘Comparative Historical Studies of Empire and Nationalism’ took part in the ICCEES Congress in Japan.
A group of 14 undergraduate and postgraduate students from the Department of History at HSE St. Petersburg took part in a joint research and educational seminar with Humboldt University in Berlin and Bielefeld. The seminar, which was devoted to the culture of historical memory of World War II and Political Regimes of the 20th century, was led by Alexander Semyonov, Head of the Department of History, Dietmar Wulff, Associate Professor at the Department and the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) and Kerstin Bischl of the Humboldt University Chair for the History of Eastern Europe. The trip was made possible thanks to a grant from the German Academic Exchange Service.
Research Seminar for the Students of the Department of History, HSE in St. Petersburg and the Humboldt University in Berlin and Bielefeld
In late June an official delegation from HSE St. Petersburg comprising Sergey Kadochnikov, Alexander Semyonov, Tatyana Alexeeva, Elena Rogova and Christopher Gerry visited Turin university, where they signed an agreement on cooperation.
Zelenogorsk hosted an international conference on the history of diverse societies, as well as on the history of nationalism. The conference, which was called ‘Ruptures and Continuities in Histories of Empire: Federalism, Regionalism, and Autonomies as Alternative Political Imaginaries of Post-Imperial Political Order’, was organized by the Department of History at HSE - St. Petersburg and drew leading experts in the field of ‘new imperial history’.
On Thursday 4th June the Richard Stites Memorial Library opened at HSE St Petersburg. Courtney Nemroff, USA Acting Consul General to St Petersburg was there for the grand opening ceremony.
December 19-21, 2014 the international research project "Comparative Historical Studies of Empire and Nationalism" under directorship of Ronald Suny held a three-day seminar «Imagining Post-Imperial Order: New Historical Study of the Imperial Crisis» in Repino.