Alexander M. Sidorkin
- Leading Research Fellow:Institute of Education
- Alexander M. Sidorkin has been at HSE University since 2013.
So far, my life has been that of a typical academic: two grad schools - one in Russia and one in the States (I was too slow to learn at the first try), climbing the ladder from an assistant professor to a Dean. I worked in five different universities full time - two Russian (including HSE) and three American ones. All that time I have taught various breeds of educators, and was thinking and writing about education. Thats is either because I know nothing else, or because I am convinced that in the future, economy and education will switch places: the latter will serve the former, not the other way around.
Education and Degrees
Doctoral programme in Philosophy of Education
University of Washington, College of Education
Master's in Peace Studies
University of Notre Dame, Peace Studies
Doctoral programme in Education
Russian Academy of Education Institute of Theory and History of Pedagogics, Educational systems
Candidate of Sciences* (PhD) in General Pedagogy, History of Pedagogy and Education
Russian Academy of Education Institute of Theory and History of Pedagogics
Thesis Title: School as a Developing System: Driving Forces and Contradictions
Degree in History and Youth Development
Novosibirsk State Pedagogical University, History
According to the International Standard Classification of Education (ISCED) 2011, Candidate of Sciences belongs to ISCED level 8 - "doctoral or equivalent", together with PhD, DPhil, D.Lit, D.Sc, LL.D, Doctorate or similar. Candidate of Sciences allows its holders to reach the level of the Associate Professor.
Editorial board membership
2014: Editor-in-chief, Russian Education & Society (Russian Education and Society).
2013: Member of the Editorial Council, Studies in Philosophy and Education.
2013: Member of the Editorial Board, Вопросы образования (Educational studies).
2010: Member of the Editorial Council, Сибирский педагогический журнал.
- Article Sidorkin A. M. Baumol’s Cost Disease and the Trinitarian Pedagogy // Studies in Philosophy and Education. 2019. Vol. 38. No. 6. P. 591-600. doi
- Article Sidorkin A. M., Moe M. The Polyphonic Embodied Self and Educational Organization: A Case of Theory Transplantation // Interchange. 2019. Vol. 50. No. 1. P. 25-37. doi
- Chapter Sidorkin A.M. Financial Literacy and the Curricularization of Knowledge, in: International Handbook of Philosophy of Education. Springer, 2018. P. 1223-1234. doi
- Article Sidorkin A. M. The Paranoid Mind and Transcendence // Philosophy of Education Archive. 2018. P. 82-97.
- Book Reforms and Innovation in Education - Implications for the Quality of Human Capital / Ed. by A. M. Sidorkin, M. Warford. Springer, 2017. doi
- Article Sidorkin A. M. Authentic Improvement: A Case for Flexible Faculty Evaluation Policies // Higher Education in Russia and Beyond. 2016. No. 1(7). P. 6-7.
- Article Sidorkin A. M. University Ratings: Imperfect but Indispensable // Higher Education in Russia and Beyond. 2015. No. 2(4). P. 8-10.
- Article Sidorkin A. M. Idolaters, Iconoclasts, and Iconophiles: The Productive Ideal and Philosophy of Education // Philosophy of Education Archive. 2014. P. 302-310.
- Chapter Sidorkin A. M. On the theoretical limits of education, in: Making a Difference in Theory The theory question in education and the education question in theory. L., NY : Routledge, 2014. Ch. 7. P. 121-134.
- Article Сидоркин А. М. Общественно-педагогическая практика в подготовке учителей // Психологическая наука и образование. 2014. Т. 19. № 3. С. 74-77.
- Article Sidorkin A. M. Mad hatters, jackbooted managers, and the massification of higher education // Educational Theory. 2012. Vol. 62. No. 4. P. 487-500.
- Chapter Sidorkin A. M. On the essence of education, in: Making Sense of Education: Fifteen Contemporary Educational Theorists in their own Words. Springer, 2012. Ch. 14. P. 93-99.
- Article Sidorkin A. M. Syllabus, the Genre // Syllabus. 2012. Vol. 1. No. 1
- Article Sidorkin A. M. The Russian Method // Other Education. 2012. Vol. 1. No. 1. P. 61-78 .
- Article Sidorkin A. M. The institution and the virtue // Philosophy of Education Archive. 2012. No. 2012. P. 439-441.
- Article Sidorkin A. M. Doomed to Act: Why Postmodern Education May Be Impossible, Not Just (Im)possible // Journal of Philosophy of Education. 2011. P. 280-282.
- Article Sidorkin A. M. On the Essence of Education // Studies in Philosophy and Education. 2011. P. 521-527.
- Article Sidorkin A. M. Are schools improvable? A rumination on positionality // Journal of Philosophy of Education. 2010. P. 278-285.
- Article Sidorkin A. M. Response to Frank Margonis' Review of Labor of Learning: Market and the Next Generation of Educational Reform // Studies in Philosophy and Education. 2010. Vol. 29. No. 6. P. 577-578.
- Article Sidorkin A. M. Review of Journey into Dialogic Pedagogy (Eugene Matusov) // Power and Education. 2010. Vol. 2. No. 1. P. 109-111.
- Article Sidorkin A. M. Human Capital and Labor of Learning: A Case of Mistaken Identity // Educational Theory. 2007. Vol. 57. No. 2. P. 159-170.
- Article Sidorkin A. M. Is Schooling a Consumer Good?: A Case Against School Choice, But Not the One You Had in Mind // Journal of Philosophy of Education. 2007. P. 75-83.
- Article Sidorkin A. M. Spinoza or Spanish // The Philosophers Magazine. 2007. Vol. 38
- Article Sidorkin A. M. In the Event of Learning // Educational Theory. 2004. Vol. 54. No. 3. P. 251-262.
- Article Sidorkin A. M. Panopticon of the Second Kind: Self-Reforming During the Era of Excellence // Journal of Thought. 2004. P. 17-33.
- Article Sidorkin A. M. Student Labor and Evolution of Education // World Futures: Journal of General Evolution. 2004. Vol. 60. No. 3. P. 183-194.
- Article Sidorkin A. M. The unlikely faces of professional development in urban schools: Preparing at-risk students and colleges for each other // Educational Horizons. 2004. Vol. 83. No. 3. P. 203-212.
- Book Sidorkin A. M. Learning Relations: Impure Education, Deschooled Schools, and Dialogue with Evil. NY : Peter Lang, 2002.
- Article Sidorkin A. M. Lyotard and Bakhtin: Engaged Diversity in Education // Interchange. 2002. Vol. 33. No. 1. P. 85-97.
- Article Sidorkin A. M. Aesthetics and the Paradox of Educational Relation // Journal of Philosophy of Education. 2001. Vol. 35. No. 1. P. 21-30.
- Article Sidorkin A. M. Labor of Learning // Educational Theory. 2001. Vol. 51. No. 1. P. 91-108.
- Article Sidorkin A. M. Authoritarianism and Democracy in Soviet Schools: A Tale of John Dewey’s Ideas and the Woman Who Brought down the Berlin Wall // East/West Education. 2000. Vol. 19. P. 121-130.
- Article Sidorkin A. M. Toward a Pedagogy of Relation // Philosophical Studies in Education. 2000. Vol. 32. P. 9-14.
- Article Sidorkin A. M. Dialogue with Evil // Journal of Thought. 1999. Vol. 34. No. 3. P. 9-19.
- Article Sidorkin A. M. The Fine Art of Sitting on Two Stools: Multicultural Education Between Postmodernism and Critical Theory // Studies in Philosophy and Education. 1999. Vol. 18. No. 3. P. 143-155.
- Article Sidorkin A. M. Authenticity-Dialogicality-Recognition: An Improbable Journey // Philosophical Studies in Education. 1997. P. 83-90.
- Article Sidorkin A. M. Carnival and Third Places: Pedagogies of Neither Care, Nor Justice // Educational Theory. 1997. Vol. 47. No. 2. P. 229-238.
As the global COVID-19 outburst keeps tightening its grip across the dimensions of life, educational institutions worldwide have increasingly sought to migrate to the digital realm amid social distancing policies to flatten the coronavirus curve. In these circumstances, exploring ways to make the utmost of what modern ICT offer for sustaining academia in times when conventional modes of leaning and networking are on hold has become an imperative as vital as perhaps never before. A webinar held earlier this week as part of the IOE 2019/20 series on ‘Educational R&D’ brought together academic leaders and experts from Russia, China, and the U.S. to share best practices in taking university programs online.
IOE doctoral student Irina Shcheglova has recently completed her internship with the Center for Studies in Higher Education at the University of California Berkeley (the USA). Immediately after she returned to Moscow, Irina was thrilled to finally share with IOE fellows about the academic experiences she has gained and her overall impressions of this trip.
A team of IOE researchers has recently visited the Center for Studies in Higher Education at the University of California Berkeley, the U.S. to take part in the international conference New Nationalism and Universities.
Several academic papers by leading experts at the HSE Institute of Education have been featured in Springer’s newly released volume Reforms and Innovation in Education, edited by Alexander M. Sidorkin and Mark K. Warford. The authors explore various factors and processes shaping the relationships between educational reforms, as driven by deep and progressive socioeconomic changes, their effects on innovations across the educational realm, and the implications for the quality of human capital.
One of the chapters in Springer’s newly released academic volume Transforming Education is co-authored by IOE education innovation researcher Diana Koroleva. Entitled Coup D’etat in the Panopticon: Social Networking in Education, the paper has been inspired by a series of seminars in philosophy Diana was attending on her doctoral track at the IOE Graduate School of Education.
On September 12, the winner of the 2016 Innovation in Education (KIvO) award was announced at the EdCrunch International Conference on New Educational Technologies. Taking home the prize this year was The Language of Generations, a social project that pairs up senior citizens from Russia with foreign students who are learning Russian.
Ivan Smirnov graduated from his master’s programme in Paris and hadn’t really considered coming back to Russia. But that was before he learned about the full-time advanced doctoral programme at HSE. The programme has some unique advantages among Russian programmes, which make it comparable to European PhDs.
The summer session of the Competition for Innovators in Education (KIvO), organized by the Higher School of Economics, was recently held in Moscow. Over a four-day period and under the careful watch of respected experts, KIvO participants worked on and developed projects, which will be presented to potential investors at the International Conference on New Educational Technologies EdCruch, slated for September 12-14, 2016 in Moscow.
The Russian social network VK (Vkontakte) is holding a festival in St. Petersburg July 16-17. In addition to concerts by popular groups, sports events and a number of other attractions, visitors will be able to attend lectures by people including representatives of HSE and HSE Lab.
On June 17–18, Deans of Schools of Education from leading research universities gathered in the town of Pushkin, near St. Petersburg, Russia. The Summit entitled “Schools of Education at Research Universities: Challenges, Opportunities, Collaboration” was organized by the Institute of Education, Higher School of Economics, and the Graduate School of Education, Peking University.
On September 13, as part of the EdCrunch 2015 conference devoted to new educational technologies and progressive pedagogical approaches, the final round of the KIvO-2015 Innovations in Education Competition will take place. Below, the head of the Institute of Education’s Centre for the Study of Educational Innovations, Alexander Sidorkin, talks about innovations and the people behind them.
On July 23, 2015 HSE hosted the delegation from University of Central Asia, represented by Mr Shamsh Kassim-Lakha, Executive Chairman, Board Executive Committee and Dr Ariff Kachra, Dean of Academic Affairs.
This year government funding is available for twenty places (4 times more than usual) on the Education and Pedagogical Sciences course at the HSE Postgraduate Institute of Education. Entry exams are in September but 15th May is the deadline for sending in a portfolio to increase your chances of getting a place. Here is a brief description of the course.